Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Genuinely not surprised that it has such an atrocious amount of connectivity issues, same exact crap happened with the Rainbow Six: Siege beta. Was nigh impossible to play with friends as it kept showing us as offline, or we'd join the group and instantly get disconnected, or - the absolute worst - we'd join a game only to be stuck in loading screen limbo as one of us ended up getting dropped without knowing. So we'd all have to hard restart the game.

Other than that, it's really drat good fun. Definitely not worth the asking price, as I see it getting stale very quickly. But I'd definitely pick it up if it was cheaper. It's nice that there are counters to everything, even grab-spamming Vikings (I'm one of those cunts). But the minute you're ganged up on, it's GG. I've not once won a 2v1, the most I can do is come super close but it's always easy to get zerged and smashed to pieces. Dominion is my least favourite mode, as it's so hectic. It always devolves into one guy getting gangbanged by 4 enemies. Enemies have a really annoying tendency of just running away when you get them to low HP and there's gently caress-all you can do about it because we all run at the same speed.

2v2 is my favourite gamemode. Dominating an enemy and then standing by as you watch your ally battle it out to the death. I always salute my enemy if they beat my ally and then we fight it out. It's so cool when opponents honour this as well. But sometimes, a man's just gotta tag team an enemy to secure that win. It's ridiculously funny as well in 2v2 when you manage to grab and throw an enemy off the map within 2 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Lakbay posted:

Playing the beta and holy crap there's a lot of visual noise on screen in dominion, it's worst when heroes almost blend in perfectly with soldiers

If you ain't using your minimap to spot enemies in Dominion, you're doing it wrong. gently caress trying to guess who the gently caress is who in the clusterfuck that is Point B: this neat trick makes gamers hate him! Click here to find out it's the minimap, it shows enemies and allies as bright blue / orange blips so you can single out lone enemies or back up an ally getting clusterfucked

Qubee
May 31, 2013

How the gently caress do you type in all-chat? Pressing T just brings up team-chat. I had this one loving ridiculous opponent in 2v2. It was just me and him, and he refused to close the distance with me. Every time I approached, he'd run off. He was a faster character, so he'd zip in and attack me and it was just stupid. I wanted to message and say "Really, man?". He was abusing his speed the entire game, for all 3 of our rematches. He'd just run off and become uncatchable, even if it was 2v1. He'd eventually kill one of us off by doing this and then kill the other. It's hard to kill him when he just outdodges everything, it's an easy move that he never failed to spam (his dodge would immediately take him out of range of all attacks). Whereas with us, we actively had to parry / block / dodge his attacks (our dodge lengths are so much shorter). It was just bullshit.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Thanks lads, I can't wait to start trash talking people who use blatantly exploitative tactics. Game's no fun when you spend 90% of the time running away from me and only coming in for sneaky attacks to whittle my health down. I either have to stop giving chase and try my luck at blocking all your insanely fast attacks, or I try and get a lucky guard break on you and throw you off a fookin cliff. Had a Berserker that just kept running away from me and my teammate every time, but the minute we engaged with his partner, he'd come in with some sick light attacks and it'd just gently caress our poo poo up. Second he sees us target him and attempt to get within attack range, he zips off again.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Am I doing it wrong? I can never seem to get my combos to go off, or maybe I am setting my combos off but they just suck. If I attack an enemy and they block my first hit, I usually stop attacking as I'll get dodged and attacked myself (changing attack direction never works, people are too quick, even trying to feint with a heavy attack gives them too much time). If my first hit lands, I spam the attack buttons in the way the combo tells me but I don't really feel like it's doing anything differently. Do I need to time my attack presses for it to properly combo?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm trying so hard to fall in love with this game, and I really want to make myself want to buy it at launch, but I just can't shake the feeling that it's far too shallow to truly enjoy. I dunno why, though. I bought Rocket League and I'm in love with that game, even though it's "kick the ball into the opponent's goal ad infinitum", and that's sorta the same premise of this but it has a little more depth. That being said, I find myself getting intensely bored after an hour or two of playing and I don't feel the urge to pick it up again unless I force myself to.

What is it missing that makes me not get hooked?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Evil Canadian posted:

If you don't like it you don't like it :shrug:

Not every game is for everyone. So far I dig it mostly because it scratches the fighting game itch because the combat is much more in depth than I ever gave it credit for.

Aye, you're right. It's such good fun to play when I'm craving a fighter, but then after an hour or so it becomes dull.

iFriend posted:

All the things previously mentioned in this thread.

+ a ladder and competitive matchmaking
+ Tourneys
and stuff (progression)

poo poo, I completely forgot. THIS is what would make me fall in love with it. Right now, matchmaking is so skewed. You're either against people far below your skill level, or people far above it. Rarely do you end up in matches that go either way (which - to me - are the most fun). This'll be a true gem once it's out and has actual ladder and competitive matchmaking. I think that'd really draw me in as I'd slowly progress higher and higher and not get bored / frustrated cause I'm matched against much better / worse people.

Gotta admit this game is hella fun for when I'm tipsy. Can't play Rocket League when I'm in that state, but this game manages just fine.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Do we have a Discord server up for this? I'm interested in teaming up with goons, either to play 2v2 with, or go head to head against in 1v1. My Ubi name is Q8ee: add me, though be warned I'm UK.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Have they changed damage? Hits are doing way more damage than what I'm used to during the beta. A heavy attack from a Warden demolishes so much of my health, but during the beta it wasn't as painful as it is now. I'm also playing my main a lot worse than I did during beta, but I don't know why. He feels a lot more sluggish and less responsive. I'm loving up parries constantly because of it.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

How do I stop the game doing the god drat "Territory Recap" screen every time I come back to the game after a few hours break? It's so annoying having to sit through it as it shows me faction warfare that I really don't give a poo poo about.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT-bE8XLCBE

these loving plays are beautiful. I want to get to this level of good.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

hit tab to all-chat is one of the biggest pile of turds about this game. cycling through chat modes is literally the worst. just give us separate key bindings for gently caress sake, even making it shift+t instead of t+tab would be better.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Promontory posted:

Buyer's remorse here. I feel like I've seen everything the game has to offer already. It doesn't seem like there's that much to learn in combat. I'm not amazing, but it feels like whatever class I play, I get ahead by parrying and getting free hits in.

As for game modes, elimination and domination are either a dull victory lap or a boring curb stomp. Matchmaking always seems to give up and puts me in a game of people with level 40 gear (how have they gotten that much already?). Brawl is okay, when people aren't making the matches drag on by watching 1v1s.

Hopefully there'll be more entertaining modes in the future.

lol "I've seen everything the game has to offer" "It doesn't seem like there's much to learn in combat" this is one of those games that's super easy to pick up and play, but has a huge skill ceiling. You clearly haven't given it a chance. I'm getting to duels now where feinting is the only way to win, as everything else is too easy to parry / block. poo poo feels so drat satisfying.

I hate going against an opponent who is a turd at playing and just stands there frozen scared when you're just rebuffing all their attacks. They don't even adapt and change tactics, they keep using the same rehashed combos and wondering why it doesn't work.

Also, gently caress people who whinge and cry over the fact I enjoy playing Orochi. I've had people call me noobs for picking Orochi, so next round I pick the Raider since he's the direct opposite of Orochi, and I STILL kick their rear end. People gotta come to grips with the fact that things aren't unbalanced, you just suck.

Getting thrown off a ledge? Doesn't phase me. Getting 3v1'd? Doesn't phase me. Having a big manbaby cry about how unbalanced a certain hero is or how game mechanics are broken (guard break, I'm looking at you) makes me super loving salty, since 100% of the time they don't know what they're talking about.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Feb 15, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Zzulu posted:

sometime i just stand on a point as a conqueror with the points ability equipped and pretend the point is my house and that all intruders of the wrong color will be attacked

i win most of those games actually, because we accumulate points so fast when i chill there. The enemy basically has to dislodge me from there if they want to win

I guess what you're trying to say is... You're basically Shrek, and the zone is your swamp???

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Double Monocle posted:

I wanted to make a large effortpost on why lawbringer is actually pretty drat good but then I realized I want people to think he's bad so the poo poo he can actually do continues to shock people.

Pro tip- if you exhaust an enemy with your parry, the follow up unblockable heavy is also unavoidable and does like 50% of an assassins HP.

went against a lawmaker earlier today, he kept employing this tactic. I kept thinking "no way this oval office can keep knocking off parries like it's nothing but a thing" but the mad oval office kept parrying me and hitting me with those devastating unblockables. Since I was parried, I could do absolutely nothing to prevent the incoming pain train. You were right about them taking half health off Assassin characters. Lawmaker is scary, but I learnt the hard way not to be predictable so he can't parry me as easily.

Also, 1v1 is a massacre. I'm on a 9 game winning streak that doesn't seem to stop anytime soon. After being hardened in the fiery furnace of 2v2, 1v1 is pussy zone.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Who wants to 1v1 me as Orochi later today? I'm itching to fight a good opponent. Just fought against two brothers who were 10/10 with their parries and it was such a drat good game, cause we had to rely on feints and mindgames to get through each other's defenses.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Exmond posted:

Yes. If you have no stamina if someone parries you you will be knocked down.

Being exhausted doesn't change the way you can defend though, which I think is the problem.

It's not a problem, though. If they're out of stamina, I don't make my attacks obvious. I'll use heavy attacks to feint them out then hit em with a couple of light ones. It'll give me a couple bars off their health by the time their stamina is back. I think stamina exhaustion the way it is now is perfect. Rolling back or to the side should be removed. I think instead of rolling a big distance, you should only be able to dodge a small distance. It's annoying when someone out of stamina runs off.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

1500 posted:

So TrU3Ta1ent

https://www.twitch.tv/tru3ta1ent

Talks about the mechanics and what he is trying to do while dueling. Worth watching if you want to learn some stuff. Currently he is playing a lot of Lawbringer.

I like watching him right up until he gets a sub and then he does that really weird epileptic spew of words about sub hype or whatever. He really needs to change that, it's unintelligible.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Carmant posted:

Is it just me or do all the good players play 2v2

I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice. Played 1v1 today for the contract and not a single match did I come across decent players. I think people might use it as a training thing? Instead of fighting bots, they fight AI. But even then, if I were to practice a different class, I wouldn't be anywhere near as bad as 90% of 1v1 players. 2v2 is where it's at.

Also, how do I play 4v4 and make sure it's just elimination? I got one round of it today and then the game queued me up into skirmish for the next game and it was so loving boring. 15 mins of just running around it was awful. Is there a way I can remove it from my game queue?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

2 SPOOKY posted:

You can set Elimination as favored before you queue (x on 360controller, iirc), but that doesn't remove skirmish entirely.

It was day 1 and there was a contract for 1v1s, I suspect that has something to do with it. I'm one of the bads who never once did a Duel in open beta (tried every other game mode) who did the contract yesterday.

What do people recommend to gitgud at parrying? A custom game with 99 rounds against a bot, or something?

Dunno, the way I did it was I just played 2v2 and kept forcing myself to attempt parries. I died a lot. I got called a noob a lot. My team mate flamed me a lot. But now who's laughing, I carry the poo poo out of most games with 6 kills to 1 death. Another method would be to find someone chill ingame and ask if they wanna train in 1v1 with you? If I had a friend who played this (3 of them played open beta with me and hated it cause they're impatient fuckers) I would have practiced parrying that way.

The hardest part about parrying is when you come across a class you haven't fought before and the timings on their attacks are weird. But once you've scoped em out, parrying is legitimately ez game.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

What is with this game and the huge attraction it has to big babies? Is it the fact they're just hella mad they dropped money on a game and suck at it? It's sad, because if they just put their frustrations to the side and realised it's just a matter of them not being practiced enough, they'd see the game for the gem it is.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Minorkos posted:

i don't own the game so sadly

wow you have no honor, where's the honor in not owning the game

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Decided to learn the Lawbringer to see if he was bad as his reputation and man. Wow. Yeah this guy is bad. He's supposed to be the king of parries and counter attacks yet all his combos and swings are so slow the only damage that you can get is the free light attack from a parry. His shove and parry attack are combo starters but you're so loving slow you'll never get them off. You can't even get a hit from a shove and his stamina usage is crazy that if you manage to actually do something by the time you can capitalise on it you're jack poo poo out of stamina.

Even his unblockables aren't worth using because even medium skill level people with no stamina can parry them no problem.

Dunno, man. I consider myself a pretty decent Orochi, and Lawmaker is one of the hardest opponents I can face. He has instant parry recovery times, meaning if I parry his attack and go in with a super fast light attack, he's able to block it. Literally nothing works against him if he's on top of his guard break game. All I can do is feint him and hope he falls for my sneaky poo poo.

He's a very tough champion to face. You should keep practicing with him, because I really don't think he's a bad character. Getting parried by him and then slammed to the depths of hell by his unblockable is just insanely powerful.

Ice Fist posted:

Conqueror has a decent spin attack that can catch people off guard since it might look like a regular light attack but it's followed up by a quick 2nd attack.

Does garbage damage tho iirc.

This is a guaranteed Orochi fucker, because we have to constantly mash the block directional to keep safe from it. Our guard stance only lasts a second or so, and the duration of the attack is longer than that, so if you don't continue blocking that direction, you get spinned to winned.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 15, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm getting real fuckin tired of the community in this game. A bunch of whinging, blaming assholes. Environmental kills automatically get you lynched for "WOW NO HONOR", 2v1 on an enemy because they're slowly circling around for 3 minutes instead of manning up and just fighting "wow noob gotta 2v1 gank to win lololol", parrying and cancelling guardbreaks and punishing enemies gets you a "wow <insert class name here> OP, broken mechanics, gg using cheese tactics human being". It's pathetic. The one thing I love is absolutely demolishing these types of people in the hopes I tilt them so bad and the rest of their games go awfully.

I was playing Orochi and was getting 90% of my parries down against a Berserker, and then I'd punish him super hard. He yells at me saying "wow Orochi OP, nice cheese tactics, play another class human being" and it's just like, what??? I'm getting poo poo talked for playing well? 10/10 experience. Game shouldn't have been called For Honor cause all these whingers come crawling out of the woodwork as a result.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Rainuwastaken posted:

Turn off all chat.

Alternatively, learn to kill someone properly instead of throwing them off a cliff :smug:

I don't environmental kill much nowadays. It's annoying as gently caress when I can punish a player by cliffing them but that voice in the back of my head says it's not worth dealing with the salt, so instead I heavy attack em. I just play Orochi really well and mash together really good combos so it's lightning quick. If I get you in a guard break or parry, you're pretty hosed. I can take 4 or 5 bars of off your health.

Ice Fist posted:

If the tears you're getting in all chat for this game aren't literally fueling your desire to play you're interpreting them incorrectly.

Likewise if you're not then immediately emote spamming their corpses and typing 'git gud' in chat for additional rage when this happens to you you're doing it incorrectly.

I was doing that at the start, it was funny for a while. But now I just feel like a soldier that has seen too many atrocities committed and I've got that thousand yard stare feeling. Now when someone gets salty, I don't enjoy it as much, it's just meh cause it happens every match out of two. Ya feel me?

Replace US soldier with a sad Orochi.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 16, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

panda clue posted:

idk why you're even playing this game if you don't start laughing like a madman anytime someone rages at you in chat

It was funny as hell when it was new, but now the rage and salt is getting stale.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Kamikaze Raider posted:

I want to fight you. Orochis give me tons of trouble on my Raider.

Q8ee is my UPlay name. Add me.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Rainuwastaken posted:

Kensei and Nobushi will sometimes be out of parry range, due to the fact that their weapons are six miles long, but yeah.

If you click on their profile you can report them specifically for "offensive symbol".

Wait, there's such a thing as parry range? I had no idea. All this loving time, I've been wondering why it's super difficult to parry against Kensei. Now that I think about it, he is always about a dodges distance back.

Are you 100% sure about that or are you just brosciencing right now?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Yeah! You can't get a guaranteed guard break after parry gainst Nobushi, Lawbringer and sometimes Kensei depending on how far you were from him.

Ew, why throw away cool points on a lame guard break when you can overhead heavy them or Orochi's sexy Riptide Strike? If I wanna grab someone, I'll do it after a feint.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Exmond posted:

Ive played for about 8 hours and haven't encountered any of the supposed salt or rage.

Probably cause you've only played for 8 hours so you're not at a stage where you're super in-tune with your class to the point where you can obliterate enemies. You won't experience salt if you're not completely trashing your opponents.

Also, Minorkos, that bot did a pretty poor job of everything. Granted, you managed to cancel out of guard breaks, so fair enough. A real Orochi player would be much harder cause they don't do that weird AI brain fart stuff where it sorta wobbles around not sure what it's gonna do next. Oh, I just watched that streamer go against the Berserker bot, the Berserker bot is way more intense than the Orochi one was.

And to the guy that said the bot Orochi didn't feint, it feinted a fair few times, and quite well to boot.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 16, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

C-c-c-check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzRq-3oYADQ

This fight looks really tame, but this is a rematch from a previous match where our fights were neck and neck (it was a Conqueror + Lawmaker, the Lawmaker was piss easy to fight, he never teched guard breaks) but ultimately the Conqueror beat my rear end in. He was insanely good at changing attack directions, which kept making me eat flail for the first few rounds as my pride kept making me try to parry them even though as Conqueror you can change attack direction mid-swing with your heavy attack.

So yeah, it got to the point where I was nailing him each round. Felt good. Once I dropped the "must parry everything" mentality, he was quite easy to beat, but still a very tough opponent. This clip doesn't do him justice. Will upload a better (with synced audio) clip tomorrow to show him at his best when he's beating my rear end in.

PS: Please applaud me on my Riptide Strike timings, they're really loving hard to pull off right as Orochi. Most of the time you end up eating the edge of your opponent's sword. So I'm really proud I managed to pull two perfectly timed ones off.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

So rude. I spent 10 minutes putting up that desynced video footage of my mediocre win, but Minorkos gets all the fame and glory for uploading a video of him fighting a limpdick Orochi bot that plays so awfully. I am upset. Deeply and truly. Validate me [screeching]

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Why are you making GBS threads up this thread when you don't even have the game (you're refunding it). Just do everyone a favour and refund it and stop trying to push your own agenda, winning internet fights aren't everything. Also, as an Orochi player, that bot really didn't do us justice, so standing there devoting 100% of your brain power to just blocking is pretty lame. He has no unblockable attacks (you weren't attacking to give him the chance) so it's poo poo-tier propaganda that makes you seem better than you are.

I could put my mentally defunct toddler cousin in my seat and have him just block Orochi bot attacks. I could train a pigeon to peck the joystick the correct direction to block those attacks. Especially when you're playing as a class that has permanent guard up. It was easy game, man. I dunno why you're flaunting it as if you're god's gift to earth and have cat-like reflexes when it was really not that big a deal.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Shugoki is easy game, except for the fact parrying his blows is always so confusing. I always parry too early because I'm not used to attacks coming at me so drat slowly.

Other than that, I just tech out of his guard breaks and try and mix him up with feints, but that's dangerous cause his superarmour can protect him from my attacks, allowing him to get a grab out or charge.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Alkydere posted:

That's my problem with Slammurais. I'm still trying to learn parrying timings, especially important for the Warlord I like, and those fuckers screw me up so hard because they're so slow. I find I do a lot better if I go aggressive but I want to git gud well enough ot have a chance of counter-attacking defensively.

Just find a chill opponent who is at the same level or better than you and keep playing against him until you get it down. I had a fantastic Kensei a couple days back who was brilliant with parries and feints. I learnt more playing against him during those 40 minutes than I ever had in my previous playtime when it came to parries and feints.

You're gonna die, though. A lot. A lot a lot. That's why the opponent has to be chill. If they're spouting toxic poo poo you're just gonna tilt and barely learn anything. The Kensei was super nice cause he gave me pointers and told me what to look out for going against his class. Great guy, terrific guy, he's making For Honor great again.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I get the content is all gonna be free and that's all well and good but holy poo poo $40 for the season pass? Just for week early access to stuff and 25% XP boost for a month lmao

Also the gold edition is $70 at Target so

If it's anything like the Rainbow Six season passes, it's not just "wow lol 1 week early access???", it's 1 week early access and you instantly get all new classes without having to pay steel for them. No point buying the season pass so early, but later down the line when they release new classes, if you like the direction they're taking the game and appreciate the effort they're putting into making new and fun classes, I'd definitely recommend getting it. I know I probably will.

I bought both S1 and S2 passes for Rainbow Six and it was a drat good purchase.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

You paid $140 for Rainbow Six Siege?!

Over the course of a year and a bit, yeah? I've gotten more than my fair share of fun out of that. That's like two AAA titles and I've definitely played R6 a hell of a lot more than any recent AAA title I've played (I'm looking at you, Fallout 4!)

Also, 1500, stop changing your input method. You're gonna trash all the muscle memory you've built if you keep switching. I'd highly recommend staying with controller, it's much easier to play the game. Keyboard seems somewhat clunky compared to it. It's also great because it lets you sit back on the sofa and play it and get really comfortable.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 17, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Double Monocle posted:

Guys I loaded up street fighter vs a max level training dummy.
I just blocked low, and switched up for overheads. Teaching throws 100% of the time. Literally impossible to break my defense.
Is street fighter a broken game, or should I call diago to issue a challenge?

Real talk- gently caress orochi. I've never seen a game in which the best character in the game at high level is also the best at children mashing buttons level too.
Warden is close second but at least his mix-up has escapes other than blind luck.

You can't just mash buttons as Orochi, getting parried fucks you up big time. I've had games against certain players who manage to parry 8/10 of my attacks. It means I can't just go in with a flurry of blows like I do against a lower skilled opponent. I actually need to think about feints. And then when you start feinting, if the enemy knows you're starting to incorporate feints because his parrying is too good, it becomes a game of "Do I commit to this heavy attack cause he'll try to grab me thinking I'm gonna cancel into a feint, or do I feint and change attack direction, or feint and grab?" It's like an intense game of rock paper scissors with so many outcomes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

NeurosisHead posted:

I really like that GIF of two wardens top feinting at each other like 3 times until one finally attacks and the other lands the warden special top parry light attack thing in response.

It's super refreshing when you come against a guy that you are forced to feint against cause his parry game is too strong. Brings a whole new level of play to the game and it's so much more satisfying, even when you lose. Cause you know 100% that the guy drat well deserved the win.