Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I think I'm going to take a break from politics. It's not good for me to see ideals and hopes being dashed by the hatred and ignorance of the public. We're entering dark times and it's best that I focus on something else for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Glazier posted:

Trump was not the candidate of any particular class, age or religion of white people. Trump was the candidate of white people who saw the world changing around them and voted for someone who promised to make it stop.

This so very much. It's not going to change for the better any time soon if the GOP gets half as entrenched as we expect. It's going to get so, so very much worse. I'm talking Bush-era, but with much more open hatred of all Others at best.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Also there's the bit of me that's like "huh, Trump really did have the biggest and hugest support and totally crushed it by being the best despite all the poo poo saying he couldn't possibly win, so maybe I'm just loving insane and the world actually works that way and all the other ways he says."

He's not. What he does have, however, is decades worth of smear campaigns,media training a base to love men like him while ignoring reality, normal media too gutless to drop its "balance" for truth, government agencies dedicated to killing his competitor's campaign at all costs with bullshit "investigations," Russian propaganda doing everything they can to get a sympathetic idiot in charge, and good old fashioned racist/sexism of butthurt whites smarting from a colored person daring to assume he could do his job without their say so to keep carry him to victory.

It was a perfect storm of bullshit to make the worst candidate take the helm.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

I never once saw a single person saying that because she was a woman but more specifically because of what Donald Trump represents.

Clinton's main strategy was trying to point out how much Trump is human scum and that his victory would empower the absolute worst of America. Unfortunately, it turns out that the worst of America has quite a bit more sway that we ever thought.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

So judging from the usual total incompetence and arrogance, what is the likelihood that anyone Republicans remaining would grow a pair and impeach the orange bastard before he totally destroyed the nation?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

ErIog posted:

You saw the primary and campaign. Also, the executive branch is a motherfucker. The only real check on it is court proceedings that lag behavior by years. Look at what happened when it turned out American surveillance proponent Diane Feinstein was being surveilled herself.

Nothing happened. Nobody cared. Trump will never be impeached. At most he will be stonewalled by congress while stomping the gently caress out of every civil liberty.

At the end of it, conservatives will reassure the public that they never considered him a true conservative. 60% of the country will respect them for having the courage to say that.

So the only hope is waiting for the conservative base to die of old age before voter suppression gets even worse?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Harrow posted:

Aw Christ, there's no way the Dems are going to be able to hold filibusters, is there? :smith:

Democrats never seem to manage anywhere near the fervor to do something helpful that Republicans do something monstrous, so likely no.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Fojar38 posted:

This would be a genuine relief to loving everyone.

It is astonishing how effectively Trump lowers our expectations.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

NewForumSoftware posted:

Compromising with him on political goals isn't supporting him no matter how bad you want to make it seem that way.

Until you've got a better option that enacts more progressive policy don't waste your time with moral outrage.

The Republicans have been very clear on the idea that "compromise" is the most dirty word in politics.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I think at this point we can agree that Trump was a victory for just about every horrible, regressive, manipulative bastard out there and the next few years are going to be absolutely miserable as every horrible idea Obama fought tooth and nail to barely keep down is let out, celebrated, and then treated with utter shock when it all comes crashing down a year or so later with our golden idiot child king raging all the while.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I'd rather have an Idiot King for President than Trump

We have the worst of both worlds with Trump: evil and stupid. It's just too bad that's what so many seem to desire these days.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Jeff Sessions, Michael Flynn, and Stephen Bannon? :gonk: The US government is officially white nationalist.

Waiting to see just how far the media will go to normalize this is making me feel physically ill. All Trump voters and apologists can officially eat me. I am beyond any kind of kindness for those that made this abomination possible and I dearly hope that they face the full ramifications from this as their dream of more factory jobs withers and dies.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Covok posted:

What a surprise: the non-racist, non-regressive, pro-gay party were the only thing keeping us from ruin.

To be fair, the Democrats have plenty of that. They just have some attachment to reality outside of the growing right wing monster. That's pretty soon to change if the media remains toothless enough to allow Drudge, Infowars, and Brietbart full justification like they have their miserable mascot this past year.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I look forward to seeing more global bastards gain full moral and logical authority to call us out on what the "will of the people" demanded.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

BarbarianElephant posted:

I'd like to know whether the reason that Trump is recruiting so many wacky Nazis is because he *is* a Nazi like so many fear, or just because the mainstream Republicans are mysteriously "on vacation" for 4 years. I fear the former.

I expect it's less that he's as big of a true believer in the cause of white supremacy than the fact that he knows who will gladly bow down to him, which is the most important quality of a lackey in his mind. We have elected a man who is every bit as stupid as he is evil, so it's somehow even worse than just letting Bannon have the presidency.

Dear God, it just gets worse and worse.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Fojar38 posted:

Not to mention Bannon is already an albatross on Trump's administration and that will continue.

What could he possibly say that Trump himself hasn't? Trump is built on being a racist rear end in a top hat, so why bother hiding it. It's what has always carried him.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

Republican governors rejected infrastructure plans even when they were paid for by federal spending, Congressional Republicans fought all sorts of consumer protections and economic revitalization plans to the death, and even the few things that did make it through were fought by Republicans to such an extent that they were hobbled for much of his term.

Censoring it is an Orthodox thing, it's considered disrespectful by observant Jews to use His name in vain.

It's amazing how quickly people forgot how hard the Republicans nationwide worked to hobble anything Obama did to keep their voters nice and angry at the uppity black man and his elites daring to assume they had the right to do their jobs. It's what helped get their voters into Trumpstaffel mindset.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

fits my needs posted:

I like how the media is calling The new cabinets racism and Islamophobia as being "unapologetic on their views on terrorism" and "colorful past." Lol I and other minorities are so hosed.

The media has never, ever had the balls to call out actual racism because they know that their viewers are profoundly indifferent to the suffering of someone darker than balsa wood while being hypersensitive to the grave crime of daring to not say something nice about white people in general. They also love to act all worried when minorities make any kind of noise for that sweet, sweet white worry money. Nothing short of Trump dropping all pretense and walking around in a KKK hood would be enough to make them reconsider since he's been their biggest draw for over a year.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

blamegame posted:

I mean hell I think the dems should go way more economic populist too, I think that's a great central message and it doesn't have to be racist. But like, if you're looking at the 2016 election, the entire history: how Trump rose from the guy who said the black prez was a fake American to being the guy who won the South Carolina primary largely thanks to people who thought the confederacy should have won, to being the guy endorsed by David Duke and the senator named after Jefferson Davis and P. G. T. Beauregard and you're thinking 'Yeah this isn't about race' you're a loving idiot.

The next few years will be a testiment to just how deep the denial of racism goes in this country as Ttump and his monsters do their damnedest to turn back the clock to the 1950s.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I loving hate all the right-wing concern trolling and pseudo-skepticism invading the Internet right now. It's rotting my brain. These people have so much confirmation bias I don't even know where to begin forming a sentence to them. Even some of my friends are starting to act sympathetic to it.

I hear that poo poo in real life and barely prevent myself from going off on them. Apparently, minorities not quietly sitting by as they slit our throats is this one story they'd heard is far more offensive than the thousands of hate crimes in the wake of Trump.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Lemming posted:

It blows my mind since he's such an obvious con man. I figure it has to be like those Nigerian scammers that intentionally make it really obvious they're a scam so they only grab the most gullible people so they don't waste time with anyone who has a chance of coming to their senses

He's not a particularly good conman, but he really doesn't have to be. He knows to target the Republican base who has been trained to worship wealthy bullies, desire validation for their fears and hatred, and to reject any dissenting voices. Combined with the various fake scandals, aid from Putin, the traitorous levels of GOP obstruction, and the miserable state of education in rural areas and you get the perfect marks for a crappy orange troll to coast to dominance.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Inferior Third Season posted:

For foreign diplomats, Trump hotel is place to be
:barf:

Trump is already being read like a book by foreign governments. We're going to get massively hosed as a country on any big league bigly "deals" Trump makes.

I expect the levels of blatant corruption to rise to utterly hilarious/horrifing within the first month and that the media will continue to bravely skate over it again. Once more, all Drumf supporters can eat me.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

The thin skin continues.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

PT6A posted:

How do conservatives square the circle of wanting traditional values and masculinity and all this poo poo, and then acting like you have the emotional fragility of a loving three-year-old?

Apparently the feelings of the average white guy in America are roughly as fragile as a Faberge egg.

I don't even know how that statement could've been made more respectful, and yet tons of people appear to be freaking out over it and this is somehow building support for Tweedle-Dee and Tweedle-Dum, gently caress my life I just don't understand anything anymore.

Easy. They choose from believe whatever helps soothe their egos the most and ignore anything that they don't want to hear.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

N. Senada posted:

I don't think his supporters will respond with disappointment. Maybe a few, but the most will see him as standing up to these liberal, PC thugs. He's strong when he gets people to capitulate to him, he's strong when he points out how protestors are paid for actors, he's strong when he says Hamilton should apologize for their egregious comment to the president-elect.

The common sense sort of voter who supported Obama and now Trump are not going to hear about these twitter outbursts or care about them. His hardcore supporters will support him no matter what. The exception, I think, would be when he says another country's going to do one thing and then they proceed to undermine him entirely. He's already been played a fool by Ford (or fooled himself), but nobody will care about that.

His supporters are all about persecution complexes so they see Trump as a mighty leader being attacked by those evil leftists since that's what they believe themselves to be. So anyone questioning their master just makes them support him even harder and keep on hoping that he'll magically fix all their problems by being the strongman they demanded. They don't understand anything outside their backyards and right wing media is not about to help them there, so they see what Trump is doing as not simply normal, but a heroic denial of the society they think abandoned them. Everybody hating him and/or them only proves that they are doing the right thing in their minds.

Bottom line is, we're looking at a self-destructive group that not only does not consider America eating itself to be a bad thing, but actually demands it out of spite and delusion.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Caros posted:

Hey cool, its our once annual 'John McCain proves he isn't entirely a piece of poo poo' moment.

So we have to hope that other Republicans have this bare minimum level of morality and spine to prevent full dictatorship now?

I really want to move to Canada now.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Rexicon1 posted:

It's really disheartening that every single protection we have in this country, barring a constitutional amendment (like the SC even gives a poo poo about the constitution anymore lol), is on the precipice of collapse at the whim of a Spray Tan Elemental.

This really is the biggest, most desperate push for the angriest of conservatives, white "Christian" supremacists to dismantle every single bit of progress from 60 years ago onwards before old age takes the bulk of them being dominated by the embodiment of greed and narcissism. I guarantee that the first moves Trump will take are to toss us into a brand new war so that he can use that to silence the few remaining meaningful dissenting voices. If this continues, there is no hope but open rebellion, which is sure to be crushed by the bloated Trump-worshipping military.

I have no idea how we can recover from this madness. The coming months will haunt us for the rest of the lives of everyone currently alive.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Fojar38 posted:

Also daily reminder that Trump lost the popular vote and is going to enter office with sub-40 approval ratings.

Which matters very little since the Republicans will do whatever they can to prop him up to woo his base while they gleefully pass all the horrible ideas they've been held back from for so long. He'd have to do something so monstrously stupid that it somehow manages to anger enough white people (the only ones that really matter electorally as of now) to get them to risk themselves by not bending knee to our new overload. That's before he gets his evil flunkies/puppet masters into power over every agency.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Young Freud posted:

I just quit selling Medicare Advantage plans this week, three weeks before the open enrollment season ended. The major reason was getting saddled with Kentucky, where we could offer only Humana plans for the most part and they were all super-expensive. Rural was worse because there was one plan in their area we could offer but at around $100/month, in addition to their Part B premium. Meanwhile, on TV, there's ads for $0/month premium plans and they're expecting something like that.

And almost everyone I talked to was on Medicaid or low income and could barely afford their current situation. It was a loving nightmare.

It's depressing how low the American voters' ability to think critically is. The most obvious con-man assault them constantly, but they just keep on taking the bait out of some desperate hope that this time it will all work out for them.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Kilroy posted:

gently caress I thought Trump was going to bring jack-booted thugs turns out he's just going to :qq: on Twitter for the next four years. I'm not sure which is worse.

Whining victimhood is what allows jackbooted thugs full support of the public convinced that they are so wronged by being denied full control. It's worked so well for Republicans, so I can't see that changing unless the US magically gets a clue.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Angry_Ed posted:

Speaking from experience it's people who have either never served in the military (but worship it for some nebulous reason) or never saw active combat. So you know, exactly the same sort of person Heinlein was.

Yup. We have a huge number of people brought up on Hollywood-style hero narratives desperate to live out their dreams of being the lone badass to shore up their delicate ideals of self-worth by pushing it all off on others so they can live vicariously through the narratives right wing media will give of the glorious warriors. The horrors of war are completely abstract to most of the population and actual soldiers are usually brainwashed into the right wing infosphere.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

A handful disgusted enough to see this man is too horrifying to allow the benefit of the doubt through traditional rules is an amazing statement on how far gone America has become. I know that it likely means nothing given how many he managed to get, but this alone is huge.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Combed Thunderclap posted:

This is a pro-read. The truthiness situation is so bad that it comes off as satire.

EDIT:

The article actually notes that Facebook and Google's spam filters are significant barriers to them making more cash, so I don't think they're useless and there could be value in those companies deciding to beef up those filters.

Although as usual there's a chicken-and-the-egg problem of what came first, the news or the readers, but I do think allowing the two to work each other up into a truly freakish frenzy is preventable if you ignore that and focus on cutting the threads of the feedback cycle.

The comments are the real sad part. These are people who admit they make up gibberish to get money and so many of them are their favorite dupes yelling about how "dangerously slanted" the article is and that they are the true future. There are so many flat out begging to let a scammer rule over them like a king that have deluded themselves into thinking that all the counter evidence just makes them the sole holders of the REAL TROOTH. Dammit, Trump is really what this country deserves.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Yeah, he's not even trying to hide it anymore. We're completely screwed.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Rexicon1 posted:

What the gently caress do the other 35% want to do?

Keep their heads down and hold onto power at all costs.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Clip-On Fedora posted:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...ocid=spartanntp

Trump finally gives the Lügenpresse what for! I bet CNN and the New York Times is really not regretting that horse race narrative at all now, no sir!

Unless they finally grow a spine and do their jobs, this is the next four years.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Spaced God posted:

If the electoral college rebels a loving civil war would happen

At this point, that would do far, far less damage than letting this open fascist bigoted conman fleece the nation for at least four years.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

And the media is too busy falling over itself to bow to Rump to care at all.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

Nikki Haley will be the UN Ambassador. Here is why: https://twitter.com/maggienyt/status/801391288335613952

So the rewards are now in full swing and the media is currently trying to grovel at his feet and pretend that all this is normal.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

As a progressive, I'm not cool with being thrown "cookies" that may actually end up being harmful in the long run so that fucks like Schumer can stay in power. I want big Dem wins and a strong progressive agenda being pushed. I'm open to which candidate is better for accomplishing that.

Agreed, but we need to chip away at the red state governments for that to have any chance of success. When state governments can reject free money out of spite like they did with the ACA, it's piss easy for Republicans to project programs as a failure to the uneducated.

What's really pissing me off is that we aren't making a dent on the massive right wing propaganda machines that helped lead us to the point where nothing that doesn't help the GOP matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Trump is a terrifying example of just what angry white Americans will ignore if they can strike out at the Other like Republican propaganda tells them.

• Locked thread