Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Anybody play shadow warrior 2 yet? Looks like mad fun to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

bloodychill posted:

I think at this point, RPG has just become short-hand for "you get new skills, possibly gain levels." Yeah, it's not role-playing in the tabletop or MMO sense, but at some point we accepted stupid genre names and they stuck.

Its not even at this point; "RPG" has meant "Game with stats in" for a really long time.

Most RPGs do not actually have anything close to 'role playing', although there are several that do. (IMO Vampire: TM Bloodlines is one of the best attempts)

Monkey Fracas posted:

Was there ever a game released that basically replicated how combat works in D&D 4e?

4th ed is already a videogame! :cheeky:

Seriously though 4E is pretty much taking D&D and making it more videogame like. All your abilities are just buttons to push.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

Protip: if you want a D&D video game, you don't actually want D&D.

Yup, which is why lots of people moved to Pathfinder.

4E is the very best D&D for somebody's first ever roleplaying experience. Then as soon as they're comfortable with the idea, you move on.

Personally I love White Wolf D10. Its just so simple compared to D20.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

bloodychill posted:

There are 10 less D's, of course it's more simple.

Its math!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah, AD&D had a lot of old games based on it and 3.0 and 3.5 have lots of newer games based on them (like temple of elemental evil) but the point is 4.. I don't think it does.

Which is kinda funny since its so videogamey in its design.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

raditts posted:

I don't know much about D&D, I've never done the table top poo poo. What's the difference between that and AD&D? Because there were a shitload of those games in the '80s / early '90s and they were all awesome to 10 year old me.

Just rules revisions.

The original D&D was a pretty lightweight booklet, and so got tons and tons of supplements over time as nerds wanted rules for different things.

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons was much bigger rulebook compilation, that tried to put that all together into one big official edition, and revise a few things.

2nd Ed, Originally "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition" switched up a ton of the rules and split the rules across 3 books which were much nicer material. Its the version most of the older generation knows.

3rd dropped the AD&D title and went to just "Dungeons & Dragons 3rd Edition" and they simplified a lot of things, got rid of THAC0, but also added a ton and made it kinda imbalanced and prone to min/maxing. That's the one most of my generation knows.

3.5 was a patch to address imbalance issues in 3 and clean some things up, since 3 was working well and had lots of supplements, they didn't want to make those all obsolete. New updated rulebooks that look very similar to 3rd's.

4th was an attempt to simplify things, but went kinda too far. Its very 'videogamey'. Some like it but most disliked it.

5th is the newest version and they kinda realized they've made some mistakes, Pathfinder took some of the market from them, and so this time they crowdsourced lots of the rules and had a public beta and it helped fix a lot.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Joe Gillian posted:

Shadow Warrior 2 is my game of the month, and I've only played 1h30m of it. It's probably gonna be my game of the year. This may be a little thing, but I love being able to see my character's legs and feet in FPS games, it helps me immerse myself in the character that much more.

Yeah SW2 is an absolute blast. I played co-op with 3 of my buddies last night and it was a complete riot. The writing and story are pretty weak but who cares. What a blast.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I have a TV that does interpolation and I love it. You can see so much more detail during camera pans its insane. It does give people that 'soap opera effect' at first, but the more of it you watch, the less and less you notice, it becomes pretty comfortable.

I absolutely loved watching Hobbit at high frame rates, audiences need to get over it already.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Snak posted:

I think there's a difference between high frame rate and interpolation. I've seen some really weird interpolation artifacts during quick motion.

Well, of course. That's why they're different terms? They're both high frame rate but if you record it natively at high speed its going to be ideal, whereas interpolation is an algorithm attempting to patch frames based on the data it has, which is imperfect. It works really well for lots of camera pans and its fine for still scenes too, but if there's rapid cuts or motion then it does produce artifacts. But its not a huge deal IMO.

CJacobs posted:

I saw a couple reviews that said The Hobbit at 48 fps looked like watching a stage play of The Hobbit and not a movie, and I agree.

I think that feeling of being live with the characters is actually really cool. The thing is it raises the bar for filmmaking, because everything has to be acted just right, with the right motions and weight and everything, and you notice anything that's fake much more. But I think that's a cool thing and pushes the medium and the art further.

Not everything needs to be high frame rate, but for huge budget productions like The Hobbit and LOTR where there's tons of money in costumes and you have hundreds of characters fighting on screen, when you compare the 24fps to high frame rate, the 24fps is basically a muddy sea of incomprehensible colors. High frame rate actually lets you follow the motions.

Although more and more directors are going the opposite direction, cutting corners with shakey cam to save money, so that's probably overly optimistic.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 16, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

In Training posted:

Interpolation is dumb because it's inventing images that a filmmaker never created

I watched Newsroom on my downstairs TV with interpolation and forgot it was even on, but then I later was watching the next episode on my computer and I was stunned, whoa; before when the camera pans across the room I could see everything on people's desks, even read the titles of books and things (all these details that the director bothered putting in the scene and spent money for the props) but at 24 it just turns into a blur when the camera moves. You don't really notice it, you know the room is there and there are desks and the camera is moving, but its super blurry.

Its not ideal for everything, but I'm not sure saying that its dumb because the filmmaker never 'created' it is fair. The director did a sweep pan in the film, they built the costumes and sets and props, maybe he wanted it blurry but maybe not.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Crusader posted:

Holding out for:

Yeah Westworld has me really hankering for a good western game. Comeon new Red Dead.

A westworld MMO would be an interesting idea. Like, a modern mmo-light game anyways.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Ahh nice; hope it's a character-switching ensemble-type affair

Same, also hope they use the character-switching mechanic to finally have a playable lady in a Rockstar game.

Really don't get why they didn't in 5.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 17, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

Has anyone played Obduction, speaking of Kickstarter games?

I have it but I've been so drat busy with PSVR and retro games and Shadow Warrior 2 so I've barely touched it :smith:

I really need to play it more.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

I want to know what people think of it because I loved the Myst games but Myst 5 was really bad, and while the base game of Uru is pretty good, they were clearly way off the mark for what they were going for. I'm hoping they found there way again in the long break. Normal reviews are hard to read because there's all this "Do we really need soemthing else in this genre?" poo poo.

Yeah, 5 lost what Myst was and tried too many different things (free FPS, writing on tablets, etc.), same with Uru (should have been single player)

Myst just needs to be Myst. Don't fix what ain't broke.

I think the reviewers really are to blame. Its the same with Musou games, every time they put out a Dynasty Warriors you've got IGN and crew making GBS threads on it going "this, again? Everything is the same" and yet for fans of Musou, that's what we want! That's fine! Shut up! Just give me more characters, better graphics, and new levels.

And the hypocrisy is its not like CoD isn't the same exact game every year, but they somehow tolerate it for FPS more? Even though games like Myst / Musou are more original and effectively their own genre by comparison? :psyduck:

But Obduction really seems like they're going back to the Myst roots, so yeah.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Looper posted:

they kept telling me "oh you'll need this in real life trust me look at all these practical applications of math" but i haven't done an integral since high school

They're useful later in life if you want a great paycheck :cheeky:

oddium posted:

if you try to have a calculator calculate donkey kong country completions it'll melt down (calculators don't have the artistic liberty of expressing 101/102/103%)

Sure they do, if you do the math right.

101/100 = 1.01

Expressed as a percentage 1.01 x 100 = 101%

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

oddium posted:

....... no common core please .......

Percentages aren't loving common core :v: what the hell

Am I really showing you something you don't know by pointing out that .5 = 50% ?

Bicyclops posted:

Manager: I expect my employees to literally give me 101 percent!*

*Engineer's brow begins twitching*

*Compared to performance last month.

As long as you qualify it there's nothing wrong! ;)

CJacobs posted:

When I started learning how to program/code video games as a side hobby I figured "oh no, I'm going to h ave to do all that math stuff I hated in high school". But then I realized that I am sitting at a computer and I can just make the computer do the math for me. v:geno:v

edit: "You're not going to always have a scientific calculator in your pocket", said my high school teacher before the invention of smartphones

We had TI-83s in high school.

And I wrote programs to do the math for me. They made you clear out the calc memory before you could take a test, but if you knew how to re-write the program nobody stopped you :evilbuddy:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 17, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

What even was this game, I remember seeing ads and then nothing

It was a boring action game with a really dumb name.

Looper posted:

I remember thinking it weird that someone would prominently display their female protagonist on a game named WET but that's about it

Yep. I remember one of the devs at E3 being like "no you see because she does wetwork like hired hit jobs..." and :rolleyes:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Shadow Warrior 2 is the game of the month in my opinion. Very funny dialog and really good gameplay.

Same, surprisingly fun. The co-op and diablo loot really adds a ton for me over SW1, although I can understand why some people prefer SW1.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

Does the PSVR have a theater mode, where one can wear the headset and play non-VR games on a large screen? I've got a decent TV but if I'm interested in knowing if I could play something like Battlefield 1 on the equivalent of an AMC projection screen from my couch.

Yes it does, and in fact you can even plug other consoles and things into the HDMI input on the PSVR unit and use them in theater mode!! :aaa:

You also get to pick between 3 different sized screens. It works pretty well. If you had to let somebody else use the TV or something you could get by, like WiiU playing on the gamepad. But in general for 2D content its probably gonna be more comfortable to watch a normal screen for long term playing. VR's best when you're in proper VR.

But it does definitely work and looks pretty dang good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

The new doom is actually called Shin Doom in Japan. They take that kind of stuff seriously there, unlike the Creed listening fools in the west.

Shin Doom

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lobok posted:

Writing is also a problem in open world games because the main storyline is usually based around important and urgent objectives that don't make sense for the character to ignore when the player wants to do side missions. RPGs do it too, I suppose.

Fallout 4 was real bad about this. "Hmmm well I have a missing son, who is the only family I have remaining, but gently caress em! I'm gonna help this town get its water supply running first."

Red Bones posted:

Contrast this with, say, Bioshock: Infinite. What does the game's narrative ask you to do? Rescue Elizabeth and take her away from the floating city. What does the gameplay tell you to do? Shoot all the people. I can't remember if you can even run through a combat arena in Infinite without killing all the people within it first.

To be fair, a lot of action movies the plot is basically "Save so-and-so" and you still end up blasting your way through. And there are times in bioshock infinite where you can skip past people and not kill everybody. And when you first show up you're peaceful and the people are too, and then they turn on you and you have to defend yourself.

I mean its not perfect obviously, but there's way worse contradictions in other games. Way worse.

One of my pet peeves is when your character does super badass stuff in a cutscene that the game can't remotely approach letting you do. Its like they're advertising a better game that you're not playing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

thehoodie posted:

I just don't think about it because its a video game and not real

Look at this guy who is 2 cool 4 school

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

here is a picture

Much better marketing name than Wii or WiiU at least.

I think the concept is solid. I just wanna know if the base station provides any juice or if the thing can run at full power when on the go or what?

Level Slide posted:

I actually haven't played Splatoon in a long while, so I thought it was showing off backwards-compatibility of the Switch until I started noticing the ways it wasn't Splatoon. I hope all those haircuts can be used by both boy and girl squids.

Is it not? That looked like a port or backwards compatibility to me. They also showed what looked exactly like Super Mario 3D World.

Sequels would be cool I guess, although if those are sequels they're like... identical to the originals other than a couple of new things? Are you sure its not the same?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Black Lodge Palpek posted:

I don't know anything about this console but my first impression from this pic is that it looks really gimmicky. Not that any of the previous Nintendo consoles weren't mind you.

Gimmicks are nintendo's MO, yes. From virtual boy to dual screens to touchpads to motion controls. They make toys that are also games.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

glam rock hamhock posted:

I wonder if the screen on the Switch will be able to be used like a Wii U screen. I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to leave that behind but if it could that would go a long way towards it being backwards compatible with the Wii U.

What, you mean like you can turn the TV off? Because its portable so ... it definitely works that way.

Or do you mean touchscreen?

Oh you mean having 2 different video feeds, dual screen style. Well, it probably can from a technical standpoint, so it's just seeing if/which games use it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Hundreds-of-dollars impulse buys are a bad idea in all cases. Even a video game console.

Day 1 != impulse buy when the console is advertised long in advance of being released. You have plenty of time to think about if you can afford it or not before release day.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Fair enough, but that just implies that you have a long time to contemplate whether or not to potentially pay more money than you need to, instead of a short time

Consoles don't depreciate in value that fast though? If you want a Switch to be $50 you're going to be waiting until the next console generation and when people are hocking used ones.

If you wanna play games when they're new you're not paying more money than you need to. Whether you want that or not is up to you I guess, but for lots of people with disposable income its perfectly sensible.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CJacobs posted:

When it comes to new consoles, I really disagree, because you've got no idea what the library is going to look like outside of what you saw in the previews. We got that big list of developers but that doesn't guarantee they're gonna make games for the thing that you'll want to play.

I'm struggling to think of a single console outside of jokes like Game.com and OUYA that doesn't have at least one good game

Knowing Nintendo they'll have something worth playing. Most Wii launch games were awful, but then there was Zelda.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

RDR2 better not get rid of gambling, that was the biggest disappointment of GTAV with me, not being able to go to a casino and play BJ

Its real sad becuase GTA Online was such a big deal and playing blackjack with your friends between heists would be kinda fun.

Way more fun than goddamned arm wrestling or darts, anyways!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Celery Jello posted:

John Romero Is Going To Make You His Switch

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

So consoles are now moving toward 4k and HDR and VR and Nintendo is probably going to put out another underpowered consoles that isn't going to get ports. Okay.

They'd probably do better to market this as a handheld that easily connects to your TV than as a console to compete with the Xbox or Playstation.

I don't think they're marketing it as a console to compete with xbox or playstation. They didn't even try doing that with Wii or WiiU really. Nintendo does their own thing, they have enough awesome first-party games that the consoles still sell, and hopefully they get a few 3rd party games here and there. Its been that way for the last like 4 or 5 console generations dude.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

The problem is that money-wise it didn't work out super will with the Wii U and this does seem to cater to a similar market. That it's getting a Skyrim port is a good sign, because what the Wii U was missing was triple A support. It's probably the system I'll buy next because if I play Mario, Zelda, and like 3-4 other games on it, it's worth the price of admission, which is how I felt about the Wii U, but I don't know that other people are going to think that way.

Yeah, that's true. One of Nintendo's strength is being the console for kids and families, and people not knowing a new Nintendo is out really takes a bite out of that market.

Yeah, thing is the Wii didn't compete on graphics either and it printed money. But people were fatigued from buying the Wii and didn't even realize the WiiU was a new console, so yeah, didn't sell so hot.

This is much more clearly a new product and has a new name that isn't dumb, it'll probably do pretty well.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Snak posted:

I mean, if nintendo just stopped with consoles and made games for sony and microsoft consoles, I would buy almost every nintendo game. As it is, I buy almost zero

Its unfortunate, but like people who pirate HBO just to watch Game of Thrones, they mostly don't care. They make more off the big package deal than they would selling software ala carte. Or at least they believe they would.

glam rock hamhock posted:

It appears to have 3DS like game cards.

If it has compatibility with actual 3DS cards that'd rule, although I'm not expecting it.

If it can download games you've already bought digitally for 3DS and run them I'd be so happy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Hello everybody, how is everyone doing today?

I just got back from going to a local bar/tavern thing and it was fun, had some good food (a good burger and some good chili), and I saw that they had beer for sale that wasn't just budweiser and stuff like that. I've always been told that budweiser and poo poo are all absolutely awful and people only get them because they're cheap and they want a quick buzz but I've never had any of that stuff so idk. They did have a beer called Sweet Baby Jesus that I remember a goon suggesting people try out. Have any of you ever heard of/tried Sweet Baby Jesus, or do any of you have any recommendations for beers as a person who hasn't really tried any before?

American Lagers are just water with the homeopathic memory of being beer, they're not beer. Avoid them. This includes Budweiser, Coors, etc. The "Light" or "Lite" versions are even worse. Never drink them.

Beers for people who don't like beer: Hefeweizens and Belgian Wheats. Nice tasty beers.
Stay away from dark Stouts or IPAs until you have a strong taste for beer.

Shock Top is pretty good stuff that's widely available. Blue Moon, anything by New Belgium Brewing Co. (Although again, avoid the IPAs for now)

Sweet Baby Jesus I haven't had but googling it, its a Dark Porter with chocolate and peanut, I probably wouldn't drink that as your first ever beer unless you wanna be turned off.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

What is a porter, versus every other kind of word related to beer

I dunno the difference between whatever stouts, porters, ales, or any of that stuff

Different types of beer made with different types of hops that have different tastes.

Generally speaking you should go for lightly colored amber beers if you're not used to beer, leave the dark brown ones for later.

Lagers are light beers with low bitterness, but American Lagers aren't really beer and are poo poo. Avoid.

Ales are kinda light brown, between the amber gold beers and the dark brown beers. Some are quite good, medium bitter, medium taste.

Stouts are strong beers usually with a chocolate or coffee taste, like Guinness. Good poo poo but you gotta grow to like the taste of beer first.

IPAs or Indian Pale Ales are beers originally designed to survive extremely long ship voyages, and as such are EXTRA bitter. Avoid if you're not a regular beer drinker, although lots of people swear by them.

Hefeweisen is German wheat beer, nice and tasty. Belgian wheat beers are also nice tasty wheat beers. Start with those and go darker as you get used to the taste.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Trust me Kite, you're looking for Hefeweizens. Most companies make at least one and they should all be fine. Hefes are the boss :cheeky: Just tell the waiter you want a Hefeweizen or a wheat beer and they'll know. Even American brewing company Hefes are fine.

Do not trust anybody who tells you to start with IPAs. They're popular with hipsters because most people hate them, although that's not to say nobody actually likes them, just that it is a VERY aquired taste.

FirstAidKite posted:

Though maybe with all of this "getting used to the taste" business, maybe I shouldn't bother since I have a drink maybe once every 6 to 8 months at most

Shock Top is basically orange juice in beer form, its super delicious. Beers like that you won't have to 'get used to'.

Its the dark stouts like Guinness or the strong bitter IPAs that take getting used to. But if you drink a few shock tops or blue moons, you'll get a feel for it (while not being disgusted) and then you'll suddenly start liking the IPAs. (or not)

That's a great way to get started. When friends of mine tell me they don't like the taste of beer, I order them a Shock Top and they almost always realize they just don't like dark beers.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 20, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

My local gas station has woodchuck cider plus angry orchard cider :cheers:

I'm drinking a Karbach beer right now though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I prefer whiskey, but rum is my second favorite liquor.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Looper posted:

color splash is real good

I really really want to like it, the graphics and story seem great, but the combat is made for toddlers from what I've heard so ... that kinda kills it for me.

Nintendo please just make another paper mario RPG, please.

Steve2911 posted:

Is it actually good or Super/Sticker Star 'good'?

Is there a steam train, is what I'm asking.

Reviews I've read said the combat was 100% completely devoid of any challenge whatsoever. So if you wanna play an RPG with godmode...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Looper posted:

I found a really good set up guide for Nintendont that doesn't assume you're a pro who knows exactly what you're doing, if you're interested

Is that for WiiU Homebrew? I wouldn't mind that either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

There's too many games coming out all of a sudden, aaaah I need more free time. I wish publishers would stagger releases more but I know they're all trying to get in for the xmas season.

• Locked thread