Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

MrLonghair posted:

Bloodborne is the only game I can come up with when thinking of a greatest of the generation, but it is seriously only something for those who think they can stomach a better Souls game only, and one that's got a challenge in it. The trophy stats for having defeated either of the bosses that can be encountered as ones first are tiny. Games journalists making more money than the average teacher have spent 4-7 hours throwing their bodies at bosses and gone nowhere.
I actually remember being really impressed by the numbers on some of the later bosses. Ebrietas -- late in the game, very hard and totally optional -- had like 25% complete, which I thought was pretty high considering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

socialsecurity posted:

Every dam video streaming service uses them as fast forward and they get triggered on accident all the time.
I lost those two little springs that give the triggers some weight when I did the Xbox stick mod and they're even worse now.i like the sticks but I'm not gonna risk it on my second DS4.

(I didn't straight up lose them but couldn't for the life of me figure out how to put them back in place.)

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Harlock posted:

Still no Shadow of Mordor sequel. What's WB doing
Seriously a sequel that polished the basic poo poo of that game would be tight as hell

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

PSN is doing open multiplayer Feb. 22-26 without Plus.

Also saw some blog say there will be another spend $100 get $15 running 21-28 but don't know if that's reliable.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

ankle posted:

Is there a good way to listen to podcasts on the PS4 if the podcast isn't on Spotify?
I listen to podcasts a lot of the time in the background of most games I play. I download them to my Android phone with a podcast app like normal, then use BubbleUPNP to serve them over DLNA and listen with the PS4 Media Player app. I'm sure there's an iOS equivalent if that's your thing. It's far from perfect -- not uncommon for the stream to just drop or abruptly skip to the next file in the queue and I can't figure out which end of the connection to blame -- but you can always plug a USB drive into the PS4 for Media Player if that's a better tradeoff for you. Like Spotify you've got controls accessible while inside games, separate volume level, it's pretty great expect when it's not.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I think that spend $100 get $15 also runs through the 28th.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Ars Technica had a report of a hands off soon watching devs demo it and came off pretty negative, or at least skeptical.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Digirat posted:

I think "victory lap" endings to games are actually quite good for this reason. Experience is more important than challenge IMO, as long as it still feels engaging.
Bloodborne's ending stood out to me as a great version of the victory lap once you factor in the DLC, where you've had the opportunity to prove yourself against the hardest bosses the game has to offer before you get to the end boss. I can imagine the end being a little underwhelming to some people at launch without Ludwig, the Orphan, etc.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Played the Nier demo, no experience with the franchise before. It's going on the to do list but, is the whole experience that scripted? Like do you actually get to stand toe-to-toe with a boss and straight up fight till it's dead or are you always whittling a false health bar to trigger the next event?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Was gonna wait until the the first time I saw either Horizon or Nier on sale, but looked at my shelf and realized I hadn't touched BF1 or TF2 in like two weeks and saw they had pretty decent trade-in value considering I bought them both at almost half-off around Black Friday and felt like I'd enjoyed them enough already, so wound up taking those and a few others in and getting Horizon.

Just got through the linear tutorial part and received my first quests on an open map and it seems great but, we're still doing audio logs? I'll accept the blame for forcing myself to play every one even when I know I don't like them but those things never sound like anything a human would actually say into a recorder for any reason.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

After my first day with HZD I'm just about to leave the Embrace and I'm astonished how a company that didn't make open-world RPGs made an open-world RPG this good. That had to be part of it, it doesn't do anything revolutionary but they must've been able to take a clear look at what works and what doesn't in a way Bioware and Bethesda can't/won't anymore.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Empress Brosephine posted:

Random question but do any of the NBA games have classic teams in them like 96 Hornets etc etc?
Can't confirm that specific team off the top of my head but yeah, various 2K games have different historic NBA teams, the Dream Team, etc.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I was just gonna post about easy it is to not realize that, though I don't know if you get guided into some different weapons a little further along the main quest -- I'm just on my way to Daytower now having spent a ton of time just loving around in the East. The Hunters Lodge line might serve that purpose too.

Might just be me but I usually don't think of vendors as very important in most RPGs, the best items are usually looted.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

HZD thoughts after 20 hours:
Good:
  • Absolutely gorgeous; maybe short of the top tier of PS4 engine tech (UC4, MSGV) but considering the stellar art design, up there with the best of them
  • Combat is as good as anything in this class short of the Souls games -- a superior implementation of The Witcher series' concept of using traps and buffs to level the playing field against enemies that would naturally outmatch you
  • No false moral choices; Aloy has a defined personality, primarily expressed in her sympathy with outcasts, and in situations where other games would present you with a perfunctory decision to either aid a person in need or scorn them because of their social status, HZD skips that and gets to the point
  • Expanding on that note, you begin the story being shunned from the local tribe at birth, but the quest-giving NPCs you meet don't give a poo poo about that and engage with you anyway; it's an ingenious way to both reflect that supposedly sacred social conventions are easily set aside when they get in the way of an individual's interests, and to serve as an actual in-world motivation for the majority of place-filling NPCs to have nothing to say when you interact with them
Mixed:
  • Voice and facial animations vary from best-in-class to weirdly off-putting
  • There's a great variety of weapons and elemental damage types, all fun to employ but the game doesn't do a great job of signifying what does what and when you need it; you're left to explore vendor stocks without much guidance
  • You'll spend a lot of time hunting for materials to craft quality-of-life upgrades like ammo capacity -- but that hunting is pretty fun and easy to do as you travel from place to place
  • Giant world padded with plenty of the marginally interesting collectibles common to open-world games that will compel a lot of players to waste time playing icon janitor -- the onus is on you to decide how much gameplay you want
  • Employs several well-worn, dated mechanics -- "detective vision" and quests that consist of following glowing trails, just-hold-up climbing, unveiling fogged maps by ascending to a specified tall point, a skill tree full of variations on one-button stealth kills -- but the implementations are about as good as anybody's
Bad:
  • There are two entirely different ways to heal in combat, you don't automatically heal by resting/entering a city or anything like that, and it feels like two different teams crafted those mechinics independent of each other and never reconciled
  • It's easy to aggro trash enemies when you're just trying to travel from place to place without any desire to get in a fight, and that's annoying in light of the fact that ...
  • Mounts are inconvenient -- you often have to go out of your way to get one, they control awkwardly and (unless I missed something) there's no way to heal them if they take some damage, which they will do as soon as a fight happens
Ultimately I won't argue that this tops Bloodborne as an exclusive or The Witcher 3 for the generation's RPGs but it absolutely belongs in the conversation for top 5 games of the generation and might be the PS4's best system-seller to normie audiences. Immediately recommended to anyone who doesn't have a strong pre-existing aversion to games of this type.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Brightman posted:

The last point in the Bad section is partially remedied by the skill that lets you whistle for mounts without having already acquired them, like just a random mountable will show up. Hell you could probably just kill them for scraps when you're done getting where you're going too, I haven't tried that but I bet it'd work.
Yeah I wouldn't have any complaints if that skill wasn't at the bottom of a column I wasn't super interested in otherwise. Or if you could just buy mounts at settlements or big road junctions or something. Maybe to them it was an immersion thing -- you're a hunter-gatherer, you mostly live on foot -- but I'm not big on games trying to excuse QoL issues like that.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Brightman posted:

You don't like combat overrides? To each their own, but I did override a single ravager once and it proceeded to kill 2 more, 2 bellowbacks, a longlegs, and numerous watchers. When I decided to put it down the drat thing almost killed me despite already having a limp and barely any health.
I don't hate it but I was prioritizing bow skills and utility upgrades like increased health/drops. When I first looked at it "indefinite" overrides sounded possibly OP (like most of the stealth skills, the other branch I'm not putting many points into yet), and I haven't felt like doing any of the cauldrons past the first yet so the variety of targets is pretty limited. Also I think this is just an old, dumb habit but I was always wary of charm skills in open-world games because I worried the target you flip might draw a distant enemy I wasn't intending to fight (or, in older sandboxy games that would allow pretty much anything, accidentally kill/aggro an important friendly NPC, but that's not really a problem anymore.)

Last random bit of praise: when you first meet the Carja I thought it was weird they seemed to have a relatively complex monarchy and religion, since I just assumed they were hunter-gatherers like the Nora, and my layman's understanding was that agriculture was believed to be a prerequisite for those kinds of social structures. Then you approach Meridian and there's the Royal Maizelands.

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 1, 2017

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

There's a PS4/3 Humble Bundle of THQ titles. I don't really know many of these titles besides the Darksiderses but nothing's really catching my attention and everyone in this thread has like five 40+ hours games in their backlog already.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

Anyone else pick up cosmic star heroine? Kind of a fun throw back rpg but it's little buggy.
I hadn't heard of it but looking it up this seems to be very much in the vein of a Phantasy Star with the planets and combos and such? If it doesn't sacrifice modern UX conventions to the retro gameplay that sounds right up my alley.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

The day before they announced that Uncharted standalone I got a survey from the PSN email asking if I'd played various games, if I'd heard of various upcoming games and then the detailed questions were all about a hypothetical Uncharted sequel without Drake but I could've sworn the little pitch was that Chloe was the main character. I think my response was "OK, but it's hard to see that working without Drake."

Fix posted:

Detroit: Become Human
Oh my god, that must be the game I guy I was talking to months ago mentioned he saw a trailer or something for and it was about a cyber cop in future Detroit and I was like that's DX:HR but he insisted it wasn't and I assumed he was crazy.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Fix posted:

That survey was asking about your awareness to some game called Bonestorm, which as far as I could tell was just a Simpsons reference.
Yep, that was on there.

homeless snail posted:

That's weird, I took that survey also and it was very much not hypothetical and was specifically asking what I thought of The Lost Legacy and it having women as protagonists.
I guess I was thinking of it as hypothetical because I hadn't heard of Lost Legacy when I took it. Maybe I just checked my email before coming here cause this is the only place I get game news but I thought it was like a day before the announcement.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

I hope someday strategy games catch on in console gaming because it's really the only thing I feel like I'm missing out on anymore. It sucks they have never thought it was worth trying to make Civ or Starcraft or anything really work on console.
I've never understood that; a Paradox game is one thing and I'm sure you can't touch some Korean teen's APM in StarCraft on a DS4 but I don't get why Civ wouldn't work on a console -- awkward maybe but doable. Does it just hit the CPU too hard or is there no market?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Tiny thing bugging me in HZD: is there any explanation for those two vendors in Meridian -- one sells sets of unique objects whose only use is trading them to the other vendor for reward boxes that seem to contain about twice what you paid to get those objects? If you try to think about it on in-world terms, they're like 100 feet away. Have they just never met? The commodities you trade are called like "rusty bolts" and "dirty baskets" and if there's some joke in there like the "ancient vessels" it's going over my head.

Kinda reeks of cut content, like the objects were supposed to be collectibles found scattered in the world or through a sidequest and then they realized the map was busy enough as is, but the rewards aren't anything so unique or important to balance that they couldn't have just dropped it entirely.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Finished The Last Of Us. What a stupendous game, wowee! Who agrees with the ending? I'm certainly happy with it but maybe because I'm an old man dad. I'm going to let the whole game gel into the old noodle and take a break for a bit. What does Left Behind offer up? I guess it's a side story, or maybe I play the game over from another perspective.

Anyway, what a good one.
Left Behind is a short story from Ellie's past. I thought it was fantastic. There's a small bit in there (the arcade "game") that's one of my favorite examples of a developer showing they understand how to use a simple moment of interactivity to do something a film can't, even in the middle of a larger "cinematic" experience.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

The last AAA game I really tried to play on PC was Dark Souls 1; I had abandoned my first run of it when it was introduced on Steam around Darkroot Basin and then, after buying a PS4 and playing Bloodborne where the Soulsborne concepts finally clicked with me, was coming back to it. In the middle of my playthrough, after I had beaten the uhh dragon thing at the bottom of the sewer? Windows got an update, and the next time I tried to play it, every time I touched the sticks on my wired 360 controller the game would slow to a crawl. It was totally inexplicable, I was this close to running to Gamestop and buying a used PS3 and DS1 and the DLC all over again just so I could actually play the loving game when they updated Windows again and somehow fixed whatever bug they introduced.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Snak posted:

Steam controller support conflicts with normal controller support. There're instructions about this somewhere.
This was different, not about Steam or the bad DS1 port -- it was some super weird Windows 10 bug specific to X360 controller drivers that existed for like a week on a specific build -- I managed to get a DS4 working and that didn't have the bug; the next update to Windows fixed 360 controller support and I was able to finish DS1 without any further problems. I wouldn't have even noticed if I wasn't in the middle of DS1 at the exact moment it occurred.

Which is kinda the point about PC gaming. I loved it for a long time but there's a million weird things that can go wrong.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I know we all made our peace with occasionally being Nazis in MP WW2 games a long time ago but you know, considering the current moment in history, I feel like that could turn out pretty badly? Like PSN/XBL might want to bring in an army of temps release week to mash those ban buttons.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Live At Five! posted:

I'm sick of modern shooters but I'd be interested in things set in the past if it's been overlooked, like WW1 or Korea. Hell even a Vietnam setting isn't as overdone as WW2 or modern shooters. My issue with the CoD style future setting is that it doesn't seem all that different from a modern setting, just with lasers and wall running. Plus something set in reality feels like it has more weight to it. BF1 got me to learn a hell of a lot more on WW1 than I would ever know if it was never made.
'Nam is too dicey politically -- BF did one and got away with it (was it an expansion to BC2 or a standalone in that same generation?) but mostly because nobody noticed it; there was an off-brand Vietnam shooter around the same time I forget the name of that got a ton of heat and failed hard. Korea seems less of a hot-button issue but nobody knows anything about it ("the Forgotten War") and, whether it's correct or not, seems like a boring setting and the same weapons as WW2. I'm sure there are decent grognard strategy games in those settings but they're not gonna make for mass-market FPSes for at least a (human, not console) generation.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

acksplode posted:

Glad I waited to dig in on Horizon, the new HUD customization options in the latest patch are a big deal. I turned the compass off and disabled plant icons except for when I'm using Focus, and it makes the world feel way more immersive. I'm now looking at the stuff around me instead of the icons plastered all over them and using landmarks to orient myself. Huge improvement.
Oh sweet, it actually updated while I was playing last night and I forgot to restart to see the changes. Anything else major?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Lots of good stuff besides HUD options in that HZD update: sorting and mark to sell in inventory/vendor screens, "sell all" with one button in the sell multiple dialog. My fave: map filters cause that is one busy map. Resolves a ton of minor complaints (though this stuff should have been obvious from the start tbh).

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

They really aren't helpful after you turn the set in either. The rewards are crap.
I got them cause I just liked going and finding them but reward in general is not something HZD is good at. Buy purple weapons, slap purple mods on them, and you're about as powerful as you're ever gonna be. It's not a huge deal because the combat is such a good experience (to most people) but this is something other games have managed to make feel better.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I liked the metal flowers cause you could spot them by the triangle of real flowers from a distance. The cups sucked except that's actually a decent enough joke for a game and the collector sounded like Will Forte.

Is there ever any explanation of what the metal flowers were, who put them there, why they have lyrics?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

mutata posted:

There is! It's a main quest story spoiler.
Ok, figured it must be further in the main quest once it didn't come up when I got them all.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Every time somebody posts about Nier:A not working for them it just piques my curiosity even more. No experience with the franchise, don't think I've ever played a Platinum game, and I feel like there's at least a one in three or four chance I end up one of those people but... I just gotta find out for myself.

Two years ago when I bought a PS4 (after a console history of hand-me-down NES during the N64 era and then a Wii a few years into its cycle) I was not expecting to find myself with a wishlist of Nier:A, Yakuza 0 and Persona 5, three Japanese franchises I don't think I'd ever even heard of until recently, even ahead of some entries in franchises I like but still haven't gotten around to like UC4 and DS3. I'm just so curious about these games that are getting such strong reactions out of people (and really glad I went PS4 so I could try some poo poo out of my comfort zone).

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

Play the demo, if its not terrible combat to you, consider getting the game.

But before you do, get Yakuza 0 right away, good god you've never experienced anything like it i promise and its really good.
Oh yeah, I did play the demo and liked it while seeing hints of how it could rub some people the wrong way, as far as not being super deep. And Yakuza does absolutely seem like the safest bet. For the last week or so I've been scanning around for somebody to put Y0 or N:A on a decent sale; I know N:A was on PSN not long ago but I prefer physical in general and especially on a potentially risky one, and I had that much more HZD left in front of me at the time. Now I'm making the turn into finishing off the main quest and I'm starting to look for my next game. Definitely want to do those two before P5 cause I know I'll get antsy to try them once I'm in the middle of a 100+ hour game (and I play everything like 50% slower than the numbers everyone quotes).

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Holy poo poo I was checking various retailers to see if anybody had N:A disc on sale and the "parental info" tab on Target's page is RAW:

quote:

The primary protagonist, a female android, wears a revealing (and impractical for combat) velvet dress that allows players to see her entire buttocks while climbing ladders and performing acrobatic moves. A male human-like character appears and fights completely in the nude, though he's missing any genitalia.

quote:

Discuss the nature of identity. If you were to lose a leg and have it surgically replaced with someone else's, would the new leg be part of your body? If so, would you be the same person or someone different? What if the replaced part were a section of your brain?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Never gotten a plat; without further info on the ending does HZD's leave you able to finish up anything you missed?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Is the white dog with the red cross supposed to be like the flag of Switzerland?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

That gets better fast once you get more powerful weapons, and also a more diverse selection -- bad at shooting? Try slings and tripwires instead of bows. You might not have access to them yet but you will soon.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Finished HZD with my first plat ever. Wasn't planning to go for it but got to the point of no return and thought to look up how close I was. Aside from the Hunters' Lodge trials, which I had been ignoring but wound up enjoying a lot, all I really had to do was clear up a few bandit camps and corrupted zones, and follow a video for the training dummies. Weird thing is the very last thing I had to do was go kill a Charger -- I'd somehow managed to never do that. Pretty easy plat for a large game, I'd recommend trying if you're not totally burned out by the end. Very satisfying, fantastic game.

Next up: I think GTA5? Finally saw it half-off for a physical copy this week I think at Target after it'd been holding a pretty high price forever. Would rather jump on something not insanely huge like Nier or Yakuza but nobody appears to have them much of a discount at the moment. Might gently caress around with some PS+ free games I skipped first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Morby posted:

What did the latest firmware update do for the system? I really wish they'd give more detail than the generic "system stability improvements" flavor text.
I saw a link on some random PS news site talking about some new kind of a new standings display for organized tournaments, but I didn't know what was a thing to begin with so I'm not sure?