Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Anytime the whole HUAC comes up I always love to point out to people the entire "commies in the govt" was invented outright by an alcoholic pill popper who was going to lose an upcoming election and went whole hog on accusing anyone and everyone he could get away with "four are freedums" and succeeded wildly.

And republicans today look back fondly and wish they could do the same to their enemies again today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Sometimes I think back to the article from the hispanic guy who was called an illegal by all his neighbors in the south growing up, and decided he would join ICE and be the most brutal and cruel ICE agent possible, and then he found out he wasn't a legal resident, and was shocked that after all of his vicious anti-immigrant savagery and cop bootlicking his ICE agent buddies immediately turned on him and he was promptly deported.

Specifically, I think about the end of that article, where he hasn't changed his beliefs at all and still hates immigrants, he just thinks he personally got a raw deal.

That's conservatives in a nutshell. Bad things happen to people who deserve it, but when it happens to them its unfair and wrong but the system is still right.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Top City Homo posted:

wtf does any of this mean?

didnt peter coffin get catfished because he was a d list youtube celeb and then went through an existential crisis that turned him into a leftie?

a rich Italian white women told everyone she was a poc and used her influence and power to shut down any poc who disagreed with her

also she was pushing to "debate" the alt-right peacefully and boy don't you know all you need is words to change their mind anything else and you are part of the problem

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The abyss gazed back.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

FCKGW posted:

I went to try and figure out what specific item they were so upset about

Also these brain geniuses really had the FBI fooled.

For a quick second I thought FOX meant Fox News and this guy was just on camera saying this stuff at a reporter.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kanine posted:

i wonder if it would be a worthwhile pursuit for leftists to infiltrate rightwing online spaces and try to sow infighting? no idea how effective it would be compared to them just doing it on their own though

The whole "it's rape threats all the way down" thread title came from how all these alt right men will constantly threaten to rape women and when caught for some poo poo will immediately turn on all their friends and allies to avoid punishment. It's like a reverse terror cell where everyone knows all the crimes everyone else did and uses that as currency with the police/feds to try and avoid jail time.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fluoride Jones posted:

Imagine the noise alex jones makes when he cums

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhqUk28OwHs

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

it kicked off in 2014, so it’s actually going on 500 years now

Wasn't that was the first domino that basically wiped out the white male Internet Atheist communities too. Tons of them hopped on gamergate because it applied to their core ideas of women bad and "purity" of ethics, and as it fizzled and their fan-base shrunk all those so called rationalist thinkers turned into a bunch of tiki torch alt-righters real fast.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

it's not enough to sustain a right-wing project with just the hicks, you also need middle-class liberals who believe themselves to be defenders of the enlightenment. i think this is also might be somewhat of an imported british ideology since british liberals liked to justify the british empire as a civilizing "white man's burden." see, richard dawkins, christopher hitchens. i don't think dawkins supported the wars actually, but being anti-muslim was a big current to new atheism. and that allowed those liberals to get on board while also still staying "at odds with" the bush administration's evangelism.

jordan peterson, the IDW, etc. is a similar kind of thing and some of the skeptics jumped on board with it: sam harris, michael shermer. the idea is to create an intellectual / highbrow component to the right under trump. same bullshit about campus crazies but jordy p is polished and sophisticated enough to sell it to a different crowd. hack frauds, all of them.

Peterson is weird, because he kind of went viral really fast but sort of leaned more towards bad faith calmly debating intellectual stuff. That attracted a chunk of moderates very quickly and he was poised to really become a major right wing figure and then just...didn't.

I don't even think Joe Rogan is interested in him any more, and that's usually my bar for "what right wing grifter will appeal to centrists the most"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

kitten emergency posted:

proud boys and the chud brigades have never been the sort of threat that a lot of libs gas them up as. as individualized threats, sure, but if antifa just stopped loving showing up or made sure there were no targets for them, then they'd get taken off the streets by cops or peter out. if a bunch of dumbass white dudes in polo shirts is a threat to democracy, then we should go shut down tailgating at SEC games, because that's where these morons came from and its where they'll go back to.

people are going to be incredibly surprised at how quickly "all of this" goes away without trump

ed: it won't actually go away, but it's going to change into another form, because we're not going to address the structural issues that lead to any of it happening.

seems wildly naive

the point isn't "just let the racists have their little march" allowing it at all is a condemnation of society in general and not pushing back will just normalize it.

pacifism working is a lib fantasy and the only reason it worked for Civil rights was the cops couldn't get away with just murdering all the protestors once the spotlight was on them even though more then a few like Bull Connor absolutely would've tried.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

yeah this is how the KKK became so strong in the South for a while, because when you show up in force and outnumber the police you are the de facto power. this was what the Charleston rally was all about and if brave people had not shown up to oppose them directly in various ways we'd probably have a pretty different America right now. I still feel like Richard Spencer getting punched was an especially big turning point.

I'm seen some pretty good quotes about the antifa/alt-right dynamic and get really loving mad when people blame antifa for this poo poo.

quote:

If the Proud Boys don't hold rallies or protest, antifia isn't going to burn down a McDonalds for fun, they're gonna be at home playing Pokemon Go.

The alt-right wants to platform ideas of violence and hatred against a huge class of people, and explicitly endorse violence and death against the marginalized and powerless. "Antifa" shows up to make sure they don't get allowed to do it unchallenged because the more people hear things like "it's okay to kill trans/gay people" the more likely they are to think it's not a big deal when it happens.

Pretty shocked to see someone posting in an alt-right thread in cspam the idea that the alt-right is just going to fizzle out in a few months after trump has gone. That bell is not getting unrung this is the modern face of klan rallies and its here to stay as long as the police, FBI, and DOJ will spend more time ID'ing black protestors on twitter to show up at their house and charge them for property damage.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

kitten emergency posted:

i can't really argue a negative but i don't think there's any evidence that they would actually do this at all, especially given that there's been plenty of opportunities for alt-right militias to do exactly this and they haven't!

somehow the idea of just passively letting a ton of angry white dudes show up in milsim cosplay with loaded rifles doesn''t seem like something we as a society should just roll our eye at just because they haven't started gunning people down yet.

oh wait

Surely that was a one off-
https://www.csis.org/analysis/escalating-terrorism-problem-united-states

pentyne has issued a correction as of 23:04 on Jan 2, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

kitten emergency posted:

like i posted earlier, i think the alt-right shitheads will metastasize into some other form of shithead-ness. they'll drop the explicit WN poo poo and get into 80s style greed is good hypercapitalism or something. none of these morons want to actually die or go to jail.

"we have nothing to fear about the nazi party, sure the crazies like Hitler and Goebbles won't stop talking about exterminating undesirables, but the vast majority aren't going to want to murder people in their homes and risk going to jail"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

kitten emergency posted:

maybe i'm wrong, maybe you're wrong, who knows? the thing that PB lacks that the KKK had is actual ties to the community. the PB are, quite literally, rootless cosmopolitans of hate ferrying themselves around the country to cause problems. that's not really sustainable, especially when trump is gone to not act as a unifying ethos for them anymore.

literally jaq-ing off and arguing truth in the middle to defend complacency against a existing and proven threat to the rights and safety of any non-white non-cis person

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

kitten emergency posted:

for the most part though, i think the proud boys will peter out due to infighting. felony convictions aren't really great if you're trying to be a successwin business guy. /shrug

kind of like how the Klan stopped existing from 1920-1980 since they were scared of going to jail for murder and lynching?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Crow Buddy posted:

Why are you all trying to convince the dude with "have a memory of the past thirty years or so of american history" that right wing violence is an actual thing? He obviously knows what is going on.

Once Trump is out, it will be back to whatever was happening between 1991 and 2016.

So, no change?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I mean there are people serving life or multi decade sentences in Federal prison right now for vandalism while being leftist so it’s not unfounded.

Plus the cops are more then happy to spend days and weeks trying to track down black protestors from twitter pics and video footage to charge them with destruction of property while just shrugging and letting a gaggle of Proud Boys wander off after they kick the poo poo out of a journalist.

It's pretty obvious where the time and effort is going to go and who they really want to prosecute.