Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

JazzFlight posted:

On an early seasons rewatch, I decided to wade into Season 10 a bit and stopped right at the episode where Homer finds out his middle name and becomes a hippie. That was the worst Homer had ever acted on the show so far, just complete rear end in a top hat to everyone.

I also think an earlier ep where Homer gets drunk and stares at Maude's cleavage, then tries to get out of marriage counseling and barely apologizes to Marge is pretty bad, as well.

The hippie episode had some ok moments (I know a place that’ll saw your legs off!) but the plot is a train wreck. Mr. Burns wants to hire younger workers so Homer wants to become an actor and learns his middle name then joins hippies and gets the town high and now he’s shot in the head, uh roll credits.

Definitely a case of the staff wanting George Carlin to appear but not caring about the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

A clip from season 17 popped up on YouTube. The church is having a model duck race in a river to win a "FeMac" computer, an iMac for women (impoverished Reverend Lovejoy gives out computers?). Homer cheats by firing a silenced pistol at the other ducks, then runs into the water and gets churned through a windmill, as characters using guns followed by a prolonged injury scene is comedy gold, and not an attempt to turn Homer into Peter Griffin.

I looked up the credits, of course it's written by Dana Gould and showrun by Al Jean.

Hachi machi, glancing at the episode descriptions for season 18. Kent Brockman moves in? There’s a volunteer fireman episode? There are 11 seasons after that?!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

Seconding this. Good podcast. Much better than other, vastly inferior Simpsons podcasts where all they do is repeat the jokes from the episode *coughcougheverything'scominguppodcastcough*

Talking Simpsons is good, I liked their Simpsons video game crossovers with Retronauts.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Horace posted:

looking forward to this dialogue

LISA: oh my god! it's Netflix chief content officer Ted Sarandos!
NETFLIX CHIEF CONTENT OFFICER TED SARANDOS: hi lisa

You jest about their laziness in shoehorning in celebs, but remember: “Hey, Homer. I'm actor Steve Buscemi.” And that was sixteen dang seasons ago!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Argh that was one of the deadly episodes that confirmed the show was gone for good. That revelation that Eddie and Lou don’t have last names, to make a bad in-joke about producers, was a nail in the coffin.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

CodfishCartographer posted:

I was mostly making a joke about how newer episodes are so ridiculous that they're practically black mirror eps, but holy poo poo I remember this episode now, it’s all coming back to me like some horrible forgotten dream. Also wow, that was only a few seasons after poo poo like You Only Move Twice and Homer's Enemy, how does the show go so downhill SO fast?

That’s a good question, especially as it was written by John Swartzwelder. Looking at Swartzwelder’s writing credits, what the heck happened to him post-1997?

He went from writing some of the best, like Bart Gets an Elephant and Homer the Smithers, to garbage like Kill the Alligator and Run, Monty Can't Buy Me Love, and Simpsons Safari.

I wonder if he just stopped caring and collected paychecks, or burned out.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Even Jimmy Pesto stops being a jerkass and supports Bob at times and it's sweet. I wish I lived in that sort of town. I assume it's mid atlantic to coastal new england or something.

It�s New Jersey, in �It Snakes a Village� they go on a road trip and the map shows them start there.

Agreed it�s a good show, gonna watch the newest one tonight.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Drunken Baker posted:

Wasn't that pre-zombification? Not saying it makes it any better, but if it was done NOW it'd turn out that Ned was pushing 100 or something ridiculous.

Season 10, definitely not golden age anymore but still a good episode. I liked Moe scalding himself with holy water and Homer planning to use two wives only for chopping and digging.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

It's amazing to me that Bob's Burgers is in season 9 and the quality has pretty much never faulted, and every season ends up having a bunch of great episodes. They aren't as memorable as classic Simpsons, but very little is. It's the perfect lightweight show where you can pick almost any episode at any time and it'll probably be enjoyable.

Yeah, it’s a good show that sometimes veers into greatness. The characters are likeable and the stories are fun and I can expect a sensible chuckle twice per episode, but I rarely go back and rewatch any (except for the Thanksgiving episodes, the Totoro and toilet turkey episodes are top tier.)

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

There's a podcast called Talking Simpsons and these days every episode is 3 hours long

Yeah, they’ve forgotten about editing. These episodes are getting near Return of the King length every week. If I listen I end up mashing fast forward until the next clip plays.

It was too bad Chris Antista left, he wasn’t perfect but helped call out Bob and Henry for being too woke for a cartoon podcast. It’s bizarre to hear them declare multiple times without irony that their show is pro-sex worker. We Hate Movies is adamantly pro-mafia but as a joke.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

What’s wrong with being pro sex worker? It’s not the same as being a violent gang member.

I agree it’s a good thing, but off mission for a cartoon retrospective show. When We Hate Movies says they are pro mafia it’s meant as a joke, as it would be strange for a comedy show to adamantly support organized crime.

Post 2016 election Talking Simpsons has gone into so many political rants it can feel like Chapo lite. I want to listen to a Simpsons show to hear about Simpsons, not get a reminder of what horrible thing happened last week.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

Hooked on TJ Hooker is a good podcast about one show.

It’s a hilarious show. Especially when Sajdak and Jupin guest star.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

Yeah Bob actually killing Bart, even in a non-canon a THOH episode, was kind of gross and along the lines of Skinner being not Skinner. You establish the theme and you iterate on it, not entirely reverse it and go the other way entirely. If it had been “just a dream” right before Bart dies and he wakes up like it’s Groundhog Day or something along those lines where we never actually see him die, that would be a lot more interesting. It’s the same reason the episode where Scratchy finally gets Itchy before the TV gets unplugged is so good, it never actually shows the payoff. Once you cross that threshold there’s no impact from then on, including looking back at all the Bob/Bart episodes. It ruins it retroactively. It just shows how little the writers care about the show now that they’re willing to burn bridges like that.

That was the last THOH I watched, yeah that was awful for the Bob/Bart dynamic. Instead of Bob having an interesting crime plot that Bart foils, we get a middle aged man keeping the body of a 10 year old in his house to repeatedly mutilate and play with. It gave Bob a child predator vibe he shouldn’t have.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

this is the worst thing I’ve ever seen. that was supposed to be a parody of the final episode of some show , right ? it came across as mean spirited , depressing , and morbid for something that’s supposed to be a fun TV show .

Agreed, the Homer/Wiggum section sums up all that is wrong with the show.

I did like how it immediately went to “Executive Producer Al Jean”, like the BTK killer taunting the police

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Also, why were the police called to begin with? If Homer walked in with a sandwich and just made a regular transaction, there was no robbery. Who called the police? Did Homer actually rob a bank with a sandwich? God drat it everyone

Alternate Wiggum lines:
“That’s for kicking me out of the B Sharps!”
“That’s for cheating at the chili cook off!”
“That’s for making my son tar your roof!”
“That’s for getting me out of the tub seven times with your autodialer!”
“That’s for betraying the Stonecutters!”

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 2, 2018

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

I've skipped every clip episode. Is there anything interesting about them; ie they do something cool with the format? Or are they just clip shows

Another Simpsons Clip Show is the worst episode of the first eight seasons. About two minutes of original content?

Gump Roast made me give up watching regularly.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Quote-Unquote posted:

The weirdest bit of editing in the Simpsons in the UK is when Barney helps Homer escape work so they can go to the Duff brewery.

Barney yells "hey, is that Princess Di?" and pulls his car forward, causing Homer to plummet to the ground, then says "nah, it's just a pile of rags".

All of Barney's dialogue got cut after Princess Diana became a guardian angel for Our Maddie or whatever happened, so it looks like he just pulls his car forward for no reason.

Hahahha dang. Hope the Big Book of British smiles survived the censor’s scissors.

When I first saw Itchy and Scratchy Land I thought it was darker than it really was, as when Marge orders the baby guts and Lisa says “that’s veal,” I heard “that’s real.”

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Horace posted:

Patty and Selma get their comeuppance - when Homer saves their jobs, they lose their leverage over him and he immediately seizes the opportunity to quash the debt without paying any of it back.

He’s in flavor country! It’s a big country!

I liked the idea that Las Vegas has someone standing by a phone waiting to take roulette bets

Sell the pumpkin futures before Halloween! Before!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Rewatched $pringfield. The streets paved in gold is so wonderful. And the factory for aquacars

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

ExplodingSims posted:

You should probably go back and rewatch it then, because I think it holds up pretty well. It has a lot of touching moments and somedy in it.

-Megaphone prank
-I'll Die before I surrender, Tim
-Marge singing to Lisa on the tape
-Welcome to Flavor country

and one of my favorite lines: "That was some good corn"

Agreed. Also:
-therefore, you will the last class to face this challenge
-wars fought in outer space or a very tall mountains, with tiny robots
-company L smells

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

It was up against an appallingly bad family guy episode and even a subpar BB episode so for the first time since it ran concurrently with those shows, Simpsons was the best Fox cartoon of the night.

Bob’s Burgers has been struggling, and I want the show to be good. Last one I saw was Tina tried to build a radio to talk to aliens and the whole thing was nothing.

Rewatching older episodes, Gene had a weird character evolution. He went from saying odd things to which other people reacted, to saying elaborate word play that no one seems to hear. It doesn’t work, seems to be a way for the writers to show off but hurts the story to have a non sequitur machine.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Cosmik Slop posted:

I'm rewatching "Cape Feare" and jesus christ, the writers were on loving fire for this one. They're managing a perfect line every two goddamn seconds. It's almost too much to take in. It's like freebasing pure comedy.

The John Elway fantasy is so good. Homer wanting to get a touchdown but lose the super bowl by a huge margin and having an old fashioned helmet... love it.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Missionary Positron posted:

The best one though is when Homer crashes his clown car into a tree and flies out of the car after a slight pause:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gGFhNWNJio&t=86s

The timing is just :discourse: , it's like the entire concept of humor distilled into a few perfect seconds.

Agreed that is a great segment. Just noticed that if the tree weren’t in front of Milhouse’s house, Homer would have crashed into the crowd

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

During Krusty’a stint hosting SNL, he says “When Lorne asked me to host this show I said, "Lorne, why me?"

Dumb kid me didn’t know anything about SNL and thought he was saying “Lord,” and claiming God asks him personally to host shows.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Frog Act posted:

the episode where bart is wracked with guilt because santa's little helper kills a bird, so he gives him away to an ostrich farm and in the process is attacked by ostriches forcing santa's little helper to contradict his newly-internalized anti-bird killing impulses to protect bart is a runner up to that one. it's just complete nonsense.

Yup, good enough for a B- from AV Club. They need to be handing out Ds and Fs to late season Simpsons, but they’d probably lose access to Disney premieres

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Cubone posted:

didn't avclub used to be Onion staff writers being just serious enough to not be talking complete nonsense?

I swear they used to have articles where they would make fun of dvd commentary tracks that went horribly off the rails and poo poo like that

Yeah, Onion and AV Club lost their spark more than a decade ago. They used to be must read, now we get “As stated an official Univision press release on the topic, "Univision Communications Inc. (UCI) […] today announced that the Company has initiated a formal process to explore the sale of the assets comprising the Gizmodo Media Group (GMG) and The Onion."

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

You Are A Elf posted:

Then I remember watching an episode where Bob genetically modified himself to have gills and grasshopper legs and other stupid poo poo. gently caress this dead dumb show.

quote:

He chases them to a body of water and they beg him to sing before he kills them. He obliges, but Marge, Homer and the teen-abstinence group come to stop him. When Lisa talks about Walt Whitman, Bob realises he has become a monster and attempts suicide by drowning, but then remembers he has gills.

They need to start taking Emmys away. I wonder at what point, with all episodes taken into account, King of the Hill will objectively be better.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

At this point it probably is. Even bad KotH is considerably better than bad Simpsons at this point and there were proportionately far fewer bad episodes of koth.

Yeah, their episode descriptions sound like parodies:

quote:

Homer discovers Maggie can whistle. Meanwhile, Marge designs Fat Tony's brothel.

Guest stars: Nick Fascitelli as Professor Whistler

Wouldn’t mind seeing Groening go through a late career George Lucas re-evaluation and go from being king of a genre to weird out of touch crank. He’d still have infinite money so don’t think he’d mind.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

I watched Bob’s Burgers super religiously until Season 6 when I realized that season’s 3-6 had just been the same 3 plots tossed in a salad spinner over and over again.

Yeah it’s gone way downhill. I wonder if they lost their core writing staff. Bob is the only consistently fun character and he’s usually banished to the B plot doing something with Teddy that doesn’t involve leaving the restaurant.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Plan Z posted:

I think there's one where they're making jokes about unions but it's kind of layered to be "Unions can be corrupt and useless but the people ripping on them benefit from them" and the show draws a little attention to that, but one of the casters says something along the lines of "Well of course these are Ivy League guys so they're gonna think that about unions." And it's pretty obvious that they didn't get the full joke the writers intended.

Also recently, they did the episode where Krusty does stand-up and they get to the "Excuse me, do you like to laugh?" exchange with Marge, and both guys agree that Marge not wanting to laugh at mean jokes is an old sexist trope that women don't like comedy when no it's pretty much that Marge wouldn't like mean-natured humor, and that it's used as a setup for the guy talking her to lose interest and change his attention to Homer.

Kind of overstating it. I overall like the podcast and I've been burning through it on my delivery/cooking job, it's just that I sometimes groan out loud at how West Coast City-Folk they can act.

Yeah they are in Berkeley and it shows. I used to be a fan and Patreon backer but over time they got too annoying. I agree with most of their politics but dammit we get it you are woke please talk about the Simpsons and not complain about those who wronged you in high school two decades ago for three drat hours.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Does this mean they've done away with the formula of the completely unrelated 'A' story being the first act, followed by the 'B' that would take us through the next act and a half?

Watching anything from Season 5 reminds you of what a great show it was no matter what

e: when Homer throws down the baby gate- "heh heh heh, get 'im, Ma" is one of the funniest loving things and I have no idea why

Plus the greatest end credits in the history of television

You have selected POWER DRIVE!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Analytic Engine posted:

Longshot:
Does anyone know the podcast episode where John Mulaney "jokes" that Matt Groening's initial creative input sucked? And that it was only the talented showrunners (Sam Simon & JLB) that made something of the Simpsons despite getting 1% of the credit. He was pretty brutal in a charming "John Mulaney" way

I’m a fan of the theory that Flaming Moe’s was a veiled attack by Sam Simon on Matt Groening for stamping his name on everything and wanting to claim sole credit for the show being successful.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Fawf posted:

They just dumped all over the Lord of the Flies episode, I wouldn't be so quick to write them off as Simpsons shills. And I just watched This Little Wiggy in my rewatch several weeks ago and thought it was perfectly fine, maybe some people like different episodes than you???

They’ve definitely gone from hating post-golden age episodes to “c’mon everyone, there’s some good stuff among the wreckage.” Can’t really blame them, as the show’s Patreon is their main source of income and if they want to keep getting interviews with staff they can’t really attack Al Jean anymore.

Look at what Bob was writing here five years ago: https://www.somethingawful.com/news/simpsons-crossover/

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Plan Z posted:

That's always been a thing. They can't produce like $200 for an air conditioner, but Homer will slap down $1100 in cash for Itchy and Scratchy money.

If Homer has an extra $1,000 he should buy more Dimoxinil. He knows it works.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Final episode should have been season 10, episode 3, Bart the Mother, with Phil Hartman’s last appearance. If they ended it there nothing of value would have been lost.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

On the plus side, Washington Governor Jay Inslee got animated on the Simpsons. At least I think one of those vague men was him.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

I just rewatched Lisa vs Malibu Stacy and it might be my new favorite. Tress MacNeille is amazing in it and every line is loving gold.

Krusty in the recording studio is pure goodness. I love ending the scene with the engineer’s “what the?”

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

I decided to torture myself by watching The Simpsons last night, but I fell asleep before the first commercial break. Goddamn does Marge sound like she's about to keel over.

I listened to Castellaneta as Krusty in a WTF interview. It’s only funny when his Krusty is pretending to be burned out and exhausted.

I’m surprised core cast members haven’t called it quits and retired. Must be the studio allows ridiculous accommodations and pay for scant amounts of work, and it’s not like any of the cast would make the jump to movies.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

WeaponX posted:

No showrunner should be doing one show for twenty years, no matter how good they are it’s gonna get stale with such an enormous time frame. I’m sure there are exceptions for the best of the best but I don’t think that includes Al Jean.

No matter the talent or intentions, this poo poo it just unsustainable in its current form

Good point, if Bill Oakley were entering his 23rd season of showrunning it would still be in bad shape. Although he does seem to have self awareness so it wouldn’t be as dire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

That was the first new ep I've watched in more than a decade, wanted to see if Doughboys cameo had a speaking line (it didn't).

I know it's been said before, but holy cow Julie Kavner needs to step down. Get a replacement or retire the character. Hibbert sounded off too.

I did chuckle at the climate change joke where Homer looks out one window at a blizzard and then out another window where a firestorm is taking place.

Of course we have a Springfield angry mob, Sideshow Mel yelling, and the Yeardley Smith cameo stops the ep dead. Like when Stephen King showed up in Sons of Anarchy to signal it was time to stop watching.