Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Detective No. 27 posted:

Replace him with Roman Reigns.

Roman Mars, and he narrates a chase by dryly muttering design factoids about their cars and the city they're driving through whilst chuckling under his breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

wyoming posted:

It's pretty easy to ruin all of rock and roll.

https://local.theonion.com/man-always-gets-little-rush-out-of-telling-people-john-1819578998

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
How great would it be is vast swaths of the usual Academy Awards fodder being rendered untouchable by their connection to sexual predators led to a movie about a literal child predator sweeping the Oscars?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

ALFbrot posted:

Glass production has been halted after numerous sexual assaults by the cast have come to light

"They called me Mr. rear end :pervert:"

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Honestly, the batshit plot really accounts for a lot. If they just did a direct adaptation of Snake Eater, without any of the fourth-wall stuff, it would be a bad loving rear end movie and wouldn't really require them to touch any of the extra-weird stuff.

Phantom Pain is the best game in the series both in terms of the cinematography (the entire game is done like one continuous take) and in terms of writing competence (none of the badly translated repeating each other's lines or gibberish titles obviously from people who weren't native English speakers​, no freezing time to have lengthy codec monologues and exposition dumps) and it had minimal fourth wall goofs. Just make a cool historical sci-fi/historical magical realism military story with horror elements and great setpieces and you're good to go.

Casimir Radon posted:

I think it was episode 6 titled Echoes. I remember seeing somewhere him admitting that he got taken in by some pretty obvious bullshit but a quick search didn't turn it up. But it was something dumb like somebody uploading their creepypasta to the wiki page about a real asylum, and the Lore guy just stating it like it was fact without any sort of checking.

The guys who make The Dollop also got in trouble for plagiarising articles almost word for word for multiple episodes, I've never understood why people who make the living doing shows like that can't ever do the bare minimum of coming their sources unless they get external pressure and/or have fans willing to do unpaid labor for them.

The Lore guy is just especially egregious because he's not really funny or interesting and on top of not adding anything to the material his voice and delivery is terrible. And apparently he was a professional author before the podcast.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Firstborn posted:

Pretty sure characters repeating each other's lines is a Japanese thing. When someone is presenting you with information, you repeat it back to them to let you know you are listening. The codec conversations are some of the best parts of MGS, and really showcase Kojima's OCD with military minutiae and discussing weird cinema tropes and stuff. Phantom Pain has the worst story, worst ending, worst script, replaced the main character's VA who has been in it since MGS 1, and it was unfinished and chopped to bits. The actual gameplay parts of MGSV are great, but pretty much everything else from top to bottom sucks out loud.
E: There was once a great picture of Stallone photoshopped to look like Big Boss from the end of MGS2 that was spot on. Can't find it now. Still, "metal gear solid movie casting" has a lot of cool pictures in GIS.

Agree to disagree and all but Phantom Pain does have an ending and it's great precisely because instead of being a big boss battle with all the heroes riding off into the sunset like all the other games it's an important bittersweer character beat that completely changes the events of the game while also serving as a powerful capstone on the entire series despite being at the end of a midquel. Whether it was intentional or the result of budget issues it was way better than a rehash of the giant robot fight from earlier with a character you know is going to survive in future games.

The plot was also great because it was a bunch of weird superscience magic realism what served as a great recap of all the ideas about warfare, culture, and the free flow of information that the rest of the series touched on without ever having to hanfwave everything away with nanomachines or make winking references to videogames. It also had some of the best imagery in the entire series, especially with how it dipped into horror with the opening or the weird mist zombie supersoldiers or everything involving The Man on Fire and that one research center. And the script.was great precisely because it was so sparse and tightly edited, even if the fans whined about missing all the usual epic MGS memes it was way more mature and intelligent even if the verbal diarrhea of the older games had its charm at the time.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Snooze Cruise posted:

Why did everyone just went straight to MGS3 for the movie, do you guys not want a live action Vamp? What is wrong with you?

I'd rather get something new than an existing game's story and setpieces being reenacted by real people imho.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I remember people posting Pottersville earlier in bafflement at a direct-to-video Christmas movie having such a star-studded cast, but it turns out that it's even weirder than anyone could have guessed.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

MariusLecter posted:

Furries are mainstream now?

It's been a go-to for weird sex in fiction for awhile now since it's technically SFW and provides a funny visual while still being weird enough that not a lot of people are into it. Like I remember the Drew Carrey Show had an episode when he was dating a furry, the trope is that old.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That's what they wasted the extremely good name 'Pureflix' on??

I always get it confused with Cleanflix which is not something anyone would want to be associated with.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

In the latest "TV series based on movies" news, classic Reitman/Murray/Ramis comedy Stripes is being developed by Reitman and the Whitest Kids U Know crew for CBS.
http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/stripes-series-cbs-1202617011/

I know that they were technically responsible for one of the worst-reviewed movies of all time but WKUK has a ton of great sketches and it makes me kind of sad that they fell into the same memory hole every other post-YouTube TV sketch comedy troupe that isn't Lonely Island fell into.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Skwirl posted:

Curious George's origin story is that the man in a yellow hat kidnaps a monkey, by stuffing it in a bag.

The Man in the Yellow Hat with the Black Heart

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Rough Lobster posted:

Tickled was great and extremely surreal, guy who wanted to know.

David Farrier is also a pretty good journalist outside of the film, his expose on perverts getting children to act out obvious fetish material under the guise of "dares" and "challenges" was especially :stonk: and he seems to be making a nice niche out of taking weird internet stuff and presenting it in a way your parents could understand without descending into full alarmism.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/society/21-11-2016/hello-my-name-is-ally-how-children-are-being-exploited-by-youtube-predators/

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HxdTKjNeFM

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Davros1 posted:

A planet of lizard people, aliens come to visit under the guise of friendship. They look just like the lizard people, but it turns out underneath, they're humans!

Jurassic Park only it's about the staff and guests realizing that they're automatons trapped in a future theme park where dinosaurs go to live out their fantasies of escaping and killing humans.

I call it...Jurassic ParkWorld

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Davros1 posted:

Godzilla, however, is total science fact. Do not dispute me.

The story of Godzilla is based on scientific fact. On theories that have appeared in national magazines!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

This is gonna be like the latter Hellraiser sequels where they just take whatever old horror script they have sitting around and then add a scene of Canadian teenagers around a campfire telling stories to get that sweet franchise name recognition, isn't it

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

achillesforever6 posted:

There is at least going to be a spiritual successor to Jurassic Park Operation Genesis next year done by the Planet Coaster people which I never expected and am unreasonably excited for because Jurassic Park Zoo Sims are one of my favorite niche subgenres on games.

Planet Coaster with actual gameplay sounds like a great time.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
It took like a decade for Shrek to become some weird postmodern ironic internet meme while Frozen got it in like a year, kids today are loving awesome.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Young Freud posted:

Isn't it less being accused than prior accusations being revisited with renewed interest in this post-Weinstein environment.

The halcyon days when going to a costume party dressed as a Catholic priest with one of your conspicuously young-looking twinks in tow was just good clean fun.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Sirotan posted:

Fixed for you. I haven't given up hope yet. :(

They need to hurry and get it made while Wilford Brimley is still alive.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Taintrunner posted:

The thing that drives me nuts the most is how RP1 and the culture around it doesn't actually engage with those things, but simply references them for reference's sake. Like, Mobile Suit Gundam is about the all-consuming nature of war and how it chews up the innocent only to spit them back out as shattered human being beings and has remained so throughout it's more modern inceptions, like Origin and Thunderbolt, but that trailer just has a split second of an RX-78 because that's the only everyone knows. It's incredibly hosed up just how utterly cynical and shallow it is.

It's basically the fiction equivalent of a Funko POP figurine, all the actual texture and detail of popular culture sanded away in favor of bland interchangable totems whose entire appeal is that you Get The Reference.

Supersonic Shine posted:

That’s not a perfect adaptation. This is.

When the guy whose entire career is based around random mash-ups of pop culture is throwing shade you know you've hosed up.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Al Borland Corp. posted:

No PT Barnum taught us all that because you're different that just makes you special not less than, you are all special unique individuals who he definitely didn't exploit. Being in a "freak show" or novelty act was empowering.

Well to be fair if you listen to what actual freak show performers of the time have said working in a freak show meant you could actually make a living and do something with your life and travel with people from similar happenstance and was way better than the alternative of rotting in a sanitarium or church and trying to get by in a pre-ADA world. One doc on the subject I watched back in the 90s even had surviving people from the era complaining about the "do-gooders" trying to put them out of work from some misplaced sense of righteousness.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdzQUhlZnGA

Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jackie Chan are in a movie together thanks to Russia and China.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Russian Dashcam Videos: The Motion Picture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAW0LcCs35s

Looks rads a hell.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Thundercracker posted:

Honestly, a Coen brothers style movie showcasing all the insane cons Barnum did who've been way more interesting. Why whitewash someone's life who was actually interesting, if terrible? Save that for some boring British royal or something.

Well there's always that Robert Ripley biopic that never gets off the ground.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Dark Souls doing slowed down pop music actually kind of fit. Same with Final Fantasy XV doing a dramatic orchestral cover of Stand By Me.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FCKGW posted:

Yeah, I think Gears of War was the first that stuck in my craw. The Social Network is more a cover of a slow song, not so much one slowed down. San Andreas was the first one that really stuck out and I will blame them for really ramping up the trend.

I liked the Gears of War ad because independent of the game it was interesting and memorable and they pulled it off pretty well even if it was probably just a redub and they had originally planned to just do buttrock over it. The Xbox360 had only been out a year and it wasn't exactly flying off the shelves because it didn't really have a killer launch lineup and seemed like not much of a step up compared to what was already out for current systems, that was the first time I saw a next gen game that actually caught my interest.

When they actually tried to include that in the games itself in the sequels it was just laughably terrible though.

The MSJ posted:

It grossed 473 million worldwide. I think there's a sequel planned too, and the director also made Rampage with The Rock.

Also it was one of the first few titles to get a proper 4k bluray release so a lot of early adopters bought it because what else are you going to use to show off your new setup.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FreudianSlippers posted:

Yeah telling ghost stories is a Christmas tradition in some places. I think it's mostly a thing in Britain.

Over here in Iceland Christmas (or Yule) is heavily associated with monsters.

Such as the gargantuan Yulecat who eats everyone who does not receive any clothes for Christmas.

His owner is Grıla, an ancient child eating ogress. Among her hundreds of monstrous children are the Yulelads who are basically the Icelandic equivalent of Santa.

The oldest mentions of Grıla are from the poetic Edda written by Snorri Sturluson around 1220.

Victoria Christmas Cards were pretty great.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Rirse posted:

Guess it time for a new thread. What were the worst of the worst of this year? Can that awful Tom & Jerry Meet Willy Wonka be listed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The year that Disney realized they don't have to worry about other studios using Mickey when copyright expires if there are no other studios.

• Locked thread