Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I like Oubre Junya but I think he's still a year or two away from his aggressive play actually being helpful to the team. I expected the Wizards to be one of the top 4 teams in the East last year and I know they dealt with some injuries, but my reluctant conclusion is that they're just not as good as I thought. Wall/Beal/Porter/Morris/Gortat seems good but I guess it's not really. Luckily my brother's Sixers superfandom rubbed off on me and I spurned the Wizards for them a couple years ago. Yes, the Sixers suck too but the process is so seductive...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

OKC stole their name and history

Actually I don't know if that's true, I think it is... http://seattle.sbnation.com/2012/2/20/2811279/nba-in-seattle-supersonics-team-name

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 25, 2016

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

chunkles posted:

It's definitely a lot of money and a gamble. I seem to remember him agitating a lot for a starting spot so possibly this is a compromise
Well he got a starting spot, because they traded Teague to Indiana. They gave him the job and now they're paying him.

Zach Lowe wrote some good stuff about him in his 6 players to watch this season article.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

tanglewood1420 posted:

Philly is definitely going to get something of value for Noel in February, unless his surgery rehab goes seriously wrong and he isn't healthy.

Okafor would have teams interested in him for sure but unless someone offers a high lottery pick there's really no point in Philly moving him yet, he could still be really good.

If Philly took Porzingis instead of Okafor in 2015 draft then Hinke probably still has his job.
No, because he didn't get pushed out because the pieces didn't fit. He got pushed out because parts of ownership got shook and the league applied pressure. Porzingis would've been a really really good fit to have, but from what I've heard ownership actually was against picking him although Hinkie was interested.

I got my bro a shirt that had a bust of Hinkie on it and said "2013-2016" on it and he got to wear it to the game for Embiid's debut where everyone high fived and celebrated over Embiid, Simmons, the Process, and Sam Hinkie.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Strawberry Panda posted:

Zingis avoided the 76ers like LeBron's avoiding Khloe Kardashian.
He only did one on-court workout for NBA teams before the draft but Hinkie went several times to Spain to see him, and I heard the Sixers had seen more of King Zing than any other franchise
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20150613_Sixers__taking_a_closer_look_at_European_star.html
http://www.phillyvoice.com/reports-sixers-ownership-pressured-sam-hinkie-take-jahlil-okafor-over-kristaps-porzingis/

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Space Camp fuckup posted:

Is there a source for this or is it just more Hinkie fan fiction?
Check the second link in my prev post. It's been reported, and we know Hinkie went to Spain a bunch, but who can say for sure.

morestuff posted:

Ainge building a 48-win team out of one mediocre top-10 pick and a bunch of spare tires is pretty crazy still
Stevens you m ean, not Ainge

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

He mentions it offhand in the same write-up where he talks about finding videos of regular white people on youtube.
http://www.si.com/nba/2016/10/26/joel-embiid-philadelphia-76ers-the-process

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Some good content for people hungry for more Embiid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFQO-yPHl70&t=1350s

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

MourningView posted:

E: I put up with like two decades of people making fun of John Stockton's shorts, y'all don't get to suddenly pretend that you think they're cool now
But they are cool now. but they're only cool now and they weren't cool back when Stockton wore them. Sorry but that's how it is, because back then people wore them short solely because the Fab Five hadn't invented big shorts yet. Now that big shorts have been invented and mainstreamed, to wear the short shorts is to actively reject the big shorts in favor of confidently showing off your big muscular thighs, which is cool

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Zogo posted:

Great time to be a Bulls fan. 3-0 Bulls with an SRS of 20 way ahead of the entire league. Jimmy Butler has an ORtg of 150.

Shipping Rose/Noah to NYC and importing Wade was a good idea.
They're going to lose tonight but they'll still be undefeated when they have at least four alphas dressed to play (no McBuckets or MCW tonight)

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Amir Johnson went 4-4 from deep today and had an all around great game. :stare:
Brook Lopez chucked up 8 three point attempts and made 4 of them.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Considering that Mudiay's jumper is about as good as Deandre Jordan's, why does he shoot so loving much?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Lockback posted:

A few rookie bad decisions, a couple good shots that didn't fall. He was working harder to get other guys involved (which is good). I also think he and Wiggins maybe overlap a bit, they both seem to want to work going downhill or cutting weakside baseline to the basket. Dunn looked pretty good though he was captaining some really sloppy play for a while.

I think most of the reason he sat late was minutes and Tyus was doing a reasonably good job and was leading the comeback throughout the 4th.

THIBS MINUTES UPDATE: He's got KAT playing over 35mpg. Wiggins and LaVine playing those minutes is fine, but I hope Thibs doesn't keep riding his 7 footers like this.
Why are people so squeamish about minutes? He played 32mpg last season as a rookie, he should be able to handle 36mpg as a young 21-year-olkd. I understand resting guys, limiting minutes in certain situations in the hopes of keeping them fresh, but it wasn't that long ago that Minnesota had Garnett playing 39-40mpg. It just seems like in the last 10 years the thinking has changed a little too dramatically if a young guy playing 36 is now causing stress.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 4, 2016

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

tanglewood1420 posted:

VVV The new contract for Dieng means the TWolves won't have room for a max player either unless they can trade both Rubio and Pekovic.
How is Pekovic not in medical retirement by now?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

EvanTH posted:

THEY HYPE VIDEOS WERE ALL TRUE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDZaJFd4aSk
(except for calling him "best 14 year old in the world" or the part where they omit that he's an 8th grader for the second time but that's only a technicality)
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/makerth01.html

Currently averaging 72 points and 12 rebounds per 36. 93.5 PER. 100% 3p shooting for a perfect 1.50 TS, it's THON MAKER. His ortng of 300 is offset by his miserable -13.5 DBPM but we expect rookies need some time to learn NBA defense.

Also Giannis is an all-star this season, which is a great look for this thread who've been Team Smothie since the draft, we're all Marlo "big paws on a puppy" except for MV who resents the Greek Kevin Durant's Horatio Algeresque success to this very day and grips his fist in anteaterish suppressed rage whenever the name comes up
72 points per 36 is pretty good, but Thon Maker's got nothing on Jake Lay Man. And he's got a bigger sample too - 8 minutes!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Criminal Minded posted:

Joel Embiid is the GOAT
I feel like Hakeem Olajuwon is a good comp for Embiid.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Libertine posted:

Probably start over.
Yeah I posted this before but basically my thinking is that if Wall and Beal were the core and the future that they're supposed to be, the team would actually have been good last year.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Joel Embiid is an accelerationist

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Paul Zuvella posted:

Joel Embiid is the most self aware human being on the planet and I love it
I feel like he's starting this business solely from some combination of either a) it's funny or b) so he can get good pre-made Shirley Temples in his fridge

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Didn't he used to be a plus defender? That swing in DefRtg is absurd

Paul Zuvella posted:

Russel Westrbrook leads the league in usage by 6%.
Which is to say, Russ owns.
He's at 40.8 and Joel Embiid is at 38.6

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Pro click from reddit - father and son NBA duos

https://imgur.com/a/qLAIC
That's a large son

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Paul Zuvella posted:

Players don't get to decide they are above the restricted free agency process.
But the Rockets probably don't even want him and wouldn't even use him. They already traded him once. I don't know, but I don't think it's completely black and white. At some point when things obviously aren't going to work out you'd think they could just let him walk. I mean, all they got by matching is the possibility to have a player with a broken back for $31m with a few options to cut him. And it's not like he really has trade value either.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Beal is only 23 but looks to be awful on defense and has a forever stress fractured leg.
Porter is 23 and might actually be good.

Wall is 26 and pretty good I guess but just not superstar quality.

Markieff Morris sucks and Marcin Gortat is about replacement level I guess, and the bench isn't that good.

I guess blow it up but do you keep anyone besides Porter if you're the Wizards? Trade Beal and Wall? Beal is still so young and Wall is good... but if this core was strong they wouldn't suck so bad

Fast Luck posted:

But the Rockets probably don't even want him and wouldn't even use him. They already traded him once. I don't know, but I don't think it's completely black and white. At some point when things obviously aren't going to work out you'd think they could just let him walk. I mean, all they got by matching is the possibility to have a player with a broken back for $31m with a few options to cut him. And it's not like he really has trade value either.
This might be wrong since it's assuming the Rockets don't actually care about playing him sorry

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

MourningView posted:

Don't draft upperclassmen
Not a hard and fast rule though (Kemba Walker, Damian Lillard, Draymond Green... Steph Curry? yeah Steph Curry)

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Here's an incomplete listing from 2010-2014ish on that I attempted to make just now to test this hypothesis

Good upperclassmen
Larry Sanders, VCU (Jr.)
Kemba Walker, Connecticut (Jr.)
Klay Thompson, Washington State (Jr.)
Nikola Vučević, USC (Jr.)
Reggie Jackson, Boston College (Jr.)
Jimmy Butler, Marquette (Sr.)
Chandler Parsons, Florida (Sr.)
Isaiah Thomas, Washington (Jr.)
Damian Lillard, Weber St. (Jr.)
Festus Ezeli, Vanderbilt (Sr.)
Jae Crowder, Marquette (Sr.)
Draymond Green, Michigan St. (Sr.)
Khris Middleton, Texas A&M (Jr.)
CJ McCollum, Lehigh (Sr.)

Don't look at these
Evan Turner, Ohio State (Jr.)
Wesley Johnson, Syracuse (Jr.)
Jimmer Fredette, BYU (Sr.)
Thomas Robinson, Kansas (Jr.)
Miles Plumlee, Duke (Sr.)
Mason Plumlee, Duke (Sr.)

Also
Victor Oladipo, Indiana (Jr.)

Rick posted:

It seems the smaller the school the safer it is to go upperclassmen.
Yeah I also notuiced that, a lot of the good upper classmen came from smaller schools or less prominent basketball programs. Probably late bloomers that needed some extra time to get the scouts turned on.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The reason I wasn't sure what to do with him is that he was picked #2 overall which seems too high. But looking at it now 2013 was the Giannis, Gobert, and trash draft so I guess it's ok. Also the Plumlees werent' bad picks necessarily but remain Plumlees.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Lockback posted:

Lebron got roasted here and elsewhere when he said those kinds of things his first couple years with the heat too. Of course Durant is going to go through it too.

If he gets a ring a bunch of it will stop.
My hating will only become more passionate should Durant win a ring, with the team that beat him

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

straight up brolic posted:

Myles Turner is better than Karl Anthony Towns.
Here's my ranking of great young players to build a team around

1. Giannis Antetokounmpo
2. Joel Embiid
3. Anthony Davis
4. K. Anthony Towns
5. D'Angelo Russell

You can disagree if you want but I've already typed it and posted it

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I disagree with it too because I forgot to put Porzingis on it. Between him and Myles Turner and Ben Simmons there's a lot of big boys heading for stardom.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Dec 13, 2016

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

MourningView posted:

Rudy Gobert can't even make the honorable mention, loving east coast bias smh
He's at least a year or two older than those other guys and also doesn't bring the same offensive potential to the table. that said when you look at the Jazz this season and Favors is hurt and George Hill keeps being out and Hayward has missed time but the Jazz are 15-10 and Gobert is the best defensive center in the game I do think he at least deserves membership in the next generation big guy resurgence club.
edit: Oh yeah and Rodney Hood isn't as important but he's hurt too

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 13, 2016

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I disagree

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Jack's Flow posted:

Other stuff posted on the Ringer today (besides Simmons spilling a Diet Coke all over his keyboard): Kevin O'Connor on the top 5 rookies at this point of the season:

https://theringer.com/the-top-five-nba-rookies-ranked-by-their-best-skill-2aa4e84e10a1
Holy poo poo all those Embiid stats :swoon:

and he's #2 behind Malcolm Brogdon lol

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Sucks for them to loser a shooter and ball handler. But Sergio is holding down the fort and my understanding is that Simmons will be playing the 1 and guarding 1s when he returns (debuts?) in a month or so!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Updating a previous item, in a story that nearly slipped past me, it appears the brontosaurus is back, baby, even for many of the piss pedants who killed it

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Can we consider this a mea culpa?

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 17, 2016

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

https://streamable.com/9fw5o

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Actually the Wizards are good now.

quote:

HAVE WIZARDS 'FIGURED IT OUT'? BRADLEY BEAL SAYS YES

"We just figured it out," said Beal. "To me it has just been on the defensive end. We've been taking care of guarding guys, and pressuring guys when we need to and getting stops. It's just making it easier for offense. We've always believed in our offense. We score over 100 points a game. We trust our system but when we get stops and defend we're a really good team."

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Jack's Flow posted:

Has this been posted? Pistons had a players-only meeting, and I guess the point was to call out Reggie Jackson?

http://pistonpowered.com/2016/12/18/detroit-pistons-reach-boiling-point/
Ish Smith spoiled them and now they c an't go back to Reggie's ways

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Unicorn Chuck Hayes

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

SVG said there was no way the same 5 guys were going to start again tonight but then they did. However, Ish Smith did check in for Reggie within the first 3 minutes. Not watching so I don't know if Reggie was playing hosed up or if it was planned that way by Stan

• Locked thread