Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gorman Thomas posted:

Actually the good version of Bone Tomahawk is Ravenous

Odd that Hollywood's never made a straight version of the Donner Party story. Get Russell Crowe as George Donner, Christian Bale as James Reed etc. Get some deranged but well-liked director who will literally starve their actors and force them to drive wagons across a salt flat in Utah then live in ox-hide lean-tos in a blizzard. Oscar bait start to finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Don't they have/didn't they used to have something similar in Canada?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

porfiria posted:

Yeah the John Milius school of conservativism veers more toward the hyper-libertarian. How much that's really just a Trojan horse for all the usual bugbears of the GOP is debatable, maybe.

Milius always had this kind of :tinfoil: theory that anyone who's sincerely right-wing should hate the government so much they they'd become anarchists.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Every time I think of "recent" episodes of the Simpsons I enjoyed a lot (the one where it flashes forward and Bart and Lisa meet in their old treehouse and wonder whether they've been good parents or the one where Homer loses a day's worth of memory and has to piece it back together and at the end it turns out it was all part of a surprise party Marge was throwing for him) I realise that they actually came out about 5-7 years ago.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Are there any movies which set things up as a standard feel-good story about someone going out to achieve their dreams, but then failing to do so because they just aren't good enough and have to go home disappointed? I think I would enjoy that but none are occurring to me off the top of my head.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, but he always resolve to keep trying, he doesn't give up and go home.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The Mercy is exactly this, and it’s like 70% of the way to being a great film.

Sure, I'll give that one a try. I enjoy stories like that - stories that remind us that most of the time we just aren't good enough and simply having dreams is no guarantee we will ever achieve them, and the failure, more often than not, wasn't worth the effort in the first place. Maybe I have a cynical view of the matter, but there you go.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have a question: a while ago I read some articles - variously on Deadline, the BBC etc. - about prominent actors and directors who had pushed back against the #MeToo movement and one thing I noticed was that many of them were either French or active in French cinema, an example being Catherine Deneuve.

Obviously I'm not seeking to denigrate French cinema in particular; I know there's a lot of activity in France against harassment and assault in the entertainment business, as there is elsewhere. But is there any reason why this reaction seems to have been pronounced in France, at least enough that it's invited comment?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I know "awards season" doesn't properly start for a few months yet but are there any movies, directors, performances etc. so far this year that are basically guaranteed Oscar nominations for next year?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Teenage Fansub posted:

I think Black Panther will be nominated for Best Picture (and maybe just that except for technicals)

Don't think Michael B. Jordan could get a Best Supporting Actor nomination out of it?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, yeah, Widows looks like it could well take the crown for "best movie adapted from a tv show" from The Fugitive. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I liked the Sydney Pollack movie Yakuza. Haven't seen enough proper yakuza films to compare though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Fred was actually an undercover detective trying to bust Shaggy's dope racket, but was in deep for too long and ended up becoming his cover. It was all in the never-broadcast animated special Scooby-Doo Meets Miami Vice! from 1987, which featured the voices of Don Johnson, Philip Michael Thomas and Edward James Olmos.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's sort of funny how Jerry Seinfeld has done maybe four things since his sitcom ended and Bee Movie is one of them.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Almost Blue posted:

I remember Rush Limbaugh or somebody like that claiming Dark Knight Rises was "obviously" about Romney because the villain was named Bane.

Chuck Dixon, who created Bane and has subsequently spent the past five years griping about how he can't get work in comics because of his conservative beliefs (despite having had consistent high-profile work in comics for about 20 years before that), later claimed that Bane was based on Occupy, despite having created him in 1991 or so.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TrixRabbi posted:

Took a few minutes for anyone to realize it was Paul Thomas Anderson and our program manager came barrelling down the stairs but he was already gone. Turns out he went to the comic book shop. He had wanted to talk about showing The Master in 70mm (which did end up happening and we were the only theater in Boston to have it).

In fairness, it might have been Paul W.S. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Franchescanado posted:

You know which hip-hop artist needs more recognition?

Yes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gorn Myson posted:

Anyone else rewatch Boogie Nights, find themselves stunned by how perfect it is and then get insanely jealous and slightly depressed when they realise that PTA was 27 when it was released?

Think of all the music Otis Redding made in his career then consider that he died at age 26.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

What book are they talking about?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Boogie Nights is, regardless of its position in the PTA filmography, the best movie Mark Wahlberg has starred in, and it is funny to me that he only ever seems to mention it nowadays in the context of lamenting that he hopes God will forgive him for being in it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Like how Colonel Sanders didn't properly start KFC until he was over 60.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Coffee And Pie posted:

Harrison Ford was in his late 30s/early 40s when he made Star Wars and Indiana Jones.

Did a lot of famous actors used to break through when they were older? For example, Gene Hackman got his breakout role when he was about 37 and I don't think he really became a leading man until after French Connection, by which time he was in his early 40s. Or would that sort of thing be an outlier?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Egbert Souse posted:

Charles Laughton was 56 when he made his first and only film The Night of the Hunter.

Laughton had been very successful as an actor (won an Oscar for that movie where he was Henry VIII) for many years before that, though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I suppose on the other hand, two authors whose novels I enjoy a lot are Raymond Chandler and Rex Stout, who were both in their 40s before they became full-time writers of fiction. Elmore Leonard had been a jobbing writer for decades and was 60 when he finally got his big break.

I imagine the same "rules" as apply to acting vis-a-vis age won't apply to writing, though. Completely different endeavours.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I liked Shane Black's Wild, Wild West screenplay when I read it, but I read it ages ago and can't find it again, so it was probably actually not that great. :v:

Adjacent to the original question, one that I don't think has ever been circulated but which I'm sort of interested in reading is Zak Penn's version of Avengers from when Favreau was going to direct it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

Shane Black's Wild Wild West has to be better than what we got.

Yeah, I think the date on whatever I read was 1992 or 1993, which is when Richard Donner wanted to make the movie with Mel Gibson (they made Maverick instead, which is fine, because Maverick is a fun movie).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Proposed Stallone sequel I'm disappointed didn't get made: Cliffhanger 2, where he was going to fight terrorists at the Hoover Dam.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CelticPredator posted:

No, this was Jivjov who saw Avengers 2 and said the tension was "Nigh unbearable"

I fell asleep during it.

Who was it who said something like, "All the quips are landing!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CelticPredator posted:

Quips are on point

And same fella

Ha.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

Huh so people really made fake rottentomatoes accounts to lower The Last Jedi's audience score, including one guy who did it using a bunch of bots. All so they could make their hatred of the movie look more mainstream than it is.

Is there like, something inherently wrong with Star Wars that makes people react like this to it?

Rotten Tomatoes said there was nothing irregular about it some months ago (though I suppose it's in their interest to say their system can't be gamed). Has there been new information out about it?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've not seen Hobo With a Shotgun but I did see the first Machete. The first Machete feels like an homage to grindhouse movies from the 70s updated for 2010 or whenever it came out. You know, Rodriguez wanted to homage exploitation movies so he made an exploitation movie.

The second Machete movie seems to be aiming in a comedic direction but when I watched it, it seemed like a very self-conscious movie to me, inasmuch as I felt like Rodriguez was constantly trying to reassure the audience that he knew how stupid it all was rather than just committing to making a stupid movie, if that makes sense.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Which do people like better - Predator or Die Hard?

They're both great but it's Die Hard for me.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Actually, I think I like Lethal Weapon and possibly Lethal Weapon 2 more than both Predator and Die Hard.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What's "Wixploitation"?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That would make sense.

What sort of thing other than the John Wick movies fit into the category? Atomic Blonde, off the top of my head. What else?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

just off the top of my head you've got Peppermint, The Accountant, 24 Hours to Live, Red Sparrow, Proud Mary, The Villainess, and American Assassin

(one of which tbf is Korean but still)

Surely a bit more like Raidsploitation? :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How about Liamsploitation, which capitalises on Liam Neeson's post-Taken reinvention as an action star whose movies always look like they're DTV even when they're getting theatrical releases? :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Equalizer is itself an adaptation of a television series from the 80s about an ageing retired spy who solves problems for people to make amends for his dark past.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The key difference is that, in Death Wish, Paul Kersey isn't a violent person or in any way skilled in it from the get-go. He's a loving architect, not a veteran or hitman or police officer or superspy; when he begins his revenge (at least in the 1974 movie), it's consciously depicted as awkward as hell and Kersey is not shown to be fully comfortable with what he's doing.

Had he not been in Korea in the first movie or was that added for the sequels?

In any event, I feel like the Death Wish sequels - particularly Death Wish 3 - can sometimes colour perceptions of the first movie, which I think is slightly less of an outright revenge fantasy than it's sometimes regarded as being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

It's very obvious that the directors watched a poo poo ton of John Woo growing up.

According to the director (via Wikipedia, of course), the main influences on the first John Wick were The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (great), Point Blank (great), The Killer (great) and Le Cercle Rouge (the one I haven't seen).

I think there's a lot of The Killer in Wick in particular.

• Locked thread