Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I think I might gently caress around and try this game.

Do we have much presence on xbox?

If I just really liked skyrim and plan to solo most of the time, how hosed am I?

I see a lot of folks mixing armor pieces and dyes and all that, does anyone know how to make something that looks close to how the thieves guild armor in skyrim looks? I saw that someone pulled off a halfway decent nightingale look and it got me thinking.
This is also a terrible idea, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Elderbean posted:

I'm only level 25 but that's basically how I've been playing and it's fine. It was basically designed to play like an open world game but with other people.

Cool!
Im not allergic to groups or anything, i just have a weird irl schedule and might only get to play a few hours in the middle of the night a couple nights a week, and having to depend on others (or have them depending on me) seems like a bad idea.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Hakarne posted:

Summary: You should try this game.

I probably will, and I'll hit up the thread with my @ when I do.

I'll be on xbox.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Harrow posted:

I do like spears. I assume it's a spell, given that I think all magicka builds use staves?

Fashion Barbie tip: if you use High Elf staff 1 on your outfit, it kinda looks like a spear too.

Maximum fashion/skill synergy imo.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
My argonian dk that ill use for pvp is named flexes-like-sithis and I feel I'm living my best life right now.

Fake edit: star made knight before lvl 30, aww yeahhh.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Noob guide to cyrodiil:

As soon as you load in, type lfg in zone chat. Join a group. Any group.
Enjoy 5 minutes (at best) of loading screens.
Enjoy 10 minutes of riding your horse as fast as you fuckin can.
Enjoy 5 seconds of actual fighting before you get face-wrecked by a 12 year old who will tell you repeatedly to 'git gud' (note: the 12 year old might actually be pushing 40)

If the stars align, and you can hang with your group for awhile, taking keeps will get you pretty good AP

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Rollersnake posted:

2. Make sure you always have at least one skill from each of your class skill trees in your skill bar, to level those skill trees. When you get a second skill bar at level 15, you only earn exp for the stuff on the bar that is active, so you can level more efficiently by being careful about what's in your bar when you hand in a quest.

I'm gonna add to this by saying, if youre stam, you can also level 2 weapon skills at the same time this way. Just put 1 point in a weapon ability when you unlock it, and put that on your bar, then equip a completely different weapon to actually fight with.

Try and wear 1 piece of each armor type to level your armor skills. 5 pieces of what you need, and then 1 each of the others. This helps a lot when you hit max level because:

A. One of the passives in the Undaunted skill line gives you 1% (then 2%) max to your stats for each piece you wear, 6% to everything is pretty drat good ime.

B. The first 3 passives in each armor skill are also small but useful, and if you have points to spare I highly recommend them on pretty much any character,

none of these bonuses are amazing, but all this little poo poo does add up.

Edit: the reason you also do your bars this way is because each skill line levels independently, and only skills on your active bar get xp. With how easy respecs are, it makes the most sense to try and get all your skill lines maxed ASAP

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 12, 2018

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

ASenileAnimal posted:

so im about 2 months into this game and i finally figured out how to sell crap in the store for the one rando guild i joined. anything in paticular i should be putting up to turn a decent profit? i have max provisioning and alchemy right now.

Dubious cameron throne and witchmother's potent brew are very popular buff foods. The recipes come from holiday events and can be hard (expensive) to get.

Finished drinks sell for a bit, stacks of the mats needed to make them sell pretty decently, like beetle scuttle, small game, bervez juice, etc.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

ASenileAnimal posted:

are most world bosses soloable? i managed to take one down alone by circle staffing and jabbing forever and heavy attacking to get stamina.

also want to know if anyone digs the gryphons set at all. it seems to get poo poo on but the speed bonus i got along with being an orc let me dodge a ton of attacks while i was doing this. is there anything else that gives a speed boost that would give me even more speed? i want to zoom around like a racecar jabbing the gently caress out of everything.

I personally love the gryphon set. I havent seen anyone who hates it as much as there are way better sets for doing whatever class and role youre doing.

gently caress em, I run gryphons on 3 of my characters anyway. Combine it with relequens for a good time.

Edit: for more zoom check out coward's gear and dreugh king slayer.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 26, 2018

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

doomfunk posted:

I'm just, like, a guy, you know? Not a CSR though.

Official nintendo uncle

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Is there any kind of unlisted achievement or perk for just saying gently caress it and slaughtering everyone including the named boss in a heist?

Because in general im about thiiiis close to just saying gently caress it and slaughtering everyone in a heist.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Rollersnake posted:

Same. I'm also down to be a half-assed healer that's just one of my DPS characters with a resto staff, for dungeons where that's good enough to get by.

I do this on my maelstrom farmer sorc to get keys, I legit have people saying I do a better job than a lot of pug healers they've grouped with who were actual healers haha

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

JackBadass posted:

I have this happen a lot when I tank on my healer.

In the grim darkness of the future all roles will be played by dps avoiding long-rear end queue times, the only way tanks and healers will get pugs is by queueing as dps...

I mean gently caress, I just "healed" my way through a no death speed run hard mode vet white gold tower.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

...all I wanted was to spend less than 90 minutes to get some keys. I'm so sorry.

:negative:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Coldforge posted:

Zombie's pretty good too, especially if you stop after every boss fight and do the /eat3 emote over it's corpse.

#goals
E: doubly funny if you're either tank or healer

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I feel the lovely sustain with my breton magsorc, but also gently caress altmer.

Also good healers pop orbs constantly, so I only really feel the pain doing dummy parses, and the slight sliver more survivability suits my playstyle more. eg stay out the red poo poo.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

zjentohlauedy posted:

Are we talking about the same mournhold? Because it's always crowded as gently caress around the shrine...

Yeah, mournhold's layout is perfect for me and I park all 9 of my alts there pretty much permanently.

I even used +crowns to buy the apartment/room there for free teleporting back there from anywhere else to decon and sell poo poo.

Mournhold owns.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Yardbomb posted:

Ebonheart is where all the cool dudes reside.

Weird way to spell Daggerfall, but ok.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Ah. I've had this happen a couple times but I assumed it was someone declining. I actually wasnt being sarcastic :)

Yeah, ive heard of this bug, and probably had it happen a few times, but not enough that it wasnt plausibly just someone declining the group.

But holy gently caress 100 times/hour wait is some bullshit.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Annath posted:

Yeah, then I'm not gonna worry about it. I'm no bleeding edge cutthroat content player :v:

Woeler, the de-facto "guy" when it comes to knowing tank poo poo, has a khajiit as his main character.

Race does not matter outside of hardcore min-maxing.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Sunsetaware posted:

My arrogant mage alternates between the Telvanni Magister and the Duchess personality, and she's fabulous.

Magister is pretty much standard on my magsorcs

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Oh hey, I played this on xbox like 2 years ago.

Aaaand just reinstalled this poo poo. How's it going?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

FileNotFound posted:

"Most players" suck hard - I solo them just fine as well. New players are going to get their rear end handed to them by a Summerset Geyser or WB.

They're totally doable solo - but they are a HUGE increase in difficulty from regular dolemn and overland bosses so that tends to catch people off guard.

poo poo, I got my rear end handed to me tonight by keelbreaker in a full group.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

FileNotFound posted:

Keelspliter is my favorite - to watch pubbies fight him from a distance once he's in phase 3 and the 1 shot attacks start.

I highly recommend tagging him and going a bit back to observe the hilarity because he consistently kills multiple pubbies per attack and I find it hilarious.

He can be soloed with a ranged build, my bow bow warden can do him - but it really sucks. With ranged you just got to dodge the aoes and not step on snakes.

If you have 25k hp which you can hit with alacast's solo builds, his 1 shot ability won't actually 1 shot you so you could probably melee him with that hp, but I've never tried.

Well, I did it on a magsorc built 2 years ago, within a couple hours of logging on for the first time since then, doing about 15k on a dummy in my house with a halfassed half remembered rotation and then just saying gently caress it and rolling with it.

Also, I was never great at rotations but I could hit 25-30k consistently back in the day (I always halfassed my rotation because gently caress it) but now I've done a few dummy parses and it seems like dps in general is harder to hit higher numbers but holy poo poo I'm building ult like 2 or 3x as fast and popping those off A LOT more.

Is that a thing now? Like I know yall have had a lot of nerfs and balance and people are pissed, but yeah.

As for sets, I had siroria/mothers sorrow golded and stuff back then so thats what im rolling now. I know False God is the new hotness but loving trials are what burned me out last time so I'm not in a hurry.

I've skimmed Alcast and I'll probably update my build, this is just kind of a first impression since I came back post.

E: I know Valkyn isnt the meta right now but lol that fucker is proccing like crazy too, I love it lol.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 26, 2020

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Overemotional Robot posted:

So I'm playing through the new DLC and... Were Reachmen always Scottish?

Since they first appeared in Skyrim, yeah.

A lot of their names and place names are Gaelic too.

Edit: the Bretons are kinda mapped to English/french people. Nords are pretty clearly scandinavian-ish. So the people in between them seem to be loosely mapped to scottish folks similarly.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jul 27, 2020

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Nerd Of Prey posted:

There might be a basis in Scottish folklore, but there are definitely no Scottish accents in Skyrim.

I never made the claim that they were good accents.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

FileNotFound posted:

I'm still waiting for the Light Attack changes that were planned for Greymoor - because I'm a weirdo and liked them. I expect even more "Canceling my sub!" whines if they ever roll it out - but they really really need to because light attack weaving is loving cancer.

Really weaving is pretty much the reasons the majority of players cannot hit the expected DPS numbers. DLC Vet trials are designed with the expectation that DPS classes will hit anywhere from 60-90k dps which you cannot do without weaving - it's absurd that content is designed around animation canceling.

What are the light attack changes?

Also, yes holy gently caress weaving sucks and needs to die.

And designing content around it sucks, it makes the game less accesible when even normal mode requires that level of tryhard bullshit.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Cuddly Tumblemumps posted:

Wonder how this will impact all the Dwarven spiders I have on the ceiling of one house.

Set up their pathing so it looks like they're swarming up there.

E: invite an arachnophobe to check out your "sweet house".

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Scyantific posted:

The best part is that getting Assault 5 is piss easy these days and that change was completely un-loving-necessary. It's literally a bunch of whiny bitch babies still crying about not wanting to sandbag a few BGs to get rank 5.

I wonder why no one wants to do pvp?

:iiam:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Yeah, this game is pretty forgiving in that way, the only thing you risk losing is time (aw poo poo I need X and I haven't levelled it yet) and some gold (aww poo poo I put points in health and mag).

Even race is changeable with some crowns.

The only unchangeable thing is your class, but that's what alts are for. :v:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Winkle-Daddy posted:

I'm making a crafting character right now. to level up provisioning I crafted 200 crispy cheesy chickens. anytime anyone in zone chat asks for anything I send them 5 chickens with the subject "yum yum eat the chicken"

I've had a handful returned, a couple of guild invites and more than a few "wtf" whispers but I still haven't seen anyone complain about it on reddit.

wasting time in this game is fun and I probably need to be stopped.

You...you goddamn monster!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Winkle-Daddy posted:

I want a Clippy pet. :colbert:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

You've activated the Developer stone.

Once a day, for way longer than anyone is comfortable with, you will sweat profusely while screaming "Developers!" the entire time.

This is a racial bonus of the Ballmer.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

a pale ghost posted:

I notice this thread is way slower than the FF14 thread, is the game less popular? I tried FF14 but it seems really really boring

This game is not anime.

Goons fuckin loooove anime poo poo.

But also there's only like 5 people posting itt regularly.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I might be alone in this but I like the main plot, or the ideas there, the execution is flawed at times.

Yes, it's just Oblivion again. But honestly it feels like Oblivion done better.

Tamriel is hosed up, lesser threats see opportunity to start poo poo. some people are deadric cult infiltrators, others just try to appease the daedra to survive. There's weight and change (as much as an mmo can manage to be fair) and it all feels appropriately world shaking.

It's not just 8 dudes outside of Bruma and then watch an NPC turn into a dragon.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Yeah I don't even mind the gold cost. Going through some delves, that poo poo is a goddamn maze. Its nice to be able to get whatever thing and then just slowly fade away to safety giving the finger to whatever bosses' corpse as you leave.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Sinteres posted:

So I've played and bounced off this game a few times, and for some stupid reason actually preordered Greymoor even though I've never finished any of the story content in the game and quit playing before it came out, and now I think I want to give this game another try. I know every zone is playable at every level, but would the Greymoor story more or less work if I just go straight into it without worrying about going through earlier story content? Feeling obligated to do years of content before I can jump into the new stuff just makes everything seem way less fun.

You can absolutely just go do whatever looks fun.

The only real weirdness is occasionally you meet an NPC who's like "oh hey remember when we did (thing)?" And you've never seen them before.

If that kind of stuff doesn't bother you, then gently caress chronological order and just do whatever, man.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Maybe they've started adding different dialogue options for new characters. I first started playing around Morrowind xpac, and that happened with Naryu, and a couple times doing base game quests out of order.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
They recently made vigor the first unlocked skill in the skill line for this reason. You don't even need to do the quest.

You go into cyrodiil, talk to the guy, tell him you don't need training, walk 30 feet to the General/Commander/Warlord, confirm that "yep, I don't need training." And you get the skill lines, Assault and Support, along with 2 free skill points. Then walk over to the wayshrine in the base and GTFO.

Then you put a point into vigor and it levels up on your bar like any other skill, morph etc.

You never have to think about pvp again.

Only if you decide later that you want to unlock other skills in those lines, will you need to do pvp to level up the skill lines.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

nessin posted:

I'm going to turn my Warden and Necromancer into a tank and healer, just not sure which will be which. Are there any notable reasons to make a Warden over a healer or a tank, or likewise with a Necromancer, like being particularly effective or having an easier time doing the job? Or is it just down to personal preference?

90% personal preference.

But I hear that wardens can be really good healers because of class skills/passives.

Necros can make good debuff healers and have the mass rez ult.

Alternately:

Wardens can make hella tough tanks and resource management is easy via netch.

Necro tanks get spoken of as being pretty on par with dragonknight tanks in terms of toughness/survivability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

SplitSoul posted:

I know it goes against the business model of obscenely priced talking mannequins, but they should really let you place your alts as NPCs around your house to make them less empty. Did any MMO ever do something like that?

This would be awseome, but would probably crash every house ever.