Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Is there a The Leftovers thread/enough people who watch it on here to support one? I just started binging my way through a few days ago and it's excellent. Makes keeping my HBO subscription on Amazon worth it on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Thanks! Must have seen the all caps Lost in the title and kept scrolling.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I just got into The Leftovers and I was reading the S1 thread. It's kind of funny seeing people bitch about plot threads being left hanging and perpetually unanswered two episodes in, when all those threads ended up having some great payoff later in the season.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

muscles like this! posted:

I think a better thing would be to say that an Entertainment Weekly promotional image looks terrible because unless it's just a cap from the show/movie they always look awful.

Yeah, I remember thinking Days of Future Past would look like hot garbage because of their promo images, but it actually all came out fantastic.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Frisky Dingo definitely infected my vocabulary with some sayings I still use seven years after I watched the drat thing.

Like "once again, the [location] has become my Waterloo"

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Is there any legitimate way to watch Mr Mercedes without having DirectTv? I want to watch it, but who the hell has DirectTV these days?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

bring back old gbs posted:

After Harry potter throwing them around willy nilly I like the idea of a magic wand being a singular fuckoff dangerous object. "Nuclear weapon that grants wishes" is a legit cool description. gently caress tha haterzzz

Yeah, that movie actually looks like it'll be legit fun to watch. I never would have expected it to be straight to Netflix from the trailer.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Snak posted:

I have that book, but I haven't read it yet. I should do that before the series come out.

It's fantastic.

Also, Iain M Banks does the opposite idea, with virtual afterlives being used as hells in Surface Detail, but you should read some other culture books before that one (they're all fantastic, and SD doesn't expect you to know anything going in, but it benefits from knowing the setting)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Tick is pretty fun.

It was like he was looking for a place to keep his knife... and no place was good enough

That and "LOOK OUT, SHE SHOOTS GLASS EYES!" had me cracking up

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Also, someone posted the Comrade Detective monopoly scene before.

I love CD, but that's not great satire. That's literally what the game of Monopoly was invented to portray.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

swickles posted:

Watching 30 Rock on Netflix and just got a "this show is on until October 1st" pop up. Looks like another staple is gone.

gently caress. That's one of my go-to background noise shows when I can't fall asleep

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

zoux posted:

The Expanse may be the best sci-fi show ever made.

It really nails what I loved about S1-part of 3 of BSG without getting too up its own rear end. It helps I enjoyed the books, but it takes enough departures that I'm still hooked.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Snak posted:

it's extra sad, because Amazon is going to stop taking chances and try for more mainstream appeal, which is super lame.

It has had some really great stuff in the last few years.

The Tick, Patriot, and Sneaky Pete are three of my five favorite shows of the last year. Amazon's stuff is fantastic.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Snak posted:

Also Jean Claude Van Johnson

The pilot for that won me over in the first few minutes with the coconut water thing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

GreenNight posted:

I saw that in a few articles as well. Waiting to hear which book series they buy the rights to.

I could go for a First Law Trilogy series. It's way better than A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones, in my opinion. I burned out on ASoIaF after the third book/endless wait for the fourth.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Has there been anything about the possibility of S4 of Hannibal since there were some vague tweets last month?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

Probably. Someone drinks disgusting soy milk in Independence Day and some of the Transformers as well.

I couldn't stop laughing at the scene in Independence Day 2 where someone at a press conference asks for a statement from the Chinese crew, because China "plays such an important role in the earth's defense" and they just straight up don't bother translating or subtitling the answer because it was just there for pandering purposes.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

precision posted:

ID4 and ID4-2 are both great actually

and very, very, very silly

The sequel was dumber, like, transformers sequel level dumb, but I enjoyed it a lot.

The original is a loving classic at this point and most of my friends can recite That Speech from memory.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

lelandjs posted:

People act like this is a weird thing but people eat pizza with ranch or blue cheese dressing all the time. poo poo, I was eating my crusts with blue cheese dressing earlier this afternoon, and I’ve been known to dip slices of trash pizza like Dominos or Pizza Hut in ranch.

Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it.

It almost certainly tastes better than McNuggets dipped in that stupid Mulan sauce

A proper chicken bacon ranch pizza is a thing of beauty

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DivisionPost posted:

Come on, this is me you're talking about. I'll find good in almost anything.

That said I just started watching the third episode and was compelled to write ANOTHER short essay on my Facebook. Trigger warning: Grognardery.

I saw "surgeon" and "eager to help" at the end and my brain couldn't reconcile those two things. Is it about a surgeon that's not a callous dick? Because that would make it possibly the most unrealistic medical show ever.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DivisionPost posted:

The speech he gives at the end of the first episode is about the pain he felt when his abusive father murdered his pet rabbit, and then again when his brother died, and how he wants to spare others that pain. And then the board of directors he gives this speech to applaud him and welcome him to the hospital. The writing is Hallmark-grade horseshit.

That's hilarious. Surgery is a specialty where not having a great bedside manner and not caring about your patients isn't just not a drawback, it's an asset.

Life was such a good show, that terrible video game episode you mentioned notwithstanding. Super unrealistic but the character work was all really well done. Also Damien Lewis was fantastic at doing that whole "unhinged zen detective" thing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

precision posted:

I'm finally watching the season premiere of Halt and Catch Fire and God drat it is basically a movie, and a gorgeous one

I keep trying to watch that show, but the fact the title sounds like a self-help book. And I know what it means in a programming context, it's just an awful title for a show.

pentyne posted:

Yeah he said that he could've easily destroyed the guy but then the story next day is "Terry Crews pummels doughy middle-aged Hollywood exec"

He also mentions that he wouldn't have been able to read that headline on account of being in jail.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Longmire' last season goes on Netflix 11/17. I can't wait, but I'm gonna miss that show.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

spudsbuckley posted:

Mr Mercedes is finished and i'm sad about it because it was a really good adaptation of the book :(

E: Apparently it got renewed for a second season a couple of days ago \o/ Wonder if they'll change the name.

Is there anywhere you can watch it without having satellite TV or AT&T?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It was almost all set up and no payoff

Nah, it was 16 episodes of setup, one episode of payoff, and then an episode of telling you that payoff was nothing and then a bunch of fans claim that if you wanted payoff you were an idiot.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

esperterra posted:

Oh, good to know. My roommate was telling me nobody knew, but I watched it the first time with the twist in mind and it fit so well I had a hard time believing it wasn't planned. I thought Danson's performance just managed to work so well with it by luck or smth.

Like that would have been some seriously crazy luck. Roomie must have misread whatever article saying everyone else had no idea.

Yeah, most of the main cast was in the dark about it, but it was absolutely planned. There's video Kristen Bell took of them being told about it right before they filmed the big reveal that's pretty fantastic.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I'm so glad that a non-trivial amount of my job boils down to "watching things on Netflix". Though I'm off today, so it's been an uninterrupted stranger things binge. It took me a bit to get into S1, but this season I'm already super invested from the start.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Open Source Idiom posted:

Season 4 of Fringe really bugged me. I thought it was a perfectly fine show until then -- with some really great stuff in Season 3. But their set-up for four made me actively angry. I just have absolutely no idea what the writers room was thinking.

(And the third season finale is incredibly poor too.)

My favorite part of Season 3 is how the First People were actually Walter and Peter chucking poo poo they would need into a wormhole. I hate that whole "ancient technology" plot point poo poo so that had me actually laughing with glee when it was revealed.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Yeah, after everything I've heard about how great a dude he is that would be pretty shocking.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Keanu Reeves is god's perfect creation.

I mean, the one time he got secretly filmed it was him giving up his seat on the subway to a stranger. Dude is all class.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Open Source Idiom posted:

New show from STARZ which I've been low key following for ages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3Bu2DOM66g

J.K. Simmons, Olivia Williams, Harry Lloyd, Ulrich Thompsons as regulars, and I'm pretty sure I saw Stephen Rea in the trailer too.

(It's basically Season 3 of Fringe, but with more cold war drama and Home Counties accents.)

Welp, I'm getting Starz in January. That hits a lot of the notes I loved about Fringe, which is a top-5 favorite show of all time for me

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Josh Lyman posted:

Didn't Bryan Cranston get accused of something over the weekend? I feel like that's completely gone away, like everyone is just focused on Spacey now.

He was a murder suspect once (no, not joking, that happened), but I didn't see anything about him being rape-y

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

GobiasIndustries posted:

Yeah I'm just spitballing because I don't know how they actually finish the season/series without completely writing him off the cast. Given the timing it's probably just done, I mean how do you resume production?

Suddenly dies in a carbomb. All exterior shots for the bomb, lock the writers in a room and have them figure out the finale

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Considering how he opens it up with how he doesn't want trump to be president, I think It's less about not wanting trumps agenda to fail, and more about not wanting the whole country to go down in flames spectacularly

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

IRQ posted:

Cool could they finally get around to actually putting out Jean Claude Van Johnson already, it's been like 2 years.

Assuming Van Damme doesn't have any rapey stories about to drop, which I guess is a real possibility with everything at this point.

I could have sworn I saw a release date for Jean Claude Van Johnson that's sometime next month.

E:yep, 12/15

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

JethroMcB posted:

Because apparently their "Search" for new, cheaper hosts paid off.

Pictured: The New Mythbusters Team

I don't think it was as much about them wanting cheaper hosts as it was that Adam and Jamie hated each other and still refuse to work together.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Awful app put my post in the wrong place, nothin to see here

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

lelandjs posted:

So who's everyone's worst case scenario for an actor/actress who gets revealed as a predatory shithead? I HIGHLY doubt it's going to happen because he's a legitimately good guy by all accounts but I would be crushed if someone came forward accusing Donald Glover.

Keanu Reeves has come up as an answer for this a lot and I agree. Everything I've heard about him shows he's a good dude without an ego, so it'd suck if it came out that he was a shithead.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I'm on episode 5 and it's really good so far. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Croatoan posted:

I doubt it was specifically the punisher. There's TONS of skull imagery that looks really dang close. The most popular one I see is a skull with the american flag overlaid on it. I don't really get the obsession with skulls to symbolize patriotism but drat if the extreme right doesn't love it.

Noted ex-SEAL and pathological liar Chris Kyle had a thing for the punisher's skull logo and it rippled out from there.

I think a lot of people writing off the punisher because of its expected politics are missing out. I'm about halfway through and a lot of it is about the price of violence and america's endless war foreign policy and the people who enact it. It's really good.

• Locked thread