Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Ice Cream Barbara posted:

gently caress you if you're still in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

FAT BATMAN posted:

Hi I'm a civilian w a friend in the army and I lurked the last thread and every time there was a post about something stupid in the army I told them about it and I think they're thoroughly convinced to gtfo and not re-up. Thanks army thread. Tharmy.

lol at the idea that someone whos still in would actually need convincing to gtfo

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

cav is just infantry with gay hats and boots

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Is there anything y'all don't rag the poo poo out of

gently caress you if you are still in.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

psydude posted:

I can't wait to see Mustang's mood change after he gets back from Iran in two years. Granted, his PL time will be done by then, so he'll probably be a super salty company XO who spent his deployment figuring out what to do with all of the vehicles wrecked by EFPs and arguing with the BMO about whose responsibility it is to scrub out the human remains.

Lol has mustang not been an XO yet?

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Vahakyla posted:

Obviously I just enlisted but it's pretty funny how the generation of post-Gulf peacetime Army vets tries to rag on the generation that basically deployed to shooty shooty wars from 2001 all the way to like yesterday.

Vets from the Gulf War are the loving worst. All branches.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Mustang posted:

VCing a Stryker through Snoqualmie pass while having snow dumped on top of you is not a very pleasant experience

Why is an officer VCing a stryker? Also try doing it at -35 bitch.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

The Rat posted:

Since when? Every Stryker I was ever in had its own dedicated VC. Granted the PL/PSG/SL would be popping out the other front hatch, but still.

PLs just stood in the squad leader's hatch for their vehicle, but never VC'd.

Just sit your rear end down if you are cold.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

The Rat posted:

:downs:

Didn't realize cav had it different than infantry.

They dont, they just use the terminology wrong.

The VC is the guy who stays in the truck when you dismount, not the PL. Doesnt matter if you are Cav or not.

You always have a dedicated VC regardless of how undermanned you are, you arent leaving a driver alone in a vehicle lol.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Naked Bear posted:

That's what the gunner is for. I don't know how you wacky infantry guys do things, but when you have a whopping four guys on a truck and one of them is an officer, he's gonna be the TC and his rear end is also gonna dismount. The gunner and driver stay on. The truck belongs to the gunner.

The gunner is the VC as you just pointed out, not the PL PSG or squad leader.

Also if cav really deploys with strykers that undermanned they are even gayer and more stupid than I thought. Whole platoon dismounts and you have a squad on the ground?

Obstacle2 fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Mar 8, 2017

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

TBeats posted:

False. VC dismounts all the time. Driver stays with gunner.

The gunner is the VC.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Mustang posted:

A qualified crew for strykers is actually just driver and gunner.

Regardless of whether you're cav, infantry, artillery or whatever the VC is the ranking soldier on that Stryker, doesn't matter if you dismount or not.

I'm dumb as hell for arguing this but you are totally wrong and should take a look at a FM.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man
Maintenance sucks but honestly does it suck more than whatever you would be doing otherwise? Being on a vehicle crew in garrison is the best.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Mike-o posted:

Bailes? Is 2 SBCT what used to be 5 SBCT? Because that's what I was in and yeah lol war crimes brigade.

I think he means 2 SBCT in 2nd ID out of Ft Lewis. You know, the post that got exposed for overturning people's PTSD diagnoses just before all the kill team poo poo came out.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man
This was my brigade https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_of_Danny_Chen

Glad I ETS'd before that deployment.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Vahakyla posted:

So I got 54th Combat Engineer Battalion as my sub unit in 173rd, and am about to get some sort of cool award at the end of AIT. FTX was cool, and soon I'm off to airborne school. And my best battlebro got Italy, too!

I'm really enjoying the Army!
However I broke my fibia on my right side, so gotta hope it won't give in at the airborne school.

I would've preferred infantry or scouts, but atleast BEB is not BSB or HQ Company.

The four dudes who got flight medic spots before me deserved them. Two regular flight medics, two SOAR candidates. All four really badass dudes and dudettes, one of them being the first female SOAR Medic Candidate that I have a privilege to call as friend. All honestly better picks than me.

Reading this make my feel physically ill. Whose shoe will drop first, Mustang or Vahakyla?

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

When I got to my unit they were already deployed and the Rear-D guys took all of the replacements into a basement and smoked the poo poo out of us every day after we were released while calling us pieces of poo poo for like the first two months. I'm guessing thats not allowed anymore now though.

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I wish I could go back to when I thought a coin, COA, or AAM was a cool award and not a slap in the face

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Pesticide20 posted:

Vahakayla. He's going Airborne. The 173rd, although not 82nd gay, is still super gay. He may not have been assigned to an infantry battalion, but that just means they'll be extra gay to make up for the fact.

I wonder if the Asian kid from my old brigade that killed himself in a guard tower in Afghanistan because of insanely bad hazing got a cool reward at the end of AIT too.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

dude is looking forward to the worst hat. you're army as gently caress lol.

lol

I got some cool awards too in Iraq and this is what my company did for months after we got back. Our hats were black though so ymmv.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2eHPgD7dK0

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

you were actually in that unit?

Yes I'm the guy after the one who rubs his dick.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Mustang posted:

Eastern and Northern Yakima is pretty country during the spring. Off road maneuver at night with almost no illum in a Stryker is loving terrifying though

It won't be scary when you have a driver that doesn't suck. Experienced drivers can do a lot with that little IR camera.

Alternatively you could miss a bridge in Iraq and plummet off a cliff like the brigade tac that replaced us did.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Mustang posted:

I have the best driver in the Platoon and even during the day I have him turn the DVE on so I can see where we're going if I'm duck down for whatever reason. The DVE is great but you can't always see holes and ditches etc through them.

Best driver out of four drivers? He might be good but unfortunately the only way to get good is by deploying as a driver and no one deploys as a driver and stays a driver in garrison.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

what was the reason you guys had to hang out in cages again?

besides lol army

Not allowed to leave the company area, all the NCOs just sat in the offices all day. Eventually someone complained and we got yelled at for not doing more training. So, still not being able to leave the company area to actually do training, we continued to sit there.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Mustang posted:

Guess who gets to go back out to Yakima to be an OC for some other units training

Whats the matter Mustang?

One day of combat lovely Army FTX and you're all wore out?

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

you probably should know how to fight (IE run like gently caress) armored units though because you're a hell of a target for them. If they have you guys doing defilades to actually fight them and poo poo though...

did they every start fielding the Strykers with the 105s? Last I heard they tipped over if firing perpendicular to the truck but IDK I don't keep up with this poo poo.

They fielded them almost a decade ago. They work just fine, they have really nice optics on them and don't tip over. Their advantage against tanks (lol) would have to come from their superior optics and range which I doubt is going to happen.

Strykers own and its hard to believe that Mustang's maintenance stuff is so hosed up. Army mechanics were doing almost all of the work on our Strykers in garrison and deployed around 2008-2009 in Alaska.
They are easy to fix because most serious problems can be solved by just swapping the pack.

I know the Army is retarded but no one is seriously considering sending Strykers up against tank divisions or anything.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Word, I'll admit being ignorant of the Stryker. I remember that they seemed like a hot mess like, poo poo, 10+ years ago. I didn't even realize the 105s had been fielded. I'd only ever seen the ones with the .50cal CROWS or whatever.

In Iraq people kept throwing RKG3 grenades at the MGS though because someone thought it was smart to patrol with them like you would in an ICV and no one could see poo poo because there arent enough hatches to stand out of.

Also, Mustang does your unit always have people standing out of the hatches? I remember playing opfor for the SBCT out of Hawaii in NTC and their unit was all trained to stay buttoned up so they wouldnt get shot and they ended up going to Iraq and getting hosed up.

There isn't anything better than a stryker for urban environments but the idea of trying to use them in some massive force on force battle with tanks is laughably stupid.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Mustang posted:

Yeah we always have people standing out of the hatches. One of the annoying things about having RWS's now is that gunners no longer have the situational awareness of standing up in a turret so you can't really rely on them to fight the vehicle when the VC dismounts. Scout platoons don't have enough personnel to have people solely dedicated to being VC's.

They can stand in the turrets even with the RWS i dont see the issue here. You can also switch to a free gun in seconds if you want to rambo it. When we were rolling there was someone in all the hatches and the VC was scanning with the RWS. When we dismounted, 3 stayed in the truck. Driver, VC, and one additional guy in the back hatch to pull security. (I know this wont work for you because you are hilariously undermanned) The VC scans with the camera or stands out of the hatch depending on whatever is better.

Don't knock the RWS. In actual combat the camera is extremely useful and with the storm the 50 and mk19 are point point accurate well beyond what anyone manning the gun manually would be. It really extends the effective range of those guns.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

really should go back to "these fuckers already dont give a gently caress about me" or whatever

Shim my man you don't know how good y'all had it in the USAF. I never heard anyoen in the army say they should've joined the USMC or USN but "I should have joined the USAF" was almost daily, ya'all lived the high life

probably helps being stripped of 200 years of "tradition"

lol i went to the USAF recruiting station while i was on mid tour leave to see if they would take prior service

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

when I got out hte first time I called a USAF recruiter and they called me back all excited and then I was like "I was in the Army" and that phonecall ended in about 10 seconds

yeah thats just about how my in person conversation with them went

where do you do army poo poo in idaho?

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Nothing now, I was assigned to recruit here and just kinda stayed here because I had no where else to go

I lived in Boise for a few years, it was surprisingly chill. Idaho isn't too bad.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man
When Mustang dies in Syria at least we will all be validated in our belief that the Army is eventually going to gently caress him in the rear end.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

even tho i dont actually know mustang, the idea that he might legit die in some sandy shithole like my buddies is bumming me out

Of course. No one wants Mustang to die, even if he is a noble.

If you take nothing else away from your service, the one thing we should all know is that these wars are pointless. It is pretty clear today that regardless of where you are on the political spectrum, both parties of this country are enemies of peace and are more than willing to send people to die in another utterly senseless conflict.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

TBeats posted:

So what's gonna be Cold War 2's Vietnam?

This should be pretty obvious by now.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man
Don't die please.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

TBeats posted:

Don't take this the wrong way, but you are hilariously stupid.

Lol, we all joined the army didnt we?

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Mike-o posted:

I'm kind of biased in that I like Mat Best and his youtube videos, along with Article 15 clothing (sometimes).

A buddy of mine on my Iraq deployment got completely hosed up, third degree burns and recently had to have a leg amputated. He pushed through it somehow and recovered, and is at the gym almost every day, living a better life than I am. Apparently he's good friends with all those guys that do the videos and stuff, and he's good people.....so by proxy I have this hope that the Article 15 guys are good people too. Yeah some of their poo poo is moto dumb poo poo but it seems like most of it is tongue in cheek.

Did you watch their movie? They are retarded.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man
Last time Mike melted down it was my fault too.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Mustang posted:

Depends on the day, I only have one real shitbag in my platoon that makes me have to do extra paperwork sometimes. Could all change pretty soon though I guess, getting like 10 new soldiers soon

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

psydude posted:

My back got hosed up in Afghanistan (aid station of course maintained no records) and I didn't want to do forced labor at the WTU so I made no mention of it at demob. Consequently, I've paid for all my MRIs, doctor's visits, and physical therapy out of pocket. Still, I think not being stuck on active duty raking leaves and mowing grass for 5 months was worth it.

This is stupid as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Vahakyla posted:

You know what sucks? Not being able to take your kid to ER because you don’t have insurance. And when you do have it, the stacking co-pays keep piling up. What else sucks? Wife’s long term medical issues are enough stress, but care and access to it are another. Worrying that if I get hurt tomorrow, what happens to my family and our family income? What if the owner has a bad day and randomly fires me? What if I notice a pay error, will someone help me or am I just screwed out of the pay forever? Oh look I’m in a new city and, it’ll be impossible for me to find someone to help me carry heavy stuff or help us move in. Oh no a natural disaster my family has no place to go to.

Oh wait. I actually never worry about these because I’m in the Army. I was a middle class white male with a white educated spouse living in the South and this is still better than that life, and I’d say I had a decent stable life in the past year or two leading up to this.

Its amazing how quickly some people can become institutionalized.