Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My most anticipated films of 2017 are The Death of Stalin by Armando Iannucci (In the Loop), Under the Silver Lake a neo-noir by David Mitchell (not the comedian or the author but the guy who did It Follows), and Okja a kaiju film of some sort by Bong Joon-Ho (Memories of Murder, Snowpiercer, The Host) .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Blade Runner$

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The whole point of stuff like Carry On was that it was almost entirely innuendo because you couldn't really say any of that stuff directly in movies. What's the point now that you can say whatever you want?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Exactly. In a post-American Pie world where all sex comedies have tits galore and everybody openly swears like a sailor being coy and beating around the bush with innuendo is pointless.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM_GSByevxk

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I thought that was Dominic West in the thumbnail for a bit.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Doesn't the Brother's Lionheart and with the kids throwing themselves of a roof to get back to the fantasy world?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

69 isn't really that old.

but it is the sex number.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Which Chucky movie had a scene of Chucky as tall as a skyscraper? I remember seeing that on TV as a toddler and have at least a couple seconds of that burned into my mind. I was surprised to discover that the series is about a talking doll, and not a skyscraper sized freaky looking kid. Was that even a Chucky movie?

Are you sure that wasn't Honey, I Blew Up The Kid (1992, d.p. John Hora)?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

TetsuoTW posted:

That was literally either the first or second film I remember going to see in a theater. I never got the chance to be scared by it because my mom dragged us out at the first sight of duck boobs.

Duck tits are by far the least obscene part of that film.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Parents are bunch of morons. If your kid can't handle The Name of the Rose your kid is poo poo and you failed as a parent. However I do understand parents being upset ABCs of Death but only because it is a bad film.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 10, 2017

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Did you go to school in Saudi Arabia?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Is it really blackface if it is Michael Jackson in his pale and gaunt period?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Why do so many trailers these days start with a short clip from the trailer we're about to watch?

Do trailer houses assume everyone watching has the attention span of a mosquito and that you better have a few second long mini-trailer in front of the trailer for the people who will tune out halfway through the real trailer?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

No that specific trailer for CHIPS and Spiderman and a few others have seen have the first 10 or so seconds of the video be clip from the trailer. Then there is a studio logo then the trailer actually starts. No actual ad in between and it's all part of one video.

I don't think I've ever actually seen a trailer as a youtube ad. Though that is probably just a regional thing.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I think the solution is to simply have those short clips be the full trailer. At very least that would solve the problem of trailers that tell you the entire story of the film.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Bar Crow posted:

You are watching a commercial. Anyone willingly watching a commercial is a retard.

True but ads for say Coca Cola doesn't start with a shorter ad for Coca Cola and a title card before the real ad begins.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

What about the spaceship then

As I looked, behold, a whirl-
wind was coming from the north,
a great cloud with fire flashing
forth continually and a bright
light around it, and in its midst
something like glowing metal in
the midst of the fire.

5 Within it there were figures
resembling (J)four living beings
And this was their appearance:
they had human (K)form.

13 In the midst of the living
beings there was something that
looked like burning coals of
fire, like torches darting back
and forth among the living beings.
The fire was bright, and lightning
was flashing from the fire.

15 Now as I looked at the
living beings, behold, there was
one wheel on the earth beside the
living beings, for each of the four

16 The appearance of the
wheels and their workmanship was
like sparkling beryl, and all four
of them had the same form, their
appearance and workmanship being as
if one wheel were within another wheel

25 And there came a voice from
above the expanse that was over
their heads; whenever they stood still,
they dropped their wings.

26 Now above the expanse that
was over their heads there was
something resembling a throne,
like lapis lazuli in appearance;
and on that which resembled a
throne, high up, was a figure with
the appearance of a man.

27 Then I noticed from the
appearance of His loins and upward
something like glowing metal that
looked like fire all around within
it, and from the appearance of His
loins and downward I saw something
like fire; and there was a radiance
around Him.

28 As the appearance of the
rainbow in the clouds on a rainy day,
so was the appearance of the
surrounding radiance such was the
appearance of the likeness of the
glory of the LORD And when I saw it,
I fell on my face and heard
a voice speaking.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Aliens, in general not in Signs specifically, are a modern incarnation of fairies/elves. They're a mysterious otherworldly force that is like us but different. They abduct people and like faires (and succubi/incubi, vampires, mares and shadow people) they're an attempt to explain sleep paralysis.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Femur posted:

why do people need stories to explain this? I glance at the description, and I think that's happened once or twice to me; I've never thought twice about it? just a part of an unremembered dream or whatever?

is this a great fear that needed an explanation to other people? How do they even know it's not random dream?

Because it feels like you're awake and when you're a peasant a few centuries ago, when magic and monsters were generally believed to be literally real, it makes sense to explain a scary experience at night where you can'T move and something scary is in the room as it being a vampire/elf/ghost/alp/mare/witch. Because those things obviously exist and you know you weren't totally asleep so it had to be real.

And of course in modern times that sort of experience morphed into it being aliens because very few people still believe vampires and/or witches actually exist but many believe in aliens.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Femur posted:

yeah but how do you separate that from any other dream? you can easily assume you haven't woken up yet? Are they making up stories for any of their other dreams? like dying or falling, etc, they all seem real too.

vampires are rich folks, fairies are scavengers.

Before Polidori's the Vampyre in 1819 vampires were always poor. Frequently they were outcasts and eccentrics; people who committed suicide and/or were suspected witches. You could also, reportedly, become a vampire if a cat jumped over your dead body or if a vampire had looked at your mother while she was pregnant but mostly suspected vampires were wierdos and cranks in life.

The suave aristocratic vampire of literature is an invention of the Romantics. The folkloric vampire is a ruddy and bloated diseased walking corpse.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Demons, like Russan nesting dolls, are internally stackable.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Calvinist believe that everything is preordained by an all knowing all powerful God and there is nothing you can do to change anything since you're only following your fate blindly.

Prosperity gospel is the idea that God is Santa Clause and if you are good he will give you nice things.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

this is katana, she's got my back, she could cut all of you in half with one sword stroke just like mowing the lawn I advice not getting killed by her her swords traps the souls of her victims

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Shining got nominated because it god pretty bad reviews. Mostly because it wasn'T faithful to the book.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Chairman Capone posted:

My big problem with the Dr. Strange ending was, why didn't the villain just set Dr. Strange aside in some prison and say, "All right, I won't kill you, you'll just sit here for the next ten billion years while I get back to work"?

Because the concept of time freaked him the gently caress out. It was a Lovecraftian horror being confronted by something he can't comprehend and not being able to handle it.

Or that's how I understood it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

quote:

And it was then that Nyarlathotep came out of Egypt. Who he was, none could tell, but he was of the old native blood and looked like a Pharaoh. The fellahin knelt when they saw him, yet could not say why. He said he had risen up out of the blackness of twenty-seven centuries, and that he had heard messages from places not on this planet. Into the lands of civilisation came Nyarlathotep, swarthy, slender, and sinister, always buying strange instruments of glass and metal and combining them into instruments yet stranger. He spoke much of the sciences—of electricity and psychology—and gave exhibitions of power which sent his spectators away speechless, yet which swelled his fame to exceeding magnitude.

or in other words:
Black dude came out of the desert and the locals knelt to him instinctively because it is their blood to be servile to their superiors. Then he did some freaky Tesla stuff with electricity that made people go "woah".

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 25, 2017

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Jodorowsky made insane elaborate stuff like the Holy Mountain and El Topo on small budgets. Imagine what he could've done with a big budget sci-fi film.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Len posted:

I just imagine they have Barb cosplay.

Why the internet latched onto her so strongly I don't really understand.

The internet can relate not getting laid.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Plus the actual story is usually much more interesting than the sanitized, made-up hollywood version

I like Braveheart as an example of this.

How it happened*:

How the film depicted it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdlL65LD6I4

*Based on a retelling by a dude called Blind Harry a full century after the battle took place. Which also specified Wallace to be 7 feet tall. So probably about as inaccurate as the film version though certainly far cooler and more cinematic.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 5, 2017

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

FCKGW posted:

That's shady as hell

filmindustry.txt

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A lot of the actors, writers, directors and such are progressive. The people actually running the show aren't.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The only jobs in America that still have decent unions are the entertainment industry and cops. The latter because they have guns and are quite literally the law so busting their unions is a bit tricky.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'd pay money to see Nicholson's wizened old whiskey dong.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

kiimo posted:

Okay so John Wick 2 is running at about 97% tomato meter, I think it's time I watched the first one.

John Wick is seriously one of the best action films of the decade (so far). It's just really well made and is one of those rare films that doesn't treat the audience like complete morons by over-explaining every single detail of the plot and world.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I like that the filmmakers literally sat down and decided exactly how many people it was justifiable to kill over a puppy.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Codependent Poster posted:

There's a limit?

I think was more of a minimum.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The dude who did the Italian dub Clint Eastwood for all the Dollars films, and presumably all other films, was mostly known for doing bible films before that. So in Italy the Man With No Name and Jesus Christ have the same voice.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In the German dub of the Simpsons the German Exchange Student is Swiss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I mean they could probably use any sort of bladed weapon or tool but swords are of course culturally linked to honor and heroism and dueling and what not, if I remember correctly the price of a decent sword for most of the Medieval period was about the same as for a car today and even after they got cheaper there were still laws in many countries forbidding commoners from carrying swords since a sword was a sign of nobility.

A chainsaw battle would be neat.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 12, 2017

• Locked thread