Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zootopia was pretty much the tops of animated this year but it was overall a strong year with a lot of great films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Das Boo posted:

Zootopia was cute, but I admit I'm a little baffled at how highly it's regarded here.

It's well-animated, well-acted, has a lot of care put into it, has an actual message that is at once coherent and willing to approach sensitive subjects with somewhat more maturity than most animated films, and in general I think it hits almost everything right.

In comparison Kubo (which is probably my #2 for the year) is a lot messier and gets by purely on its very strong artistry. No other animated film this year feels anywhere as complete to me as Zootopia did.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Haledjian posted:

I finally saw Moana. Really liked some parts (Maui rules, the crab rules) but in a lot of it (especially the first act) I had a sense of the hero's journey story beats conspicuously clunking into place and it didn't really resonate with me emotionally. Lin Manuel-Miranda did a good job but the dude has an awful habit of going for the most cringeworthy/obvious rhymes (please never rhyme "oh" with "yo" again please).

I don't know--I was kind of assuming it was going to be a lock for the best animated feature nomination, because it has a princess and songs, but now I'm not so sure.

The best animated this year is gonna be a tight one honestly but there aren't many I imagine getting the nom and I would be *upset* at winning.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

General Dog posted:

I don't think Zootopia was an especially inspired story or concept, but it was the best possible realization of that story and concept, if that makes sense. It was exquisitely made within the confines of modest ambitions.

I don't really agree entirely on this.

I think a Zootopia that wasn't ambitious would have resolved itself where the second act ends up, with Judy and Nick becoming friends and everything pretty hunky dory after they get over their odd couple shenanigans and resolves the issues pretty pat. The fact that it's actually willing to basically go "Hey, y'know, prejudice isn't just overt racism and it's entirely possible for someone who is otherwise good to hold kind of crappy beliefs without thinking about it" is something I consider ambitious in an era where a lot of films that aren't aimed at families of all ages wouldn't bother to go that extra step, let alone something like Zootopia's basic concept. It's not a mind-blowing film that will change the universe or anything but I think that extra element helps it at least feel more meaningful.

It still has an overall happy ending that probably wraps things up a little too neatly but I don't think that's an inherent flaw really. I'm not expecting a kid's film to end with someone dying to show the futility of love or something.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 28, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Koramei posted:

My biggest takeaway from Zootopia a year later is that it feels like a kid's movie. Which it is, to be fair, and it's a really great kids movie. It explores racism and prejudice with nuance in a way that's digestible to kids, it pushes new ground there in a way that's lovely to see a mainstream studio do. But then the rest is a fairly generic plot and villain and a menagerie of one-scene joke animals. The humor in general just feels immature relative to most Disney stuff, just reliant on quick pop culture gags and stuff.

The message is spectacularly done but it's really the only part of the movie that I think deserves the "wow!!" people keep giving it here. Detach that from it and it's... alright.

I don't really see Zootopia's jokes as any more immature than any recent Disney movies to be honest. I certainly wouldn't say it's any less mature than Moana or Dory which came out the same year. Moana has less pop culture jokes but I think that's largely due to a change in setting. It's certainly not any less mature than the pretty blatant jokes in Wreck It Ralph (which is Pop Culture Jokes Aplenty being a video game film) or stuff like the Trolls in Frozen. There are jokes I found weak (I wasn't big on the nudist animal segment) but no moreso than in any recent Disney animated feature. YMMV naturally but it certainly didn't feel out of place with Disney's recent output to me.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 28, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Perfect double feature: Hot Fuzz and Zootopia

Hot Fuzzy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Haven't there been like 2-3 MLP movies already? I don't know much I just remember seeing ads for one where they are all bizarrely colored Doug humans.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zootopia only every time there is an animal joke it's Zootopia again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

Oh please, today's controversies are so low-effort. Remember when protesters used to stand outside of theatres because they found a particular film offensive? Those were the good old days.

Well, that used to be the only way to get noticed. Nowadays you can attack writers/actors/directors on social media nonstop until they leave forever from the safety of your own home. much more effective.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Zootopia takes place in the same world as other Disney features, but it's after biological warfare wipes out the human race and gives animals advanced mental facilities.

It's true. You see a character selling historical documentaries as acted out by animals attempting to piece it together from what little information they can find.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Drifter posted:

You guys can't have CARS and Zootopia BOTH take place in the same universe where Humans have died out. :smh:

Sure we can. We only see one country in Zootopia, not the world.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shadow Hog posted:

Probably the transition period between it and Zootopia, where some people still wear shoes and some still don't wear pants (e.g., Donald). Pretty sure the monarchy's already been abolished by this point, at least.

I believe you'll find that Completely Canonical Game Kingdom Hearts makes it clear that Micky and Minnie are King and Queen.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pick posted:

Tim Curry is not that great, and he cannot and does not save that piece of poo poo.

Woah, woah. Let's not say things about Tim Curry we can't take back.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Haledjian posted:

I saw the portfolio of an ILM guy who said he'd hand-UV mapped and hand-painted every single scale on Rattlesnake Jake.

Which is I guess impressive but also why the hell would you ever do that

Because you can.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Simba's Pride wins a small cigar just for wrangling a decent performance out of Andy Dick.

Andy Dick can pull some genuinely good performances. He is just an odious human being.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Boxman posted:

Entertainment Weekly has a first-look at Cars 3, and if the thesis of Cars was "people ignore what made Route 66 great," the thesis of Cars 3 might be "Millennials are brats."

The Millennial thing seems to be some editorializing from EW, but you have to think Pixar signed off on it. If this isn't about those gosh darned millennials and their sense of entitlement it feels like this movie's villain is just Lightning from the first movie. Either way this doesn't seem great?

I hope the reveal is that Lightning McQueen has grown into an old meaningless racist and he realizes at the end when his family have all abandoned them because he keeps saying horrible things about foreign cars.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shadow Hog posted:

He then somehow becomes president.

I said his family abandons him, not that he tries to gently caress them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DrakePegasus posted:

It should also be mentioned that these characters are actually voiced by Keith David and the late Rowdy Rodney Piper.

I wonder how often they've been asked to do that considering they did the exact same thing in Saint's Row.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kubo is absolutely the more impressive of the two on a sheer artistic level (though I don't think Zootopia is a slouch there) but yeah, it's much weaker on a plot and theme level. That isn't bad and I wouldn't be upset in the slightest if Kubo won, but I genuinely believe Zootopia's the stronger film in everything but visuals and it isn't a bad film in terms of visuals, just hard to match Kubo's mastery.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think it's just that Disney is such an insanely dominant force in the movie industry that it kind of stands out.

I mean of the top 5 grossing films this year all are Disney-backed. (Captain America, Dory, Zootopia, Jungle Book and Rogue One.) That's insane.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fangz posted:

Dang, I just realised that Moana is structurally a palindrome.

Could you clarify what you mean? I'm a bit curious but don't quite get it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

I can't believe it's legal for a company to flat-out not offer any paid sick leave.

Man, I've literally never worked anywhere that offers paid sick leave. The idea is that you're thankful they don't fire you for taking time off instead.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Correction, every 2D Disney move had their own aesthetic.

All of their recent 3D efforts (Tangled, Frozen, Big Hero 6, Moana) are very similar in style and animation techniques. They each have individual focus (Frozen has it's snow and ice, BH6 is all about lighting, Moana is water and hair) but the underlying groundwork is the same.

Why does Zootopia not count as a recent 3D effort from Disney?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Sir Patrick Stewart, we have a role for you!" "Hm, well, I don't know, I'm a bit strapped for ti" "Sir Stewart, we want you to be a talking piece of poo poo." "... Where do I sign?"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

Japan doesnt give a poo poo about Voltron. It was some also-ran garbage but in the US and other places it was the only game in town.

Yeah, in Japan it was a wildly different series called GoLion which basically ran and was forgotten, especially because it was basically a "Me too" for combining robot mecha of which were a dime a dozen at the time it came out. Since it was the only one we really got in the US however it became entrenched with our idea of what a combining super robot is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I don't have netflix. Is Voltron a show as good or better as Korra?

So far I'd say on average it's better but it's neither as bad as Korra's low moments or as good as Korra's high moments. It's a lot less ambitious as well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Claw and Otter.

It's a unlikely buddy cop comedy between Clawhauser and Emmet Otterton.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Roxanne was just a human woman wearing a fake nose to hide herself among the Goofs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shadow Hog posted:

Eyes got swapped, from the looks of it. Surprisingly, that small change makes a rather unsubtle difference.

The eyesets were swapped but not the eye colors. It stands out more on Nick than Judy because of the eyelashes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unmature posted:

Researching John Kricfalusi after this week's events is making me feel really gross.

This week's events? I googled and I'm not sure what you mean.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, Zootopia absolutely deserves the Oscar this year, but Kubo deserves the visual effect award. That would be the best outcome.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eat the eggs, John K.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Personally I'm just cheesed that they made a movie about Pacific Islander Prometheus and then were like "no, actually, stealing fire for mankind was stupid and selfish, go apologize to the Gods" because it's Disney and of course they did.

That isn't really what they did at all, and in fact stealing fire from down below is explicitly one of the "you're welcome" things on Maui's list.

Maui stole a living creature's heart and condemned them to torment mostly because he wanted to and not for any greater goal. It gets glossed over because Maui basically doesn't belong in Moana as a character but helping humanity isn't shown to be a bad thing, it's the fact he does it for selfish and shortsighted reasons that is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

K. Waste posted:

That's the thing. There already was a 'no name' studio version of Zootopia, it was called Cats Don't Dance.

Warners Brothers and Turner Entertainment are no-name studios now?

Edit: Also CDD was barely promoted because it was a victim of the merge, which isn't really the same thing as getting ignored.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Ratchet and Clank sucks.

It really shouldn't, the game franchise manages to be fairly charming and even the licensed tie-in game is, but somehow the movie is just this bland dumb slog.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be fair I have a sort of instinctive loathing of every single one of those designs except Poppy so that is probably for the best.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shadow Hog posted:

Just wait for Zootwopia to cover the (apparently designed but unused) Outback District, I'm sure that won't make you cringe at all!

In terms of stereotypes or "oh god why does that exist?"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hemingway To Go! posted:

In that game why is nick on model and Judy a bean

There are two kinds of characters in Disney Infinity. Characters you play as using a model and secondary characters who are simplified bean character and just there to be AI assistants or whatever.

21 Muns posted:

Because she's a female, and therefore secondary, character

It's just because they were using the Nick model. There's a Judy one too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

There's something really creepy about how the bean characters all make the same motions at the same time.

Yeah, they're supposed to be... cute or something and I just found them creepy and unnerving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Actually a lot of the Skylanders play the same just about, just the visuals are different.

Yeah, in the last Skylanders game the gimmick was literally 'create your own" (from one of a small set of classes with barebones customization options.)