Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Griefor posted:

Is there a trick to this? I'm very far from where most of you guys are but I've had some of the battles with timed conditions (like an enemy that swaps elemental weakness), and it'll go enemy switches to weak to fire -> I queue a fire attack -> fire attack charges -> enemy switches weakness to ice -> attack goes off. Same with that FF6 snail that you cannot attack while his head is inside the shell. I really dislike (short!) windows of opportunity that need to be exploited with charged attacks. Because this always happens to me.
Sometimes it's random but other times things are scripted, as Griefor mentioned. It can be at HP breakpoints or something like turn counters. I believe with VI Ymir it's 3 attacks before he hides in his shell.

Also, fight bosses at battle speed 1 if you aren't already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

LornMarkus posted:

how's Gordon as a character otherwise?
I think he's good. Bow access is nice and Black 3 + White 4 on top of Support 5 could come in handy. His defensive stats at 80 look pretty good among Support 5s; 5172 HP and 111 DEF is behind Ramza's 5595 and 121 but Gordon has 145 RES to Ramza's 116.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Shock Trooper posted:

I don't even know what my A-team should be now...
"A-team" is a flexible thing for me now as I build up relics. Other than Ramza for native Shout, I use different characters for the other slots based on the fight mechanics, what synergy equipment I have, and "Who do I feel like using for this?" Like Eiko with BSB is my main healer but maybe I want to use Rosa with SSB because magic blink would make the fight easier or because IV is my favorite FF game

Attestant posted:

Please stop having good pulls when I get bad ones. It's rather rude. :colbert:
For real. I got Yda's SSB which is fine but whatever. I only got one gold orb too. Ugh.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Lechtansi posted:

If Ramza is happily doing shout + lifesiphon + full break, what should I put on Faris?
Faris' BSB initial attack is Full Breakdown and the commands are Magic Breakdown and Power Breakdown. When I run both:
Ramza - Lifesiphon, Armor Breakdown, Dr. Mog's RM
Faris - Mug Bloodlust, Full Break (in case there's non-burst time), Mako Might RM

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

superloosegoose posted:

Are there any neat mage relics coming up?
https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/52agoo/mage_meta_ultimate_guide_what_relics_to_look_out/

That's a good breakdown of what's coming up.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Lechtansi posted:

Ok, so if I do use Faris, she won't have BSB access right away since I need shout and SS2 first turn. Is full break ok to wait for until halfway through the fight?
What are you RWing? When I use Faris and Ramza, I put the gauge RMs on them and use RW wall.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

ApplesandOranges posted:

Same as most events, Thursday.
http://ffrk.kongbakpao.com/calendar-of-events has it on Wednesday night, moved up probably because Thursday is Thanksgiving in the US

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Zurai posted:

A lot of global players really underestimate his magical burst command, but it's incredibly strong and makes his BSB valid as a DPS soul break all on its own and without regard to the party buff.
You're just making me want it more. Dammit. I don't have Krile or Edward's faithgas so I want to use OK for a mage team.

I'm so ready for disappointment when I blow my mythril and probably some money on Friday

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Lucky: dupe Tifa BSB. More like unlucky!
Three pulls on OK banner so far: 2x Onion Sword, Luneth BSB and SSB, Arc both SSBs, Ingus shield, off-banner X light armor. Maybe one more pull before the banner goes away...

Grozz Nuy posted:

Nothing top tier or anything
As has been talked about, Sephiroth's BSB goes up in value as harder difficulties get added to the game because of the DEF-ignoring command

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
538 ATK Luneth BSB if anyone else wants it for Ahriman - eeze

I've had Sentinel Grimoire up for forever so I may put that back up afterward.

McDragon posted:

So any use for Onion Motes after you unlock all the spheres for OK? Because the drop rate has shot up since I got enough, ha ha.
Same here. I got the last one I needed on my second stage today, and have gotten 3 more in 5 stages since. First world problems etc

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Elephant Ambush posted:

Sooooooo is this a good way to get OK from 90 to 99 super quick?
I prefer the Haste + 10% ATK materia (Gau RM2 I think?) for soloing EXP dungeons with melee characters, as long as the character can clear waves in one turn. Loner/Solitude let you tank hits but I'd rather have the higher chance to act first.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I wonder if forcing the average player to dig much deeper to find things out makes them all the engrossed in the game and more likely to continue playing because lots of games seem to do this minimal in game info thing.
This is what I've heard about mobile games since 2014 when I started playing PAD, which gives no info at all in-game. I'd say it works!

Inge posted:

I was afraid of this. I'm back on 50+ mythril.

Help me to not pull again on onion I
I'm going to hit 50 mythril tonight or tomorrow morning and will probably pull on Onion 1 again for the Gauntlets. No regrets

Inge posted:

Tried again for Ahriman and immediately got curbstomped. Is Luneth RW stun locking a viable strategy?
It worked for me with a non-CM team with native Luneth BSB and Shout. Don't know if it's viable for a CM team.

Pander posted:

I like lionheart on my healer if I'm not doing draw/lure. AoE attacks usually help charge up my medicas pretty quickly that way, especially if I'm not just spamming curajas or diagas.
I use Knight's Charge on my healer because basically all he or she does is spam cast Curaja so I'm not dependent on AoE to charge meter.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

iPodschun posted:

Inge posted:

I was afraid of this. I'm back on 50+ mythril.

Help me to not pull again on onion I
I'm going to hit 50 mythril tonight or tomorrow morning and will probably pull on Onion 1 again for the Gauntlets. No regrets
I got a dupe Lust Dagger and the Gauntlets. Totally worth it

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
I saw someone in thread say that the multiplayer dungeons have actual rewards now but I didn't realize that meant Mythril. Guess I should get those taken care of!

ETB posted:

Are we still doing the goon code as 4666? That is, if we like each other. :v:
What's the feeling about using Discord or IRC for setting up rooms? I know there's #ffrk on synirc but don't know if it's being used much. Reddit has a Discord server for FFRK but someone could get a goon one up too.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Had a pretty good stage for RM drops today:

Yes I know those are automatic at level 99 and yes I may have spent some eggs+stamina to get their experience to line up this way

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Zurai posted:

Ninja mage is absolutely worth it. There are bosses -- event bosses, nothing gimmicky -- with nearly 10,000 Resistance. Edge can hit them for 20k damage at half cast time (without needing any quick cast shenanigans) with almost no buffing needed. And it's not like the investiture to make that happen for him is any more than what it would be to do the same with any other mage. Less, really, since you don't need massive stacking party buffs.
You posted stuff about Edge in the last thread that I think should be in this thread too so here:

Zurai in the last FFRK thread posted:

Ninja magic soft caps at 370 Magic. Level 99 Edge has 149 to start with. 120 from a random mage thrower puts him at 269, 30 from an accessory yields 299, and 20 from armor yields 319. Fully diving him gives another 11 for 330. A single 30% buff puts him well over the cap from there with 429. BTW, Fujin only gets Ninja damage +6% from her record dive and gets no weakness damage. % damage and % weakness damage also apply multiplicatively, which puts a full dived Edge at +18.45% ninja damage vs weakness. Add to that the fact that you absolutely have to get Edge to 99 if you want to maximize your ninja magic anyway (he has the +40% ninja damage RM) and the facts kind of speak for themselves.

Edge can get 8600x2 double gust/blast damage against neutral enemies. Let me repeat that. Edge can deal 17,200 damage to every enemy in the game which doesn't resist wind or fire, with extremely fast cast speed, and without having to worry about the enemy's defense stats, en-element, or anything other than just casting his ability every turn of the fight. It's even easier against weakness or half-weakness, since you don't need elemental boost gear.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Shock Trooper posted:

8 fuckin casts of Tempo Flurry and Slow never procced.
I've been super unlucky with Tempo Flurry as well; probably up to like 16 tries with no luck. I've started taking Laguna to fights that have Slow as a medal requirement because I have his Desperado SSB which is 100% Slow

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

KnoxZone posted:

Vote for the accessory you have most need of your favorite husbando.

Christmas Husbando has been decided:

https://twitter.com/FFRK_Official/status/809277784082161664

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Zurai posted:

For the record, my ideal mage team:

• Onion Knight@BSB, Mako's Might
  • Cid Raines@BSB, Dr. Mog's Teachings
  • Yuna@BSB2 or Porom@BSB, Lionheart (both have MAG/MND +30% and h55 AOE heal on entry, with an AOE heal command)
  • Mustadio@BSB, Ace Striker (entry reverse wall, instant cast command 1, on the same banner as a few other relics I'm targeting)
  • Open slot. Alphinaud, Rapha, Marach, Fujin, Palom, Shantotto, etc. Basically whatever other good mage BSB I come across.
Thanks for mentioning those healer BSBs; I didn't know there were mage-oriented healer BSBs coming up so now I know what to look for!

What RW would you be using? I'm planning on going with Raines BSB and wasn't sure if that should be the assumed standard for mage teams once it releases.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

ApplesandOranges posted:

Raines BSB RWs will exist but I don't think it'll be as common as you think, coming straight off the heels of XIV and OSBfest. There'll be more than a few posts on the reddit asking people to post their codes, though. It not being a Hastega also means that most fights that aren't 'the RWers kill the boss' means that you're carrying your own.
It's easy enough to find friends for RWs that finding people that put up a good one shouldn't be a problem. I wanted to test RW Jecht BSB a few months after it released and found like 20 people listed on https://friends-ffrk.rhcloud.com/ with it up. Only 1 now, though.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Piebald Hell posted:

I gotta ask - what difficulty is best to farm the orb thing for gold knight encounters? I've seen one group so far in the hard orb one, but that's it.
I don't know if there's a difference in spawn rate but the higher the difficulty, the more chips received so you want to do the highest difficulty that you can handle.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Sega 32X posted:

Pulled Braska's ssb on the 100 gem. I have no idea who Braska is (yuna's dad?) and it looks ok but seems like a worse sheepsong?
It has quick cast which Sheepsong doesn't have. If you have something else for Hastega in your team then Braska's SSB is pretty great.

I also 100 gem pulled Braska's robe. I'll mess around with him in my mage team; his SSB (601: +Mag) and OK's BSB (610: +Atk and Mag) stacking should be fun if/when my RW BSB runs out.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Just saw this from the JP FFRK twitter:

Is this the first time a timer has been used in a battle?

YoshiOfYellow posted:

So I'm rearranging my Mage Team with the recent acquisition of Quistis' BSB and I'm having a bit of a dilemma on how to fill this party.
I'm still running a Support character for Breakdown + Full Break on my mage team but don't know if that's standard. Your teams, other than Dances on Yuffie, and someone else's recommendation a few pages ago skipped over using mitigation on enemies.

I'm currently using Tyro with SG + healer of choice but am thinking about trying Ramza with medica + Y'Shtola since I just pulled her wall.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Charles Bukowski posted:

So if I wanted to make a mage team, how many nukers do I need? I have Fire Lash, Evoker's Doublet and Wizard's Gloves for faithgas. For magic damage though I only have Rydia and Serah's bsb's. I don't think I could run 4 black mages and 1 healer. I could RW wall but I need debuffs, so I can run my own Tyro as a debuffer with SG. Tyro/Arc/X/X/X? Should I run both magic buffers and then Serah? Rydia? Should I only run 1 magic buffer and bring both Serah and Rydia? I suppose I could run Alph and Papy and bring an offensive magic bsb that one of them could use? I've been running a full physical party for a while now, I don't have much of a clue regarding magic.
I do two RW BSB users with good SSBs/BSBs, a Faithga haver, Tyro with Breakdown + Full Break + SG, and healer. That's the general template I saw when mage teams started to make a comeback on JP so I've stuck with it.

Maria has been my RW of choice but I may try out Alphinaud. Once Raines BSB comes out on January 9, that becomes the choice RW BSB: party MAG/DEF buff on entry, Defend command is +MAG -RES, Attack command gives instant cast on next spell like Onion Knight's.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
I like R3 Full Break because sometimes I stop paying attention to the Full Break, Breakdown, Breakdown, Full Break cycle and just start alternating the Breakdown and Full Break.

U-DO Burger posted:

It just feels wrong to be running the dailies again
:yeah:
I am running Alphinaud through dailies to try to get his RM to drop at least

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
New MC3s tonight! I'm up to 6 MC3 lodes so I'm thankful for new characters to level break. Probably Arc for instaheal + blink SSB and Papalymo for enIce SSB, maybe Edge for Ninja magic shenanigans.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Why do people refer to Gilgamesh as Greg?
I assumed it was an autocorrect thing. People trying to shorten it to Gilg and getting Greg instead. I occasionally see "Pencil" for PCecil too.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

And when it says "with a party of 3 FFXIII heroes" does that mean I need at least 3 from XIII + 2 more of whatever, or does it want just 3 party members total?
I assumed 3 total because I think that's how many characters you use in the actual game.

++ was pretty easy with Garnet BSB as RW; I assume Ashe works just as well. +++ I just used Lightning (BSB), Sazh, Vanille

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Huh I got the Kuja BSB from this. The next tyro choice has his en-dark too right? Is that overkill
I also pulled Kuja's BSB. A mage meta post I found on Reddit says "Kuja's BSB gives imperil dark, and if he is doomed, his commands outdamage en-element BSB commands." so the enDark probably isn't necessary.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Mithross posted:

How do RW stats affect a RW BSB? Is it just for the intro attack, or does it also help for the commands?
Just entry, I believe.

On that note and about finding RW friends, https://friends-ffrk.rhcloud.com/ lets you search for RWs and you can sort by the stat that affects the SB.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Elephant Ambush posted:

So I got Papalymo's gloves in the lucky draw. They seem like a poor man's Sheepsong and I can't think of a good reason to ever use them over a RW Sheepsong. Convince me otherwise. If possible.
Quickcast stuff was talked about already but also native Faithga+Haste means you can RW Raines or Wall instead

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Shock Trooper posted:

So I'm just now realizing... since Tenets of the Fayth is a Magic + Mind buff, that means it stacks with other Faithga SB's then?

(shame I don't have any other native Faithgas than Witch's Hat...)
Yes. Mag+Mind is a 623 buff which is also used by Selphie's BSB and one of Serah's SSBs.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/52agoo/mage_meta_ultimate_guide_what_relics_to_look_out/ has a list of the different buffs and what stacks, along with plenty of other info.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Philouza posted:

I see this a lot, what's the logic behind this? I have both Ley Lines and Sheepsong and still continue to use Krile. Major regen is pretty drat handy and I'd have to switch out Aerith w/BSB for someone else to get it. With the introduction of burst healing, does that make heavy regen less valuable than the need to burn something down as fast as possible?
I ran Yuna and then Relm as my main healers for a long time because of their hi-Regen SB/SSBs but between new healer SSBs/BSBs and more damage output from stat boosting and BSBs, I haven't felt like hi-Regen was necessary for a while. When I did U++ Tidus, I didn't even have a chance to use Arc's instant heal+blink SSB because I was doing so much damage from OK BSB + RW Raines BSB.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
U+ CM (thanks Tactics for having Knights) and U++ (thanks Raines BSB for existing) down already. Now for the MP fight...

Johnny Aztec posted:

I've got 100 mythril, and I sorta wanna pull on Banner 2 buuuut, I'm looking ahead towards the next AnnOorbfest.
I think I'll just hold on until then.

unless another 25 mythril pull shows up, I cant resist those
I'm holding off on drawing on Summoner or either Tactics banner! You can do it!

I'm drawing on IV though

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

CaptainPsyko posted:

Knights Charge is never good.
I use it on my healer (Rosa with Wrath+SSB for mage team, Eiko with BSB for melee team) and think it's pretty good. Unless the fight is all-AoE damage all the time, I like it better than Lionheart so that I'm not stuck at normal SB gauge gain for the first part of fights.

Orlandeau is one of my next characters to get to 99 so I'll try his RM3 for quickcast, when I get it

fake edit: dangit Schwartz even gave more info when defending Knight's Charge

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Nihilarian posted:

I understand that FF8 banner 2 is going to be the last mage focused banner in a while, by the way.
XIII banner 2 is scheduled for March 12 and has Raines BSB, Hope BSB2 (stun, AoE dispel, slow, self MAG/RES up), and Serah's MAG+MND mage shout. I'm probably going to go a bit nuts on that one.

Nameless Pete posted:

Bahamut's kind of a pushover.
He was super easy even on solo. No danger at all with my mage team.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Alxprit posted:

Soloing the Bahamut Battle U+ was fun. It's crazy how much damage everyone was doing after the combination of Mug Bloodlust, Ark Blast, and Mist Overload. I dunno if I can do the same thing for Apocalypse, but I'm tempted to try.
It's worth a shot at 1 stamina. I did it solo with Mug Bloodlust, Faris' BSB, and a medica with mblink for my mitigation.

NGDBSS posted:

Is it just me, or is the "Select Nightmare Relic Draw" pretty awful? Everything on it is outdated to some degree or another in a really weird contrast with the more standard Omega Drive banner.
It's awful

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Shock Trooper posted:

https://www.ffrkcentral.com/blog/2017/03/01/upcoming-in-app-announcement-break-level-cap--4

Hahahaha. Eiko's getting MC3 tomorrow but still no Record Dive. Still, at least it's something for all you Hamelin-havers
Grats to us Minfilia SSB and/or BSB havers from the XIV rampage and grats to you Seifer BSB havers from the last event! Now bring on Orbfest so I can get Faris (broken yesterday), Eiko, and Minfilia leveled!

Aurora posted:

fwiw the last fight is supposed to be easier
If someone is happy about beating the Ultimate, he/she probably has a chance at the U++ but likely no chance at Mandragoras

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Cowcaster posted:

what would i use this thread for then
Posting pictures of your draws and/or victories over tough dungeons/fights.

You can also do that on discord but it just gets forgotten after a few lines

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Fister Roboto posted:

Is Meteor XVI pretty much the best mage BSB in terms of pure, personal damage? I know Raines is really good for the party buff, but it's hard to beat that 6 hit combo.
Effortpost on Reddit from the guy who put together that big post on upcoming mage meta relics: https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/5oub38/an_indepth_quantitative_analysis_of_mage_bsbs/

tl;dr instant cast puts Raines on top and makes Alphinaud+OK competitive with Maria, Papalymo, and Edea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Attestant posted:

The 5* upgrade materials sell for a decent chunk of Gil. I'm saving my hoard in case I manage to run out of money somehow.
I was at like 400 of each 5-star material so i sold enough to keep 100 of each and made like 6m gil which was nice!

1st AD posted:

Quistis is good once you record dive her to Black *5, give her some chain-ga spells and go to town.
Who needs other skills when you can Wrath/Lifesiphon to get the character's BSB back up

• Locked thread