Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Yay off-season thread, hurrah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enri
Dec 16, 2003

I think Baku did such a great job we should just race there 20 times, anybody?

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Just pissed myself laughing hard out loud in the office at that bombshell.... loving epic. I love you Bossberg.

Sulman posted:

Do you notice his timing is similar to his Dad's, in terms of the age of his child?

I eagerly await the Bossberg trilogy in 30 years time.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Human Grand Prix posted:

It must be said that Wehrlein didn't look amazing.

Was it COTA where he beached it in a gravel trap and the team were telling him to kill the engine or something and he didn't follow orders? one of the commentators brought it up and mentioned that someone else had said words to the effect of "and that's why no one's sniffing after him" or something like that.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

and Kobayashi...

enri
Dec 16, 2003

The BBC have a run down of the likely candidates: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38185491

They reckon the most likely is Bottas, but even then there's the fact that Williams will want an experienced driver to partner the rookie they have coming on board.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Riso posted:

Does he have to use the long or the short arm?

:golfclap:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

You could have the best commentators in the world, but if they're commentating on the steaming pile of poo poo the neighbors cat has left in your garden then they're not going to be all that convincing, no matter how hard they try.

IMHO.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

I loving love Kimi.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

1500quidporsche posted:

I have nothing but quality well thought out posts and this avatar was inflicted on me because of other people's jealousy and petulance.

I hear you brother.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

learnincurve posted:

Lewis wasn't even nominated for, or invited to, the sports personality of the year* ceremony lol

*UK's only big sports awards.

The irony being that it was awarded to the person with no personality whatsoever :v:

I'm glad Andy Murray won for a record third time, because it means I've been able to use that joke three times now.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

I'm happy to see little Felipe baby coming back, despite the tear drenched farewells at interlagos, it felt like (UK media at least) his retirement was massively overshadowed by Button but jesus christ that is the dullest decision ever.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Abba sang about him before he was born

YOU SPEAK OF THE PROPHECY

Can you hear the brums Fernando?
I remember long ago another race weekend like this
In the spotlight Fernando
You were brum-brumming to yourself and softly stroking your long hair
I could hear the distant brums
And sounds of motor cars were coming from afar

enri
Dec 16, 2003

gret posted:

He's the spawn of Jos Verstappen.

Can you please refer to him by the proper name, JOS THE BOSS

enri
Dec 16, 2003

El Hefe posted:

McLaren aren't even going to be any better than Williams.

Especially with WDC hopeful Felipe 'stay cool baby' Massa back on board

enri
Dec 16, 2003

aequalis posted:

Please don't body shame in this thread OP.

Also, I see you've met my father.

Father?! poo poo, I thought I'd been sleeping with your mother

edit: merry christmas ya filthy animals

enri
Dec 16, 2003

wicka posted:

If Verstappen is destined to die in a crash, I hope he does so by launching his car into the Sky booth.

Even then Crofty would get the wrong car as he calls it out in his last moments
"RICCIARDO'S OFF AND HURTLING THROUGH THE SKY! TAKING AFTER HIS COUNTRYMAN 'AUSSIE GRIT' MARK WEBBER"
"No Crofty, it's Vers-BOOM

enri
Dec 16, 2003

What does a vampire take for a bad cough?!

coffin medicine!!!

:dance:

...I'm sorry :(

enri
Dec 16, 2003

iospace posted:

New rule: every car gets dick noses

New rule: every car gets randomly assigned holes in their bodywork at the start of every session. FIA staff with power drills will be assigned to each team.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

blunt posted:

Sky news just announced Manor will be calling in administrators this morning.
Came to post about this, here's a link with some more info: http://news.sky.com/story/manor-f1-team-8206lines-up-administrator-as-cash-runs-out-10719424

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Daveh posted:

So Brundle had a minor heart attack on the way to the Monaco Grand Prix podium last year, which was the reason he missed the Canadian Grand Prix.

A couple of weeks later he raced in a Le Mans support race, qualified on pole and finished second!

Great, another story to add to his repertoire :|

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I wonder if any of the current drivers are vapists? That's what cool has been reduced to in the modern era

1500quidporsche posted:

Vaping and paddleshifting with no unreliability. What an age we live in.

That's not the drinks button they've been pressing.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

"hmm, i can have 2 bedrooms in the suburbs, or 5 bedrooms in the middle of nowhere near this airport. I'll treat myself, i deserve it"

*light background noise from cessnas*

THIS IS RIDICULOUS AND I CANNOT LIVE IN THESE CONDITIONS

*most postwar airports in america close down*

This made me a bit sad. I grew up in a little place just outside south east London called Biggin Hill (old RAF base, civilian airport these days) and I miss the long summer days punctuated by the occasional buzz of light aircraft every 20 minutes or so. drat. I miss that occasional buzz.

You'd listen out and the buzz would cut out and you knew some poor bastard was getting his "this is what you do when the engine cuts out" lesson.

Anyway!.... getting back on topic. Bottas is actually a James Bond villain. Mclaren in 'possibly actually nice livery' shocker. Silverstone loses British GP *yawn* I'll believe it when I see it.

.....it's almost March isn't it? Almost.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Theophany posted:

Biggin Hill is also the home of Formula One Management. Well, until Liberty Media move it to some loving mailbox address in Wyoming or South Dakota.

It is! I used to walk past their offices every day to and from work, round the corner from where I worked. The audio / visual company a few units down from us always had the Jordan motorhomes in for a clean up over the summer breaks too. I also went for a job with the, not entirely sure what you'd call them, support team for the broadcast people. i.e. spare camera parts etc. would need to be flown out to 'the travelling circus' as he called it, long hours but that would have been a fun job.

:h:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Lets goon meat

:stare:

I hope this is a typo

enri
Dec 16, 2003

https://twitter.com/DC_F1/status/823817001198120960

The return of the Brawn is good news

enri
Dec 16, 2003

learnincurve posted:

...for when more tea is required.

There is only one time that more tea is required: when your cup has become devoid of hot liquid.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Nonce and Eccentric

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

Don't sign your posts

:golfclap:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Ok... why are some race weekends listed as 4 days, some 3, and others only 2? (ignoring Monaco weirdness that is) - British GP is apparently on the 15-16th July.... yet the weekend before, the Austrian GP spans 3 days. Derp. It doesn't bother me overly, but I've just copied all the dates into my calendar for the year and it looks all screwy.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Skarsnik posted:

or use

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/contact/f1-fanatic-calendar/

subscribe in your mobile calender of choice and then it'll update automatically. Its got all the testing and launch dates in it too

I would but this would require me using that cockwomble's site, I'd rather scoop my eyeballs out than even be seen to supporting F1 fanatic.

Keith something? Twat

enri
Dec 16, 2003

brainwrong or someone will back me up on the F1 fanatic guy :colbert:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Skarsnik posted:

I am not doubting you, I just had no idea

I shall continue to use the calendar but shall curse Keith every time I use it in solidarity

loving keith

Good man, Keith I think is less 'F1 journo' and more 'annoying oval office who does all this poo poo in his spare time' last time I checked?

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Thank you for digging that you, Wirth1000 puts it so eloquently :) For the lazy:

Wirth1000 posted:

Keith Collantine. He had a real full time job doing something and ran the site on a part time basis as just a fan. Then a few years back he decided to go full time and this suddenly skyrockted his ego to give the impression that he's some sort of actual influential voice in F1. He's just some arrogant rear end in a top hat running a site with font sizes way too loving big. I can't stand to read that site for more than a couple days cause of how opinionated all the pieces can get and his bleeding heart 'think of the fans!~!!!!!' idea that he's some sort of voice for the people.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Wirth1000 posted:

enri, I'm going to PM you. I'm hoping you have PMs.

roger roger, received and replied :cool:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Khablam posted:

Jolylolypop man is a robot or something so he doesn't count.

he also won't be around for long so best not to get too attached

enri
Dec 16, 2003

I think Ferrari should re-brand as Frrr

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Theophany posted:

Ferrari are perfect in every way and gently caress you if you disagree. :colbert:

I would agree if they could at least get a car on the podium once in a while :saddowns:

I work with this Italian guy, I thought brilliant! a real life tifosi to have some F1 banter with... I started to question him about F1 and he was all like this "AAAHHHHH F1, ITS ALL RUBBISH, MAYBE I WATCH FOR THE... *waves hands*" "crashes?" "YES!"

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Pirate Radar posted:

A touring festival, you say... with supporting acts...

It's too bad none of the drivers is also an aspiring pop star...

"Hey, hey guys... I've got a super fun idea..."

enri
Dec 16, 2003

nailed it, how did I forget "man"?!

Is it just me or do the words "super" and "fun" piss anyone else off? As if "fun" in itself isn't all that great, it needs to be super fun... "naww guys I'm not coming to the pub tonight, it'll be fun but not super fun so I'll give it a miss, you enjoy your default and standard fun"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Theophany posted:

Yes because it is a sequence of words used exclusively by manchildren and overly saccharine fuckbags.

You and me are going to get on just fine

learnincurve posted:

Silverstone is now in trouble because of the bikes. http://circuitofwales.com is a stadium which is being built and half funded by the welsh government entirely around bikes. They now have the MotoGP contract for when it's completed. Bernie repeatedly screwing them won't have helped, but Silverstone has always been expensive for track days compared with all the other, better, tracks surrounding it and has rather relied on it's fame. I don't think anyone in Britain really cares much for Silverstone, we care about there being a British GP. If Brands Hatch or Donnington managed to get approved for the F1 no one would care much about silverstone tbh.

Wasn't there some issue with the circuit of wales and trying to find investors just in the past week or two? Seem to remember them mentioning it on the morning news, something about the government going "Yep we'll give you half the cash, but you need to show us the money" - fake edit: here it is -> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-38751116

Admittedly I haven't bothered reading any more about the story past that, so it could be all well and good by now and I'm sitting here none the wiser :v:

• Locked thread