Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mordor She Wrote posted:

The real list is

1. Mike
2.Rich
3. Jay
4. The Canadians

yeah pretty much. jack has some ok moments but he is meh and that other one is ok too i guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

a bone to pick posted:

I agree with their opinions on every video game, for instance Alien: Isolation was a boring slog to get through.

I am mixed with their opinions. love the arkham, alien, quantam break(which i sort of agree with, i like story driven games but ones that actualy work, unlike stupid tv show pilots) love the order 1886 and doom epsodes. i think they are wrong about MGS V but i get where they come from.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pyroclastic posted:

It doesn't really get to Force Awakens until the last half-hour. There's really no major problems in TFA like there were in the prequels, so there's just not much there to dig in to. Most of the 'review' is about the resurgence of people defending the prequels.

this. I expected as much. Force awakens is solid if not good movie and a great star wars movie and i have been waiting for them to comment about all the dumb gently caress hipsters jerking off about the prequels. I mean i grew up with the prequels and yeah i have good memories with my family about them and my dad loves doing the watto/nemodian voices("they went up the ventilation shaft" being his favorite). so yeah i have "good memories" but i can see and easily admit the prequels are lovely movies in general and bad-mediocare star wars movies. they arnt "deep" or "revolutionary", id would say they are pretentious, but they are too crappy and simple minded for that. its just hipsters and sad fucks trying to justify poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Echo Chamber posted:

The Ring Theory and all the freshmen film school CD/YouTube revisionism of the prequels needed calling out. And a Star Wars review is a nice vehicle for that call out.

I was bit concerned when he into that tangent on "Diversity in the Star Wars Universe", but he ended up justifying it. They didn't take the extra "risk" to make its diversity bold.

I still think he showed too much sympathy for Lucas with his rant on how TFA played it safe. To me, it was just Lucas using hindsight to poorly rehabilitate his prequels. TFA was a adequately made product that's best consumed and forgotten about until the next installment.

Red Letter Media is still the only place that I could stand someone actually expressing their opinions on Star Wars. Good job, guys.

Yeah, I agree, the review was dead on about the various hipster revisionism trying to save the prequels as well as the diversity thing(its a great thing but for the most part if feels like its basically become a buzzword for Hollywood/others to get lefties to watch it but it never takes any real risks with it)

on the lucas part, yes and no. i think they were a little to soft on him, but he isn't fully wrong per say, Lucas took risks which is good thing, the problem is they all crashed an burned and he is bitter over it. I mean even disney knows they suck. sure they tried to rebrand them by paying a bunch of hipsters to make poo poo up but at the end of the day as mike said, you can see that the free market decided, you dont see prequel toys apart from a few figures. the prequels are going to slowly be forgotten.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Randarkman posted:

I think it's great that little girls want to dress up as an officer in a genocidal fascist organization who has no character outside of her costume and dies by getting thrown in the garbage

she isnt dead apperently.

Grondoth posted:

It worked for Boba Fett

true. but he was just an amoral hunter of sentient life. not a officer in the neo nazi squad.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

They just tied her up off screen IIRC, she's going to be a bigger deal in the sequel. I predict that they'll take advantage of the fact that we never saw her face to have her "surprise" audiences as a secret covert agent or something like that.

I think the review's main thesis is that now Star Wars has been handed over to a vastly worse entity than Lucas, which is weird in a way because Lucas whored out the franchise too. That said, it is a bit worrying to see Star Wars taking the Marvel movies treatment and I think the overall point that Disney being in charge leads to these "Design-by-committee" moments that are pretty blatant.

It IS fan service, because fan service sells, and that's all this now, it's something to sell. It's a mathematical formula meant to derive a larger set of numbers from a smaller set and creativity, artistry, storytelling and cinema are all effectively secondary to that. Plinkett is spot-on with his take that TFA is a more cynical movie than the stupid, goofy, kooky prequels. Not in the fact of its story or characters, but in the very design of it. Its manufacture.

That's what the review seeks to tackle and I think that's a much better and broader point than "TFA is kind of mediocre and teh villains make absolutely no sense."

I mean i understand. but Id rather have disney whoring it out rather then WB(DC) or sony(spiderman and ghostbusters,etc) or lucas sitting on the franchise and either making another series of dumbshit or nothing. the marvel movies while factory made are at least good quality for the most part. disney is the safest place for it to have a chance to take risks or at least some.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Christ, when does he start talking about The Force Awakens?

basicaly the last 40-30 min.

Stabbatical posted:

I forgot the 'Trash Compacter' line from the movie and seeing it again makes Han seem like a crazy-psycho old-man rather than an adventurous smuggler/rebel fighter who kills people as part of his job

also I'd forgotten how basically every scene has someone making light of their situation in the scene for no real reason

overall, good review that I somehow managed to not pause and do something productive instead of seeing but I'm not sure if I'd watch it again unlike all the other Plinkett reviews (but I'll probably do that at some point though)

yeah, TFA is defiantaly too Whedonnish(or least Whedon was before he cut his nuts off to appease everyone and get pissy at another movie then when he made a bad joke people cut them off again) at some points. the funny moments arnt bad(the kylo ones are great as are some of the finn ones and some of hans are ok) but yeah i see it. also i sorta of agree, what is Finns role in the movie, he is kinda all over the place.

I guess my issue is, I dont think we are ever going to get the same circumstances that made the originals so good. its just not how movies are made now a days for better or worse, most movies are factory jobs in one way or another, which is mixed bag in its own right. I am guess i am not sure what mike exactly wants. i mean i know, he wants a star wars movie that takes some risks and is original and i think that may happen down the line. who knows. As i said. i would rather have disney do it then WB or Sony.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Wicker Man posted:

Mike seemed really into the "This is the state of things," and he sort of already touched on them a little in the Titanic review. Both he and Jay seem like they are really counting down the years before the proverbial backlash against Hollywood gets loud enough to be serious.

it will happen. the "cinimanic universe" poo poo is loving bubble ready to burst. the thing is Disney (for now) is the ones that will probably survive simple because of quality and name recognition. I think people are definatly sick of reboots and rehashes though.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

Between Marvel and Star Wars, Disney is making a sizable amount of the money in the film industry right now. That poo poo ain't going anywhere.

Marvel movies may have their problems, but I do appreciate how that poo poo is actually planned out ahead of time instead of just retconning everything and making it up as they go. Like all things, cinematic universes are fine in moderation. I do take exception to trying to turn literally everything into another CU though.

this. they are fine in moderation and well done(marvel and hopefully star wars) but a lot of companies seem to think everything NEEDS to be one which it doesnt. some i can understand like DC but their problem is it reeks of "ME TOO" without any clear idea how to make a good/compatent movie period, like on there own the marvel movies are decent action movies, some are even really good,(the iron man movies, winter soldier, guardians of the galaxy(in my opinion civil war)) but DC cant even pull that off. then you have sony trying it with ghostbusters which doesn't need that(it just needs a reboot of some sort or a sequel which isnt happening now) its alot of counting chickens before they hatch.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

Politics are dumb and make you dumb.

At least on the bright side, all the insane PC poo poo of the 90s blew over so maybe by 2020 people will be allowed to make jokes and have a sense of humor again. It seems like more and more people are getting tired of self-righteous indignation.

Probaly. it will hit a point where it bothers normal people(not just sad weird liberals like me and weird alt right dickheads and it will slowly be pushed back into the shadows.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Because they humanized the Storm Troopers. One took his helmet off and became a character. One died smearing blood on his friend's face. Even the way that one Storm Trooper said "traitor" had more emotion than you saw from any Storm Trooper in the first trilogy.

pretty much. Stormtroopers were seen as basically disposable but elite cannon fodder for the empire. whats even more hosed up if you think about (with at least the original trilogy) is they are just regular people(maybe some clones from various donors), they were regular people, probably all about luke's age. they were some dumbshit kids who actually did go to the academy(the stormtrooper one not the flying one) and passed and became proud soldiers of the Empire.

Randarkman posted:

This is probably just me getting old but in particular I find that the bits with "funny" and/or "exciting" stormtrooper kills and such (Han using Chewie's crossbow, the traitor guy easily being killed by Han, phasma in the garbage and all that) to be kind of off-putting, especially in an adventure movie like this that isn't like gory or shockingly violent. I can't quite put my finger on why that bothers me as opposed to how over the top death and gore scenes can be funny in something like a lovely horror movie. In the original trilogy the stormtroopers were essentially henchmen to be killed, but the movies didn't treat them as essentially a joke (even though their marksmanship became one outside of the movies). Anyway I dunno really, but it feels really off to me, and I think the same thing kind of bothered me in the Hobbit movies as well.

yeah and no for me. yeah it was weird. but i can see han being that kinda guy, he is old, he failed as dad and is now smuggling death monsters for petty dickhead rulers. he thought the empire was finaly put in the ground, but now some dickhead made Imperial Reborn facist wannabe army with his failure of son at its head with a bunch of dickhead sons and daughters of the old imperial elite playing soldier. i doubt he cares if he splaters some dickhead officer to death in a garbage compactor. that being said. the snippy constant "jokey lines' in general got annoying. it never went to whedon levels thankfully.

the loving best part of the review to me was the Oompa lumppa kylo ren bit.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

Prequel apologists and Ring Theory proponents are such an alien concept to me that for awhile I was wondering if it was just a straw man Plinkett was using. So I looked in the CinD thread. Nope, it's all real. They were dismissing the idea of that the prequels might have problems like it was some absurd notion that had been so clearly decided long ago, what a silly thing to even bring up again.

So why do people defend them. i can understand liking them. i mean i like some parts of the prequels. but acting like its some hidden high art is insane and dumb. there is no deep meaning, the deepest it gets is "bush is rear end in a top hat retard poopyhead". i mean yeah i get it, people want to defend their childhoods. But I grew up with them too. I went to the loving Phillie premier of attack of the clones (yeah a kid with disabilities and hospital tickets) and i went with my best friend and its still a poo poo movie even with all the good memories. Hell i loving went to lucasranch for a make a wish and hosed around in the house and the prop storage place and i still think the prequels are poo poo. having good memories around something doesnt automatically make it high art.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 4, 2016

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

temple posted:

Star Wars is cool universe and setting. I'd say its better fantasy than traditional fantasy because it doesn't rigidly define warriors and magic. The Sith are villains but introspective and represent a philosophical difference more than morally black. Heroes and rogues come in many variety. The Force is so vague that it is free from traditional religious baggage and paradoxes. The prequels are steeped in that universe. They are bad films but set in a mythology people enjoy.

oh I agree. I love the setting and the universe even with the prequels and the stupid parts of the old EU. hell i even like some of the ideas and characters/settings in the prequels. the problem is the good is outweighed by the bad so much its sad.

get that OUT of my face posted:

tezzor is one of the worst posters on SA, but he's doing the lord's work by constantly telling them that the prequels are awful and getting banned for it

for a forum that leans so heavily on "death of the author" and interpreting things wildly, there sure is a lot of groupthink in cined

well they need to believe lucas is some magical super genius for some reason, instead of an ideas guy who made/helped create 3 great films then let it go to his head and then gently caress up and bungle 3 more because he got rid of anyone who challenged him and surrounded himself with lickspittles and yes men.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

People apparently want to watch a movie where Bruce Wayne decides being Batman is a dumb immature idea and instead dedicates his life helping the poor class and funding the inner city to end crime.

The same people also love to talk about how the entire MCU is fascistic and right wing propaganda instead of fun pulp movies where you don't look into deeper meaning or give a poo poo about how good it looks from a cinematographic level.

well yeah. there have always been wannabe "culture critics" who loving HATE batman/super heros movies/comics/games/etc. it kinda of a fad with them. yeah some of them have good points. but most of its about the violence and "toxic masculinity"(sure its loving real but i dont think batman or captain america are it) or how people will become right wingers because of it. most of them are bunch of selfhating leftie west coasters.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 9, 2016

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

I remember someone bashing Mad Max Fury Road because it was violent :psyduck:

It was that Macintosh guy who posted his opinion on the Feminist Frequency twitter like a coward to get the blame on his friend.

nah she sadly believe that part too. I think alot of her stuff is decent, but holy poo poo some of her reviews and opinions are loving awful and or retarded. her stuff has gotten alot better after that joker left though.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

She dropped him like a bad habit and now he's trying to do his own thing I think.

yeah its some patrion that makes less then 200 per video. and then he begs and bites at troll bate and edgelords on twitter.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Oh and there's an emoji movie coming out August 2017. And of course the poop emoji is going to feature.

wow, just wow. that looks like suck loving rear end. its called Emojimovie: Express Yourself, that sounds like the most insincere poo poo ever. is sony just retarded. first the spiderman movies, then ghostbusters and pixels and now this.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

If they are then the retardation must be contagious because they fought off Warner Bros and Paramount in the bidding war to buy the project.

http://deadline.com/2015/07/emoji-movie-sony-pictures-animation-anthony-leondis-kung-fu-panda-secrets-of-the-masters-1201482768/

Yeah both of those companies are crap too. WB is basicaly milking all they have for all its worth(DC movies suck, the hobbits suck) and paramount has made a much good stuff of late(wanted to make after earth a cinematic universe)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Upcoming Sony films: live action Barbie movie, Jumanji remake, Bad Boys 3 and 4, Hotel Transylvania 3
Upcoming WB films: King Kong reboot, King Arthur reboot, CHiPs, Blade Runner 2049, Tomb Raider reboot, Ready Player One, Jungle Book: Origins, Minecraft
Upcoming Paramount films: Monster Trucks, Baywatch, Transformers 5, 6 & 7, Sherlock Gnomes

:suicide:

most of those except for maybe the kong reboot will probaly suck rear end.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

JB50 posted:

She says the words "mary sue" itself are sexist:

"The Mary Sue thing in itself is sexist because it's the name of a woman," she says. "Everyone was saying that Luke had the exact same [abilities]. I think Rey is incredibly vulnerable, and nothing she's doing is for the greater good. She's just doing what she thinks is the right thing. And she doesn't want to do some of it, but she feels compelled to do it. So for me, I was just confused."

Some of the dumbest poo poo Ive ever read.

Except my posts.

like she is right about the character motivation, but she is wrong about what a mary sue and everything else. also a male mary sue is called a gary stu and its not really sexist just really lovely writing, and i honestly didnt think she was that much of mary sue, she learns fast and is good at stuff but it can be explained because of poo poo in the movie and context clues and poo poo.

temple posted:

People didn't like Rey, doesn't matter what they call her. Mary sue is just a more specific way to say flawed character.

nah. mary sue is more "A Mary Sue is an idealized and seemingly perfect fictional character, a young or low-rank person who saves the day through unrealistic abilities. Often this character is recognized as an author insert or wish-fulfillment". poo poo like twilight is mary sue stuff.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Wtf is that from?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

WampaLord posted:

It is good and he's gooning out hard in that video, like speargin about really trivial details. As a writer, you'd think he notice more of the thematic significance of events.

i think he is missing the point that it is the point. its kinda supposed to be an illusion of choice deal. plus the gun she picks up was a real gun not one of the park guns. and the people who shoot ed harris are wyatts men who i assume are basically super hosts who are all set to 20,

Nutsngum posted:

Westworld is awesome but the finale was really not very good.

ehh. the final wasn't perfect especially if you figured most of the twists out ahead of time. but its still good. i am curious to see how its going to go from here. Its a great show either way, one of the best i have seen in years.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Zmej posted:

Maive sucks rear end. Too edgelord for me

i dont mind maive, but i get why people dont like her. she seems too compitent, but parts of that can be explained away by ford and stuff.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dmitri-9 posted:

Maeve was still in a loop, Bernard pretty much came out and said it before she shut him up. That's why she went back for her "daughter" instead of leaving the park.

my guess is delores is in one now as well but this one is "natural". ford himself says humans do loops as well.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

Rogue One was 1/3 of an awesome movie. First 2/3s were okay stuff, but holy gently caress does it nail the third act.

As it is, I'd give it a 6 or 7 out of ten.

yeah. pretty much. id give it an 8 because i liked all the cameo and nods and thought they were alot better done then force awakens were.

the last 50 or so minutes were great and the last 5 or so were amazing.

the astetics felt straight out of the OT and were cool.

the main characters were pretty meh cept for the robot and the temple guards, but thats ok for what the movie was trying to do which was building onto episode 4.

I did like all the little poo poo.

morboweirwood posted:

Does anyone watch the Cinema Snob here

i like him, he is one of the last funny people from the cancer hole that is that guy with the glasses. i think he earlier stuff is better then his newer stuff but he seems like pretty cool dude and he doesnt fall into internet bullshit drama like his retarded colligues do. i think RLM do his kinda of comedy better though.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Randarkman posted:

Well they were dead on with their description of alot of this movie as essentially Star Wars porn. Didn't hear alot of people when I saw it in the theater but yeah it totally makes sense. And just thinking it was cool to have an action sequence with a bunch of Star Wars stuff happening was kind of what won me over on it as well, makes me realize that I am somewhat guilty of it (though I more or less hated the fanservice stuff before and after this, especially the Leia reveal). I mean is anyone really going to be watching this movie again for anything other than the last 30 minutes or so? I remember watching it and being kind of torn between liking and hating it, then the last 30 minutes happen and I kind of forgot this.

yeah i agree with that, but as the democraphic that was (fat bearded guy though younger then 30) i liked horror hallway vader and basicaly the last hour. i wanted a loving bleak war movie and anyone who didnt think it was going to end up like that is loving moron.

like i get their arguments, but i feel like they would have hated it no matter what. i honestly think they dont know what they want in a star wars movie.
i do agree with their points about to much fanserves(though i thought the fan servece was better done then force awakens) and the main characters were poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

turnways posted:

I agree with RLM on their take, though I was all for a gritty war movie about stars and wars and poo poo. I just thought the dark and gritty and war aspects were done way better in other movies, and if I just watched those and pretended they had lasers and AT-STs and poo poo I think I'd be OK as far as how necessary this movie is.

Like the opening scene vs the opening scene in Inglorious Basterds, similar premise, kinda similar outcome. Even removing the gory bloody parts from the latter, it far, far outshines the former. Way more tension, way more at stake, you immediately felt for the father, the family, and the main character girl, vs. the former where who loving cares.

I think their point is if you're going to play it safe at least make it fun, which I agree with. It doesn't do war-gritty all that well because it's Star Wars, so make it fun at least.

i can understand that. But i am still glad it was made so at least we have a gritty war star wars movie. what i am amused by is sure i think the trailers and stuff were misleading but if you listens to all the buzz from interviews even the first announcements. it was always going to be a real/gritty war movie. which i dont mind. I mean i guess i am that loving stereotype mike shits on, but that movie was what i wanted. but i agree with them that FA is a better movie because of actual likable or interesting characters. neither movie is perfect.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Paladinus posted:

I get that the theatre experience can skew your opinion on the movie. During my watch, no one applauded or cheered for AT-ST, so I didn't mind fan-service as much, while this was the main complaint by RLM.

Also, when they perfect CGI faces, they should make a special edition of R1 to update Tarkin. And also a very special edition of prequels where Christensen is replaced by a recreation of a young Sebastian Shaw. And a super special edition of the original trilogy that is the same as the first special edition, but it gets faster every time someone says 'Force'.

this. mine didn't either. they only laughed at jokes and maybe one or two "oh shits" during vaders hallway of death tour. clapped at the end.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Blistex posted:

<remakes Battlefield: "Star Wars Edition" for the 50th time>

I would kill for a new Tie-Fighter game (not just a Multiplayer Twitch-Fest) or something like Empire at War that's a little less "kid friendly" and requires actual strategy.

it sounds like they are working on other stuff with other studios as well.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Yeah, the same guys that consistently point out how one of the (many) reasons the prequels were bad was the pandering to children.

Same. Saw it in a completely full IMAX theater on opening day.

Even so, honestly, what's worse, the nerd who sees fanservice and indulges in it, fully aware of what it is? Or the nerd to has to be all contrary, "actually you can't enjoy this because its fanservice"

idk depends i guess. I indulge in it a bit. the vader scene in the hallways was basically what me and my friend wanted in the movie since it was announced except better in some ways. the other stuff except for the last death star firing sequence and maybe the pilots, i felt fit. i didnt notice the blue milk or care, the cantina dudes were a chuckle but not needed. and i rolled my eyes at the threepeoo line. tarkin was ok but he definaly uncanny valley, he felt like an LA noir character. leia was ok. the one thing i dont get is why they were so pissy over the loving AT-ST. like really thats what the bitch about. i guess some nerd came over it, but it kinda just fit with the scene. the imperials sent in some armor to wipe out the rebels, it worked for me.

oohhboy posted:

What the poo poo RLM? You fan wank over TFA, but suddenly story critical characters and period accurate technology are verboten? You judged the movie based on the loving audience? You complained it wasn't a heist movie when it was clearly sold as a dirty dozen movie? How do you miss the awesome sight of the Death Star breaking the horizon? Heck even the space battle was period accurate in how they framed it, they even look like the toys they are made from. I could go on and on.

TFA is a poo poo movie. What a loving troll review.

They needed to connect the end of R1 to ANH. It filled in why Vadar knew who to chase, why he is so pissed off and how Leia got the plans. Showing the Tantive IV costed no more than 30 seconds in a plot critical moment. It showed how desperate the struggle was as the troopers pass the plans on. Vadar gets somewhat rehabilitated into a badass who is rightly feared.

What was a waste of time was when Kerrinc begged Vadar for an audience with the Emperor. That was truly fan wank and needed to be cut.

agree with the first part. I didnt mind the other scene. 1. because it shows vader still clings to the past and 2. it shows even more that krennic is dickhead whiny careerist who is getting cucked by everyone.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I hope they review Assassin's Creed because holy gently caress it is a stinker.

as a asscreed fan(sorry) how bad is it? ill probaly end up being it for cheap when it comes out. i have heard the biggest issues is it plays it way, way to seriously with no humor or lightheartedness at all. which is weird because outside a few most of the asscreed protagonists are pretty likable and have a softer side.

dreezy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9-vP7kJheI
first video of the year and its more stupid rogue one bull

i agree with it except for the "ATAT and at-st = fan service " poo poo. thats honestly their weakest point.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It's definitely gonna be in my bottom list of the year. I've never wanted to walk out of a film as much as this one in a long long time. There is ZERO humour throughout and the best stuff, the historical scenes, are maybe 30% of the film? The last twenty minutes feels BUTCHERED in the edit and the film just ends randomly. It is AWFUL and I'd recommend not paying any money to see it.
A real 1 star stinker.

that sucks. kinda hoped it would be ok. asscreed is an ok francise and could be made into an ok movie or tv show. oh well. maybe the new game that they have put actual time into will be good. syndicate was fun.

oohhboy posted:

They double downed a bit in that last video, they start off ok if still disagreeable but start going off the cliff a couple of minutes in when he plasters over the readily available character motivations and complains about how the movie felt compared to the OT when it succeeded in it's intended effect. He again dismisses the final battle out of hand because pew pew and doesn't look at the cinematography of it compared to TFA which was far more pew pew boom face blasting with shake cam while R1 was true to the look and feel of OT.

While the first Vadar scene was entirely pointless no doubt and questionable, he didn't understand why he had to be in R1 and complains about the lack of introduction when they introduce him.

He complains there is nothing to explain what happened previously when there isn't anything to tell from previously when in fact it was meant to do the opposite by sending the story forward. The bits that are "previously" are a little vague and not straight up told to you which are acted out like Kernnic's and Galan's relationship as old friends who break apart because of their differing morality and how this connects to Jyn. They didn't focus much on Galan as the movie was about getting the plans. It was pretty clear what Galan experienced for years under the abuse of Kernnic in the same scene as the attempted rescue allowing that time to do double duty. He constantly asking for tell no show instead of the other way around.

He compares the fight scene again without explaining himself again while wistfully longing for nostalgia over actually analysing the film giving his improvements. Blunt force going through armour hurting troopers isn't unprecedented, it comes from the RoTJ. A valid complain for that fight was that they were a little bit super powered breaking the "Normalness" the characters show throughout the rest of the film.

He blasts the ATAT running straight into "MILITARY TACTICS" complaining about blowing up their own base which is mostly idyllic beaches but somehow he misses the entire point of them which was to have that oh poo poo "Tiger" moment where the heroes that the time seem to be prevailing has the tide turn when an untouchable weapon or force arrives causing them to flee. This is then reversed again as with Saving Private Ryan when the reinforcement arrives blowing up the Tiger/ATAT.

After that he attacks poo poo that is straight up nonsense to pad the score. TFA and R1 did break Mike's mind, then there is the alcohol and the purple hands.

yeah pretty much. i wouldnt say i loved it. but they seem to be reaching with alot of there stuff. the we hate movies crew did a episode on rogue one that was closer to my opinion and yours.

http://www.whmpodcast.com/2016/12/whm-on-screen-rogue-one.html

Ka0 posted:

I posit the alternative that disney wouldn't want to risk adding new hardware for the empire and just coast off tried and tested designs. On account on prequel trilogy debacle.

I can agree with that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

I think this thread is on the verge of winding up in CineD again.

probaly. someone said it on another thread but R1 was basicaly an old EU novel/comic made into a movie which was pretty much what i expected. i went in expecting meh/okish characters who would all die and bunch of empire vs rebel fighting with maybe vader loving dudes up with some cameos. and thats what i got. so i am happy.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sExTt4j69zI

more rogue one.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

vermin posted:

Mike's gonna die inside a little extra now that Rich landed a voice acting role. No Palpatine. No Disney cartoon voice. Only talking about movies he hates til the day death claims him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2B7nNblzRY

sam isnt that bad as Palpatine. i mean yeah mikes better. but he isn't complete poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

a bone to pick posted:

lmao at an old geezer holding off 2 super-powered assassins

yeah, clone wars is a weird mixed bag. rebels is alright though. thrawn is cool and their is poo poo ton of death and politics(not poo poo phantom kind) for a kids show.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Captain Lavender posted:

I was worried I'd have to watch this whole movie again, but most of this commentary has nothing to do with what's happening in the movie, so you could listen to it like a podcast.

And lol at the Star Wars horror movied "VVampa"

yeah, they also expand on their points on the movie alot better and i agree with them more now.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

oohhboy posted:

The commentary gets worse further in. Maybe they got drunk or it's deliberate but they get really obtuse. They really, really want that heist movie but being that knowledgeable about Star Wars you would think they would put two and two together to realise they will get that movie later at an undetermined date.

They bitch on about the team having no plan before wishing for Oceans Eleven for the nth time. Yeah no poo poo because they didn't know anything about the place and they didn't have time. They show you the team looking up the local directory, the commandos were plan 2/2.

The tension from the final battle doesn't come from a timer. The tension comes from the ebb and flow of the battle. Who is winning is constantly changing hands. The Death Troopers arrive for example is another reversal like the AT-AT and their subsequent destruction.

Had they not shown the Death Troopers disembarking you wouldn't know where they came from. Krennic did send them off but the movie always makes sure you know where things are moving.

They miss the reasons why the camera followed some of the action at such and such of an angle. They provided the motion to move into the next scene or frame so you know where and when something is happening.

It is something TFA is missing especially during the final battle as space and time goes out the window. TFA uses a timer but when that passes nothing happens. The same set of scenes in ANH has them show you the firing sequence from earlier just seconds after zero. If you use a timer, you have to show the countdown. Then you have people teleporting about the place leaving you asking where the gently caress everyone is and how did they get there.

Leia was being a badass by lying right into Vadar's face and had nothing to lose.

The character arcs were weak, but come the gently caress on.

It was a good start but they devolve and start missing the forest for the trees. It got to the point I wrote off their obtuseness as factitious.

ehh. i sorta agree, but they said from the beginning they arnt that sorta star wars fan. i like the movie well enough but i agree with the basic point. from a visuals/technical stand point, its good and it captures the athestics of the originals well, but it has none of the character depth or arcs.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

oohhboy posted:

It's blow back from them unjustifiably gushing about TFA.

Yeah, the problems isn't a technical one. I would take it any day over anything JJ puts out.

i like both for differing reasons. though i like TFA more then R1 as a movie.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dmitri-9 posted:

Rogue One is the skeleton of a good movie.

thats about right.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtMulYBE-m0

Brian Blessed is also amazing in commentaries.

god, that was amazing. i love how loving happy he is about just being in the movie and talking about weird poo poo in such a jolly way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I liked GOTG 2 alot maybe even better then one for the same reasons RLM did. it was more character focused and everyone had a arc and the humor was overall pretty good though it felt forced at times in the beginning. that said the only complaint they made that i didnt agree with was the whole "peter should have been seduced by ego longer and his friends help him". personaly i just liked When Peter learns Ego killed his mother his reaction was one of the most realistic and justified knee-jerk reactions I ever seen in a movie. least in a cape flick.

• Locked thread