Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Well I'm still alive. Thanks to some of you for the kind words

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

How many of the toxxes were permas?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Condiv posted:

i can't believe clinton lost to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPRfP_TEQ-g

too bad she bit off more than she could chew

Reminder that he ended up stiffing those dancing girls on the payment he promised.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

eviltastic posted:

If I or someone in my family were a Muslim, I think today's news would be what would have clinched a decision to scramble to figure out somewhere else in the world to go, at least for a few years.

What was today's news that's so especially bad?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Everyone please keep arguing about voter turnout while largely ignoring that this is the first post-VRA election and there have been incredibly deliberate voter suppression across the county, especially in states like Wisconsin, Ohio, Florida, and North Carolina.

It doesn't matter how awesome you think your message is going to be in 2020 (or 2018) if millions of your voters don't show up because they literally can't overcome the hurdles the GOP throw in front of them over the next several years. Strict nationwide voter ID requirements will gently caress over millions of people, especially when combined with targeted DMV closures and other poo poo we've been seeing.

I don't think this can be blamed as the main cause for the decreased turnout. It's just that combining it with candidate who didn't enthuse people enough to jump through hoops to get to vote made a large impact. If you can get 2008 Obama no amount of voter suppression is going to deny him a win.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

And how many of those 300,000 intended to vote let alone actually tried? Not nearly as many as people who just stayed home for no real reason.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I believe that Trump truly doesn't give a poo poo about gay marriage and won't do anything to hurt it. But he also won't do anything to protect it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Excellent

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Night10194 posted:

They should be PUBLICALLY apoplectic.

I mean he's a loving neo-nazi.

Hey, baby steps.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Prester Jane posted:

Oh you sweet summer child. Donald Trump will inevitably turn on every single minority community, the only question is when he will get around to targeting the LGBT community. Whenever world events are not playing out according to Trump's desires he will look for a group to scapegoat and will publicly lash out at them while Pence et all quietly construct legislation in the background to take advantage of the moment and push their agenda. And each time they attack a given community they will do so in a more extreme manner than the last time and they will take away more rights every time they get riled up.

Take Gay Marriage for example. They will start out by promising to protect religious liberties and free speech, and will pass odious laws that will legalize public harassment of LGBT individuals, but not outright ban gay marriage. Once they do that they will turn their attention on some other community and take some rights from them. When they next attack gay marriage it will be with a bill to return the question of gay marriage back to the states, at which point states will pass a hodge-podge of laws resulting in gay marriage being protected in some places, quietly ignored in a few, and outright illegal in quite a few.

Then the next time they will pass a federal bill banning gay marriage, and several of the worst states will up the ante by experimenting with anti-sodomy laws, which the Conservative Supreme Court and DOJ will be perfectly okay with. Then there will be discussion of federal level anti-sodomy laws, you know to protect the children from the very worst predators, not every single gay person because we all know the difference between a good njew gay person and a dangerous one.

The next time after that it will be legislation that recognizes the reality of the new research that has proven that all LGBT people are dangerous and need to be sequestered from society for the good of us all.

They will do this with every minority group and every cause (e.g. reproductive rights) whenever the opportunity presents itself. There is no logical endpoint, no built in stops where their irrationality becomes to great, no point at which either a conscience or cognitive dissonance will interrupt them. They have only one solution to every single problem, find someone and publicly hurt them. Doesn't matter whether their current target is even remotely guilty of what they are upset about or not, all they want is a target to be forced to bleed and whimper for mercy in public. This will be the entire game plan for the entire Trump/Pence presidency. Who they come after first is really a matter of pure chance, whatever minority group is being talked about on Breitbart the most is probably the next to feel the ax.

Any analysis of what is coming must take into account this basic fact of the worldview that dominates the GOP now. The solution to every problem is to find a minority group and publicly hurt them, the more vicious and the higher the body count the better. Whenever reality intrudes on the fantasy bubble that the Trump administration exists in they will always always always always respond by lashing out at someone weaker than them, and there will be steady and unstoppable escalation.

Yeah that's not going to happen. It's gonna be rough but this is pure strain nuts, kind of along the lines of some of the rights fears about Obama coming to take their guns and white women.

Don't forget that Gay Marriage passed with a still alive Scalia on the bench.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 14, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

zegermans posted:

This is good, the more Obama can dominate him with charisma the better his decisions might get

This is unironiclly a real thing to hope for lol

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Things will not be irreparably awful. We'll be ok, it's just going to be longer term process than we had hoped. I know how easy it is to be really down right now because I'm there too, but progress is not always smoothly linear. Well have a dip but we'll come out of It.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 14, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Glazier posted:

Depressingly I must agree, I've resigned myself to the fact that I won't survive the next four years. I just hope they make it quick so we don't suffer.

Nah, it's over for minorities in America. If I had the courage I would just kill myself now, but I'm a wuss.

If you're serious seek therapy. Like, tomorrow. I have resources that you can use if you need them.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Glazier posted:

Can the autists take the train chat somewhere else, some of us are trying to plan out what to do in our last few years, thanks.

Ok good you're not actually serious because I was just about to waste time sending you a PM with resources to help you.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

If Trump spends the majority of his effort as President just trying to boost his brand by using government resources and skimming from the top of whatever resources he can Ill take it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Investment in Infrastructure leads to Economic Growth.

Ironically that's one of the very few things that Trump probably understands.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Jesus Christ people. You aren't going to die unless you plan on literally killing yourselves, in which case GET HELP PLEASE.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So who is this dude that a ton of big name Dems are backing to lead the DNC? I've never heard of him before but considering some of the most hyper cynical Goons here seem glad about it he must be a good thing.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Ted Cruz would be worse.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

spotlessd posted:

The forces of tolerance and freedom and acceptance delivered full-throated pronunciations of loyalty to a lying neoliberal warmonger and lorded their enlightened liberal values over every coal miner and Walmart employee in the country. I am incredibly suspicious of their ability to intervene positively in anything like a resistance or opposition movement. In fact, what I predict is one long parade of Bad Guys Who Have to Go at the level of foreign policy and enthusiastic nods from the sea of dipshits who need only hear "spotty gay rights record" before they'll climb on board with whatever vicious imperialist intervention is on the menu next year.

What the gently caress is this?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

If Trump plays the role of a really awful Blue Dog I say we got off lucky as gently caress.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Lote posted:

It's gonna be Obama. Both Michelle and Barack.

They are much too popular, especially Michelle. They don't have any baggage. And Obama's approval is only going to continue to go up after we see Trump take office.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

It seems to me that the DNC is taking all of the right steps so far toward getting their poo poo together. The fact that Hillary remains underground speaks volumes IMO.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Who is this and how bad is it compared to a Rudy Gulianni AG?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Yes, if we get another once in a lifetime president and also Trump doesn't cheat, we might have a chance!

We will not need a once in a lifetime candidate to defeat Trump. He is going to enter office with the lowest approval ratings of any incoming President and its all down hill from there.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Covok posted:

6 days in and they're already turning on him. Or so I hope to keep my sanity.

If we're lucky, he'll only be in office 8 years and not indefinitely when he removes term limits and Peter Thiel jacks his mind off into the matrix and he controls us forever as God Computer Trump.

Take a deep breath and step away from the Internet for a while. Just assuming he's going to be an 8 year President and then potential dictator for life because your going all nihilistic is stupid as hell.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

HorseRenoir posted:

The Dems are so poison that they ran one of the most unpopular candidates ever and only lost by razor thin margins in three states and won the popular vote.

Trump isn't Reagan, and it's really not that insurmountable to defeat him. Most the Dems' troubles are self inflicted and they can turn things around if they get their poo poo together.

Jesus Christ, thank you.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

KomradeX posted:

Are people really dumb enough that they don't realize the danger isn't a whole new constitution, but Republicans passing an amendment solidifying the shittiest of their social/ economic views for pretty much all time?

This thread still can't even agree over how many states they still need to get control of (1,3,5?) so I'm not too concerned.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

treu posted:

I went Obama-Obama-Trump, Michigan.

Well done genius.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

This thread is more fractured and chaotic than the actual DNC is. Thank god people in actual positions of power and influence re less retarded.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I'm taking literally every name being floated for literally every position with a HUGE grain of salt since there's no chance that they even know themselves.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Wait what?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So how long until the establishment GOP demands that Bannon get shitcanned? Probably as a prerequisite for any type of cooperation.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Is there another Presidetial election in history where not a single side was happy about the outcome? The Dems are shocked, the GOP is beside itself with chaotic infighting, and the President-elect himself doesn't want the job.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I posted this question in the other thread.

Will someone please explain to me how this new Muslim Database is in any way different from what we had under Bush and early Obama? Like, it seems effectivly the exact same thing in its motives and methods. It's hosed up and wrong but hardly the step toward the Final Solution. It's sad that I have to reassure myself with the belief that it won't be worse than Bush 2 but that's what I'm doing.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

Registration actually is a step toward the final solution. Like, how, based on history, is registration of a religious group not a step toward the final solution?

Ok I'll give you that. But according to the article "Created in 2002 following the 9/11 attacks, the National Security Entry-Exit Registration System (NSEER) required Muslims from countries where extremist organisations were active to provide information about themselves, undergo interviews with officials and periodically notify the government of their whereabouts."

So we already had a database of Muslims from Muslim countries from 2002 to 2011. Which was hosed up and reprehensible but it means that this isn't some unprecedented leap for us.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Specifically, a registry for immigrants from Muslim countries.

Which is still garbage. The Department of Homeland Security also rejected it once already as, more or less, redundant.

Yeah. It's hosed up and reprehensible but it's little different from the program under Bush and unless I'm missing something in that article it's only talking about Muslim immigrants and visitors and not actual Muslims citizens. Yes slippery slope I know. ITS BAD. But things like this have been defeated in the infant stages before.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Is there anyone on that list that isn't completely reprehensible?

Which position is this for?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So Bernie is making a speech to the American People tonight. Considering he just got appointed the head of the DNCs outreach I think we might get some good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So at this point whose name hasn't been floated for either SoS or AG?

• Locked thread