Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Is this game going to be worth the premium membership? I pre-ordered premium BF4 without hesitating and don't regret it (aside from :dice: nerfing all the fun stuff). Then I pre-ordered BFH and absolutely regret it.

For me it's going to come down to how much fun can be had loving with recon scouts and tank lords. But who am I kidding I'll probably order the premium anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

drat it I just want to slay some krauts like my great grandfathers before me. Although as I recall both bf4 and bfh had server problems in the early days. Glad to see :dice: still refuses to learn from their mistakes.

E: In fact, IIRC correctly the hardline beta had connection problems, :dice: promised it would be fixed on release day, and had the same problems on release day, for like a week. Then the Division developers said they were postponing release because they didn't want to be like DICE :iceburn: and disappoint fans.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 1, 2016

red19fire
May 26, 2010

For whatever reason it's not displaying the post round stats but whatever this is fun as hell.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Earwicker posted:

my ps4 experience is that the game is good during the fleeting momenets when i can actually get on a server and its not lagged to poo poo.

I haven't played bf betas/demos since the bf2 so i dont know how hopefull to be that they resolve this stuff for the launch?

It takes them like a year after launch to make the game relatively playable and fair, but it's fun as hell for those 6-9 months before they nerf the fun stuff.

OTOH, if it's anything like BFH, if they only listen to the 'community' on reddit it'll be borderline unplayable the whole time and snipers will be untouchable god-kings.

For example, in BF4, they made it so you couldn't shoot UCAVs into bases anymore after enough basecamping sniper babbies complained. and the anti-tank mines used to do a ton of damage, until tanklords complained and they nerfed the damage, plus gave the mines a bright red flashing light on night maps because scanning the area around you for danger is too much to ask. Same with C4, it has to basically be touching the target to do full damage.

Meanwhile, there are still spots on certain maps where k/d whores can glitch into the landscape for a one-way bullet screen that still haven't been fixed.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

This tracked medal business is for the birds.

E; that you have to specify which medal you're after, then do the steps in order is ridiculous. 8 kills in a row with the SMG seems insane to me; the best i could do was 11, but that included using mines to fry a fully loaded heavy tank, then heaving a tank grenade perfectly through a window to nail like 4 snipers at once.

Also it seems they've gotten rid of the mini map showing you where enemies are firing. So good luck because pubbies never use the spot button :thumbsup:

red19fire fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Sep 6, 2016

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I spawned above and behind a squadmate who was on a roof, fell 40 feet, lost 80 health and immediately caught a round from a pistol.

#battelfielddeathconfessions

red19fire
May 26, 2010

quote:

Players that have played the "Battlefield 1" Beta also said that the tanks in the game is almost impossible to defeat because of its new feature that the armor can be repaired while inside the tank, and having a tank can bring huge advantage to the team. So, the players suggest that there will be tank nerfs needed to bring fairness for all the players.

Definitely not a period-correct advantage :classiclol: You better believe teamwork isn't on the list of things for players to consider before nerfing the tanks.

Also there are probably going to be mortars for the support class so we'll have a way to gently caress up snipers. That was the one thing i hated about bfh, snipers as unkillable god-kings.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

2 weeks to go and i'm strongly considering the ultimate edition :negative:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

"I can't quit you" -me, to :dice:

Preordered ultimate package for PS4, :rip: my self dignity.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Philosopher King posted:

I'm hearing conflicting reports that this game is gonna be aviliable at 3am est instead of 12 est.

My countdown on PS4 terminates at 4am :negative:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

first impression: gently caress the behemoth. Also can they throw the cavalry sword, because i was just killed from like 50 feet by one.

E: how are motherfuckers already rank 30 when the game's been out for like 4 hours.

red19fire on ps4, let's all get malaria together and murder Italians.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Oct 18, 2016

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Feenix posted:

Anyone else experiencing this? I feel like I look around, see no one, get shot right away and then realize someone was 10 feet away from me. Maybe it's just the map? I didn't get to play more than one...

That and spawning on a flag only to be instantly gunned down by someone right behind me. :/

Yeah this is happening to me too. The lack of spotting is killing me. I'm also getting one shotted from far away by the starting assault gun, when I know I only do like 13 damage at the same distance. I swear bf4 had the same issue though.

At least there's no Locker/metro super grind map... yet.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

deadwing posted:

have you played the 64 man conquest map in the desert with 3 points with the murder train on the side? because there's your super grind map

Yeah, that's brutal. but at least the mortar is fun if short ranged.

I'm trying to get the squad medal, and one of the things is squad suppression assist. I'm using the Extra Supression machine gun, getting Squad Suppression assist on the screen, and yet it's not counting towards the medal.

Also what happened to assignments?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I take back what I said, the field gun is the ultimate sniper troll. I wish i could reenlist as artillery right now, holy poo poo this is way too much fun.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Joined ps4 bro community. How do you join on other goons? there's only options for inviting people to my personal hell.

E: nevermind, i only check the list while i'm waiting for a game to load.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Am I crazy or is there no ammo to be found anywhere in the single player?

Also, what happened to spotting? I can spot someone but they don't turn up on the mini map. But they do if they're spotted by the flare gun. but not on the screen.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I agree with dunky, this is the battlefield experience: instantly dying no matter what.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1YDaSw8gDM

Maybe :dice: accidentally made a meta statement about the nature of war?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Parkingtigers posted:

No idea, as I don't think I had that bug.

Well I just found my new forward scout gun: the Gewehr 95 infantry. Bolt action ironsights gun that packs a real punch. Thought I'd wasted warbonds on it at first, wasn't clicking on Empire's Edge (but then I got to fire the main Dreadnaught gun, which is a super mega mortar), but on Argonne I suddenly went 35-8 with it, and I am terrible at shootmans. This and the spotting flare so I can get up close and play attack scout is my new jam.

Also went 19-8 on Sinai, but actually literally ran out of ammo at one point because support class people are terrible.

gently caress pubbies. You can stand there for 3 minutes mashing the GIVE AMMO button, I know a big flashing GIVE AMMO icon pops up on their screen, but no, never even crosses their mind to press one button.

Just last night, before I joined the goon murder group, a pubby was on mic yelling at me to drop ammo. Like he ignored the assault emblem over my mans, assault emblem next to my name in the squad, the lack of a prompt to ask for ammo, everything. I just don't get how pubbies are that dumb. Then I switched teams and murked him like 7 times :v:

red19fire fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 24, 2016

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Last night I shot a plane with a tank almost by accident. Best battlefield ever 10/10.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

It's kind of horseshit that once again :dice: doesn't give much of an option to gently caress with snipers, and again gives them the tools to just sit on the edge of the map potshotting, contributing nothing. At least give some range to the mortar, 80m is bullshit.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Finger Prince posted:

Just saw this on imgur

A good use of an airplane.

Does that make it impossible for snipers to get up to that spot? Now I know what I'm doing every time on that map.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

ravinghobo posted:

I try not to, but sometimes I can't resist just going prone after spawning on a sniper squadmate that won't evict his favorite super 1337 spot and just dumping a few long bursts of mg fire into a clump of enemies off in the distance, maybe lighting up a tank that's sort of looking in the sniper's direction, dropping an ammo case and running away.
Sometimes it's hilarious the amount of hatred you can draw towards the spot if you're annoying with a salvo of mortars plopped randomly in a flag being capped that's full of enemies.

My hatred for snipers knows no bounds and I turn into a seventh grader when thinking of ways to mess with the ones that don't contribute.

DID WE JUST BECOME BEST FRIENDS? :allears:

My medal tracking screen hasn't changed since the week after release, is it because I've been in game sessions when the change is supposed to happen?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Beastie posted:

Patch Wishlist:
    Buff spotting, I have to mash it 5 times just to spot a tank.

Remove interior repairs for ground vehicles.

Editable class load-outs outside of round.

Firing range.

Give Support and/or Scout tnt. This may be able to override the "vehicles can't internally repair" complaint.

AA can just chew through aircraft, maybe drop the damage a bit.

Kill all wookies.

I kind of like internal repair, it forces tanklords to leave the 'hot' areas to repair, but on the other hand it's way harder to steal a tank. They need to make the limpet do way more damage, and buff the repair tool for destroying enemy vehicles. Basically make support way more dangerous.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Finger Prince posted:

Anyone else ever get the impression that everyone else's gun is way more powerful than the gun you've got? Like, bad mans are all "that sure is a nice LMG you're unloading into my chest, but check this out: *flicks cigarette in your face*" *dies*

I noticed it too. Like even assault vs. assault at medium range, I could spray all day with the default gun and get like 1-2 hit markers, but the other mans with the same gun can kill me in one 3-4 shot burst.

Also, what counts as an explosive for that one medal? I have to get 5 in a life, and I'm mainly hoping I can get a fully loaded heavy tank with a trio of mines, rather than spamming grenades.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Auxiliary Treats posted:

https://gfycat.com/CreepyTheseHyrax
Thanks for watching my back Red. (You should share your party audio. I would have uploaded the clip just for "You're welcome Snacks." :clint:)

I have no idea how to do that.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I hope they eventually add some basic ribbons to the game, just on the off chance that extra points for doing heals / revives / resupplies in a round might actually get dumbass pubbies to support their teammates once in a while. Finding a good squad just makes the game infinitely more fun.

That or bring back the system where you can go up to a medic or support player and press a button to get aid. Or do both, and make it so they only get points if they actually toss them to a teammate. Gotta slowly condition people over time to not play like selfish pricks.

Yeah, all the assignments from BF4 were tedious but at least forced you to try different things. And taking ammo/health from mans by force was amazing in the beta, I wish they kept that, or having to call for a revive before getting one.

Also for everyone struggling with "get X kills in a life" medals, if you die but get revived your X/5 count doesn't reset, so get a medical friend to keep you alive.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I'd prefer the limpets to be proximity based, rather than time. :dice: has turned it's back on the jihad style of enemy tank management, and those sidecar motorcycles are begging for it.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

moist turtleneck posted:

All boners that ain't in the Slack send me your email so we can discuss butts together in the online

THERES A SLACK?!?!?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Finger Prince posted:

I had extremely bad lag this morning on the PS4. Like a full 1-2 seconds at times. The worst example was running past a thrown anti tank grenade, blasting two dudes in the face with the 10-A Hunter, no hit markers, watching them return enough fire to kill me twice, then mysteriously dying to the anti tank grenade 10+ yards behind me that I heard go off 2 seconds prior.
At least I somehow managed my 20 kills for the skull medal on that level.

Lol. Someone sent me hate mail because I blew up his tank, then got him with a grenade, then shot, then stabbed him in a round. He's very mad I have a lag switch on my controller; i don't know what that means, for the first time I didn't have any of the connection warnings on my screen. Once you learn how to use the equipment, a Support guy with a limpet and a couple of assault bros are basically unstoppable.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Popete posted:

Yeah it's kind of disappointing how they have a 8 inch splash range now. It's still fun, but idk why they would nerf it to begin with.

because :dice:'s community feedback page is on reddit, and it's 100% snipers who never leave the spawn bellyaching about literally every anti-sniper tool in the game.

Could be a new record for :dice: nerfing a useful tool. It's not as if mortars were used heavily in the Great War in order to dislodge dug-in troops or anything :rolleyes: Range is barely 80 yards :argh:

Also, on Sinai, the first thing to do is use the field gun at D and shoot the land bridge to the sniper nest above B.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Snak posted:

Jesus Christ. What even is a "Spot Assist"? I thought from how Suppression Assists worked, it would be when you spotted an enemy and then a teammate killed them. But that's apparently a "Spot Bonus".

I'm still having a lit of fun with this game, but spotting is really loving janky. It's harder to spot enemies than to just shoot them.

edit: and also the "R1 to throw bandages/ammo" prompt drives me nuts. I wish that it would only show up when it's actually "active". Far too often, I see the prompt, hit the button, and nothing happens. The "spotting" cooldown seems to include all R1 activities. I can't spot an enemy immediately after issuing and order to an objective, and I can't throw ammo to someone right after I fail to do so.

I think you can only throw 2 ammo/medic bags at a time, or have 2 active at a time. It's great for resupplying a squad of like 3-5 bros, but if you get into a locker-style choke point it's really inefficient, and the supply box works better.

I also think they nerfed the supply bags to not be an instant 100% resupply. I was playing as assault, used up all my mines and monster grenades, and the resupply bag gave me 2 mines and 1 grenade, plus ammo.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Finger Prince posted:

Sure, you never know. I was just surprised to actually win as the Americans not once but twice, and evidently not even with that amazing a team since we got killed the next round both times.
Also I miss incompetent tank drivers. Stop shooting my mines you assholes!

sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. I think the key is to put them in high traffic areas, but not like obviously in the middle of the road or somewhere an errant grenade could set them off.

I put some down on Grappa on that lowest road next to C and forgot about it. Later in the game I stole a tank and drove off with a heavy tank right behind me. I think he was so focused on trying to take down my stolen tank he didn't wonder why i was driving on this random footpath and not through point C that we controlled. Anyway he chased me over the hill and BOOM :clint:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

shut up blegum posted:

Any tips for getting kills with the rifle grenade? I need 20 for the Hippocrates challenge, and it's really hard. The grenades do almost no damage, and they don't explode on impact, so playrs just run over them and stab you.

Spray them in choke points, like the hallway outside C on ballroom. I got the 5-explosive-kills-in-a-life medal that way.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

mellowjournalism posted:

this is a great idea

wait

just got a handwritten note from dice, addressed to you?

*peers*

Lol yeah, :dice: only listens to feedback from reddit snipers, because they are the loudest, most thin skinned babies. There was a solid month right after release where the mortar was 1. accurate and 2. did damage. And then the redditors complained, lo and behold, the only really effective anti-sniper weapon is now useless. You would think the solution to getting mortared constantly would be 'find a new place to hide,' but it's actually complain to dice until they make the mortar mostly ineffective.

I remember a furor on bf4 reddit. Did dice accidentally email their browsing history to their mothers? No, they adjusted the 100% damage 100% accurate pubby cannon sniper rifle to reload .4 seconds slower.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 6, 2016

red19fire
May 26, 2010

moist turtleneck posted:

Are there platoons yet or is this like WW1 where entire male populations of cities died when a ship sank and they don't let people mix from different states

it's ridiculous that your party can be 8 people but the squads are limited to 5. Just let parties be in a squad of 8, i.e. reward teamwork, :dice:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

So wait the martini is worse? It's great, but a 3 second reload on a one-round rifle is already a huge disadvantage.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

FastestGunAlive posted:

Nah. Even the pubbies migrate back after knocking out whatever map centric challenge there is.

What are the map centric challenges? it was like 'get 10 kills on a tower' in bf4, are there new medals or something?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

My 11 year old cousin just got battlefront for xb1, pray for him.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

same but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7Hy7uAb_eU

because i've got a lot of belt fed brass for errybody.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Great now it'll be too equal. Now the winner will be decided by whose edgelords get killed first so someone useful can get in a tank. :dice: never changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Press the Melee button while sprinting.

Is there a faster way to rank up tanks. I've been taking objectives and wrecking mans/tanks/planes nonstop and just now hit level 2. Maybe switch to the version that drops ammo?

Also the howitzer light tank rules. 63 damage on a heavy tank :wow: