Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Regarding Rookies - the Miata there is the ND Global MX5 now, not the old NC, and they use the old Phoenix road course now that it's free too. Oh, and you might want to add a bit about "MPR" for promotions. You can't get to A without buying at least some cars and running them in official events (either races or TT). You can sit at B4.99 forever until you run a few races in cars that will actually promote you.

Bought Le Mans with my participation bux. Yeah, it's not the greatest track in the world, but it is unique and I'm sure it'll get used everywhere for a little while. That track always trips me up on braking because I always either come in way too hot (especially Arnage) or brake way too soon (Mulsanne). The amount of leeway it gives you without a 1x is refreshing after dealing with Spa, which loving murders my SR every time.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

PSA: The B car race at Richmond is, in fact, official still. Joined that one not realizing it was a 125 lap race last night :pwn:

Still finagled a 5th place despite having never turned a lap at that track in that car, using the baseline setup, just by keeping my nose mostly clean (and getting lucky on a yellow after I spun to get my lap back).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ziploc posted:

I believe SR sensitivity is different depending on your license level.

Yes and no. 4x certainly hurts your SR more at A than at R/D, but if you've made it to A then you're clearly a long-term clean racer. You'd need a significant string of 10x+ races to bump down from an A.

Also, before the Ring came out, I was worried that it would be SR murder. Turns out it's quite the opposite, because the corner count is so high. Spa killed my SR this past season in GT3. Nurburgring gained me drat near two whole points, even though I never made it past halfway before damaging my car too much to bother racing further.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

njsykora posted:

The big iRacing secret seems to have been uncovered by a few people.

It's an Audi Quattro GTO. For some reason.

Holy fuuuuuuuuuck. I'm all for IMSA replacing GT3.

Edit: Seems legit to me and a reverse GIS doesn't peg those as Forza screenshots or anything.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 13, 2016

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Vando posted:

I hope it turns out that this is just part of the announcement and there's more cool stuff coming on the back of it.

Long Beach as a real track, right? Right?

I can hope :buddy:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

iRacing already shows the Audi 90 on the Cars page.

spoilery i guess

Edit: gonna see if I can buy it before they announce it, lol

Edit 2: yep, gg iracing

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

"Part 2 on September 20"

:boom:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

OhsH posted:

Wait is it already purchase and drivable??

Not home so I can't download it and give it a shot for ~10 hours.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Audi is getting some serious play on hosted sessions right now :stare:

Watching a stream of it on Bathurst. This poo poo is nuts. https://www.twitch.tv/jplays

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MisterZimbu posted:

Wait 'till you try the Nordschleife.

Seriously, even on a SSD it takes for-loving-ever.

Already bought the Audi but will probably buy the Nissan with my S4 funbux. Really wish they'd finish Long Beach since it'd be very appropriate for this Kamel series.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

General RAARGH posted:

Oh gawd, I've finally reached "that point" with my iRacing spending :(

one of us

I didn't manage to jump out of my Blancpain Sprint race last night soon enough to actually join the Kamel GT race right after it, but I did fart around spectating / ghost driving for a bit. All of the turbo noise :allears:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You know, if you do the Cadillac fixed race at the Nurburgring first, the Audi seems downright nimble by comparison :v:

I'm having a shitload of fun in Kamel GT, though if you lose the draft you're screwed. It's ridiculously easy to lose the car going into 1, but by the same token it's also really easy to just mash the gas and at least avoid the offtrack 1X. It's stupid fun.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Helicon One posted:

I have spoilered the below to protect the sensitive minds out there, read at your own risk:

Fixed Trucks at Eldora

This will be a glorious clusterfuck.

Kinda like Indy Fixed at New Hampshire. I don't know why but that car will just randomly step the tail end out there unless you're super careful (i.e. slow).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've had the high line bite me a time or two but yeah it's usually the low line that results in loose. Of course, if you can make it stick, it's the only reliable way around another car and can be used to catch someone as well.

It's just a bit of a mindfuck because right up until the rear comes around, it feels like everything is fine, and then suddenly you're staring at traffic hoping nobody plows into you.

I did that twice last night and still finished top 5 on the lead lap :haw:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Looks like more pitcrew animations are coming [img-soonclock]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0verNgmcpQ

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Skippy at the ring is great.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Just drive slowly around the track to learn the corners. People like to say you can't learn all the corners because there are so many but that's wrong. You can learn lots of different race tracks and remember their corners, the ring is the same thing. Take it slowly and then speed up as you go along.

To be fair, with the Ring it's not like you need to know every corner to perfection, and when you boil it down like that you've got a lot fewer critical corners to worry about with "varying degrees of straightness" in between.

The section from Hohe Acht to Dottinger-Hohe is loads of fun in the Skippy.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

My weakest section is easily Adenauer Forst through Bergwerk, and the worst of that by far are those two endpoints. Everything in the middle I'm competent at, maybe a bit slow, but I cannot safely find speed in either Bergwerk or Adenauer... especially Adenauer.

Once you get past Bergwerk, you maaaaaaybe lift a tiny bit in the Skippy at Mutkurve, but you can mostly keep it pinned all the way to Steilstrecke.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The only problem with the Star Mazda on ovals is that so many of the "regulars" have no idea how to drive on an oval. Iowa is very much a pack race and one of the only things you can do to get ahead is to get on the outside, and then run as low a line as you can manage.

This, of course, infuriates them.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Oh it absolutely has happened, but I have yet to have it happen where the guy who "drifts" up doesn't take himself out at the same time, while screaming about running side-by-side.

And oval cars on road courses are the best loving fun. Fixed trucks at Mosport will get me to hop in those every time, even though I hardly ever touch trucks on an actual oval anymore.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

njsykora posted:

I will not stand for this lie about GT3 being good.

I actually had a good GT3 race at Le Mans this week. Lower split, no less. Seems like people understand there's no way you're stopping a draft-assisted pass and they're better off just trying to set you up for the next one.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Roller Coast Guard posted:

If anywhere is running the Nordschleife this week it's absurd for SR farming since every kink and curve counts as a corner and being an old track there's a kink or curve every three seconds or so.

Yup. I had massive SR gains in GT3 at Nordschleife, despite never getting enough laps in to count as an 'official' race. You rack up a ton of good corners, and then plow it into the wall and total the car with maybe 4x or 6x on the clock, and still gain SR.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The "battle of the small wings" is surprisingly fun. Keeping the Mazda on-track on those bumps at Oulton is a challenge in itself.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

L_Harrison posted:

You need your ears checked. The Audi makes the best noises.

Yup. Not that I think the sounds in iRacing are lacking on pretty much any car lately, but the Audi sounds loving glorious. It's so loving fun in spite of / because of the fact that it never wants to go straight.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

See, you just throw it in the corner hard enough that the back end tries to come around, then you pin the throttle and let Quattro drag you back out.

I totally did this on purpose as an awesome accident for turn one at Daytona a few times last season.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

They just changed the Star Mazda to Pro Mazda. There are hints that they are going to scan the new Pro Mazda sometime. If you don't own it, don't buy it right now unless you're OK with it becoming obsolete at a random point in the future.

Yep, this. It's an old car and while it is fun, it will be replaced either with the just announced (in real life) new Pro Mazda car, or it will die off and be effectively replaced by FR2.0. The big difference with the Pro Mazda is that it does run a small number of official oval races per season, since the real car does too.

Part of me hopes they take the opportunity if they scan the new PM car and do the new USF2000 at the same time.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Just expect to get a lot of "Really *yourname*?!".

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I mean, any CC company is probably going to side with him since it's not particularly legit to take money for services you won't provide, but yeah the guy's a loving idiot.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Lord Crapulus posted:

PORSCHE PORSCHE PORSCHE GET HYPED

gently caress YES

Hope they put in at least one air-cooled murder machine.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Roller Coast Guard posted:

A whole season of Skip Barbers at Eldora :allears:

This could be amazing. Or awful. Or amazingly awful.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Threw myself on the sheet, I want to try and get at least some time in this. Overnight AZ time is a safe bet for me but I could end up with more availability. I've got an offroad trip planned on Saturday but if it rains heavily it might get rescheduled / cancelled due to flash flooding concerns.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Larrymer posted:

I've done 0 test laps and the weather is supposed to be "nice" (52F!) on Saturday, so...

I bought, but have not even downloaded, the Mercedes. LET'S DO THIS

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Eyud posted:

Yeah I marked when I'll be available, I'm not planning on driving that whole time. A stint or two is probably all I'll be able to do.

Same here. One team is probably fine.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

General RAARGH posted:

I hear the porsche has dropped

Indeed it has.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_if8L5L_QI

:lol: at the "IT'S NOT A GAME" intro, but mostly interested in the new GT tire model. Might help my disastrous road SR. As it is I need to fire up iRacing and run some TTs to get my road SR back above A2.0.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I was reminded why I took a break from iRacing last night.

Hopped in the Official Week 13 Miata race to gain some SR, since I was sitting around a A1.45 and would rather not bump down to B.

Ran two races starting from the pits, seemed like the racing was largely clean, gained up to A1.7 and decided I wanted to actually have a chance at racing instead of just turning hotlaps.

Got plowed twice by the same fuckwad who was too busy dickwaving about his real life driving license to understand why you can't just go from the apex to the outside curb when you still have a car outside of you. Ended the night at A1.3.

I do like the new tires, though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I don't know but the race I did in GT3 was even a bottom split, and it was still reasonably clean. Most of the wrecks were people overdriving the track. Let's face it, that's very easy to do at Road Atlanta.

I'm less impressed at Logitech support. My G27 shifter broke and will only go into 3/4. 1/2/5/6/R all bounce back to neutral. I suppose it's a realistic simulation of my wife's old Opel GT, but that's not why I have this drat thing. Support keeps asking questions like "how did you troubleshoot this?" - after I sent them the video they requested.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

How would one troubleshoot that anyway? I put the shifter into 2nd. It went to neutral. We're done here, let me know when the new one is arriving.

Yup. I just haven't had time to dig up the serial number and send it in. Still under warranty, it's not even two years old yet.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Jesus loving christ. Logitech support is still asking me to confirm I've recalibrated to fix my shifter not sticking in positions other than 3 or 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If I was not currently broke as gently caress, I would. loving hell their support is just poo poo.