Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Rhyno asleep at the switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

QuarkMartial posted:

gently caress Amazon. This is twice now that orders with guaranteed delivery dates and times haven't arrived. UPS and USPS both love marking packages delivered when they haven't been. I pay extra for prime, too. So not worth it if they keep this up.

If you complain they will give you free prime.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Goober Peas posted:

Or tell you flat out they don't guarantee anything. I started taking screenshots of the order page where they, in big bold green letters say they guarantee delivery on xxxx date.

They've trained their customer service people to be assholes as of late.

I have literally always gotten a free month. Even when it was "expected by" rathen than guaranteed. I don't think I've actually paid for prime for like 2 years.
Note that I buy an absolute poo poo ton of stuff from amazon, so that might cause me to get better CS?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

ilkhan posted:

e: nm indeed
Stop talking about me.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Uhm, so I found out a good friend of mine from high school I lost track of was convicted of having to have sex with someone <14 yo. :catstare:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What was Aatrek's yearbook quote?

Lol, I do think i have my yearbooks somewhere.
It is weird, he was like the pure golden child. The last person you'd expect, which I am starting to think is the first person you should suspect of being a kiddy diddler.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

^^^^^
He has a pretty common name, so it doesn't come up when you google him. Lucky. He's on the sex offender registry though.

The quote was "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- einstein.
Which didn't really tip anyone off.

(I am at my parents house tonight and my high school yearbooks are literally on a bookself in my old bedroom.)

Edit: googling him and sex offender comes up with a lot, but I wouldn't have thought to google that. He was apparently caught in one of those online sting things.

nm fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 2, 2017

nm
Jan 28, 2008

1500quidporsche posted:

I just re-googled this and apparently its some radio host who happens to share the same name. Sucks for my old friend though, I'd probably change my name tbh.

Oh, wow that would suck a lot.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

CharlesM posted:

Did they like Star Trek?

I wish there was only one pedo out there, but no.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

CharlesM posted:

The RCMP or somebody said that a lot of the pedos they bust have Star Trek memorabilia.

He was a hardcore Catholic though.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Somewhat Heroic posted:

That sounds like someones own personal hell. Like a perpetual state of blue balls wherever you go.

And for the rest of the thread: McDonald's? :barf: I have not eaten at McDonalds...or Wendy's in over 16 years now. Why would you go to either of those places when things like In N Out or 5 guys exists?

McDonald's breakfast is good and cheap and I don't care what anyone thinks.
I'm imagine an egg mcmuffin with ham is one of the least harmful things on their menu anyhow.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Ok, I now think I understand the poo poo women go through with cars:
My mother calls a tire stire to enquire about pilot super sports for an rx-8. They say "we can't get tgose but we have some primaxy mxm4s."

Apples meet loving oranges.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Seminal Flu posted:

Best phone autocorrect in a while... rhyming "tire stire to enquire" made me smile. That a tire store tries to take advantage of whomever interacts with them, sadly, doesn't surprise me.

I dunno, every tire store I call with:
"I am looking for 245/45/17 (or whatever) Bridgestone autocross dick extenders" they are either "we have those in stock, they will be $LOL" or "we can get those in X weeks" or "they are completely sold out" (because it is right before solo2 nationals).
When she finally found some (they were needed ASAP), they still did the "you know these have no treadlife warranty" spehl.
I sort of assumed the whole call up with the exact size and tire you wanted (particularly if they were a decent summer tire) was the signal you knew what you wanted and kinda knew what you were talking about. I guess that only applies if you have a male voice.

I have an acquaintance who is an automotive tribologist (this is an actually thing, and apparently has to do with oil and friction or something -- I'm not that smart) and has, as far I as I can tell, worked for most of the big auto companies and can fix everything on even the most german of cars, and she complains about being constantly talked down to by car "guys" who don't know poo poo as well as part store people and the like, but this hit home for me. How do you go from Michelin's highest end tire to some boring rear end all season?

InitialDave posted:

American taxes are loving weird.

Unless you're self-employed here, you basically get it all done automatically under pay-as-you-earn and a rebate or additional bill only happens if someone's hosed up.
That is how it is supposed to work except that we have a lot of tax exemptions that aren't taken account for and our automatic deduction calculations suck and aren't very refined. They also completely fail when switching jobs or you have a spouse who makes a very different income (either way higher or lower).
Also, if you have any investments, it is annoying. I have non-IRA investments, so I set myself to overpay $1000 or so every year and some years, I owe a bill (which means I made money, woohoo) and some years I get $1000 back and some years I break even.

That said, if you want to basically owe nothing (and not overpay) every quarter or so, put your info in here:
https://apps.irs.gov/app/withholdingcalculator/
It will tell you exactly how to adjust your W4 so that your withholdings are within $100 or so.

And then there are state taxes, but thankfully California makes it dirt simple.

nm fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 4, 2017

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Sounds like someone needs a longer lens.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

cakesmith handyman posted:

They say the best camera you own is the one you have on you when you need it. Can you get lenses for smart phones?
I think they make some phones that can, but they suck as phones.

The Locator posted:

Far to simple to be allowed to happen that way here, we have an entire industry that leeches off of the ridiculous tax system and they'd go nuts if a simply system were ever proposed.
Yeah. It is why we can't have nice things.
In california, it is amazingly simple for state taxes. I literally plug in a few data points from my 1140 onto the state's online form and voila, taxes loving done. The feds could easily do this for anyone who only needs a to 1040-EZ or 1040a.
TBF, the tax industry also completely overplays how complex doing your taxes are so people will pay them money. 50% of america probably just needs a 1040EZ, which a trained monkey can fill out. People are told taxes are hard and complain about that, but I bet >50 of americans have never even tried to do them themselves.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Coredump posted:

Anyone watching the Super Bowl? As someone who has lived in Georgia all my life I'm scared to get hopes up.

Yes. I'm not rooting for the falcon so much as gently caress the pats.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Only hipster cred emgine swap is biturbos in everything. Ferrari engines in Fieros are cool too.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Fermented Tinal posted:

I'm worried I'm going to learn this is a real thing the moment I google it.

God I hope so.
There waa a ferrari 308 with a fiero v6 on jalopnik once and that needa to be countered.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Nothing satisfies you jerks.

Clearly murder would.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

ilkhan posted:

Ugh. Constipation sucks, but the opposite is worse. Dunno what I ate, but it wasn't worth this.

Getting old is the biggest bullshit on earth.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

* Looks at 3 grand coffee machine and bags of freshly roasted beans sealed in foil bag*

Aussies really can be as smug as poo poo about the rampant coffee culture that made sure the swill like Nescafe was permantly removed from offices. I'm no coffee drinker but I *still* dont understand how the USA puts up with the poo poo passing as coffee there. We certainly dont, Starbucks keeps going broke or reliant of idiot tourists.

Actually I dont understand how Australians got to have a Italian-like coffee culture in the first place. I guess coffee drinkers cant complain, your office doesn't have decent coffee? Go outside, throw a stone and pick one of the three coffee places it landed near.
The US actually has one of the best coffee cultures in the world, but the problem is that there are too many people here with non-functional tastebuds.
Our (many) 3rd wave shops will hold their own with anyone.
Also, Italy generally makes acceptable, at best, espresso. The goal in Italy is speed and consistency, which they do amazingly well, but consistency means that while you'll never have a bad shot, you'll never have a perfect one either.
It is me, I am the absolute worst coffee snob, give me all your natural process Ethiopians.

nm fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 9, 2017

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Safety Dance posted:

I find that single origin South American tends to be way more flavorful.
While you may prefer a south american coffee, nothing goves you quite the fruit bomb of a good natural process east african coffee. I had one where the tastings notes included "fruity pebbles" and by god it was true (and excellent).
Lots of roasters gently caress up the roast though and I will admit a lack of really mind blowing ones in the last year or so, but the best beans combined with a good roast is amazing.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Darchangel posted:

A associate opined that it's because Starbuck anticipates you loading it up with cream, sugar, whip, mocha, etc. Teh burn it so you can still taste something resembling coffee through all the poo poo.

The reason they do it is that starbucks is all about tasting the same. Coffee doesn't taste the same. Different regions taste different and beans from the same farm can taste different different years. You can either embrace that variety (3rd wave), blend it to try to make it taste the same (hard), or burn the every loving gently caress out of it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Even for Australia, this loving heat is stupid. Screw this for a joke

Is your dash melting? Apparently subaru is replacing a lot of melting legacy dashboards in the us for free.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

This guy gets it. Now excuse me while I try to get up and keep ridingafter that 22% hill. Fuuuuuuùck ouch

You wanna borrow my mountain triple?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Classic ends at 1976 because after that I have to get it SMOGed.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Get him to a vet right now. My cat was in similar shape and it turned out he'd be poisoned.

Seriously. Cats not eating means vet ASAP.

Also, I'm in Sacramento and allegedly not going to be hit by a wall of water. We'll see.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Adiabatic posted:

oh huh check that out
Goddamnit, you're not 14in.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Adiabatic posted:

I got you babe

e: good a place as any, should we go to a megathread or are the new threads the highlights of everyone's start to the month?

I vote new thread every month, occuring several days before the actual start of the month so everyone fights with the upside down people.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Adiabatic posted:

Monthly chat threads unanimous!

New rules thread up, mostly completely copied from old rules thread, as is tradition.

I do not wish to create joinder with the sloth.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

InitialDave posted:

How quickly did he get through the stack?

Made good jizz rags, I'm sure.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I have a new plan, after talking with a counselor over drill weekend (I ended up calling a crisis line Friday night -- not suicidal, but I was scaring myself with how sad I was):

I can't send mixed messages, so no "I love you" or anything messages today. Instead, I'm going to order some food for her while I'm at work, because that's a "neutral" gift.

Saturday morning, before she wakes up, I'm going to rent the smallest U-Haul box. I'm going to start packing it, and I've already got maybe 60% of my things boxed up and out on the back patio covered with a tarp. My tools are already cleaned up and ready, as shown last week.

When she wakes up, I'll give her the news. It'll be ugly. There will be crying. But, I'll keep moving things out while I do that.

Hopefully I can get away unscathed.

The counselor was very clear that she might not love me like I think, but instead most likely has a dependant personality that she interprets as love because she doesn't know better. She also says I'm not at fault for cheating, because I checked out years ago. But she says I AM guilty of having a caretaker, enabler personality, and I need to move away and :sever: so I can start my own healing.

I have to call the counselor (slash Colonel) Saturday night after I'm out and away. If I don't, she was very clear that she'd grab a few leaders from my national guard unit, and forcefully extract me from the house that night. A very clear, but understandable, threat/forced assistance. She also wants me to follow up every two weeks after, to check to see if I need to go back on either Adderall or anti-depressants. I was on both before joining the army back in 2010.

Catte still won't eat, but looks better and has more movement after giving him fluids and forcing formula down him every six hours.
Did you take the car to the vet?
Please do it. Cars only don't eat when really bad things are happening?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

The Locator posted:

I'm fairly sure the vet would wonder why he brought the bus in instead of taking it to a mechanic.

Autocorrect is an rear end in a top hat.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

This has to be the most 'murica thing I've ever read:
http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article132804184.html#storylink=latest_side

nm
Jan 28, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

Nah, the article doesn't mention the fight having anything to do with the chocolate fountain

Pretty sure that was implied.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Tough poo poo for Wickd Campers, some of the messages were even for Australia fairly off. Maybe if they had kept it amusing no one would have given a poo poo if some mummy blogger idiot was offended.

The most offensive thing about wicked campers is being stuck behind their slow, often smokey, asses until a passing point shows up.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

The solution is to buy cars no one wants.
For example, I bought a bright green manual micro car with 100hp in the IE (aka brodozer central).

nm
Jan 28, 2008

spog posted:

Pretty sweet pad, really

Like is $4000/mo in san francisco.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Any type of RN is okay with me. Maybe in 10-20 years being a charge nurse or something, but never director. All I want out of life, what's important to me, is a "noble" profession, and family. By "noble" I don't mean "inherently good" or anything, but something that you can see on an obituary and go "yeah, respectable enough."

Have you considered porn?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

BigPaddy posted:

Edit: Solicitor Chat: When friends have been buying the UK it always seems to be the Solicitor that makes everything harder. Look I know you decided to be a law wrangling person for a career and it is likely high on the brain numbing scale since not everyone can be like the lawyers off Boston Law but stop loving around.
As a lawyer (in a different field), your job is to be the rear end in a top hat, the one holding things up and picking at everything. Everyone else is all gung ho and everything is working great, and the lawyer is worried about everyone having title or whatever.
9/10, everything goes smoothly and the lawyer looks like an rear end. That other time though, and you're glad you had that lawyer for the most complex and expensive transaction of your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

BigPaddy posted:

At that price I would expect they are ceramic ones or something.

That is what I thought at first and then realized at the dealer that'd be a 5 figure service.

• Locked thread