Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The OHP is cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I... I really just don't know what to say to that.

I mean its great and all but its kinda loving creepy.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

My work schedule changed recently and getting up at 0345 to go to the gym loving sucks.

Bonus is there is absolutely no one there negative is it takes me longer to get going and I don’t have as much time as I need.

Bonus empty gym pic.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bape Culture posted:

Badass. My gym doesn’t even open til 5

Yeah the owner will give you a key for $20 for 24 hour access.

nooneofconsequence posted:

that's a nice gym

Its actually quite something. It was first opened in 1969 by a Venice beach Body Builder and then sold to Horace J. McKenna in 1976 who... http://articles.latimes.com/2000/oct/29/local/me-43962

It changed hands a few times after that but the guy who owns the building now has been working out there for nearly 30 years. My coach Jason was a competing powerlifter that held a World Record in the deadlift of 716 lbs. at 220 lb. body weight (WPL or something). He really does some amazing work with the women clients too and there is actually a good mix of men vs some pretty strong rear end women that actually compete.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/the-key-for-progress-recognizing-and-overcoming-laziness/

Pretty good read.

quote:

Get a training partner or find a crew to train with
This is also a huge help. In my opinion, it’s not going to make as big of a difference as in-person coaching, but it’s going to make a bigger difference than online coaching.

Training with a partner or a crew accomplishes two important things:

It gives you accountability. If other people are expecting you to show up, it makes you feel more obligated to make it to every training session (half the battle is just showing up). If they’re depending on you for something (like if you have a single training partner and you know they need you to spot them because no one else at your gym can be trusted), this increases the accountability further.

They’ll push you. Good training partners know how to use the stick and the carrot. They give you kudos when you bust your rear end, and they’ll push you when you’re slacking. You’re constantly trying to catch them on lifts where they beat you, and you’re constantly trying to keep your edge on the lifts you’re better at. If there’s a gap in skill, you can still compete on the basis of how hard you work.

Training with partners or a crew of dedicated lifters makes a bigger difference in my own training than any other individual factor. I’m naturally hyper-competitive, and sometimes (often) I find myself slacking when I train alone. However, if I have at least one other person to train with, the quality of my training improves dramatically. I mercilessly talk trash constantly (in a good-natured way. But, in case, you were wondering, I’m not quite the mild-mannered nerd I may come across as online, as all of my previous training partners can attest to), so I know I have to back it up under the bar, against training partners who want to knock me down a peg. My goal is always to do one more rep or one more set than everyone else, and to generally make sure they throw in the towel before I do. I do a pretty good job of creating a competitive yet supportive environment, and we all elevate our training because of it.

You may be wired a little differently, but training with other people can still make a huge difference.

One study showed that married people who got a gym membership and started working out together were almost all still training a year later – dropout rate was only 6.3% – whereas married people who started working out without their partner had a dropout rate of 43%. Attendance was significantly higher for the people who worked out with their spouse as well.

Another study showed that working out with people who are in better shape than you makes you train harder. The researchers instructed people to cycle for 20 minutes at 60-70% of their max heart rate. Some of the people cycled alongside someone who they perceived to be in good shape, and some of them cycled alongside someone who they perceived to be in bad shape. The women cycling with someone who they perceived to be to in good shape maintained an average heart rate 14 beats per minute higher than the women cycling with someone who they perceived to be in bad shape. For men, the difference was 25 beats per minute.

It’s important not just to have people to train with, but to train with people who are good training partners. They should motivate you to work harder and keep you accountable. If they’re demotivating or if they enable laziness and bad habits, you should kick them to the curb.

Much like coaching, if you simply can’t find people to train with in-person, getting plugged into an online community of like-minded individuals can help as well. Just like choosing training partners, find an online community that motivates you and helps you out. Avoid online communities marked by rampant negativity. However, again, in-person trumps online by a broad margin.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Ferret King posted:

Well, I don't dont skip the gym ever and pushing myself just injures me. Plus I hate people. So I'll pass.

Well you post here so this counts as an online community. Sorry

:glomp:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I like this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUUIfUR7qOg

Hope he doesn’t turn out to be a racist or something

I have been following him on IG for a while and he's really good.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Gains of the gods.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Chinatown posted:

is that cottage cheese :stare:

Yes. Yes it is.

It sounds weird as gently caress but it works? It’s not something I’d do often but it was a nice break from normal plain cottage cheese ( or just some pepper).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fallows posted:

i thought it was masehdw potatoes

Hey I’d be down to try that too!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s like 4:30am and I should be sleeping but noooooo I’m in the gym.

I hate this work schedule.

Squats and OHP are good though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

everyone is taking about OHP and i feel like i'm being pressured into doing it. but i am going to stay strong and loyal to my waifu, the bench

As my Spanish friend said why not both? I don’t do them both on the same day but I do alternate.

Squat bench RDL
Squat OHP DL

:shrug:

The OHP is good fun and functional.

https://www.sixstarpro.com/training/6-reasons-standing-overhead-press/

All of those reasons apply. The OHP can straight kick your rear end in all the right ways.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 20, 2018

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

I already bench or do bench accessories 4 times a week so

and no ohp doesn't count as a bench accessory

or does it?

IMO OHP is a main lift not accessory.

It can help with your bench though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Anti-Hero posted:

What’s your work schedule?

6 am - 4pm but that 4 pm can turn into 8pm so I have to go in the morning or I risk missing going in the afternoon.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Defiant Sally posted:

Trap bar deads are the ultimate glute demolisher. My rear end is in Hell.

Speaking of....

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/trap-bar-deadlifts/

quote:

Trap Bar Deadlifts are Underrated

Trap bar deadlifts allow for more flexibility in the movement, higher velocity and power output, and are safer and easier to learn for a lot of people.

I’m a bit ashamed to admit that I used to be a barbell purist. I’m not sure how the idea got lodged in my head, but I spent quite a few years working with the assumption that barbell exercises were always (or almost always) superior to their biomechanically similar, non-barbell counterparts. It took me way too long to realize and accept that trap bar deadlifts are a superior option for most people in most contexts than the straight bar deadlift. Both research and my own self-experimentation helped me see the light.

This article will compare and contrast the trap bar and straight bar deadlifts and make a pitch for the trap bar deadlift as the better option for the majority of lifters.

Really good article. I used to just do Sumo but I've moved to the trap bar and it works so much better for me. My DL isn' poo poo (315 as of Thursday) but it just works so much better for me its not even funny. I am 100% not going to compete ever so the trap bar works.

Trap bar is also what I use for my farmers carries too so I love me some trap bar.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

trap bar farmer's walks are good too

Not empty quoting.

If you want to get 100+ per hand its pretty much what you need to use. Trying to use DB's honestly kinda sucks and the Trap bar works so much better.

Also everyone should do Farmers walks they are loving amazing for everything.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I love farmers carries. They make your forearms feel like they are going to explode and it is awesome.

Slowly trying to work up to 150 per hand (125 now) 50 yards per walk x 8.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Killing Loaf posted:

How hard are those to recover from? I'm thinking about adding some in but I'm not sure if I have much more recovery capacity left right now.

Honestly they aren’t hard to recover from but I do them quite a bit. Just start with some like 40lb kettle bells and see how you do.

Just make sure each walk “rep” is a decent distance. We’ve played with taking slow steps for a shorter distance but I don’t think they work as well as holding for longer distance.

Really everyone recovers differently so you won’t know till you try it. It’s a great accessory workout and they don’t call it the waking plank for nothing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

it wouldn't be killer if I was squatting with 80 pounds either.... but if you are doing heavy farmer's walks they are as killer as any of the other big lifts.

How much are you doing when you do them?

Also I was assuming the guy above hadn't done them before as part of his routine so starting out light and working them in shouldn't cause any issues :shrug:

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 22, 2018

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The 1 arm OHP is great on an accessory day though because it will help your OHP.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Gorman Thomas posted:

I did 100 yard KB famers walks between RDL sets yesterday and woooo it's good poo poo.

My man.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This helps but real talk.

Dips, lat pull downs, pull ups using bands.

Those all help with getting to your first real pull up. Beyond that lat pull downs and doing lots of pull-ups helps if you want to do lots of pull-ups lol.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Helios Grime posted:

^^^^Lat pulldowns help poo poo at getting better at pullups. You're taking out your whole lower body of the equation, which is essential while performing a pullup.

What are you talking about?

quote:

Pull ups are a compound exercise that works your upper body.

The target muscle is the “latissimus dorsi” or the well-known lats.

Your lats are the muscle group which determines how wide your back is.

If you want to achieve a V-shaped back, then pull ups must belong in your workout routine.

Lats or Latissimus Dorsi is the muscle that adds width to the back and gives your upper body the V shape look that all men want.

It also creates the illusion of wide shoulders.

what muscles do pull ups work

Many people think that you have to work out your shoulders hard to develop wide shoulders.

The truth is that having a big, wide back is what makes your shoulders look wider!

Pull ups target your lats better than any other exercise. They also work your biceps, upper back and forearms.

They also work other muscles like your traps, rhomboid, teres major, infraspinatus, pecs, erector spinae and external oblique.

The lats do like most of the work in the pull-up. Do lat pull downs.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Helios Grime posted:

I'm sorry, where exactly does it say in that weird block of text that the lat pull down exercise makes you better at pull ups? It sure as poo poo trains your lats which is cool and good and I totally agree, but it ain't making you better at the pull up. I mean, you wouldn't recommend someone to train cable flys to get better at benching. You would tell him to bench more and maybe add the flys as an acessory.
Using bands and negatives to teach the proper muscles firing during the exercise is way better than just focusing on the main muscle and doing isolations on it.

Because Lat pull downs work the lats? I dunno weird concept I know.

Working on accessories to get better at main lifts is a thing. I’m not sure what you are arguing here really.

He wanted to get better at pull ups and I gave suggestions that help that. Lat pull downs on off days from working on pull-ups absolutely help develop the muscle group needed to get better at pull-ups.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I read an article a while back that gave a pretty strong recommendation to using dips either a lead up to doing strict pull-ups and or using them as an accessory on the off day.

Also accessory work absolutely helps all the main lifts.

Do accessory work if you can fit it into your schedule.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Wouldn’t it make sense then to just ignore anything that wasn’t pull-ups, and only do pull-ups, when you want to do more pull-ups? Assisted or otherwise

I mean yeah the last pull down is kinda a gimped pull-up but I’d personally go with assisted pull-up machine because they do feel different

Honestly everyone is different but for me I won’t train a main lift every day so for me it makes sense to do the accessory stuff on the off days.

I know there are theories about putting in more work on main lifts but 3-4 days a week of hard stuff is what works for me along with 3 days of accessory work.

If you can work pull-ups every day without blowing your self out please do but not everyone is able to do that.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Front Squat is great but boy do I loving hate it.

That poo poo can really kick your rear end good.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zev posted:

Did some farmers walks for the first time yesterday.

RIP my grip.

:getin:

Yesssss

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

meet girls at the store posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but how do I farmer’s walk/carry more than two plates at a time? Right now I just grab a 45 in each hand and walk around the outside perimeter of my house, but those 45s are starting to feel mighty light.

You have a couple of options and the hex bar / trap bar is one of the better options if you only have plates.

Kettle bells work great too if you have them but most people won’t have 2 of the same weight.

DB carries work too but I find them awkward to walk with.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Killing Loaf posted:

DEXA scan

Oh wait this is the GBS joke thread so I'm gonna go with liposuction, weighing the fat, and then putting it back in

Yeah I’ve done both the DEXA scan and the dunk tank and the DEXA is way more accurate. In LA at least it’s not that expensive either.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Inept posted:

the dexa gave you the lower number, huh

No they were both pretty close but the DEXA gives more information and you don’t have to dunk your rear end in a tank.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Weebly posted:

The doctor puts you in a tank (and I didn’t have to shower).will make you do breathing things. You put your head underwater a few seconds. Not hard at all

Not hard but that vs just laying on a table while a machine does it’s thing is much better and it’s nearly the same price so :shrug:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The thing about the scales measuring BF % is like how could that possibly even work?? Like think about it for a second and realize that the number is almost completely worthless.

At that point you are better off just looking in the mirror :shrug:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Calvin Johnson Jr. posted:

tell me why i should keep squatting when i feel like i get more results from heavy rear end leg press

there's gotta be a reason but im so loving tired after that i can't be hosed to squat any numbers remotely decent. am i loving myself in some way even slightly?

Why are you doing leg presses before squatting?

Also squatting is awesome and leg presses are good but squats will work a lot more muscles.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 5, 2018

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hello Swole friends,

Walmart has some gym mats on sale today.

https://slickdeals.net/f/12110035-w...e=3#commentsBox

Did some quick math and it cost about $55 to do about 1/2 my 2 car garage. Gonna move my rowing machine and weights down there so I can finally clean out the spare room they are in now. Might just have to invest in a squat rack and bench at this rate lol.

My gym isn't far but sometimes I just can't be assed to leave the house.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

God drat he’s big but uh.... that squat video where his belly goes between his legs is quite something.

The weight is impressive no doubt.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

God drat Phil is a poo poo head.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

benzine posted:

Be careful, don't want top read that Phil is suing MarcusSA.

No poo poo on that... Jesus.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Garrand posted:

Anyone else here go to an anytime fitness? Do they all have that overpowering... I don't want to say perfume scent but it's nose burningly strong.

Also the wifi here is worse than my 4G connection

I get a membership as part of my job and I don’t use it often but the few times I’ve gone I haven’t noticed any scents. It’s a pretty new one though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Most sports need muscle, so pick one.
But tbh if you can't hold down a regular schedule at the gym, you'll probably fall off the amateur sport wagon too.

Speaking of schedules, I'm thinking of changing mine to early morning gym. I gotta be at work at 0600 Monday through Friday, my gym is on the way to work and it opens at 4. So I could probably wake up at like 0350 and get an hour workout and a shower in before driving in to work (might be able to wake up later, we'll see).
All you early-rear end morning workout goons, how is it? Wondering if I'll want to kill myself (more than usual) or not.

I do this and it kinda sucks.

You wouldn’t think getting up say an hour earlier would be that big of a deal but when it’s 3 something in the morning it starts to wear you down.

I’ve found that you definitely need to keep you sleep schedule on point. Like I have to be in bed by 8:30 ( I get up at 3:30) if I want to even remotely feel like I’ve gotten enough sleep.

The other issue I have is that you also have to make sure you can set an maintain a certain pace for your workouts because you are on a time clock which for me has led to missing things on my workout schedule because I was either dragging rear end that morning or something took longer then I thought.

But yeah if you can jump out of bed at 3:50 and hit the gym do it my job can be unpredictable so if I don’t go in the morning there is a chance I couldn’t go at night so mornings are a must.

Oh yeah and make sure your breakfast is on point lol I’m loving starving by the time I get to work at 0600.