Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Is it moral to give GW money if you get a gift voucher for Christmas? Asking for a friend...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Bad Moon posted:

5 & 6 probably. Beware, they are the least Star Treky seasons of any Star Trek

Season 6 has "In the Pale Moonlight", the best Trek episode, so this checks out

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Bad Moon posted:

I lol'd too. I mean nevermind the cool bat rep that TKIY posted here where he went over the things he did during the game and mistakes they made with pictures.
I love that it was the final post. A guy doing a really good effort post with pictures with some (honestly mild) criticism.

TOO MUCH

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Everyone should play Blood Bowl.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I love Blood Bowl, but it is definitely not for everyone.

I play Vampires and Ogres so I also hate being a winner. (One of the reasons I play Xenos too)

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

panascope posted:

The Star Wars prequels are so insanely good that nerds have been absolutely obsessed with them for two decades.

Yeah, if you guys don't get fired up about trade negotiations, you obviously don't really get what people liked about the Rogue Trader RPG. Pretty key part of the setting.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

https://regimental-standard.com/

This is proof that GW is turning in a good direction. This level of fun would have been unimaginable a few years ago.

All Hail Saint Duncan. :pray:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

ijyt posted:

Lmao being angry at a hobby you don't even do. It's like getting mad at Canon for only minimally improving their low-light performance and never having owned a camera.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Safety Factor posted:

Even Wolves must rest...

Awuuuuu :same:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

From what they have mentioned so far, I think 8th will be something really neat. But then again, I really like Age of Sigmar.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

Imagine a new edition of 40k that is napoleonic rank and file battles. It would be just like the clone wars.

I am ready.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

To me (and I've been in and out of the hobby since 3rd Edition), what makes the Dylan Thomas poem--and by analogy the 40k setting--so compelling is that the light is dying, so to speak.

Thomas writes:
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light

And what stirs my soul about that verse is the defiance it embodies. Night falls inevitably. But to rage against it nonetheless, when weaker than you were, and knowing that you cannot change the movement of the heavens, is inspiring. It is the same, to me, with the 40k universe. The grand ideals of the Great Crusade have been cast down and perverted. The Imperium has lost much of its technological and other progress. The once-proud Emperor is now a corpse-god, bound to the Golden Throne and enduring an eternity of torment in order to seal the daemon-infested webway gate at the heart of the Imperial Palace that his son Magnus inadvertently tore asunder. The Imperium of Man is beset on all sides, and from within, by enemies. It has developed into an incredibly oppressive, theocratic, authoritarian regime. The doomsday clock is ticking ever closer to midnight.

But it is not midnight yet. The galaxy should be certainly doomed, but it isnt. And not because of the bold actions of a few cartoonishly important heroes, but because of the millions of people fighting and dying for every inch, in an uncaring galaxy, every day, for ten thousand years. That is why it matters "that Eisenhorn stabbed Quixos with the reforged Barbarisater in the caves of Farness Beta," that "the Tanith 1st (and Only) made their epic stand outside the gates of the Civitas Beati," and that "the Ultramarines 1st Coy. died to a man underneath the northern polar fortress of Macragge." No individual life or death will swing the fate of mankind, but knowing that and still making the ultimate sacrifice anyway is that much more meaningful. Knowing your life won't sway the balance but giving it anyway, in the face of utter darkness, takes the highest kind of courage. The idea of staring into the abyss and spitting defiantly at the thirsting gods who stare back,is what has kept me invested in the story of this universe for the last 10-15 years. The clock ticks onward, and no one man (or Primarch) can hold back the hand before it strikes midnight. The Imperium has no choice but to pile bodies in front of it, jam the clockwork with the bodies of its heroes and commoners, in the hopes of staving off that final, last tick.

I agree that there should be hope. But hope here is a candle sputtering in a vast, windy darkness, yet somehow refusing to go out. Courage and defiance in the face of seemingly impossible odds. Once one man, or a few, seem to inexplicably turn the tide, it devalues the billions who over ten millennia could not. A ray of hope is necessary, but only a ray.

We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

I would love to hear whether others agree or disagree. :)

Lord_Hambrose fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 30, 2017

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Bad Moon posted:

sweet robot anime butts in Infinity and I'm less sad

Yee

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Saint Drogo posted:

all effortposts should be probatable.

It is really weird to want a moratorium on long, thought out posts. We can all get really passionate about Games Workshop (both for and against, granted) so sometimes we can't help but let our passion for the Hobby free.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

nopantsjack posted:

AoS got a couple things right:

Pretty good value

I absolutely agree. Them giving us a basically free game with literally free rules for all my old models was really awesome! It may not be my favorite game I have ever play but it showed me that GW still had a lot to offer the hobby, and still is willing to pioneer new concepts.

I am so excited to see what 8th has in store! :)

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Mango Polo posted:

- "A good model", Avenging Dentist

@_@

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Broken Record Talk posted:

What can I say, I'm more of an rear end man.

It is something modern 40k sculpts need. Maybe when they do new Xenos :sigh:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Mango Polo posted:

??? all of the red butts are in 40k

:gay:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

panascope posted:

"Surely you can do better" - Count Dooku, Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones

The purple lightsaber irks me because I always thought your lightsaber color meant something. Blue was courageous and active, green was wise and patient, and red was just pure dag-nasty evil. Then George Lucas asked Samuel L. Jackson was lightsaber color he wanted for Mace Windu and told him for Jedi it was either blue or green. He literally just asked for purple on the fly and now because of this, it completely throws any meaning to a Jedi’s lightsaber color out the window!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

This is what happens when you let loving casuals proxy armies. If you can't afford the real deal, you can't afford to play. If you don't like the official models, you have bad taste and I don't want to be your friend.

If you can get away with a purple lightsaber, it's probably going to be a bad film trilogy.

I am glad this forum had a block function! I can't believe such an ignorant person exists in this sub forum. Actually I can.

*block*

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Remember 20 to 30 years ago when they used to have those Pepsi challenges? I would do it every time and could always tell the difference between the Pepsi and Coke. The Pepsi was always identifiable as it was too sweet. I worked up quite the fascination with Coke around the time they came up with Coke Classic. I hated that New Coke, as it tasted like Pepsi, too sweet. Fearing I was drinking too much of he Coke Classic, I switched to Diet Coke as I couldn't stand it. Now, I have an even unhealthier addiction to Diet Coke. I drink one or two a night and feel like a drug addict once I finally get it going through my system. I even drink it in my mixed drinks. Rum and Diet Coke with a Lime is my preferred drink. I can tell every time I order it and get Diet Pepsi mixed in instead. It's too sweet. Today I tried a Diet Pepsi product for the first time in my life that isn't too sweet. **The Find** While grocery shopping today I found a display with small sample size (12 oz.) bottles of Diet Pepsi Max. Right on the bottle it calls itself an "invigorating cola." Okay, that intrigued me. It was only 50 cents for this sample bottle, so I thought, alright I'll try it. The "invigorating" thing got to me. It reminded me of my fascination with Diet Coke and had me questioning if this was the target audience. **The Taste** I opened up the Diet Pepsi Max and tried it on my way home from the store. Lo and behold, it wasn't bad! There was just a tiny, tiny little resemblance to that familiar Pepsi sweetness. And there was quite the "invigorating" bite to it. It really did remind me of the boldness of a Diet Coke. **Conclusion** While I still remain faithful to my Diet Coke, Diet Pepsi Max is the first close second I have found. If it was on sale, I just might consider buying it instead of Diet Coke.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

The only way to eat a hotdog is to throw it out and get a sausage instead. Then eat it with hot peppers and mustard.

Sausage Dog is love.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

berzerkmonkey posted:

My [ ] girlfriend

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Captain Rufus posted:

Please stop all being knobheads in this thread and have fun pro or con GW.

:cool:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

I fell behind and just caught up all at once. Way too many things I wanted to reply to in great detail and at this point attempting to do so would not work out well so I'll just post some random stream-of-thought responses based on my undoubtedly poor and rapidly fading recollection of all the garbage I just kind of halfassedly read and mostly skimmed through.

all hobbies are luxuries
gw has made some good decisions lately but their legacy of bad decisions has built up such an enormous backlog of poo poo that it's going to take a lot more than one year of a minor improvement in the ratio of good to bad decisions to shovel through it all
age of sigmor is a bad game that has made gw lots of money. making more money doesn't make it good. good for stockholders maybe but nobody should buy gw stock.
gw's miniatures are made with a very high production standard. that is one measure of quality.
gw's miniatures in the last few years seem to mostly be sculpted by committee, using a lot of digital tools and not much artistic merit. depending on what you want out of them, that might matter a lot to you, or not at all.
everyone who uses the phrase "the hobby" to refer to anything specific to GW is probably too far gone to help
if you regurgitate the arguments of idiots you're not trolling, you're just supporting idiots. if you want to trick someone by saying something that nobody should believe could come out of your mouth, you'll need to better establish your reputation as not an idiot first
the artistic merit of a miniature is important if you're evaluating it as a work of art.
the functional purpose of a game piece is to work as a game piece, and that's the way it should be evaluated
when you're using nominal works of art as game pieces, you have competing priorities that may not be well aligned
gws miniatures are a problem in part because they often put artistic merit above game function, but then still fail as works of art.
if you just want to play a game, proxying anything that works as the game piece should be completely fine with everyone. If you want to build a vignette that tells a story by assembling works of art, then thematic and artistic consistency with the works of art may be important to you.
if your goal is just to test the purity of your fellow players' devotion to your tribe, insisting on brand loyalty is a convenient filtering mechanism

infinity minis are well sculpted but the company has a serious mysogyny problem
amusingly though, they're getting better about it recently, which is exactly the argument gw defenders in this thread are pushing to justify continuing to support gw
but infiniti is bad because it's too anime, and I think you will find that anime is bad

malifaux is too goth

warmahordes is too steep of a learning curve to learn all the intricate nonintuitive tricks, you can't play by just attacking with your dudes or whatever

they're all three just ridiculously better games than warhammer though, like it's not even close

gw is still a bad company, let me count a few of the ways
they have a useless chain of stores that cost them too much money to run, and pass those costs on to the consumers through higher product markups
like seriously you still can't count on a one-man gw store to be open during reasonable hours, have room to play games in, have products you want in stock, or have a sales person available to help you if a single (1) other customer got there a little before you did
they are still routinely increasing prices on ancient kits instead of what literally every other company on earth does, which is discount old product
they still abuse independent stockists
they renamed a ton of their stuff to really stupid names in a completely misguided attempt to protect IP. this does not actually protect their IP in any way more than it was before, and no, they're not even using them to register as trademarks (of course they aren't, that would be ridiculously expensive)
the former horrible ceo is still clinging to the company's executive board, and being paid for it, like a bloated leech, and it shows
the company's website is a laughingstock. it functions only as a web store, and fails in many amusing ways at even doing that. it does little or nothing to introduce the company's products in a coherent or accessible way, goes out of its way to present products based not on suitability but price, is not the location of what minimal social engagement the company deigns to do, and constantly decides you're not in the country you are in.
the company's policy of never having sales runs contrary to a century of business evolution
the company still seems to evaluate its products solely based on sales figures, while ignoring critical factors that affect those sales like: recency of the item's release, utility of the item in their own games, price vs utility, the degree to which customers feel embarassed even picking up the item in a store because of its name, and more
the company still has no debt, which sounds fine until you consider the annual impact of missed opportunities to invest up front in something that would pay off long term. there is a reason virtually all public and most private companies borrow, it's literally why corporations exist in the first place (to raise investments while shielding the company owners from the financial risk of being ruined if the company's risks don't pan out).
gw is still not taking advantage of the enormous success of the total war: warhammer game to sell physical games and miniatures products to a large set of potential new customers, even though the game came out like a year ago now or something
gw's annual conventions are still just massive sales events where nothing is actually on discount and you pay to get in
the magazines still suck and are again just ads you pay for that give you nothing you couldn't have gotten in a blog post or by browsing their web store (ok I guess at least the magazine remembers your country preference from one visit to the next, lol)
gw as far as I know still has pretty terrible/abusive policies towards its employees. you still have to basically act like you're joining a cult to get hired, you will be paid terribly, and you will either burn out quickly or be fired due to failing to meet wildly unrealistic sales quotas
gw is still charging more for its products in australia and new zealand than it costs to buy them in the UK and ship them to australia and new zealand, even after currency conversion inefficiencies, for absolutely no fathomable reason. it clearly doesn't even help them make more money in those countries. And they still go out of their way to prevent anyone from engaging in the obviously huge arbitrage opportunity this presents, by going after any online retailer sending products internationally to those countries
oh yeah you can't advertise a discount on gw's products online, becuase that would compete with their always-full-price webstore. For some reason this approach basically works, because people buy a lot of gw products at full price direct from their webstore even though you can always get them at a discount from an online retailer if you're willing to jump through the hoops necessary to place an order with them
gw still doesn't test and revise its games rules with actual players, just in house, and the results are obvious
gw's facebook page is a joke
gw's got no forums
gw's free easy rules aren't free or easy or sometimes even rules
gw's rules writers still haven't learned how to write unambiguous rules
gw's approach to attracting girls and women to play their games is still hilariously nonexistent, because their sales figures say only boys and men buy their stuff, so obviously that's just how things are
gw is lazily cashing in on some of its ancient games' lingering popularity by republishing them without even the most desultory attempt to make them be good games in the modern era, and for some reason it works because of I don't know, either nostalgia, or people just want the models and it's the only option for getting them at less than full gw packaged retail?
gw's settings no longer work as satire directed at the thatcher administration or the horrors of the cold war but the company cannot seem to find the ability or will or maybe just desire to make its fiction relevant to modern concerns like maybe terrorism or populism or global warming or something

I could keep going but who cares. I'm sure someone will disagree with all of these points and feel free to type three thousand words refuting them but I don't care. Today the really sweet outdoor semiferal cat we occasionally see and feed when we see him limped up to my patio bloody and with a broken jaw and weighing like four pounds, matted in his own piss, and between the $250 the cat rescue people threw in and the $350 I put in, we have enough money just to find out if his jaw can be wired (he'll have a shot at making it with a month or three of intensive care in my bathroom) or not (we can't pony up for reconstructive surgery with a metal plate, that's thousands of dollars, so he's done).

In one day we've spent more on a cat someone abandoned than I've spent in the last 20 years on GW products. If he dies tonight it will have been money better spent because at least he's getting painkillers and sedation instead of slowly starving to death under a bush somewhere.

If you are thinking of spending a pile of money on the latest horseshit from GW, that is your choice of course, but perhaps I can encourage you to give some money to your local animal rescue and just play with the toys you already have for a while.

Same

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

TTerrible posted:

I'm probably going to get dogpiled for doing this but it has gone on long enough.

:siren: ATTENTION DEATH THREAD POSTERS :siren:

For the past two days you have been arguing with posts blindly copy pasted from Bolter and Chainsword. Multiple people have tried to tell you this but you have willfully ignored it. Did you not wonder why the arguments were disjointed and contradictory?! What is wrong with you. Good loving god.

Who will be the first to post "hurr I was only pretending to be retarded"? Who will be first to bravely claim they knew all along? Will we have a puppetmaster?

:vince:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

The Deleter posted:

Oh man I wondered what was going on here. Jeez, guys.

Question: with the amount of detail 40k has in regards to treatment of individual models, detail in statlines, etc, would massively reducing army sizes make any difference? For example, the contents of a start collecting box would be a whole army. I suspect no, but I've always looked at the tables crammed with models and wondered how on earth anyone is meant to move tactically (or at all) like that.

I also just want Dawn of War 2 the tabletop game.

This is part of why people are excited for Shadow Wars Armageddon.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

panascope posted:

So now that we've got all that out of our systems, can we acknowledge that Games Workshop, like the Star Wars prequels, is actually Quite Good?

There are many good things about Episode One through Three. There are many good things about GW.

I would love to find out more about the economic systems in place during the Republic Era.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

I like Gorkamorka.

This is the thing that should bring everyone together.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

nopantsjack posted:

Is there a good mad Max style tabletop game? It seems like a vehicle skirmish game that encourages kitbashing would own bomes.

Gorkamorka?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Hixson posted:

I'm glad the kitty is doing well

Same

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Hey, if you guys just want to play a good game and don't have the financial power to play 40k with the big boys, just get into historicals like every cost conscious Grog throughout gaming history.

Perry Brothers plastics are incredible, and frankly everyone should play Sharp Practice 2.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Bad Decision Dino posted:

I cannot wait to forge this exciting narrative.

Gorkamorka?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

I don't think Gorkamorka had virus bombs or vortex grenades.

Well maybe not, but as an Ork player why would you ever want to play a different game?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Numlock posted:

Your not a real grog until you make a post complaining about a box of plastic mans with 30 beautiful 28mm dudes (enough for your whole force) costs $40 when back in 1996 you could buy a box of 40 metal ones that looked like errect turds for $35.

I welcome the inevitable slide into Napoleonics that happens as a gamer gains maturity.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Thirsty Dog posted:

autistic screeching

:blush:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

TKIY posted:

It is now official. Leperflesh has confirmed: *GW is good

:grin:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Terrible Opinions posted:

Don't you still play 40k? I have some bad news for you son. You are paying a premium price for an unforgivably buggy game if yes.

I don't know... GORKAMORKA seems to play just fine.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

You can't timg a whole gallery on imgur.

Here's your link:
http://m.imgur.com/gallery/g4QIAr7

and here's the image:

:3:

• Locked thread