Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I'd toss in greater East Tennessee to that list. I just drove across country hitting around 10 states and the portion of blue ridge parkway was the most beautiful part of the trip. Arkansas was by far the most depressing.

Chattanooga owns. It Owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Chichevache posted:

My greatest fear is being in a lifeless marriage with someone I am sexually incompatible with but don't leave because of the kids. Then one day I finally cheat with the cute 27 year old at work and my kids think I'm scum, even though I'm not the one in the marriage who stopped giving oral sex the second a ring was on my finger.

The samest 'hell, same' that ever did same.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Relentlessboredomm posted:

If you're socially competent and can bullshit just get an MBA. You get a modicum of power, 6 figures, and aren't locked into any industry. Lord knows we need more people in business who aren't business wing Republicans

I'm eight weeks in and hoo boy is it a lot of work. Not necessarily hard, but a lot of work. I'm also working 16 hours per week though, so without that it would be pretty breezy.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
After my finals over the next week it should chill out for a bit and I can start looking at summer internships, which I haven't done much for yet. Just gotta make it though this first semester to knock out the core classes and it's off to the lovely world of electives.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Time posted:

I can't imagine going to an MBA program and actually expecting to learn anything

I've been using R and Visual Basic, which I had never done before. As far as classes go though, I haven't learned much in econ or analytics I didn't already know from high school and undergrad stats, but I hadn't done poo poo with accounting or much of finance. That's just the core classes so far, but I'm really looking forward to the experiences of the practicums I'll take in my electives since I'm looking to switch industries.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Ehud posted:

my dog (who is neutered) is extremely horny the last two days and is super frustrated and acting like a complete jackass

the life force is strong...

My human friend Jake has a dog named Finn too.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Joey Freshwater posted:

I'm going to SGI on Saturday for 8 days and I have already checked the gently caress out of work for the week.

St George Island?

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
I have gone there every year (usually multiple times) for the last like fifteen years if not longer.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Never really hit the bars there. Don't care for the taxi situation and it's too far to walk from our place right by the park on the other end.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

seiferguy posted:

Why wouldn't you want to date people around your own age when you're in your 30s?

Why would you ever not date women in their mid 20s? Like, besides marriage.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I’m poor for a dude with a masters. But not poor as relative to the average American.

Need to figure my poo poo out ASAP though. My options at this point are:

1. Move cities for a better (but not great) paying job.
2. Code boot camp and stay in my city.
3. MBA at ~T25 school and stay in my city.
4. Stay at current job and code all my free time and hope I can get a data/coding centric position in my field, in my current city.

I get paid to analyze policy and budgets for enormous organizations but I’m hecking bad at making personal life decisions.

Just make sure you pick a good program that fits you well and you'll do fine. None of the classes are terribly difficult, just a lot of work. If you're trying to change industries I'd recommend a full time program.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Kalli posted:

This is where I profess my complete ignorance of this..

What the hell do you even do in your typical MBA course class?

This semester is all the core classes
Managerial Accounting: learning how to read and make the five major financial statements, what useful info can be pulled from them
Finance: time value of money, learning how to do valuations for stocks/companies/projects
Analytics: stats and data interpretation, learning how to use R
Econ: uh, basic/moderate econ stuff. Dealing with shifting supply and demand, profit maximizing
Leading People and Orgs: soft skill stuff - how to deal with different personalities, conflicts, teams, company cultures. Sounds lame but actually is pretty useful?
Business Communications: another soft skill one - how to give presentations effectively. This one was super easy for me but it seems like most of the foreign kids and reserved people got a lot out of it

Managing info resources: just started this one today, but it's IT kinda stuff and how it is really changing businesses these days. Gonna learn MySQL and Gephi.
Marketing: start this one tomorrow, but it seems pretty straightforward?
Operations: start this one next week. Should be a bunch of supply chain/optimization stuff

After that it's kind of a choose your own adventure on what you want to learn/do with your degree. Concentrations like international business, finance, analytics, strategy, operations, supply chain, managing technology products. A bunch of practicum courses where you're working on real projects with clients, learning negotiation techniques, all kinda poo poo.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

FizFashizzle posted:

What a crock of poo poo.

I mean... it's a generalist degree that gets you access to a ton of high paying jobs. It shows you have a good base of knowledge in General Business Things and can usually work well in groups. You understand what other managers and higher ups are saying (it's not all pointless buzz words, I swear). I'm doing a full time program because I want to switch fields. You do one year, a summer internship (hopefully where you plan on working/what you want to do full time), one more year, then you're out.

Nothing is nearly as difficult as doing Mechanical Engineering for undergrad. I chose ME because I wanted the most general engineering degree to keep my options open. It is, however, a lot of reading/writing, group work, and learning new (though not particularly difficult) things.

Edit: I get what you're saying in that whatever job you end up getting afterwards you probably could have learned those skills on the job. However, that's the same for what my situation was out of undergrad. I barely used anything that I couldn't have learned/taught myself on the job. But by having the knowledge and experience already, you're showing that you're qualified for the jobs you're applying for, not just "please hire me I promise I'm smart and can figure it out."

The Big Jesus fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 19, 2017

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
That's a good point about this stuff being able to be taught at the bachelor's level. Since my background was engineering I have no idea what they teach in bachelor's level business.

Another reason an MBA is a step up is that to get into a good program, you have to have significant work history, good recommendations, score well on an SAT-like test (GMAT), and do an interview. That way, the companies that pay top dollar to hire from these programs know they are getting pre-vetted candidates instead of somebody who did well in high school and got out of a four year program.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Maybe an unpopular opinion here, but...

Almost by definition there's discrimination against every race, age, and sex on some level. Whether it comes from the federal or local government, industry, education, or other cultures is a whole different discussion. I feel like it's kind of obtuse to say white people aren't discriminated against at all and can't be.

But lol at the idea of there being any sort of systematic oppression/discrimination against white people.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Alaois posted:

*temporarily possessed by the ghost of wheez*

that place is a loving dogshit chain for idiots that doesn't do anywhere near the justice it should to actual churrasqueiras

I just put in my application for an international practicum in Brazil. Can't wait.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Man why the gently caress do you do 150 tweets just write a drat blog

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Problematic.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Good woman. Also most of them in the DC metro region explicitly say not to match them if you support Trump

I don't match anybody if they mention politics in their profile at all.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

FizFashizzle posted:

Finally got a grad school interview. Thank you god

What are you going for? Med stuff?

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

With Trump trying to tax tuition waivers, this might not be the best idea

Yeah it's not ideal. I was hoping to make it out without adding debt but we will see now...

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

pubic works project posted:

I'm a simple man. Just some good bread and I'll make some drat turkey sandwiches.

I couldn't decide if I wanted a honey baked ham sandwich or a turkey sandwich.

So I made a sandwich with both and used gravy as dipping sauce.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

pubic works project posted:

And we all know that Barron is a serial killer in the making.

The kid saw his father decapitated at a young age of course he's going to be screwed up!

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
https://twitter.com/LisaToddSutton/status/936327231625981952

Gotta let the trickle down happen naturally imo

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

HatfulOfHollow posted:

If you don't see the humor in getting $5 wasted at an Applebees then I don't know what to tell you. I'm making it my mission to party at an Applebees at least once.

I've had a few customers in the middle of nowhere towns where Applebee's is one of the only options. While I'd rather eat something else, it really isn't that bad...

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I lost weight over thanksgiving weekend because I eat super healthy when my family cooks and we did a bunch of walks with dogs. I only eat bad food when its been a lovely work day or I've been drinking.

Also I've never had In-N-Out fries. Are we saying they are bad soon after they are made, in general or relative to other fast food fries?

I feel like they're not that different from Steak n Shake, really.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Cookout oooooooooowns.

I can't bring myself to focus on writing this cover letter for a Nike supply chain internship due tomorrow. Not sure if I really want to move to Portland anyway... could be cool for a summer though? Plus tons of swag I'm sure.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

No Butt Stuff posted:

Nike's supply chain is dubiously unethical. At best.

That's also part of why I'm not super passionate about it. The other part is that it's a fallback in case my first like... fifteen choices don't work out.

E: to be clear, I'd be part of the Supply Chain or Demand and Supply Management teams. I wouldn't want to work for Manufacturing and Sourcing, but even being tangentially related is bleh.

The Big Jesus fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 1, 2017

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

seiferguy posted:

I had a classmate who did an internship there, and now lives there. He loves it. During his internship he met Carmelo Anthony and various other athletes.

Also, Nike did clean up their supply chain and sourcing a bit after that child labor fallout. I wouldn't hold them because of the sins of their past.

Well it sounds like they've at least earned a five minute modification job of my standard ops cover letter/resume.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Freaquency posted:

Spicy chicken tray with a 'dilla and a corndog. Add a cheesecake shake for a buck

God I wanna go get drunk just to have a legit excuse to get Cook Out now

There's one walking distance from the bars I go to. It is A Problem.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

This is a pretty good morning for me. Find out one of my favorite league of legends champions is confirmed to be gay with a neat lore update AND Michael Flynn is getting nailed as likely part of a plea deal!

If I ever find myself caring about lore in the most loreless game just go ahead and pull the plug on me.

Actually do it if I find myself caring about lore period

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
So a couple months ago I went out with some friends and afterwards called my uber to go home. Accidentally got an uber pool, which I didn't notice until it got there and there were a couple girls in the back. Get to chatting and they're going to a bar right by my place, say I should come. I go and hang with one of them and when the bar closes she suggests we go back to my place. We're walking back and she stumbles twice in the short fall, so I realize she's way too drunk so imma just get her some water and send her on her way.
Get to my place, she starts aggressively making out with me in the kitchen. Whatever, no big deal. Then she asks to use my bathroom, which is through my bedroom. She goes in there and proceeds to puke everywhere and pass out for two hours. I check on her making sure she's fine every now and then. Made her some food since water obviously wasn't going to do the trick. Anyway at this point it's like 4am and I just want to go to sleep, so I go from my kitchen to the bathroom to kick her out. I round the corner from my hallway into the bedroom and she's butt rear end naked on my bed in a "paint me like one of your French girls" pose. I laugh, cause it caught me off guard (PS never laugh at a naked person) and say something along the lines of 'oh honey, that's not going to happen.' She gets up, throws on her clothes, and leaves. Then she proceeds to text me like every couple weeks and I just don't respond. Don't want anything to do with that.
A month had passed since her last message. Out class had our holiday party at a bar last night. She was our bartender...

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Grittybeard posted:

Might be short term good for you, but almost certainly long term bad as I understand it.

Amazon does cool poo poo

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

So long as you don't work in their warehouses.

Plus I wonder how they'll change if they ever manage to actually successfully gain a monopoly in any industry. It'll 100% be bad for consumers.

I know some people who work in one of the warehouses and they say it isn't a bad gig

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is it good or bad that one of my first thoughts is that at least I won't have to do anything with her stupid rear end family this Holidays

Lol my ex broke up with me the day after Christmas last year so I still had to do all that poo poo.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Maybe it's just my dumb, simple mind but... just get off twitter, right? Like if every time I posted something y'all told me to gently caress off I'd go away, but maybe that's what separates most of us from the RG3s of the world.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Leperflesh posted:

If Mark Twain was alive today, we'd probably be hearing about all the women he fondled or something.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
A lot of people in here are real bitter about investing in crypto... It made me good money and it is possible to do responsibly, but whatever, you do you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Neil Armbong posted:

Have you liquidated your gains? There's a lot of paper millionaires rn like in the first dot com boom, but it means nothing if you can't spend or access your investment.

Yeah I liquidated last month to pay the fees for my next semester of grad school

• Locked thread