Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I witnessed GE sign off on unlimited operations for a CF6-80 that ran at flight idle for over two hours on a mixture of ~30% MobilJet II and 70% Skydrol. Jet engines give no fucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ded posted:

I have been through that area and it is very heavy with shipping. My boat was nearly run over a few times in that area.

Transiting shipping lanes to port on the surface at night in a submarine is pretty much the last thing I'd ever want to do at sea.

Except maybe shark cage diving.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Just listened to a line cook at Chipotle tell all his coworkers how awesome it's going to be to start nuke school after he ships out for basic in a couple months.

His coworkers laughed at him.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ManMythLegend posted:

My last ship was an FFG whose whole combat suite was built around UYK-7's. One of the troubleshooting steps for a loss of the UYK-7 was to remove it's CCA drawer, hold it at, "approximately shoulder height," and drop it straight down to the deck.

No I'm not joking.

The kinetic re-rack is an ancient, but effective repair procedure.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It blows my mind that the military runs a last-minute logistics chain on aircraft spares. Like, it's cheaper when run properly, yes, but it doesn't take kindly to interference like other people trying to break your stuff and kill your people.

I had more flight-critical spares at a fly-by-night part 135 cargo airline than what I hear is standard from some acquaintances in the local ANG squadron.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Godholio posted:

Whidbey is already claiming responsibility and that the crew will suffer.

I hope they suffer not having to buy drinks for awhile.

As fun goes, that's pretty loving harmless. Of course, it probably means that their military flying careers are over. :(

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Why in the name of gently caress is a seawater feed pump using the same oil supply as the main engines?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

lightpole posted:

Think she was built on Sunrise Shipyards and is a sister ship or similar design to the Matsonia, if you ever reach Oakland. The hull would be fine but I know on the Matsonia they replaced entire decks, around the evap, the contaminated steam generator and elsewhere. The piping was probably rotten as well. 6 months or so before this, the 2nd on the Matsonia managed to drop the water level in the boilers while blowing tubes and lost the plant. It took them like 2-3 days to get it back online due to trouble shifting back to the main buss from the ESB. The Matsonia was also lengthened. Ship is rather stiff for a container ship and a narrower beam than you would be used to.

They also had the oil in the main sump pretty low and the suction piping wasn't midships. When they came up to switch the list and get the scuttle closed they lost LO suction. No propulsion in that and you're done.

I know its going to vary wildly between different classes of ship (and even between individual ships,) but what's a rough average sustainable list for the propulsion plant on a ship? I know 15-20° is waaaaay into shits-going-poorly territory, but I kinda figured that ships would be engineered to keep running even in that kind of situation. My knowledge of steam plants is limited to the bolted-to-the-ground variety.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ded posted:

Now imagine a 53 degree down angle.

Now I'm imagining the Global Force For Good tagline playing over some poor schlub scrubbing boot prints off the bulkhead.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Punch it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

orange juche posted:

The Austal offering of an LCS is a joke and probably should not be taken seriously.

Say it three times, I dare you.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

shovelbum posted:

Steam is so useful shoreside that it's probably hard to get genuinely experienced steam guys to go back to sea after however many decades of Navy I would think.

Steam is alive and well in power generation. Even natural gas combustion turbines are almost always combined-cycle units with a waste-heat-driven steam plant.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

There were B-26’s at Midway, but I don’t think there were actually any B-25s within a couple hundred miles during the real battle.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ded posted:

HY-80(ish)

HY-Maybe80

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Wonder Free posted:

When I transferred from the Navy to NOAA they gave me my own laptop and an iPad mini with Foreflight and cell data. It was... confusing? I was blown away after 8 years of sharing two computers amongst the wardroom and having a fleet of PFPS and JMPS laptops nobody knew how to update or connect to the network.

Hey, are you just on the P-3, or do you fly the Gulfstream as well?

Between amazon and ya’ll, the FAA went ahead and made Lakeland tower a 24hr operation. In 2020. The worst timeline.

It might be the only expansion of service I see in my career.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MrMojok posted:

Make Fish Names Great Again!

SSN-804 will be named "Barb"

:black101:

gently caress yes.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nick Soapdish posted:

If you're visiting Texas, take the time to drive out to Fredericksburg and visit the Pacific War Museum. During season, we went out there for heritage and it was really awesome

+1 on this, it’s a fantastic museum.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

lightpole posted:

…cause we hit a whale.

This is something I’ve always wondered about. Does this happen often with ships and submarines, or is it more infrequent?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Godholio posted:

Apparently today was the first cut of steel for USS Doris Miller.

:hai:

A rare good move in USN ship-naming.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PookBear posted:

IIRC that's a really young tom hardy

Tom Hardy was the one who gets caught with the German girl towards the end of the series, and dies in a jeep accident just after the war ends.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Wingnut Ninja posted:

About two days later I get a call from the folks over at a different office asking why a particular system of theirs is offline. It turned out that they had, without any kind of documentation, installed their server in the [obsolete system] rack, which otherwise supported a completely different purpose. I assured them that, whatever it is, it's been properly handled, but it's now in another state so someone is going to have to go get it back.

Forensic network management.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Goldwater and Reagan would be run out of today's GOP on an electrified rail.

loving Dubya is making those assholes uncomfortable nowadays.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

orange juche posted:

I got a dude I work with who hasn't gotten the jab, I asked him what his plan is, and he said NEET. I was loving incredulous, you're going to replace a 100k a year job with loving nothing? You can't collect unemployment if you don't get jabbed I am pretty sure. Did you ask your wife about this? Good loving lord where the gently caress do you think you're going to work, and how long do you think you'll be able to crash on someone's couch? Everywhere is going to get mandated if they're more than 100 employees.

Brilliant dude but fucks sake torpedoing his job to own da libz.

I have an old-payscale Operations Manager (so, guesstimate ~$180k/yr gross after locality and everything) who seems to be convinced that they’re going to be able to pick up a similar salary in the private sector (where no one is hiring without proof of vaccination.)

:byewhore:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Your choices are Washington, Oregon, California, Hawaii, and Alaska.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

SquirrelyPSU posted:

It was a mechanical relay.

A problem that persisted until the advent of transistors, and a pain in my rear end for the duration of my enlistment. Fun fact: The use of of a rubber mallet to give a love tap to the side of the offending cabinet was not an uncommon occurrence and also not urban legend.

Percussive maintenance is a time-honored tradition in pretty much every mechanical/electrical/electronic field.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Holy poo poo the guy lighting the engine with a zippo.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Godholio posted:

Same Customs office had a former AWACS crewmember who love to do stupid poo poo like pull interior panels off E-3s returning from overseas, because he "knows where people stash stuff." He never found a loving thing worse than a kinder egg.

The best places to smuggle stuff on an airplane aren’t inside the cabin of the airplane.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I’m but a dumb civilian, and one who’s never been to sea on anything larger than a dive boat to boot, but how the hell do you mathematically quantify morale?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Arione posted:

My guy, you are drinking the wrong mai tais. In fact they probably arent even actual mai tais. There is absolutely zero fruit juice in a maitai, only 1 oz of citrus (lime)

2 ounces of 17-year-old J. Wray Nephew Jamaican Rum ( any aged gold rum will do, I prefer Zacapa XO or diplomatico blue)
½ ounce Holland De Kuyper Orange Curaçao (contreau is a better substitute)
½ ounce French Garnier Orgeat (almond syrup, sold as orgeat syrup in most higher end liquor stores usually by finest call or trader vic's DO NOT BUY TORANI ALMOND)
¼ ounce Rock Candy Syrup (made your own simple syrup, but use rock sugar instead of granulated)
Juice from one whole lime

Rock candy syrup is typically just 3:1 simple syrup. I make mine with demerara sugar for a hint of molasses flavor. You can also make your own orgeat if you’re a psycopath; It’s just fresh-pressed almond milk made into a 2:1 simple syrup. (Adjust your syrup to account for the liquid you used to make the almond milk.)

Also, strong recommend for Smith and Cross rum.

Why yes I’m on a slippery slope, why do you ask?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Mr. Nice! posted:

The infrared picked up the poo as it flew out of him.

If the contractor that makes that sensor doesn’t use that footage in their product reel, they are loving up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Crab Dad posted:

Seems rather small for a tug. Did no mention of mechanical issues get announced?