Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Does anyone remember service merchandise? I guess it existed in some form till the early 2000s but does anyone remember it in the old days?

Yes. Our family never ordered there because there were so many other places where you could get what you were looking for right away.

The concept was/is really cool, but making a consumer come back later sucked. Amazon solved that issue by shipping it to your house for peanuts.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Brick and mortar stores are also generally run on skeleton crews these days. Finding somebody to ask about where something is can take an unreasonable amount of time. A search bar on a website knows where everything is.

Some places, like Home Depot and Target have apps that tell you where poo poo is in that store. Which is awesome.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

What's stopping Amazon from building a little room on to the front of their warehouses where the public can pick up an online order or browse Amazon.com at a touchscreen kiosk?

I think above everything else, its warehouses in places which are best suited for storing, shipping, and receiving goods, not for attracting customers. Not many people live near the intersection of Hwy 12 and Route 7 in Bumfuck, KS; it also is a terrible place for freestanding retail. However, it sure is really easy to get poo poo in and out of there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I get it, but that's really bothersome to me.

Online sites for these stores are geared towards you ordering it online and having it shipped in some matter above everything else. They aren't designed for shopping your store.

So you get sites like Best Buy or Wal-Mart where they're selling from a half a dozen different vendors and you may have to filter down 2 or 3 times just to find stuff that is available in stores, is in stock, in the store you want to go to.

At that point, unless there's some reason I just can't go at the moment or I need to get a sale price on something- I just shop in person.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

duz posted:

You can take your coat off and put it in the cart. It's ok, I promise no one will laugh at you.

Yea. Heatstrokin' it is only a problem in malls that don't have lockers.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Cease to Hope posted:

where the gently caress do you live that malls have customer-facing lockers

At least one mall in Ohio has them.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I forgot another option is to buy something small at the mall but get a bag big enough to stuff your coat in. Sure, you can also bring a store bag from home but that's kind of tacky and people might think you're shoplifting.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

OneEightHundred posted:

Speaking of Macy's, one of their closures is apparently in a mall near where I used to live that's in the process of converting the mall into an outlet center. Apparently they're having a hard time getting people to give enough of a poo poo any more so their solution is to give make them give a poo poo by just sending prices to the floor, and outlet centers are the only retail sector that's growing. Maybe that's another future in the cards for retail, the end of high-markup "shopping experiences."

I hope so. Places like Macy's are just way too loving expensive for everything. People just don't have the money these days for that poo poo.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I used to love going to K-Mart in middle school because we'd just moved to a development that was practically in the middle of nowhere (even though it was in the same county/only a half hour drive from downtown). K-Mart was the only thing to do, even if it was still a 15 minute drive away.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The article brings up the best point of all: retail is just totally over loving saturated. There's just too many retail outlets chasing customers.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Craptacular! posted:

I wonder how much the apparel retail market will be killed by outlet malls,

Outlet malls are part of the problem and need to die. They are part of the glut of retail space and chase too few shoppers. They rarely ever provide any sort of bargain for the shopper and I'm convinced at this point most of their sales are driven by people shrugging and telling themselves "Well, I came out all this way anyway, might as well have something to show for it".

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Jack2142 posted:

I have short legs as a guy and I have to mentally tack on $10 or so to every pair of pants I buy because I have to get them hemmed up at those Dry-cleaners that do some simple alterations an inch and a half because pretty much nowhere carries stuff under 30 in length which is a bit annoying.

Learn to do it yourself. Get a decent sewing machine, a thread kit, and Tailor's chalk.

Assuming you already have an iron with a steam function and an ironing board, that's everything you need.

It will take a little time to get it good enough but once you do: you can alter 4 or 5 pairs in a couple of hours.

It also helps if you buy the shortest inseam you can find and a tapered leg so you don't have floods. Though, you get good enough you can take in the legs, too.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The grocery store closest to me has a bunch of lanes. Fully half of them are automated checkouts that are in the style of a regular checkout (has a belt and everything, and sometimes someone will come by and bag your stuff). There are two small self checkout express for people with baskets/12 items or less.

For all of the manned checkouts, only 2 or 3 are open at any time and they are all slow as poo poo.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

fishmech posted:

Well the manned checkouts are always going to attract all the people who need to do specialty transactions which can't be done at the self-checkout, and also people who physically can't handle packing their own stuff and thus are going to be slower to checkout.

No, the cashiers themselves working the lanes are slow as poo poo.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Just yesterday I had a realization about how much space is wasted in shopping centers- with respect to parking.

Surface parking requirements/allowances are just loving insane. So much wasted loving space. It's so much unused space (that only maybe gets used around the holidays), that car dealerships store their inventory there.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

LogisticEarth posted:

Holidays are/were the whole point of mega lots though. Retail NEEDS major shopping holidays, and they literally size the lots to accommodate the holiday rushes. If people can't park there, they won't shop there, or at least that's the method to the madness.

the black husserl posted:

I think that's exactly what he's saying? It's a very hosed up system that demands massive amounts of land, but only for a couple weeks out of the year. Almost like the system is designed to serve the needs of capital and not humans...

They are only maybe used during the holidays, and only under exceptional circumstances. The region has shrunk in population, yet the excess of parking has been maintained throughout.

The exceptional circumstances that govern whether or not the extra surface is used is dependent on whether or not there is a lot of snow that hasn't melted. Those extra lots are half-used as storage of mountains of snow, or completely cut off by the plows anyway when they start moving snow around.

Even then: the capacity wasn't even justified back in the day.

Getting rid of/'outlawing' this kind of excess parking and better zoning shrinks retail's footprint, so it is more walkable. For instance, for the larger strip malls, I bet you can cut about 75% of parking capacity. All the buildings could be closer together, and people would walk from store to store instead of driving to the next store that's technically two doors down.

It's one of the reasons I miss older malls that have been built into communities instead of on the edge: the parking is already fairly constrained, and the whole mall: parking and mall itself are really walkable.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Why the gently caress is there a bible museum in the USA anyway? Makes no loving sense.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

JailTrump posted:

LOL Enjoy getting your suitcases robbed on the bus while heading to the airport on your trip to france and missing the flight meaning you lose out not only on the thousands of dollars of stuff in your suitcases but also the thousands of dollars you spent on booking hotels/flights/etc...

Lol some of you guys are nuts. Taking public mass transportation to a loving airport....

I'm so sorry that you live in the cartel infested towns of Mexico.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

fishmech posted:

Coyotes are a sign of the suburbs and urban settings, they thrive in those. They don't do particularly well in truly rural areas, but suburb/urban development patterns combined with the general culling of wolves has allowed them to expand much farther north and east than they did before Americans really started to settle the West and especially after the early 20th century.

Coyotes are encroaching into suburban and exurban areas pretty easily. I'm also really curious how coywolves are spreading out.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Self Checkout only sucks with Age restricted items.

And Target's self checkout.

Target's self checkout is an abomination.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Amazon is fuckin nuts, yo.

I ordered something late Sunday night, Amazon said it would still come with 2 day delivery. I didn't expect that. So I figured, whatever, I guess I'll see.

Last night about 6 O'Clock some nondescript van pulls up and delivers the package. Ok, so I guess Amazon is not only having USPS work Sundays to deliver their poo poo, but also hires drivers for themselves as well.

But the kicker is that another van came down my street, like right next to the other one, and said they had something to deliver too (Amazon got the cargo mixed up, it wasn't on her van, was already delivered to me).

I guess that rambled too much but I was dumbfounded that they have all these drivers going around making sure poo poo is delivered in two days.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

In my area, you either have the choice to use the full size self checkout aisles where you scan, slide, and bag everything yourself (including taking breaks to bag things to put them in the cart because the checkout was backed up), or you can go to one of the two human staffed checkouts that despite being there for the sole purpose of checking things out are at least 3x slower than you doing it.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Alterian posted:

When I was a cashier at Home Depot well over a decade ago we would shut down the registers except for the self checkouts about an hour or so before the store closed. Self check-outs at a hardware store is the stupidest idea.

I use them all the time at Home Depot and I rarely have problems with them. Only issue I've ever had with their system was when the UPC code of a 15a breaker couldn't be scanned.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Xaris posted:

Home Depot is another store that isn't going anywhere, but drat it also feels mismanaged. Long lines because there's only a few checkouts, rarely any floor staff, pretty expensive for some things and horrible products (especially their lumber), private security that will stalk you around the store, and intrusive receipt checking. basically make you feel like a criminal as soon as you pull into the parking lot. That said the self-checkouts aren't any worse than anywhere else and mostly work fine as long as it's not any "material" like lumber or buying lots of bags of conc like I tried last time.

I unironically like Lowes a lot though, seems a bit cheaper, cleaner, and much better staffed and always generally pleasant experience to part with money. Almost night and day the experience.

I have never had the experiences you describe at the Home Depots I frequent.

Alterian posted:

Like I said, all other registers would shut down except self checkout an hour+ before the store closed. Thats when people are rushing in before closing to buy 4 bags of tube sand and rock salt and a snow shovel.

I had that happened once where it seemed everything was closed. Then the lady down at customer service yelled us over telling us she could help us.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Badger of Basra posted:

Is it that hard to read a store map?

Also I've been considering buying something from one of Amazon's new furniture brands but it doesn't have any reviews on it yet so I'm hesitant.

Count me out.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Crow Jane posted:

Seriously dudes, Habitat for Humanity Re-stores are the best for furniture. You can find some cool, unique stuff for super cheap, and all of the proceeds go right back to the charity

The prices at our Habitat aren't what I would consider super cheap.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

1. One of the malls near me has 1 to 3 play areas, depending on how you count them.

2. Domino's franchisees are slowly refurbishing their stores.

3. I haven't had PJ since college, and it was decent enough back then.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

My local sears as of today

I scrolled by it too quickly and thought this was a photo of an airport baggage claim area.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

If I only need staples I go to Aldi.

Though, I should really pay attention to some of the prices because I'm not sure how much of a deal some of their things are.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I'll miss TRU. drat shame.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

OhFunny posted:

https://twitter.com/USATODAY/status/975711014896504835?s=19

As expected. Claire's Stores has filed for bankruptcy.

Is that another example of a company bought with debt?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Halloween Jack posted:

I never really even understood the practice of being a mallrat, because you needed gas money to drive 45 minutes to loiter.

Well, that's when you live 45 minutes away, I guess.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Caganer posted:

The one in my mall was smaller than a Toys R Us but had a pretty good selection- nothing but good toys. About 5-6 aisles wide. The Waldenbooks of toy stores

it was next to waldenbooks

As far as I can recall, all of the Toys R Us around me have always either been freestanding or the largest tenant in a strip mall.

I never considered TRU and KB Toys to be very similar, other than the fact that they both sold toys. KB in our area only ever occupied small to medium sized spaces in the mall.

Until TRU came to town (at least to my memory), Lionel's Kiddie City was the toy store. K-Mart had toys, but their selection (and displays) weren't as good as Gold Circle, and I think one time even Zayre.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Noctone posted:

dirt bikes are cool though dude

Wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVe-PBgOhxw

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Yea gently caress Ohio for some people not being cool with swarms of assholes on quads and dirt bikes disregarding nearly every traffic law.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

ryonguy posted:

And some how in none of those other cases does the local news interview some fat white dipshit complaining about it, but totally a coincidence I'm sure.

I mean, you're really putting it out there getting this bent out of shape over some kids goofing off. Oh no people riding motorcycles in the streets, it's like we live in Somalia! Then again some dork upthread was literally complaining about teens in malls so whatever.

You're acting like I'm pissing on your dumb hobby or some poo poo.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 28, 2018

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I don't wanna sober up, I'm a Raves-R-us kid.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

anonumos posted:

Will You Soon Have To Pay Sales Tax On Every Online Purchase?
https://www.npr.org/2018/04/17/603093440/will-you-soon-have-to-pay-sales-tax-on-every-online-purchase

Should have been done ages ago...

It sucks, but I agree. The legislative part needs to catch up to the realities of modern technology (like so many other things).

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

ToxicSlurpee posted:

People tend to hate them because of that mediocrity. Anywhere that there's a Subway you can probably walk fifteen feet and get something way better.

No, there's hardly any Quizno's around here anymore.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The consolation prize to Quizno's almost being extinct from NE Ohio is that there's still a bunch of Mr. Hero's around.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

As a parent, I miss toy stores.

TRU had everything in one place. You didn't have to guess at how something looked or felt in person- you could compare the different options right in front of you.

Then there were other toys next to it. Maybe the kid would like that too!

The kid can get an idea of what she likes too. Maybe she sees something else really cool that she'd rather spend her money on instead.

Target is usually a mess in the toy aisles and usually seem out of stock.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

My bank is small and has chip/pin but doesn't support Google Pay.