Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sinding Johansson posted:

I tend to have strong feelings whenever I leave the theater but without a doubt episode 8 is the single worst movie I have ever seen. There's hardly even a pretense of morality any more. All the pulp elements have been excised.

Not only that, it constantly makes references to the pulp elements from the earlier films and then goes "LOL no, we're not playing by those rules any more, things turn out differently now."
The Force Awakens was trying way too hard to pay tribute to the OT and it really feels like The Last Jedi was trying too hard to invert the tropes from the OT rather than just tell its own story its own way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tars Tarkas posted:

Which film will be the worst in 2018? Contenders include Ready Player One, Tomb Raider, Pacific Rim: Uprising, Solo, Robin Hood: Origins, A Wrinkle In Time, Alita: Battle Angels, Moral Engines, 50 Shades Freed, Death Wish, Sherlock Gnomes, God's Not Dead: A Light in Darkness, and Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

Let's not forget there's also going to be a Slenderman movie from Sony getting wide release in May.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Neo Rasa posted:

Does the goon responsible for that get a paycheck because that's pretty hosed up if not.

He got a writing credit on the imdb.com page for the movie so I'm pretty sure he got $$$$

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah they were so set on keeping the May release date that when they changed directors and decided to do 5 weeks of reshoots to fix the 'tone' but it turned out that Michael K. Williams wasn't availableto redo his scenes due to scheduling conflicts they just cut his character from the film altogether rather than wait for him to be available.
http://deadline.com/2017/08/michael-k-williams-han-solo-movie-roll-cut-reshoots-1202153750/

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FreudianSlippers posted:

OBviously this just means great minds think alike and we need to set up a pitch meeting with Air Bud Entertainment to make this real.

The Disney Air Buddies franchise doesn't need those other IPs, they did their own superteam movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmEgdA9eJZ8

So far there are 14 films in the Air Bud cinematic universe

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Samovar posted:

Old Yeller would obviously fill in Crowe's role. Halfway through the movie you'd find out he's actually Cujo.

Beethoven would be the one to hulk out into Cujo because they're both St Bernards.

Speaking of Cujo, they announced a remale a few years back which sounds suspiciously awful:

quote:

the new version of Cujo that is now in the works will probably have a lot of fans scratching their heads. This is because the remake is going to be titled C.U.J.O. with the letters apparently standing for "Canine Unit Joint Operations."

News of this developing project comes from Film School Rejects, which received a press release announcing that actor DJ Perry has signed on to star in the movie. As the site points out, this perhaps is further evidence that the new movie is straying pretty far away from the source material - given that the book and the Lewis Teague-directed adaptation from 1983 largely center on a mother and her son who get trapped because of the titular giant dog.
Imdb.com's listing for the project says that its current status is thankfully Unknown

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

QuoProQuid posted:

how many movies are already planned for the robin hood origins expanded universe?

Lots, at first. When they first announced the movie it was going to be followed by 'origin' movies for the rest of the Merry Men and all the other characters but that quietly got dropped over time because I guess they realised that no one wants to see Friar Tuck: Origins.

There was a discussion in the Justice League thread about whether the 'Marvel Method' had really changed the face of movie making and whether there were that many shared cinematic universes planned so I went and dug up a list and the RobinHoodiverse was one of them:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Well there's the Godzilla/King Kong Monsterverse, obviously. There's also the upcoming Hasbro-verse (G.I. Joe, Micronauts, Visionaries, M.A.S.K. and ROM: SpaceKnight), the X-Men extended cinematic universe (spinoffs including the Wolverine films and Deadpool, upcoming films including New Mutants and Gambit), The Transformers films (they've got a spinoff Bumblebee film coming up and you can bet there'll be more), an upcoming Hanna-Barbera shared cinematic universe (starting with a Scooby Doo reboot), American International (!!!!) were planning on relaunching themselves with a shared universe and Lionsgate's upcoming Robin Hood film starring Taron Egerton and Jamie Foxx was supposed to be followed up by 'origin' films of all the other characters including Friar Tuck but they seem to have dropped that idea.

That Guy Ritchie King Arthur film was also supposed to kick off an Arthurian series/shared universe but :shrug:

Valiant comics were also supposed to turned into a shared cinematic universe but it looks like they'll be TV series instead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQcLClgLfkg

Edit: Sony were also pretty desperate to spin (ha) Amazing Spider-Man out into an expanded universe and had a Sinister Six hook in Amazing Spider-Man 2 but things didn't work out so well there. But they haven't quite given up and are shooting a Venom film and are also planning a Black Cat/Silver Sable spinoff.

Halloween Jack posted:

What was that British show where Marian ran the rebellion and Robin was a dopey mascot?
Maid Marian and Her Merry Men! With Tony Robinson as the Sheriff of Nottingham and Danny John-Jules as Barrington (their version of Alan-a-Dale)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gatts posted:

No “The Brightening: The First Bright” ? Or is that the 4th part that’s a prequel.

The Bright & The Wizardous: Narnia Drift

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gatts posted:

Shared universe can work and work very well but Marvel establishes their foothold properly for family entertainment and built a sort of brand of approvals with their name. People seem to know what to expect from their studio movies and it satisfies them. Even the others work well as far as money but it doesn’t have the prestige or desired buzz like Marvels brand does.

Marvel doesn’t even do the shares universe as well as it could be done to achieve potential even.

And shared universe has even been done in TV before and well, they’re called crossovers.

The ancient Greeks were doing crossovers thousands of years ago, the story of Jason and the Argonauts was basically the Avengers of its time. :v:

The 'Marvel Method' shared universe is slightly different in that it was a shared universe right from the very first movie, every other shared/crossover universe before that was made from sticking pre-existing IPs together. Even the DCEU didn't start out as a shared universe, MoS was a standalone film right up until the week of release when DC announced they'd be fasttracking a sequel and it wasn't until the following month that they announced that it would include Batman and was building up towards Justice League. They'd been wanting to create a shared universe for a while (Green Lantern was supposed to kick it off but bombed) but they kept quiet until they were able to gauge audience reactions to MoS before going ahead with it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Neo Rasa posted:

We just saw it and I was about to post the same thing. The cast in general saves it and it was pretty fun overall. Nothing groundbreaking but I'm surprised at how unkind those early reviews were now.

I'm excited that Netflix has already green-lighted a sequel, because I'd love to see this same cast of folks and setting but not written by Max Landis.

Pretty much my exact reaction. The plot gets a bit too cliched and predictable towards the end (and it was a bit weird that they spent so much time at the start establishing the hobo wizard character and his gang for them not to reappear again) so it didn't stick the landing but I'd tune in for #2. The setting felt pretty restricted as far as magic items and magic users are concerned but I'm sure there's still a ton of fun stories they can squeeze out of it.

I wanna see some stories with those police cavalry officers. :cop::horse:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 23, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FreudianSlippers posted:

Alternatively:
A ska cover of the MASH theme.

I didn't find that exactly but there's a shitload of covers (including Manic Street Preachers :psyduck:) and I just listened to a whole bunch of different versions in a row which may explain why this had me laughing so hard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykEeGRC5U_o

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Wheat Loaf posted:

Can I ask a question in this thread (because it's about 2017 movies): how far wrong am I in presuming that Star Wars will fall short of a billion dollars this time round? I think it will end up in the $900 million region. According to Wikipedia, it's on $775 million at the moment, and based on what I've read about it, the fact that it had a very steep drop in its second week seems to me to indicate that most people who want to see it have already seen it and aren't interested in seeing it again (which its poor word of mouth will surely exacerbate). Are there still $300 million left for it make?

I think it will finish off as the second or third biggest movie of the year (in terms of money earned) behind Beauty and the Bast and Fate of the Furious and coming in fourth seems like a possibility as well.

If you look at a graph of its (domestic) progress so far you'll see that it's about halfway between where The Force Awakens and Rogue One were at the same point after release, so it should easily pass half a billion domestically. Its international sales are roughly the same as its domestic sales so far so it should make a billion eventually.
It should eventually get first place for the 2017 domestic market and then the race will be on to see if its foreign BO can catch it up to Beauty and the Beast.

joe football posted:

Boxofficemojo has it releasing in China in January. It's not a super huge deal in China or anything, but I think that + remaining legs should be enough to get it over a billion for sure

The Force Awakens made US$124 million in China and Rogue One made US$69 million which in both cases was more than 10% of their total foreign BO, it's been a pretty big market for Star Wars films in recent years.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Inescapable Duck posted:

It's quite a surprise that the franchise managed to sink lower than The Tom And Jerry Movie.

It's like executives over at WB went "Disney is raking in a fortune by remaking their classic animated features as live action movies, what do we have that can cash in on this craze?" and someone went "Wait a minute, how about we just do a shot-for-shot animated remake of one of our live action classics?" and someone else went "The audience will never buy it .... just add in some extra scenes of Tom and Jerry dancing around and we'll call it 'all new'!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs-tu4fj4zA

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Young Freud posted:

The gently caress? Is this from the same movie? It looks like a different animation team worked on each still shot. Everything so off-model.

I'm pretty sure they projected and traced over the original film's frames for most of the adapted scenes instead of drawing them from scratch using animation models

https://i.imgur.com/hzucWc8.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/bZSZio9.gifv
Edit: Oh man, they couldn't be bothered animating new dance moves for them but they also couldn't be bothered animating every frame of the original sequence so they just traced every other frame and called it done so the end result is that their feet just wobble about the place randomly

https://i.imgur.com/XWIeXqP.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/2Vt5kwx.gifv

Edit: ha ha ha, the background artists were obviously supposed to hide the yellow mushroom behind a vine or something but they forgot so it looks like it just leaps onto Wonka's cane from somewhere below frame :v:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 31, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Casimir Radon posted:

Tom and Jerry cartoons are loving bizarre. I left their adaptation of The Nutcracker on in the background one time. It was largely devoid of any violence until the end when a rocking horse with self esteem issues got her confidence back and smashed Tom's teeth out with a hammer.

41:30 here: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5vl3kh

Sidenote: this was apparently Joseph Barbera's final production before his death in 2006.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 31, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Okay we need to nominate 2017 films for these Hall Of Shame categories:

Tars Tarkas posted:

Unnecessary Sequels -

Boring junk that deserved better -

Insane failures -

.... and make up a list of which upcoming 2018 films are guaranteed to be awful

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tars Tarkas posted:

Also whoever was hoping for The Last Jedi to fail at the box office a few pages back will have to wait for Solo to celebrate Star Wars failure as it crossed the billion dollar mark and will probably be the biggest film of 2017.

Comparing it to the domestic box office performances of The Force Awakens and Rogue One it'll tail off pretty sharply sometime soon but it should still squeeze out at least an additional $100 million domestic over the next few months.

And it hasn't even opened in China yet ...

Baron von Eevl posted:

Who Greenlitighteded

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Cinema Discusso > Who Greenlitigated 2018 - We Bought Fox For Whose Rights??

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jan 1, 2018

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Wheat Loaf posted:

Star Wars doesn't tend to be enormously popular in China, though.

The Force Awakens made US$124 million in China. It's nowhere near as popular as franchises like The Fast & Furious or Transformers or even xXx: The Return of Xander Cage (China bought US$164m worth of tickets to that flick, nearly four times as much as the US market was prepared to give it) but it's not chump change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ha ha no, I can't see modern audiences going for a character with a ridiculous name like 'Harley Quin'

• Locked thread