Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

I remember this one! The joke is that the Swedes thought Python was a Soviet submarine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

"Oh, and I hate you personally. Welp, I'm off to nail my hygienist in the exam room, I'll be late for dinner!"

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Johnny Aztec posted:

Well, she sorta toured PoW camps and said " Everything is A-Okay and those guys claiming they got tortured by the North Viet are liars and pawns."

Like, the enemy would show you the bad places when you're being used for propaganda.

That, and they did force her to sit on a AA gun for a photoshoot.

A picture of Hanoi Jane getting ready to blast American planes didn't exactly do wonders for her public image.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Slammy posted:

They'll Do It Every Time (April, 1940, click for big)

Wow, 77 years later and it's the same problem.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Vargo posted:

By the way, if you wanna ever say "Hi" to Will Henry, he tells you in his "Meet the Artist" page exactly where to find him:

Full thing here: http://www.gocomics.com/news/between-the-panels/647/will-henry-ordinary-bill-wallace-the-brave

It's beautiful :swoon:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Haifisch posted:

But then how is he supposed to die of cancer? :confused:

Gunshot destroys what's left of his liver, needs a transplant. New liver is cancerous and wasn't checked out properly because it went through a government organ bank, and the inspecting doctor has a cousin who works at the DMV.

After getting the new liver and finding out he has 6 months to live, Funky goes on a bender and gets into a DUI car crash, passes out at the wheel.

When he wakes up, it's 1973 and the strip starts over from the beginning.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Julet Esqu posted:

Why don't they look? :smith:

Can you identify this bucketful of your brother?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Vargo posted:

random Wallace the Brave

I never knew I needed psychotic mollusks in my life.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Julet Esqu posted:

It looks like that one dog in those cartoons in the 90's. This would be such a better observation if I remembered what that dog was called.

I think I know the one you're taking about. Rude Dog, right? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVGzXn9MX5Y

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

anyone else hearing Krankor's laugh, or just me? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LNS_Y90iLo

Great, now I have to re-watch Prince of Space. :mad:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Whoa, where'd this come from?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Johnny Walker posted:

Secret Agent X-9

OK the other day he was pointing at Arizona.

Well, new story anyways.

So, this is probably based off of the Osage Indian murders. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osage_Indian_murders

After oil was struck on the Osage Indian reservation, the wealthiest members started getting killed by Okies trying to push them off their land.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Slammy posted:

Dick Tracy (February, 2006, click for big)

Wow, I'd forgotten how right-wing Tracy used to be.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Aleph Null posted:

What was it originally?

The circus.

Still keeps the same meaning.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Where in the hell is Funky Winkerbean taking place this week? Some random abandoned house?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Julet Esqu posted:

Well, we don't know for sure that he's ungayed at least partially because he's not confirmed gay in the first place. They just think he is because he's so good at fashion and the organization of weddings.

But there was a story arc where a gay man slept with a ballerina because he fell in love with "her art." Then he found out she was a virgin and was honorbound to propose. They didn't get married and the dude went back to being gay. You can tell he's gay because he's so good at fashion and the organization of weddings.

:stare:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Captain_Maclaine posted:

It may surprise you to learn this, but Brooke is a creepy weirdo with only the vaguest understanding of how actual living humans interact with one another in literally any way at all.

That part doesn't surprise me, but the whole 'women have the power to turn gay men straight' thing did.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Classic Dinette Set wheels and deals for wheels.

This hits a little too close to home for me, my grandparents were the exact same way.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Who would have thought that kissing the priest would have gotten Xiulan so worked up?

:gonk: WHATS WRONG WITH HER HAND?!

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

I thought for sure the robot was from a old episode of CHiPs, but it was real: http://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/was-this-the-first-robot-ever-arrested

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Slammy posted:

This is not the comic you're looking for.

Feiffer (1973, click for big)

I can't wait to see the Feiffer's take on Watergate. :allears:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Selachian posted:

I hadn't heard of cruise ships going to Haiti before, so I looked it up and it's a rather interesting story -- the Royal Caribbean cruise line bought the port of Labadee from the Duvaliers and fenced it off from the rest of the country. They don't pay rent, and most employees there aren't even Haitians. (RC actually used to try to avoid using the word "Haiti" when referring to the place, calling it "Hispaniola" instead.) There have been cases where cruise ships have been blocked from entering Labadee by protesting Haitians in small boats.

Odds of Mary Worth going into any of this: 0.

A private overpriced resort, with armed patrols and perimeter fencing to keep out the natives? Sounds like Trump's wet dream.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Tiggum posted:

What's a leftover crayon? Left over from what?

It's scrap wax and castoffs from the manufacturing process. Usually it gets melted back down into source material and used to make new crayons.

Source: I work for Crayola.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

goatface posted:

Someone a few years back. The fact it persists is a sign of how accurate it is.

I think that was first written during the Two Cups saga.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Kazinsal posted:

...dare I ask what that was?

From the ghost of threads past:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3475241&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post402031638

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Good Listener posted:

Ok see, I was totally unaware of that. For some reason I thought he was just drawing his chars and emulating old comic artists' styles, not actually getting said old artists to do it. I recede my comments then cuz that's actually pretty cool.

Ditto, I thought he was just ripping off old comic styles wholesale. It's too bad, if he had old comic artists draw Funky on a weekly basis, he would have a piece of gold on his hands.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Evil Mastermind posted:

The gays just need to have sex with the Right Person in order to be un-gayed.

That's one of the plotlines in Naked Came The Stranger

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

:confused: I don't get it, a doctor telling a 50+ year old man to lose 10 pounds by eating healthier and getting more exercise is a joke? What's so funny about generic health advise?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Evil Mastermind posted:

Shut up!

"Should we hire an actual professional inventory audit service?"
"Nah, just give the employees a huge-rear end printout, a hand scanner, and have them stay until 2 in the goddamn morning."

God working retail sucked.

The professional inventory ERGIS guys usually hosed up so bad we had to stay with them and correct their counts.

Working at Sears was not a high point in my life.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Daduzi posted:

So this is a thing:

¡Plop!

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I'm actually too poor to go to Costco and I got called out trying to pretend to be upper class

I have seen the guys at Sam's Club selling knives and stuff

Sales booths at Costco sell those Ninja blender things and carpet steam cleaners, it's not a uncommon practice.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

:barf:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Evil Mastermind posted:

Ah, that brings me back. In a bad way. God I hated those training materials/corporate pushes to engage with customers as much as possible. I remember one about using conversational lead-ins like "so I heard it was gonna rain today" or "I'm going on vacation soon, got any recommendations on where to go" to begin your customer interactions.

It's shoplifting prevention. If you constantly stalk customers, they won't be able to steal anything.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Tiggum posted:

I guess I'm not familiar with this kind of life insurance. I had life insurance by default with my super and there was no way to somehow convert it into cash. The money I paid for it just went to the insurance company, and they'd pay a certain amount if I died or suffered severe illness or injury. When I cancelled it I just stopped paying and they gave me nothing. This kind seems more like a savings account or investment?

That's term life insurance, where if you die between the start date and the end date it pays out. Whole life insurance has a savings vehicle, where your premiums are saved and invested. You can withdraw your premiums for cash, but it reduces or terminates the policy.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Johnny Walker posted:

The Phantom

Bold?!? You want bold?!?! Cowboy Diana's Own Original Red-Hot Ri-co-chet Barbecue Sauce!

This isn't bold, it's decidedly unbold! :mad:

BigDave fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Sep 13, 2017

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Mercury Hat posted:

They redesigned him with an in universe makeover. Not sure why the artist did it, though.

If I remember right, he was so perfect that a photograph couldn't capture his image on film, and was 6' 6".

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Green Intern posted:

The latest Luann: it blows.

But does it suck?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

"Because I constantly force myself to go without so you can have the best! Not because I love you but because I want to burden you with guilt! Now drive this stake into my palm!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Ghostlight posted:

I'm in my thirties, have a job, own my own home, and I do this because gently caress you jamming it in the microwave doesn't somehow dignify tinned cream of mushroom goop.

I've eaten Chef Boyardee out of the can, but cold soup? :barf:

• Locked thread