Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Paradoxish posted:

This isn't actually new, for what it's worth. I used to go into B&N to just sit down at the cafe and read over a decade ago.

I think you're right that this kind of "experience" doesn't justify the existence of a huge retail store, though. In the specific case of B&N, I could pretty much get the same thing if Dunkin' Donuts or Starbucks offered some sort of in-store ebook lending system that I could access on my phone or tablet.

Sure, if you are willing to absolutely trust Amazon's product descriptions to be 100% accurate.

Being able to browse, and see an item in person before purchasing it, is exceedingly handy. Especially for things like books, where you can easily be misled by reviews or cover blurbs, or clothes.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Dec 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

fishmech posted:

I'm talking about what it was like at the Wal-Mart I worked for as a summer job abut 8 years ago. That's what we did, no fees or charges but you had to be cashing the check as part of making a purchase. And one of the other ones nearby only reduced the cost to a token amount, for the same thing.

You are an idiot.

Apart from that, you are cofusing writing a check to the store for over the amount and receiving cash back with offering check cashing between 3rd parties and the consumer.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I'm skeptical here - people working at Walmart are price takers. I think that, without government "subsidy", they'd keep working at Walmart and just suffer more. If it's their only lifeline left, what choice do they have? I don't think the government removing its subsidy and letting people starve is on the table - to me the main choices right now are the government pays X, or Walmart pays Y and the government pays X-Y.

Absolutely agreed that the real issue is dwindling demand for labor - I'm guessing that will remain a huge issue for the remainder of the century.

I don't see how it's funneling government money into the private sector - it's more like the government selling excess labor into the private sector. They get a discount on the support they have to provide. Walmart gets employees. Your argument seems predicated on the fact that Walmart would be forced to pay more if the government didn't subsidize them and I just don't see it. If anything the government removing support would let them pay less, as walking and living off of welfare/food stamps is no longer an option.

Walmart would absolutely be forced to pay more without the government subsidies because their workforce would literally die off otherwise. This isn't the government selling 'excess labor' because the government flatly does not own these people's labor in the first place. This is entirely a large, multi-national corporation knowingly choosing to pay its staff less than a living wage in order to improve its own bottom line while the state picks up the tab for keeping the workers from starving.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Horseshoe theory posted:

Don't forget Macys, Sears/Kmart, etc. all continuing to contract after (another) terrible holiday season. 2017 looks to be another terrific year for most retailers...

Hopefully it'll finally kill Best Buy.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yeah, a good cross section of my wrenching tools are Craftsmans I've picked up at estate/garage sales and pawnshops over the years. They're good. Only thing I've managed to break involved a five foot cheater bar and jumping up and down.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Proud Christian Mom posted:

I thought it was all some calculated ploy by Lampert to drain the entire company for the benefit of his primary shareholder(his own fund) but then I read he went and put his own money back in so now I'm convinced he's just a Wall Street idiot that has no idea how companies actually become successful

Consider that he will likely make a benefit on his taxes when the company goes under with the 'loss' of that money -and- use it as an item in fighting his inevitable breach of duty and unjust enrichment filings.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

BrandorKP posted:

I wonder if all this just terrible management that seems widespread is what is knee capping productivity growth across the country.

Nah.

Running every business for the sole goal of short-term stockholder gains is the issue.

It shouldn't be some groundbreaking thing for Amazon and Google to reinvest in still being relevant companies in ten years, but there it is.

Halloween Jack posted:

I've been told that companies like Aramark have some great chefs working for them in college cafeterias, because so many well-trained people are willing to accept the constraints and monotony in order to get a living wage and benefits.

You should drop by the restaurant industry thread over in GWS. The vast majority of the old crew of kitchen goons are now either working hotels for the steady pay and benefits or out of the industry making vastly better money as computer janitors and the like because no matter how much you love cooking, there is no money in it.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 13:37 on May 30, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

DC Murderverse posted:

ooh, ooh, story time!

So when I lived in chicago, I went looking for a bakery job and found one in a very small bakery owned by a guy who also owned a coffee shop/roastery. We made all of the baked goods for that coffee shop, as well as a few other shops that bought in bulk from us. We were able to stay in business almost entirely because of those bulk purchases, and the fact that our own was independently wealthy from some dot com boom bullshit (as it turns out, when you have a boatload of money, it is easier to make a coffee shop that people want to go to because you can afford things like roasting your own beans, or hanging a loving DeLorean in the coffee shop). My manager was an incredibly great baker who came up with most of the recipes (delicious and mostly vegan to boot) herself. I switched to front of the house about 3 months in because i couldn't continue working midnight-7am shifts without wanting to kill myself, and not long after that, my manager and the owner made a deal to sell the business to my manager at a very good deal, under the premise that we'd continue to provide baked goods at a discount. My manager, unlike the old owner, was not wealthy by any stretch of the imagination, and had to go into massive debt to make the purchase as well as keep the bakery afloat for the 16 months or so that it was open. Our biggest problems were a combination of ownership and labor. She was a great manager, but she was very much a perfectionist (which explained the quality of the food), and would often work 18 hour days just to make sure everything was up to her quality, mostly because a lot of the people we hired got burnt out very quickly. There were a few of us that stuck around for an extended period of time, but the night baker position was something that we couldn't keep filled, and there was a multiple week period where she would sleep about one night a week in her apartment, and the rest of the time she'd take naps on an air mattress in the back. It also didn't help that, without the extra money from the rich owner guy, we didn't have much of a marketing budget, and spent very little on things that weren't ingredients and labor, and things that were legally required of us (exterminator, appliance repair, etc).

My manager was an incredibly good person, a hard worker, the food was really good (best croissant I've ever had to this day), and we had a cadre of loyal customers, but a few crucial errors and not having a lot of capital to begin with doomed us. I don't think this is an uncommon story in the restaurant world. It was a situation where one person being sick for a couple days could throw a gigantic wrench in the entire operation and every screwup was magnified by the amount of money it cost.

Way back in the thread at this point, but this is the story of my last job. I was that overnight baker/delivery guy, did 6-7 hours a night 6 nights a week for three years with one sick day bexause if I called out there was nobody else. Oir customers just wouldnt get breakfast.
Wasn't long before the place finally fell apart because the chef-owner got divorced and couldn't bankroll if off family money anymore. I quit when the paychecks started bouncing, along with two of the three day bakers.

Great food, I had a ton of loyal wholesale customers, but profits are so often tight that a single major problem does the business in.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Automation isn't what's killing off having a good waitress. Being a good server is pretty drat hard work and takes a hard worker to actually do it and chances are you do it because of the tips. You can make decent money in the right place if you're good at the job. All the restaurant world sees is that the minimum wage is $2.83/hour so they've been heaping more and more side work on the waitstaff. They're required to make up the difference if you end up at less than minimum wage but that'd doesn't really matter; if you make any tips at all they're paying you less than the actual minimum wage for anybody else.

The sole and only reason you do it for tips is because outside of fine dining (at the level where tipping is considered gauche) nearly every restaurant is too goddamn cheap to pay their help properly for the value they add to the business. Full stop.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jun 19, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Work/life balance doesn't seem like a big deal until you wake up one day and realize you haven't seen your best friend since their kid was born... and they're walking.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

got any sevens posted:

With reasonable jobs any shift over 8 hours, the portion over 8 is OT. And if you're over 40, the hours past 40 are OT. And if I have two shifts start/stop within 10 hours, the portions within the 10hr time are OT.

So if I work from 9-5, stay an extra hour til 6, then have to come back at 3 til 11, I worked 17 hours but get paid the equivalent of 18.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahah.

<deep breath>

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Even California allows for alternative workweek schedules that end in OT just being hours over 40 in a week, because the IT industry demands it of them.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

incoherent posted:

Question: why isn't there a massive correction in the food sector yet?

I'd assume it's not significant enough to be noticeable over the usual noise of restaurant failure rates.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

His point, I believe, is that nearly everything we consume is a human-developed food that only avoids the GMO label because it was developed via slower methods of hybridization long enough ago to be 'traditional' and thus grandfathered in the minds of the public.

Remember, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, brussels sprouts and kale are all the same species (Brassica oleracea), just domesticated into cultivars depending on what traits the farmers were looking for.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

WampaLord posted:

I love Good Eats but every now and then I just want to shake Alton Brown and scream that not everything has to be made from scratch.

Also if a kitchen tool only does like 2 things, it's not a "multitasker."

You realize he does that because it is a much more entertaining TV show to show how to do these things from scratch than to say 'just go buy a can of buttercream', right?

Even then, very little he does on the show is really that difficult.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

You do realize that every sentence in all of human history that started with "you do realize" was dickish and pointless, right? There are plenty of ways to make entertaining television without waging war on can openers.

:ironicat:

Yeah, there are. Generally, his point isn't 'don't have anything in your kitchen with just one purpose', but not having one-off single task gadgets you never actually use much cluttering up the place if you can do what they do with something you'll use for other stuff. There are also dozens of other cooking shows, many of them arguably better, that you can go watch if Good Eats (which has been off the air for five years now) rubs you wrong.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

Everyone should take public transport to the airport. I take it nearly every time I go and it's usually faster than taking a car because the airport around O'Hare is terrible. I also have to drive near O'Hare on my way to work and every Monday is god awful as I sit in traffic at 6 AM surrounded by taxis/Ubers/limos dropping people off for their Monday morning commuter flight. TAKE THE TRAIN PEOPLE! You would already be there.

Would if I could, but even once you get into the only real city in the state the bus system services the airport between 615 and 8 am, and 3pm to 6pm on weekdays only. Seriously, people overestimate how much of the US has even remotely working public transport.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Doctor Butts posted:

Coyotes are encroaching into suburban and exurban areas pretty easily. I'm also really curious how coywolves are spreading out.

Hey, if canids weren't adaptable, we'd have killed them all by accident by now.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

NewForumSoftware posted:

Yeah, it's far from ideal. "Getting to the airport" is like the (one of the?) bare minimum of a public transit system. It does seem like most major metro areas offer something like that, even if it's a Park-and-Ride or whatever. Living without a car requires a hell of a lot more out of a transit system (and I can imagine there's less than 10 major metro areas where it's realistic) but most cities have at least laid the groundwork, they just need to raise taxes, remove the concept of fares and expand their networks.

Does anyone know/have any data for trends in public transit over the past few decades? I'm curious as to whether things are getting better, staying the same, or worsening. From my limited observation it does seem like public transit is making somewhat of a "comeback" with millennials but that could just be the bubble I live in.

Why yes, I too believe that public transport is a realistic option if cities totally revamp how they run and fund it and make massive infrastructure investments. You goddamn simpleton.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 18, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

boner confessor posted:

he's technically not wrong, neither are you, you're just arguing different definitions of poor

if half of millennial households are making more than 40k a year then that's not bad and not necessarily 'poor' even if they're relatively worse off than boomers were. a significant factor here is age, as younger people just tend to make less money anyway, as well as the racial link to SES where millennials are the least white generation broadly participating in the economy so far

i'm a white male millenial in my thirties and things are going fine for me, i'm sure this likely the case for most other d&d goons since this forum skews towards white male geeks approaching middle age

gently caress's sake.

The federal poverty line for a family of 3 is $20,420. A median household income at less than double the poverty line for a generation that is at the 'getting married and having a first kid' age is loving terrible.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 23, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

fishmech posted:

What do those numbers look like for 1981 catching the earliest bits of gen x? 1973 when catching the midstream of boomers? 1959 for when a ton of boomers were still kids, or hell 1948 when a ton weren't born yet?

Do you own work, fishmech. Is your Google hand broken?

boner confessor posted:

i'm not presuming anything here, i'm just pointing out that we're not so much regressing as returning to the mean. less that society is being dismantled vs. the boomers won a chronological lottery and squandered it instead of leaving an inheritance for future generations. the relative wealth of the mid 20th century could have gone towards building a better society but it was instead wasted on conspicuous consumption and welp

We're not 'returning to a mean' in any sense other than the wealth distribution trending back towards 1920's levels of absurd disparity as the capitalist class finds more efficient ways of getting value from the working class without increasing wages in return, be it via automation or just the efficiency gains that modern technology allows. The GDP has more that doubled in the last 25 years, and shows no signs of slowing its gain. Hell, the US GDP per capita as of 2016 was $57k.

Here's a nice chart for you, in constant Y2K dollars.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Neon Noodle posted:

It is EXTREMELY good. Unfortunately, nobody is building additional dense neighborhoods because of zoning and inadequate public transportation. Instead we all have to cram ourselves into the existing ones.

I like this guy's blog, he talks about it: http://www.andrewalexanderprice.com/

That poo poo is driving me nuts right now. I'm starting to shop, and it's nigh impossible to find anything decent in the sub 1500 square foot range that isn't snapped up off the market in 36 hours.

All the old boomers are holding on to what used to be the 'starter house' market segment as their retirement shacks, and all the new builds are 2500 square foot McMansions in the exurbs.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

If it gets to that I will be living in a meth shack in the woods.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 25, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I'm guessing there's going to be more attempts to make internet advertising non subvertible. Otherwise yeah I can't see what they're going to do, the internet's basically replaced TV for everything I would use it for.

I feel like maybe social advertising, stuff like pinterest, where people basically advertise stuff to each other, is going to be an area of interest, I guess there's probably something similar going on with facebook information sharing. My other half was doing something related to that with her masters about how the travel industry has changed to tie into the proliferation of trip review websites which are apparently remarkably influential.

Pinterest is officially on my poo poo list because you can't image search anything anymore without hitting their lovely rehosting of other sites' content.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

exploded mummy posted:

Fyre festival was sold as an experience.

So is Burning Man.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, marketing has figured out people are much more likely to agree to monthly payments than lump sums. People dont' even seem to care about the price of a good or service, only how it will affect their monthly flow of money. If they think that $100 a month is a cost they can absorb it doesn't matter how much it adds up to in the end. They'd rather pay $100 a month for years than pay $2000 right now. You see this on a massive scale in housing. No one cares that that lovely 1br condo is $400k and after interest and other soft costs they are paying closer to $600k, that doesn't matter, all that matters is the monthly payment. When people yell at the government that things are unaffordable or prices are too high, they mean the monthly costs are too high. They don't want prices to go down, they want their payments to go down. They're fine paying 700k on a 400k condo so long as their monthly payments are smaller, who cares what the final price is.

I can't stand monthly payments, I like to buy things once, lump sum. So it drives me nuts that so many things are turning into "services" and "subscriptions". You don't buy a piece of software for $800, you pay $100 a month to subscribe to a service that includes access to that software and now there's yearly new versions and everything is designed to keep you paying that $100 a month forever because the moment you stop your piece of software stops working or is rendered obsolete in a year. It's turning into the same with music and movies too. You pay a monthly subscription to access a library of content, but its never yours, they can take it away any time, and if you ever stop paying its gone.

Please recall that, as far as housing is concerned, this is the result of prices being so high that your average consumer can never in their life buy a home outright.

They don't care what the overall price is because they will never in a month of leap days pay off that overall price anyway. They just want to know how much of a hit their budget is going to take to keep a roof over their heads.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Cicero posted:

Honestly that sounds like the kind of thing that online ordering + better automation should be capable of fixing. Why is typing in your measurements into a website to get clothes custom made by a robot not more popular?

Is there somebody doing made-to-measure for a price now? I'd be in the market.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Sep 11, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Grognan posted:

Prospective prison time is worse than death and shooting politicians historically hasn't solved jack poo poo?

Always remember the same people who are heavily pro-2nd Amendment are usually pro outrageously retributive prison systems. They're outright terrified of being put in the hands of the machine which they have crafted to punish the morally inferior, with very good reason.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

In my experience working at big corporate retail across a bunch of different companies, there was a pretty direct correlation between "employee discount/employee treatment" and shrinkage. My understanding is that loss rates vary all over the place within chains, but the Barnes and Nobles I worked at were generally well run on a local level and the employee discount was solid (with quarterly weekends where you got an even bigger discount) and we did had a pretty good shrink rate.

Meanwhile, I worked briefly in the late 1990s at a Sam Goody where we still had to look up SKUs on microfiche, make special orders on carbon paper, weird limits were put on our employee discount, and they did poo poo like straight up patting every employee down when they clocked out/left the store. That store had a ridiculous problem with theft. In general, the more draconian the measures taken by chains to crack down on employees because of the assumption they were stealing, the more stealing took place.

Your employees are your first line against shrink. Once you treat them as enemies, they will rapidly become enemies, and there is no amount of diligence that will stop losses once the employees are actively working against you.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

PT6A posted:

Hahaha, this is so true. This is like a law of nature.

"Yes, of course we only stock things in styles people won't actually want to buy because they are hideous and fit like garbage! Why aren't people shopping here????"

While bitching about clothes shopping: I skip leg day all the loving time and skinny jeans are sometimes so skinny I can't fit my loving legs in them. Who's buying those jeans? Who can possibly fit in them?

Try hitting the big and tall section. Anything you actually want to wear either doesn't exist in your size, is terribly tailored, or has been out of stock since 1993.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Xae posted:

It has been rumored that Amazon is going to create it's own delivery service. They're making a ton of investments and hires that point in that direction.

They already run one. There's a goon over in AI who does delivery for them.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

SimonCat posted:

I"m sorry you live in such a lovely area. Luckily Hy-Vee still has good customer service.

Yup. I work overnights, so I do most of my shopping at odd hours, and Hy-Vee has earned my business by having help available whenever the store is open, which is 24/7.

Polygynous posted:

I kinda skimmed the last few pages, did anyone propose a restaurant that is "open" 24 hours but you have to cook your own food between midnight and 6 am

I know, it's apparently thought crime to expect a major retailer to be able to effectively take their customers' money during their stated hours of operation. That said, I'd love a place that gave me access to a commercial kitchen on late nights.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Nov 5, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

blowfish posted:

how bourgie of you, forums poster liquid capitalism

Yeah, pretty much. On the other hand, HyVee pays well for retail and offers benefits, so I don't particularly feel bad about it enabling the shift work I have to do to stay solvent.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Xae posted:

They also go out of their way to hire people that otherwise couldn't get a job, which owns.

Employee-owned, too, which likely has a lot to do with all of the above.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Call me crazy, but I'd think that with the failings of the retail market lately, the last thing any retailer would want to do is make it harder for a customer to give them their money.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Magius1337est posted:

go to a tailor and get your measurements, amazon lets you filter clothes by these measurements so hopefully buying clothes isn't a crapshoot anymore since every brand had retarded ideas on what a medium and large is

It's still a crapshoot because many manufacturers don't provide actual measurements to Amazon, so they use their general sizing chart that's not accurate to any brand at all. It's fine if you're willing to go with an approximate fit, or order multiple sizes and see which one works, but if you're an odd size at all it's essentially random.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

exploded mummy posted:

Reviews never lie.

There definitely isn't a whole industry of robo-reviews.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Magius1337est posted:

The numbers they get for those are used across pretty much every brand in the upper levels of clothing.

Found your problem.

Most people, rather by definition, aren't buying the 'upper levels of clothing'. Bespoke is for people who can afford to pay for someone with the skills to make them look good.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

mandatory lesbian posted:

im pretty sure the poster hes talking about is the one who couldn't believe people hadn't ever been to nordstroms to be fitted before, and thus deserves all the abuse possible

Yeah, and who is a 'restaurant owner' who is hands off enough to sit in his jack shack all day and gently caress about with excel rather than have any hands on input into the operation of the restaurant.

Not going to knock it, it's not a bad gig if you've got money burning a hole in your pocket to let someone else run a restaurant with, but it explains entirely why his every post in this thread is bougie as gently caress.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Nov 11, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Magius1337est posted:

ya it's not like there's site location planning or revenue modeling you have to do or anything

Like I said, bougie as gently caress. You are in the business of owning the means of production. That's not a bad business to be in, but it also informs your opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

In terms of self-reflection on clothing shopping, I was going to say that if anyone had pointed out my general model of garment purchasing (going to stores, trying on things making note of things I liked/did not like, purchasing my favorites, then when I need a new pair of shoes or some new work shirts or jeans or whatever just ordering the thing I like online because I know how it fits/looks) and how I actually like having the option to use both ecosystems. But then I realized what this really means is that I wear essentially the same poo poo year after year, so maybe no one else does it for that reason.

Also Merrell finally discontinued the shoe I had been buying/rebuying for the past nine years, so that was the hidden pitfall. Vent 2 my rear end!

That's pretty much how my work shopping goes, but there's something to be said for wearing Dickies work shirts every day for years on end. They never really change or go out of style, and hold up to work.