Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
I think you guys are missing the speak of CAH. Not everyone is friends exclusively with hard core gamers who don't mind a rousing game of Twilight Struggle when they're drunk at a party.

It's incredibly easy to explain to and, be understood by, non gamers in various states of intoxication and it generally leads to laughs and good times. I've had people balk at learning even simple games at parties, so something that everybody is willing to pick up without killing the mood is a big plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Sion posted:

God Hates Charades, Super Fight and Snake Oil manage to be better and simpler games without all that awkward racial/-phobic poo poo that comes along with CAH. It's not that some of us miss the point of CAH and don't understand how normies function (although that's a cool assertion, thanks Commander Riker avatar guy), it's that it's a poo poo game with some really poo poo undertones that can make a party super loving awkward when you play the 'lol it's actually rape' card and one of the attendees has to loving leave.

I mean I know the idea of, "pick another game if someone will be uncomfortable with it," is pretty difficult to wrestle with, but my goal at most parties is not to be the official Gaming Ambassador so while those games you mentioned are great I'm not always carrying them with me just in case someone mentions CAH while I'm out. Like it or not, CAH did an incredible job at penetrating the non gamer market.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

nomadotto posted:

Maybe I'm overthinking things, but in my experience, something like Balderdash or Telestrations or Monikers does a better job of making a shared experience for people to talk about/during.

I just played Monikers for the first time at New Years and it was a pretty good little party game that definitely scratches the same itch as CAH. I'm going to have to snag a copy of it to use along with Joking Hazard for light party game shenanigans. Honestly, I wish more people dug Dixit because I really enjoy that game but no one seems to want to play it.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Cassa posted:

So whats the best alternative?

I'm not sure if you're just looking for a cyberpunky setting, or some sort of tone for the rules, but there's a Savage World setting called Interface Zero that I've heard good things about. It's straight cyberpunk, but it would be easy enough to hack in fantasy elements to make it Shadowrunnier.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

Anima: Beyond Fantasy is the most incomprehensible book I've ever read in my life. I refuse to believe it can be understood, let alone played.

One of the last times I ever went to a FLGS a friend and I were talking about our experience with a couple of different systems and this guy came up unsolicited and started to explain that Anima was actually a very easy system to use once you learned all of the tables.

Welp that's my story.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

RE: Kids and D&D

I know that it was trendy to poo poo on it around here, but No Thank You Evil is actually a pretty good rules-light game to play with little kids. It's has different levels of rules so you can mix kids of different ages and abilities into the same game, but it also has little physical fiddly bits that go with it so the kids have something to actually play with and move around to keep them engaged in a tactile manner too. Building characters is pretty simple and really lets them go wild with their imagination and the setting is pretty harmless and light so not very likely to actually scare or confuse kids and if it's too nonsensical for you grimdark primary schooler it's pretty easy to ditch all of the setting stuff and just plop the characters into whatever setting you want. Like it's certainly not the greatest game ever, but it lets kids who aren't even close to being on the same page collaborate in the same game pretty well. For example, my 4 year old son played a Godzilla knockoff with a slightly smaller Godzilla knockoff as a side kick while my 8 year old daughter played a unicorn inspired by the unicorns on Gravity Falls and they were able to both have fun and contribute.

My kids had a good time playing it, and I have gotten requests from their friends to run another session of it with them too.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Kwyndig posted:

This just reminded me, in the trailer for John Wick 2 they specifically included shots to let you know the dog from the end of the first one was still alive.

It's been a while since I last saw it so I may be misremembering, but isn't there a scene in the first one that shows him burying that dog?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Kwyndig posted:

No, you're thinking of Revenge Dog (the one given to him by his dead wife), the one that gets killed at the start of the movie. This is Redemption Dog (the one he saves from being put down), the one at the end of the movie that gives him a reason to keep living. If they have actual names, I can't remember them.

:woof:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I'm an old man who hasn't really watched anime since college so I have no idea what modern shows are good but since you mentioned you like El Hazard I might be able to contribute. Specifically, I think that Rumiko Takahashi's stuff still really holds up and is great in general, especially Urusei Yatsura and Ranma 1/2. :corsair:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Thanks for the swift reply! I will check out Descent, I have heard good things about Settlers of Catan and Carcassonne but never played either of them. I think that's what we need though, something easy to pick up that can then be made more complex. I think we may have just been getting our heads turned by the licensed games on the market.

Be warned, if you're looking for a "simple" game, Decent is not it. If you're set on a dungeon crawl a la Heroquest check out the relatively recent D&D board games.

There are at least three that I know of, and while they're not really simple games they're certainly a lot simpler then Decent and they're cooperative so you and your group can all play together without one of you having to run the dungeon.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

grassy gnoll posted:

If you forget your Game Master's mask, it's gonna be real weird.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I think that buying PFO and slowly morphing it into using a 4E style combat system would be delicious.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Simian_Prime posted:

"I've seen characters you nerds wouldn't believe. Drow half-demon Mystic Theurges optimized to always pass Concentration Checks. Dual-wand wielding wizards with prestige classes based off of Sonic the Hedgehog characters. All those sheets will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

:same:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

That got me thinking:

1. Are there any games that allow or expect you to play more than one character at a time?

2. Has anyone ever tried to deliberately play a game where a player controlled more than one character at a time, even for a game that didn't specifically support it?

AD&D era Dark Sun suggested that players create a stable of 3-5 characters that they would rotate through with the anticipation that there would be a high mortality rate during adventures.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Helical Nightmares posted:

Great responses so far guys.

I don't recall base building in Exalted. Is that in the newer edition or is my memory flawed?

Updated List

The Savage Worlds Super Hero Companion has rules for building an HQ for your hero/heroes.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

gently caress, Harn has detailed rules for managing a field of turnips.

:five:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

:uhaul:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Not everything in the revised Dark Sun box was terrible. It greatly expanded the world and fleshed out some of the places more.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Ominous Jazz posted:

I don't know anything about that box, give us some deets.

Cool stuff added in the revised box include:

The Dead Lands is a massive plain of mostly blank obsidian. No one really knows where it came from or how long its been there, but it's probably from the Green Age. It's populated by roaming hordes of mindless undead and there are also a couple of cities also populated by mindless undead. There are rumors that there is some sort of alien intelligence controlling all of the undead for some nefarious purpose.

Eldaarich is basically "Wizard North Korea". The sorcerer king that runs it is incredibly paranoid about fellow sorcerer kings (and the spirits of the goblins he exterminated) killing him. It's a result of his brain breaking during his transformation into a dragon, but it's spread to his subjects now as well.

My favorite is the Crimson Savannah which, despite its name, is a mix of savannah and swamp. It's populated by the Kreen Empire which is a massive series of hives of the various Kreen races (Thri-Kreen being their backwards cousins) who dominate all other life in the area. Until recently the Savannah was isolated from the rest of the Tyr region by massive vertical cliffs but a huge earthquake collapsed a cliff allowing the Empire to start making forays outward. The swamp is also where Rajaat experimented with making life so there are all sorts of weird ruins sunken all over and the descendants of the crazy experiments are still roaming around.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Radical Sandwich Anarchy is a pretty pro username.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Plutonis posted:

I found it

loving GURPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

So has anyone around here played in the Star Trek Adventures play test? I'm curious how it plays and I don't really have a group to try it with.

• Locked thread