Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
So whats the best alternative?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Arivia posted:

Speaking of minority representation Paizo lent their iconic Pathfinder characters to the Kingdom Death guys for use as characters in the new edition of KD. Including their three most prominent women. Wonderful.

That's an interesting mashup.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Ettin posted:

I posted another game rec thread but I'm thinking about just making a big game rec thread instead of a monthly thing. Or is there one and I missed it? :ohdear:

This remains a really cool idea and I appreciate it.

There's a 'what system should I use?' thread, and fatal and friends is people selling their fav/worst RPGs.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Low effort = big money seems to be most of kickstarter.

Unrelatedly, is there a Glorantha deity that is equivalent to Dionysus/‎Bacchus?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I finally got to play Warhammer Fantasy RPG tonight, and holy poo poo what a cavalcade of genius ideas.

Man, I should have played this years ago.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

Reading the postmortem apparently it's even worse than just a random fuckup, it looks like they lost the data because the guy monkeying with the code did something that erased everything and hadn't vetted the backups in six months under the assumption that they were in working order. Apparently some 200,000 character sheets were lost, which given the focus of the site is kind of a big deal.

Mates are affected and they seem understandably devastated.

Hopefully there's a way to recover them because holy poo poo.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

To my understanding there isn't, the siterunners are basically writing it off because there aren't any backups, period. He didn't make any before he started futzing with the database and the thing that was supposed to be automatically backing up the files, well, wasn't.

Yeah, sounds too catastrophic for any recovering. This definitely kills games.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Wrestling is pretty anime.

is there a thread people talk about Relic Knights in? I got to play some of the unreleased stuff and I really liked it, but I'm a sucker for any game that does the infinity thing with 1/3rd the special rules. But by god is cover drat near impossible to receive.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Woah folks, white wolf has said they investigated, and that Zak is innocent.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Torg was also metaplotty as gently caress, given that a lot of the metaplot stuff happened not in the books, but in the newsletter.

TORG is hot garbage with some maybe cool art, which this sort of thing just sits on top of like an Ibis.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Peeps are talking about the Microscope game, any games that do a similar thing but more specifically cover the march of time? I kinda think I'm thinking of A Quiet Year, but might be wrong.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Glazius posted:

Kingdom, a later game by the same author, happens in linear time.

You might also want to have a look at Questlandia or Downfall.

Thanks! I think Downfall is the one I was aware of, the others do sound cool.

We played Microscope and royally hosed up the world, so fun to see what happens next.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I know plenty of people keen to play D&D, regardless of alternatives offered.

Oh, any thread for that new Rune Wars game from FFG?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Mr.Misfit posted:

Strange thing to ask, but exists there such a thing as a Atlas-Shrugged-inspired trpg? As strange as that may sound, I´ve just recently thought that with something like Objectivism and the revival of the concepts in modern american political culture and the movies coming out (despite their quality or content, really), that might have been a field people tried to make something playable.

I imagine one of the Super Hero games would let you make super-objectivist person

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Sad that future people have no interest in playing sci fi games.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
So this looks amazing

But how does it play?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Sounds like one of Turtledove's things.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
But think how cool it'll look gathering dust?

Link to said cube.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Why the orcs gotta be killed?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
It's definitely an interesting thing to consider, it reads like the corp were able to find enough tech to bootstrap themselves into space flight, so clearly it can't have been too bad?

Reminds me, hey Evil Mastermind can I use your Fatal and Friends review of Fragged Empire to pad out a thread? Finally getting to play it and wanna have goons to bounce ideas off.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Look it just turns out corporations are good ok

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Probably because I'm currently infatuated with it, but you could run some dark stuff with Fragged Empire's mechanics. Make attribute healing even slower and you've made combat extra lethal.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

S.J. posted:

You have no idea how excited I am about this. I can use my Infinity minis for it...

That's what I've been using mine for, they look great and hard to find any that don't fit the setting.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Strike! and FFG's 40k game both have the optionsfor being two people.

I think if you tried much more than that it'd become some sort of skirmish game.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Monster Vault from memory, otherwise you can probably use the monster math on a business card and then whatever critter books you already have.

gradenko_2000 posted:

The MilHist thread veered off into how lindybeige is Not Good (TM), so that got me thinking: in recognizance of his numerous rants about D&D being "wrong", and aside from the obvious answer of Phoenix Command's Hand-to-Hand Module, which RPGs do model melee combat realistically?

Which milhist thread?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I have no patience for ASCII maps but if that's the easiest way for you to DM then go crazy.

Back on 'realistic violence' I feel like that is pretty overdone after 30 years. Why not a system where fighting is the failure state. Like Unknown Armies' six ways to stop a fight, but enforced.

Amd if a combat situation does happen you state your intended method of fighting and it's rock-paper-scissors but intimidation<injury<murder

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Why is it bad handwavium for the skill guy to use his skills to punch above his weight and take out evil speedster?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Didn't All Flesh Must Be Eaten have similar text around a central image. Feels very 90s to me.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

One pushed up on your forehead, one worn normally. Duh.

No way, the tiny ones go in front like Jeweller's magnifying glasses.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
"It's the Needle of DEATH!"
'What does it do?'
"It kills people."
'How?'
"You stab them a bunch with it."

Doesn't even sew the people into the clothes, how dull.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

How quickly does combat resolve in Fragged Empire? A friend is picking out systems to run, and one of their potential players has a disability that makes playing for long periods of time difficult. I don't want to advocate for a system that results in, like, pre-MM3 4E quagmires or something (but it's also something I can't really judge without playing it.)

I've found it pretty speedy, it can get a bit tactical but the enemy rules in the DMG letter you have some flavourful fights pretty easily. It's no high level fourth edition, that's for sure.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Probably a bit late, but any :australia: goons going to be at PAXaus?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Not everyone should respond to your intimidating antics with cowering, they can retaliate in kind, in kind being with scissors in the throat.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
https://twitter.com/DanjoKaz00ie/status/938105157497249792

They have some cool stuff about boundaries and consent too.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Anyone able to recommend any good/cheap 2d standees of a science fiction flavour?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Dog Eat Dog is colonial somewhere.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
It's been years, I know there's no reason to get better artistically, but drat man get better.

The manga artist One does barely more than scribbles, and he just loving gets how you lay out panels to convey action and movement, which is important in the visual medium they both work in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Sounds cool, but what's with the adversity to a grid?

• Locked thread