Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i thought standards compliant usb c peripherals and cables could not cause damage

(most cables and peripherals do not conform to the USB standards)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Plank Walker posted:

if only apple had chosen to use usb-c audio, they could have set a de facto standard for it, unlike android, the most popular os in the world

they can just use the usb audio standard!

what do you mean it’s for sound cards, just put one in the dongle!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i was setting up for a cellular industry conference today and our booth is behind a row of Chinese ODMs that appear to be offering all the great knockoffs Android people love to import

the strangest thing is that they also appear to have VoLTE candy bar dumb phones front and center as well... how are those still a thing? surely they must actually be android as well?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

yeah and that's even after the original Nokia died and HMD took over. although iirc HMD has a lot of former Nokia employees

are some of the phones just minor variants meant for different areas of the world? like with different wireless bands support. i noticed the dumb phones were all 2g or 3g except for the matrix retro one which has LTE

it’s going to need VoLTE to work in the US in the near future
hspa is staying around longer in the rest of the world at least

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

infernal machines posted:

someone keeps buying these

i assume the canadian government buys them and destroys them as a make work program?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

so long as there is an office in canada there is a reason to move money to it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

its that or send it to bombardier

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

infernal machines posted:

https://www.aboutchromebooks.com/news/first-look-chrome-os-pixelbook-tablet-nocturne-madebygoogle/

they're making another hybrid one, because coherent brand strategy is for loving chumps

thats because its a coherent promotion strategy

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

if your google product has less than one hundred million users you can already consider it dead.

even then don't be so sure, more than 100 million people use toothbrushes every day

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

indigi posted:

my mother is a saint and has never hosed

Jesus?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

in the text of the review he keeps saying its poo poo but then says he inexplicably loves it regardless.

sarnsung syndrome indeed.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

they link this preview of the huawei mate x which seems like a significantly saner design

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj0eR09MqPM

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah I think it's from that contrarian era when ofc iOS didn't have flash because it was a brand new platform finally free of pluggin trash and rim decided to combine their quality platform knowledge with the high quality mobile app development experience of adobe to spite them

all i remember of it is the ad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3okYsV5mirY

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

it’s called mean, not lean

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mediaphage posted:

i don't think either happened, i think it was all performative to make sure google unblocked his accounts because changing everything, including youtube, would be a bitch

that isn’t performative, it’s just simple negotiating. no account, no game. seems pretty simple.

hopefully he got some money out of it too

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Kins posted:

lg is apparently considering just shutting down their smartphone division after being unable to negotiate sales to vingroup and, uh, volkswagen

alas, the world may never know the joys of a rollable phone

unlucky goldstar

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

If you don’t have to put up with qualcomm lying to you about bugs and restricting your ability to debug or support the hardware, that’s already a win.

the funny thing of course is that they actually do still have to put up with all that. what are you going to do, use a huawei radio?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sapozhnik posted:

promotion package status: not successfully assembled :(

since they linked the guy's linkedin it says he was there for 2 years, 5 months so he got at least 2/3 of his initial RSUs vested and saw the house burning down around him

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FMguru posted:

they realized that they needed to do the apple thing of building their own processors, and they do have some experience in making cpus (the custom cores for their data center servers), but they have a lot of catching up to do if theyre going to compete with apple in the mobile processor space. how long is that going to take, and does anyone think google has the attention span to commit the resources over time to make that happen?

they'll probably cancel the mobile processors just after tapeout because its taking too long

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

graph posted:

never 5get dyp bingo

unban fishmech

*checks notes*

wait no, is there a double perma

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mediaphage posted:

if google cares about money i assume this has to be the sort of thing they do more of. amazon clearly ate a lot of the lunch they'd like to have.

google is a joke when it comes to cloud providers, nobody is going to stake their business on something google might get bored about.

whereas on aws you’ve had 13 years to switch ec2 classic networking to a vpc and they’re only cutting off ec2 classic networking later this year.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

(outside of maybe ruby) when interviewing.

after I turned down a counter offer at my last job they asked if I would be interested in a lead dev position in another business unit. I said I’ll talk to them.

ruby and php. in 2022.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

graph posted:

yeah lol

they were all Cloud First so we did. then they got the first bill, lmao

the cleverest thing that aws does with serverless is all the training that has the subtext of “if you get a giant bill it’s your fault”

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i spot a problem even in this original plan

they’re good at their own cloud, they’re bad at well, any products

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeah, though ultimately it has never really been a thing that any game gets long-term support unless you are paying some subscription. only real reason games often keep working on some platforms (windows, consoles) is the platform not breaking backwards compatibility (through engineering effort or through simply updating extremely conservatively in general).

which i think is fair enough for the most part, the expectation that the much larger and more expensive/valuable body of software, all things that can run on the platform, should onboard the compatibility responsibility themselves is mostly the wrong way around. to some extent anyway.

though the main examples of “walled gardens” are gaming consoles and part of the point of the certifications process for games there is so that they will continue to run for the life of the console despite updates.

however, consoles do not promise compatibility between hardware generations and it’s generally a selling point and limited to certain games when it does happen. I’m not sure how that would translate to phones

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jenny Agutter posted:

[thinking really hard about how to criticize ICE cars ina yospos-approved manner] internal combustion is the blackberry of cars. tesla is the android of cars

the overwhelming majority of cars run blackberry, yes

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

really Tesla is the Ubuntu of cars

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

strangely every car except Tesla is moving toward android soon. right now most cars with screens have a qnx infotainment system where the built in services are Qt c++ programs along with the android and CarPlay programs. the architecture in the future is a qnx hypervisor with rt guests for like your hvac controls, vehicle options, digital dash, etc and an android guest to run the infotainment system applications like the radio and map software.

but everyone is just going to use CarPlay anyway instead of that android car stuff but maybe the built in apps will at least be useful to someone

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

going to find out if the watchdog can get tired

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

apple’s transcription is good enough to know if it’s something you should pay attention to

which is basically just like your dentist trying to reschedule or something, though stuff like that is finally often over email

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

part of that is the advertisers doing poor targeting.

from google’s pov targeting too broadly because you aren’t experienced enough is a feature, not a bug

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

companies may also be targeting a geographic area or everyone watching a specific type of video so you’ll see some very weird stuff occasionally

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i have definitely packed more chargers than clothes on very short work trips

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Celexi posted:

the gently caress, awful.app doesn't have search??? awful.apk even searches within thread. swapping the Sim back to my pixel 6 when I get home

feel free to knock yourself out:

https://github.com/Awful/Awful.app/issues/23

https://github.com/Awful/Awful.app/issues/735

yes I just linked a 10 year old feature request, it’s the open source way you’re going back to with a Linux

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

this is really funny because like azure’s and AWS’s offering it also amounted to (Amazon terms, sorry) an api gateway and a lambda. it should cost nothing to keep alive and anyone that uses it can only use it to buy more of your services.

that they couldn’t just leave it running is pretty damming to anyone ever considering adopting google for anything

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

what, you’re not optimistic about android automotive?

not android auto, that’s something completely different

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

that drives me bananas. is there a way to make it automatically go to the highest setting and stay there? every video now it seems i have to go "wow wtf" and remember to set it off of 480p

is it not? i mean it's not literally an over/under, but you can bet after/before for the same effect.

i bet after. youtube is too well established a brand to change its name outright. but i would bet before for the next rebrand of youtube red / youtube premium / youtube tv / whatever

it’s closer than most other uses of over/under but it’d be a prop bet of some sort

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FlapYoJacks posted:

If Apple implemented RCS it would be the exact standard. The problem with RCS right now is the standard is complete and utter garbage and even Google uses their own modified standard that they refuse to give to anyone else without all your messages being routes through Googles servers, which Apple really does not want to do.

RCS is a complete clusterfuck and required every carrier to do something to enable the new messaging as well as accepting and relaying them. the carriers being carriers needed to be dragged kicking and screaming for 6-8 years after iMessage was released to even start to implement the standards that would let built in messaging work vaguely like iMessage. finally google said to the carriers “gently caress it, we’ll run our own servers, all you have to do is forward everything related to RCS to us and we’ll manage it all”

as a result… we have apple iMessage which is proprietary and a standard that is completely reliant on google because GSMA and MNOs couldn’t get their poo poo together over a decade

I did a little effort post linking the standards and dates. the initial RCS standards go back to 3g iirc

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 28, 2022

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lysidas posted:

like imagine if you called a t-mobile person using your verizon phone and it sounded like poo poo because the common protocol was poo poo, and apple built a better version of this protocol/communication method, and then t-mobile and verizon and google whined that apple wasnt giving away what they built

a random Bluetooth headset and windows install is a good analogy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

we’re talking about in the security thread. Basically 5 years ago someone at google changed the behavior for the write only flag in an android core library from using the C fopen behavior to the POSIX open behavior.

In fopen write only implies the truncate flag which zeros out the file on open. In the posix open write only does not do anything to the file until you write to it.

it is not clear if this was an intentional change