Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I started watching Teen Wolf. What a silly show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wheat Loaf posted:

Doesn't that show also have a hard time keeping hold of its actors because MTV doesn't pay too well?

I know that the jock left to be a regular on Arrow. Then they edited out all his scenes in Arrow. Now he's not on any show.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
American Horror Story Hotel is better than American Horror Story Coven

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snak posted:

And Terminator: Genisys is better than Terminator 3.

I liked American Horror Story Hotel. Not all of the storylines were always interesting, and it needed two endings because it couldn't tie eveything together at the end, but it was overall enjoyable.

I think I missed the explanation for the chicken skin drill dick demon, so that was weird

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

lelandjs posted:

In Unbeatable Squirrel Girl the recap page is usually Squirrel Girl talking about what happened in the last ish on Twitter and various Marvel heroes @ reply her, usually Iron Man. I don't think Hawkeye or Cap have made appearances, though.

Also that reminds me Netflix when the gently caress are you gonna make an Unbeatable SG series?

Edit: I know the Twitter stuff makes Unbeatable Squirrel Girl sound unbearable but I swear the series is one of the best comics that Marvel's put out in recent history, giving us such gems as Cat Thor and Galactus mocking Thanos for being a giant hipster (he makes his own gloves) emo (he's in love with death) tool.

Here's my favorite sequence from the latest issue:

Is Cat Thor just a less interesting version of Frog Thor?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, Frog Thor is better

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
BroScienceLife teamed up with The Rock's production company to make a web show.

It's as good as Ballers, I guess

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've been watching iZombie, about halfway through season 2.

Is the entire point of this show to poo poo on Major forever?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

Mr. Robot season 2 is free with Prime now, ahead of the October season 3 start.

Also is there really not gonna be a non-spoiler Game of Thrones thread this year? I'd make it but, you know, I suck at that.

Aren't they now multiple seasons ahead of the last book? How could anybody spoil it?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

MiddleOne posted:

The trailer spoiled a shitload of the season off the top of my head.

If it's in the trailer it's probably not that big of a spoiler, I imagine

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

Jesus Christ. People are flipping their poo poo over Lady Doctor.

They've established a pattern of the Doctor being a strange looking British man for nerdy women to be inexplicably attracted to, it's no surprise that fans are going to see this new casting as a betrayal.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Escobarbarian posted:

My twitter timeline was full of people complaining about people complaining about the 13th being a woman with no actual examples so I went on twitter and looked through the hashtags and even now I'm only seeing a handful of actually mad people. I'm seeing more people complaining that the Doctor is still white than complaining that the Doctor is female.

Which is great! Bury those manchild fuckboy opinons in a wave of positivity.

It's like when the most recent E3 had a bunch of black woman characters in games and there were articles on gaming sites that were just "we went to 4chan to see if people were mad about black ladies and they were. Here are some posts of people being racist we screencapped"

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is Vikings good?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

PriorMarcus posted:

Do you honestly think the fanbase of a show built around change and hope and inclusivity is more toxic than a fan base built around a masculine action fantasy where women are disposable objects?

I can guarantee that 99% of the Doctor Who fan base aren't mad about this move and I would wager that over half is actually happy.

The James Bond fanbase is a lot bigger, it's something normal people like. Plus, some James Bond movies are good. The Doctor Who fanbase is just British children and truly tasteless nerds.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tennant was a good actor before Doctor Who? I know he's a good actor now, I just thought he got better. Did he live in an apartment with a gas leak while he was filming Doctor Who? Because he was loving awful in that show.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

lelandjs posted:

Also has there been any example ever of a role being race/genderswapped and was actually worse because of it?

(The Last Airbender doesn't count)

Do Guess Who and Ghosbusters count?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Boywhiz88 posted:

So I'm in the 4th season of BSG for the first time. What was the reaction at the end of season 3 when the 4 were revealed? I don't know how I feel about it. Frankly, it just seems really out of nowhere and slapdash. I'm now watching episode 6 after Cally's last episode.

I think that was the point where people had to admit that the show was clearly being made up as they went along

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snak posted:

It blows my mind that anyone ever thinks that shows aren't made up as they go along.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snak posted:

Just the fact that people took "[the Cylons] have a plan" to mean that the writers have some secret master plan is baffling to me.

But I also liked the show all the way to the end and liked the ending, so what the hell do I know.

I think that if the first episode literally says that the bad guys have a plan, it's not actually ridiculous to expect that the writers know what that plan is. Not episode by episode, but at least what the bad guy's goal is and generally what their tactics to obtain that goal will be.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
It doesn't actually matter if the show is planned out in advance if the writers are competent enough to bring the story to a satisfying conclusion. Lost and BSG were shows that sold themselves on their plots and twists and mysteries. But they both completely fell apart when the twists didn't make sense and the mysteries were either forgotten about or had really stupid resolutions. Don't retcon history, when Lost and BSG started people didn't say "lol this is gonna be such a stupid trainwreck"

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snak posted:

I'm not saying that people said it was gonna be a stupid trainwreck. I'm saying if by halfway through each show, you believed that they were being architected to some master plan, you were fooled by marketing and not looking at the actual product objectively.

Dude, I already said that the season finale of season 3 of BSG was the point where it became undeniable that the Cylons had no plan and the writers were just doing random poo poo. You aren't disagreeing with me.

Snak posted:

I can't think of a single example of a series or franchise where a villain's overarching plan made a lick of sense when taken as a whole.

Seriously? First season of Arrow, Merlyn wants to blow up the poor part of town to get revenge for his wife who was(in his mind) murdered by the very people she was trying to help. He takes logical, rational steps to achieve that goal. First season of iZombie, Blaine wants to turn a bunch of rich and important people in town into zombies so he can get rich selling them brains and be above the law. He takes logical steps to achieve that goal.

There's so many examples of TV show with villains who have a goal and proceed towards that goal in a logical manner

UnquietDream posted:

Yeah they did, their grand plan (and sure, I'll spoiler this) was to kill every single last human. But the rest of the cylons were very bad/not as fanatical about it, compared to Cavil. People just thought it be a more sophisticated, nuanced, complicated plan and that's really down to people's expectations.

Then what was the point of the Cylon/human hybrids? Why didn't they just activate Tigh and have him lead the fleet into a trap? Or activate any of the other unique Cylons in the Fleet and have them do something? Why did they occupy the human settlement instead of blowing it up?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snak posted:

1-season arcs are not the same thing as over-arching plots for an entire series. Of course lots and lots of shows have planned and executed season-arcs that make sense. Because show's can't always plan to be renewed, series arc are often much less certain.

I think that in general, multi season plots beyond a general end point like "the main character dies at the end" or something are just a bad idea. Otherwise, like you say, you end up with stuff like Fringe skipping like four planned seasons when they found out the fifth would be the last.

I just finished iZombie season 2, so I can't comment on anything past that. Speaking of which, isn't it really hosed up how many people Live, Major, and Clive killed in the finale? The rotted ones who can't be saved, fine, but a lot of the zombies they killed were just recently turned. Liv could've just chucked some brains at them and they would've been fine. None of the characters even commented on it

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm watching Korra and Avatar on Amazon Prime right now

both at the same time?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

DC Murderverse posted:

Welcome back to Fake Forums Jeopardy folks! Our final jeopardy category is Terrible Terrible TV Ideas.

Here's the answer: "It's a terrible idea in any political climate, but despite it's GoT pedigree, this future HBO show about the south having won the civil war and having modern day slavery is going to be a disaster in Trump's America."

"What is Confederate?"

That's right, and what did you bid?

"I bid 'the description of this show features the phrase 'the executives of a slave-holding conglomerate' ' "

Congratulations! We'll see you next time on Fake Forums Jeopardy.

I take all of this back if it's just a Tarantino-esque excuse to kill a bunch of confederate loving fuckers

How fuckin' stupid are these people? Just do a live-action Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Throw in some sex scenes, increase the number of hatchet fights, bing bang boom you've got a hit

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I watched the first season of Vikings. I liked it, but I liked the first part where it was about Vikings killing Christians a lot more than the second half about viking politics.

How do later seasons break down on that?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

After Narcos came out Netflix also added a Colombian Escobar biopic series that was like 150 episodes. It was not good, so I'm skeptical of massively long foreign TV series.

MY FRIEND HAVE YOU HEARD OF LEGEND OF THE GALACTIC HEROES

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I started watching Lexx. It's great, but I got a question; why did they switch actresses for Zev in season 2?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lexx did the Orgy episode of Always Sunny, but in space

Josh Lyman posted:

Scheduling conflict arose from 2 year gap between seasons.

I'm glad there wasn't anything untoward going on in the Production of Lexx

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I put it to this thread that the greatest musical episode is undeniably Brigadoom from Lexx.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

Bezos trashing his desk demanding some one bring him the next Game of Thrones and they came up with this

Just fuckin' do Nine Princes in Amber already

c'mon, people!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Harry Potter universe is small and lovely. All the magical stuff in Britain is like, one school, a couple of streets with some stores, and an immensely bloated bureaucracy to keep their terrible world hidden from normal people. And there's no real underlying logic to any of the magic.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

-Blackadder- posted:

Honestly, I'm not really up on current Science Fiction and Fantasy, anyone think of any others?

Another whack at Earthsea, but without making them all white this time, would be pretty cool

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Big budget live-action Billy Bat

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

muscles like this! posted:

I think a problem with doing Amber as a series is that it doesn't have an ending.

Yes it does, if they just do the Corey stuff.

Which would be fine

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Warhammer: The Game of Fantasy Battles: The Series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

I can't be the only one who gets a bit :yikes: whenever someone posts something like "I hope [person] is the next one to be outed". Like, it's a bit hosed up to hope to find out about people being sexually assaulted, isn't it? I understand when it's someone who's had major rumblings, but when it's just "this person seems creepy to me, I hope it turns out they've assaulted someone" that's... that's kinda gross.

The trick is to hope that they are outed as predators, but not in a way that creates more victims. Basically, hope that celebrities you don't like are convicted of currently unsolved crimes.

For instance, I hope that it is discovered that Elon Musk killed Elizabeth Short

• Locked thread