Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine being a a pro like Mark Strong and turning up to a job to find yourself working alongside the bosses sour faced wife whose biggest credits are web shows and a cut scene in a massive flop she only got because they paid for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

AP posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/209676017?t=29m07s

Seems like the faithful spin on Crytek is "last grasp", "dying company", "out of money".

All good reasons not to exercise your legal rights and sue for breach of contract.

Milky Moor posted:

So, I just heard something about the Star Citizen stuff at the 2014 Aus PAX. I can't verify this but I have no reason to assume it's based on lies. What was interesting is I don't think this has been ever mentioned there.

A friend of a friend had a pre-order pack which got him into the reveal of the FPS module, some kind of VIP exclusive event for certain backers.

Roberts gets up on stage and does the presentation and talks the talk about how great it is and so on and then a "lady space pirate" came up on stage and "took him hostage" in some kind of roleplay skit.

Then Squadron 42 stormed the stage and rescues Roberts, arrested the space pirate lady and put her in cuffs. Hooray, pirates have been stopped, all hail Squadron 42!

Then Roberts addresses the crowd. "What should we do with her?" he calls.

The crowd shouts in reply.

"STRIP OFF HER CLOTHES!"

Friend says he left soon after.

I 100% believe this, it is CIG af.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Palpek posted:

Ok, I didn't know that the espresso machine was for 20 people, that is dumb.

Even if it wasn't I'd question the wisdom of spending $12k on a coffee machine and hiring a barista using your crowd-funded money when the fantastically ambitious game you're supposed to be making is years behind schedule. That's not to say staff shouldn't have perks but there are more cost effective alternatives.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

The financial side of things looks like a headfuck for the lawyers. If CIG is told to pay royalties could they legitimately argue they've not actually made any money yet?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

BeigeJacket posted:

How bad is the new Star Wars?

If you're a star wars fan it seems to be 50/50 whether you'll love it to the point of audible orgasmic delight like the stereotypical nerds sat behind us in the cinema, or detest it so much you'll post frothy mouthed 1/2 star reviews on rotten tomatoes about how a hipster has ruined the Saga.

If you're not fussed about star wars it's a perfectly okay but slightly too long Disney Industries Blockbuster Product(TM) with a couple of nice action scenes and some awkward toy advertisements masquerading as movie scenes.

My favourite thing about it was the the ginger Harry Potter guy's character whose name sounds like General Hugs, that was funny every time they said it.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

:same:

except the R2 scene I forgive as it seemed to be a deliberate prod at the endless nostalgia.

>hyperspace attacks? Why didn't they hyperspace a ship into every other Imperial fleet ever?)

Yeah wtf was that. It looked cool but falls apart with more than 2 seconds thought. Why aren't the rebellion just using a fleet of cheap junkers as incredibly powerful missiles? Are we to believe that lady was the first to think of it (also - someone needs to pilot so you can escape! Ya loving kidding me, hyperspace but no autopilot? At least say the autopilot is broken)? Will everyone be doing it in the next movie (probably not because reasons)? You can go as wacky as you like with a fantasy world but it's gotta have rules.

it dont matter fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 18, 2017

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

There are enough reasons to point and laugh at these dummies without bringing up irrelevant criminal records. It's best if former convicts are not shunned and excluded from society for the rest of their lives.

Being involved in the star citizen community is far more shameful.

Also Derek, I wouldn't be so quick to link to that refunds poster offering to pay filing fees. That seems mildly loving shady to me. £25 a pop adds up. I don't believe they aren't looking to get something out of it.

it dont matter fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 18, 2017

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

I know where he got this idea. Crobber watched Star Trek 4 and demanded tanks for the whales.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

My dream is to be the guy in the 'verse tasked with polishing Mark "Oldman-not-gary-oldman" Hamill's guns with what looks like a kitchen sponge.

There's nothing suggestive about this at all get your mind out of the gutter.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Hope we get a follow-up scene where Mark realises he actually does need to know your name for the purposes of issuing commands in combat and there's an awkward radio conversation where he tries to pretend like he's not trying to find out.

Well done Chris Roberts you managed to hire a universally beloved actor known for starring in the biggest movie franchise in existence and written him as an unlikeable and reckless douchebag. You useless loving hack.

it dont matter fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Dec 21, 2017

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Why's his mouth open the whole time? If you have a cold or other breathing difficulties you probably should be excused from flying a fighter.

Not shown: the gun-polishing pleb wiping snot off the spaceship controls and cockpit glass.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

crisp roberts posted:

Oh god i wonder if Oldman will ever be proud of me?

That depends on whether you can polish his gun until he can see his face in it.

Now, let's rub.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Could this shares stuff be a plan to sell shares to backers? Project Cars did something similar.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Othin posted:

The thing about Star Citizen is that at this point is that it has gone on for so long and generated so much insanity that people think you are lying or exaggerating when you try to explain it. Like any one story from this would be hard to believe. Five+ years worth is just too much.

*Exceed original goal by a hundred plus million dollars.. still do not have content from original demo in game.
*CEO and HR/Marketing director attempt to hide marriage
*HR/Marketing director sings Nazi song to Germans
*CEO tells HR/Marketing director to just fly first class. HR/Marketing director tells this to media.
*Plucky little startup has like 14 offices/divisions/subsidiaries spread across the globe.
*In order to prove how honest and straightforward they were as a company, they promised backers that they would release financials in full if they didnt ship by a certain point. When that point came they just deleted all references to that and wrote a new *ironclad* TOS.
*Have missed every single date and milestone they have set for themselves.
*Accidentally* release dev build to public since it was on an open server
*The backers....

*Star Citizen, the horse

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, that's not good enough. The LOD manual is only 21 pages. Go for the UCCE manual. It's 100 pages.

Pages 1-20 are a guide to opening the main menu.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

ahmini posted:

From the comments section on that article:

:psyduck:

I just don't believe that comments like this and those in that /r/oculus ED post are anything but shills at this point. Livestreams get a pathetic number of views and any time the game is mentioned outside of the shitizens safe spaces it gets absolutely slammed. Yet articles about CPU bugs get tangentially related comments mentioning star citizen? They're paying for astroturfing on a huge scale.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Right this moment Ortwin is sat at his desk with a bottle of whisky and an empty Word doc, frantically poring over a 1985 book about German copyright law.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Nice.

Now they need SQ42 to be Just A Game Mode.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It originally was. They hosed up bigly.

They had to harvest those sweet UK tax credits.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Add those stupid glasses and the Willy Wonka costume is complete.

Wiley Wanker and the Chocshit Fucktory.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

current site footer:

new site footer:

Not seeing the funding chart.... :jackbud:

"Single player campaign"

Lawsuit defeated! Take that Skadden! Ortwin does it again :smuggo:

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

The best part of all this is that it does not matter if the Crobber and Tickler dream team come out on top in any legal battle. There was already good reason to think their financial situation was shaky, and Star Citizen is still a gigantic fuckshow that's never going to meet the insane expectations.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Galarox can you do this but make it say Chris Roberts Life of Lyin'

It even has a crashed spaceship on it already so half the work is done.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Those shitheads commenting on Streetroller's video making comments about his disabilities are good for star citizen. Really top notch work not making yourselves look like a crazed cult, guys.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

I called this.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

ManofManyAliases posted:

We don't know the circumstances of the termination (if any, and if it was done properly), so we can't say otherwise right now.

So they might have proof of termination but they hired a lawyer who is as incompetent as them and forgot to include it in their response?

Actually yeah, I can see this happening.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Einbauschrank posted:

The wank pod module is missing. Sad.

Hey so what ever happened to the Endeavour? They are well on their way to making that one I assume. That thing was an entire game's worth of technical debt all by itself.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

I know there's a lot going on right now but I have an important question: does anyone know the development status of spaceship parking sensor modules?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Here is something completely off topic:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/31/crowdfunding_court_case_refund_retro_computers_zx_vega_plus/

quote:

A crowdfunding backer of Retro Computers Ltd has won his court claim for a refund against the company for failing to deliver its promised product.

The court also ruled that Indiegogo’s terms and conditions were not relevant to the claim.

quote:

"That document is important in my view for this reason: it says 'this order'. Not 'this pledge' but 'this order' has been successfully added to your campaign," said the judge. "That would appear to be something that was probably in my view provided by Indiegogo but there’s no clarification of that. It makes it clear, 'this is an order'. This was successfully added to your campaign. This is the information that was provided to the claimant at the time."

quote:

The judge ruled that an implied contract of sale had been formed between Morton and RCL, and that RCL had breached the contract by failing to deliver the Vega Plus that Morton paid for.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Nice find.

quote:

Smart did not refer to his online comments of last year at this that all that was keeping the game from shipping was "the manual".

Derek is Chris. Chris is Derek.

To be fair to Derek, that might have been true. I can totally see him having to spend a year working on the manual. At least 20 pages will be about how to open the main menu.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Like... lol, just lol if you ever enjoyed a game in the last 40 years that have bugs in them.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Derek what is this about beating up a Coke machine. This is the first time I'm hearing this story.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

D_Smart posted:

It's rubbish invented by Take Two execs in an attempt to hurt my credibility after I went public that they had shipped the game knowing that it was not ready. It was also the first time that I took legal action against a publisher. And won.

I dunno man it sounds pretty likely, it'd be a weird thing to make up.

How do you feel about Pepsi machines.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Legal bought the newspaper to derek this morning.

Good boy Legal. You're a good boy yes you are.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Spiderdrake posted:

Yeah one of my close friends is a huge, huge Hux fan and loved TLJ, and when we discussed it she was quick to point out (paraphrasing) "Remember when we watched Fringe together and Abrams gonna Abrams?" and I was like right TFA was NEVER GOING to do anything with its supposed plot threads.

Been a while since I watched it but I thought Fringe ended on a satisfactory note and tied up most of the major plots. It was certainly handled better than Lost.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Derek actually posted something interesting on twitter.

Guess the game!

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2000/05/20/freelancer-interview

quote:

You can wander around in the universe for days or months or possibly even years and never really participate in the story.

quote:

One of the big things that we're really happy with on Freelancer is that the universe runs independently of whatever the player's. Trade goes on between planets whether you're there or not, piracy goes on whether you're there or not, exploration and mining go on whether you're there or not. Basically when we build a system, we build it like you would build a real world -- we need someone to supply this, we need someone to consume this -- and we build that as a full rule set, populate it, step back and it runs itself.

quote:

there's a living, breathing world

quote:

Every ship has all these moving parts and components and there's a lot of tactics to that. So that's a big thing for us, the attention to detail is a big thing; the living universe is a big thing.

quote:

Our next milestone is what Microsoft calls "code-complete" which is probably the end of September. The next milestone will be content-complete which is all the content in as well as all the code fully functional which is at the end of the year and after that it's really going to be testing. So hopefully it'll be out by spring of next year.

Interview conducted May 2000, game released March 2003, sans Crobber.

Perhaps his universe server was left over from this.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

His aura of bullshit is so powerful that he can repeat the same crap 15 years later and hoover up hundreds of millions of dollars in nerd cash, and idiots will defend him by pointing to the previous failed attempt as evidence of his abilities.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Fidelitious posted:

Hang on, I recognize that gaming bar guy also! He joined up in Test Squadron and posted a ton of crap about his gaming bar there as well.

https://testsquadron.com/threads/i-am-slumlord-aka-slvml0rd.3167/

If you wanted to be even less surprised he is also into cryptocurrencies and vaping.
It's amazing how predictable it is.

Holy hell. This guy is tragic.

look at this poo poo

quote:

Then me and my bros said F it and went full bore and spent $100K+ on a really nice Downtown Officespace on the top floor, and a bunch of PC Gaming hardware for our battlestations, and virtual spaceships, and a LEGIT, REAL, Entity (LLC) in Cali. It was a for-profit company, but our goal was never to actually turn a profit with that venture.

All we wanted to do was sit around and play Star Citizen from our Star Citizen Command Center, and offset costs by doing some cool stuff, and at the end of the day all we wanted to do was build badass Star Citizen Battlestations. Never gave a single f**k about making money on that project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

How is this poo poo still going on?

Has this been posted yet: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/11/21/underworld-ascendant-is-unfinished/