Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I really enjoyed the Awakening LP. This... it starts with anime French maids as a class in combat and goes downhill from there.

Why are turn-based squad tactics games like Fire Emblem and X-COM so rare?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

inthesto posted:

It's a niche genre but I definitely wouldn't call it rare. Shining Force existed back in the day and there's also the Ogre/FFT franchise too. There was quite an influx of them both on GBA and DS though they tended to be mediocre at best. Yggdra Union and Luminous Arc pop intoin immediately.

Yeah, but I was meaning less anime and more for PCs.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tae posted:

Shadowrun pretty much uses the cover system of XCom except the outside-combat part is a full on CRPG like Pillars of Eternity or Baldur's gate.

Yeah, Shadowrun and X-COM are the only satisfyingly non-anime (Awakening somehow endeared itself to me) turn-based squad tactics games on PC I've seen in the past decade or so.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Because PC Gamers can just play 4X games, and I sure as hell spent a lot more time playing stuff like Master of Magic than Shining Force or other TBS stuff as a kid.

Like I said, I don't like overly anime games - Awakening was the only Fire Emblem game I enjoyed - and turn-based squad tactics can be pretty fun. Awakening, X-COM, and Shadowrun are all great games, and scratch a different itch for me than Civilization.

Still, will be reading this LP with interest. I think I heard some noise about it when it was released, that it's the first game in the series to acknowledge that gay people exist?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

chiasaur11 posted:

Not quite. There have been a lot of relationships in the series that have implied in that direction, ranging from Lyn and Florina and Raven and Lucius getting paired endings through Heather being an explicit lesbian and Ike and Soren maybe having something going on in Tellius, right through Awakening confirming that Kjelle is bi as all get-out with DLC dialog amounting to "Severa, my deepest innermost desire is to bang the holy hell out of you."

What sets Fates apart is that it's the first game that has explicit gay marriage. Each route has one bisexual character who can marry a Corrin of the same gender. Oddly, there's another bisexual character who can't marry anyone of the same gender, despite a pretty explicit preference.

But yeah. There was a lot of noise about it, in all directions.

Huh. Interesting. I'd assumed the series took the usual Japanese stance of "And then they grew out of being queer when they became adults, the end."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

AradoBalanga posted:

Nohr likes the Minnesota Vikings, obviously.

Purple People Eaters, anyone?

Nah, Nohr is rocking the Saints. Would make a lot of sense given how they're acting, honestly.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Aesclepia posted:

I also loved hearing at the video game store about guys who bought Conquest because it was harder and then returned it, crying.

Huh? Why? Anything that has grogs raging has my interest.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Camel Pimp posted:

She's a pretty effective showcase of everything wrong with how video games portray women.

I dunno, out of curiosity I looked up who's the series' first marriage option for queer women, a part of this game's cast, and holy crap who thought that was a good idea? I guess the likes of her and Sera are at least proving that gay and bi women in RPGs can be complete asshats and loving creepy. Equal opportunity.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

chiasaur11 posted:

And, well, Tharja was a hit with fans. Big hit. Despite being an optional character (you can kill her off without ever knowing she's recruitable), she was one of the highest ranking characters in several popularity polls, with the most recent global popularity contest putting her as the fourth most popular character in the entire series (With Lyn, Lucina, and Ike taking gold, silver, and bronze, respectively.) People liked her, both for the obvious reasons, and because she's got some pretty good schtick aside from the stalking, both in her Aubrey Plaza style 'sunny' personality bouncing off the more upbeat members of the cast, and in her attempts to be the classic evil witch failing due to her own intrinsic (and unwanted) decency.

...The gently caress, Fire Emblem fans? The only reason I put up with Tharja at all was because some of Noire's supports were funny.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

inthesto posted:

She's obsessed with the player self-insert and barely wears anything. That's literally all it takes.

I usually tossed her with Vaike because the biggest asshats in the cast deserve each other.

Then again, I've soured on Awakening in general. A lot of the supports still make me laugh, but in retrospect it's a painfully sexist game in a lot of ways and most characters are one quirk or personality gimmick taken to absurd extremes. Cordelia, Sumia, and Olivia are not much better than Tharja.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

AradoBalanga posted:

Same here. Every Fire Emblem just has those characters that the RNG dunks on whenever it gets a chance to, and Rinkah is one of them for me. Sometimes the RNG throws me a bone and lets her have or or two good levels, but after that it's ye olde pray to the RNG gods to not gently caress her over. Another one for me is Beruka, but we'll get to her when we get to Conquest.

On the other hand, sometimes the RNG decides you just need a god mode character. Working through Awakening at the moment and the RNG has bequeathed upon me Miriel the destroyer of worlds.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And I thought Awakening was weird.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

LEGO Genetics posted:

Ah man there's like three Corrinsexuals for a male avatar in Birthright to choose from but we choose the Hoshido sister who was a mere afterthought and gives terrible hair color for many children.

Gingers are not terrible.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
With all this plot stuff around Azura, does anything change if Corrin marries her? Or is she off-limits due to plot?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BlazeEmblem posted:

Corrin: "By the way, I'm going to marry your daughter"
Other person: "Could you wait until they are at least a week old?"

And from what we've seen of this game:

Other person: "Also, that's your niece/nephew."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Could be worse. Could be a Miriel reincarnation.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Booky posted:

I think the line "You're much stronger than before. I'm impressed. But I'm afraid it's still not enough." the first time is supposed to be something else, since it gets repeated right after that? (Elise :smith:)

Also, Female Robin is way cooler than Male Robin. :colbert:

Male Robin works for comedy purposes as the straight man to Awakening's whackadoodle cast. Lady Robin belongs in the traveling asylum with the rest of the nutjobs.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FoolyCharged posted:

I like how no records exist of kaze, married nobility.

And there's hardly any evidence that Azura, one of the most important characters in the plot with two separate kids in Corrin's retinue, existed at all.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

W.T. Fits posted:

Oh wow, they didn't waste any time gluing the idiot ball to Corrine's hands in this one.

I guess it's only to be expected, siding with the murderous invading gaijin and not beautiful and noble and proper not-Japan.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Heaven Spacey posted:

That being said, if you think this is bad, it's all downhill from here.

I was joking a bit, but Fire Emblem does occasionally strike me as excessively, well, Japanese in its attitudes. The good/right choice in this game being not-Japan and the evil choice being not-Europeans struck me as maybe not the most graceful writing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Inferno-sama posted:

:allears: I don't care if the plot is dumb and he can't hit for poo poo, Arthur is amazing.

That is... not the kind of character I was expecting with the evil empire faction. You have my attention, Fates.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CptWedgie posted:

Nyx - ...What is this garbage you're attempting to foist off on us, Fates? Seriously, not only is Hoshido pretty much objectively in the right in this war, but their units are almost universally better as well!

And Hoshido is apparently far more talented and better equipped, going by the difficulty.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I remain bewildered by Nintendo's choices of characters to bring back from Awakening. That or I clearly have very different tastes from the series' fanbase. Severa would have been near the bottom of the heap of characters to bring back for me, alongside the likes of Tharja.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Stephen9001 posted:

As a matter of curiosity, which characters did you like?

Lucina, Owain, Maribelle, Panne, Cherche, Henry, and Virion all come to mind. I don't care much for Libra himself, but I did like a lot of his supports where his hat as the very pious, very devout member of the cast clashes headlong with "If the gods are so good, then why is all this horrible poo poo happening?"

Virion in particular surprised me, and is my pick for my single favorite character from the Awakening crew.

All of those characters you mentioned except Lucina and Owain, I disliked intensely.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Apr 26, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
:xcom: just with more amusing anime teenagers.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
For heaven's sake, Ophelia, please put some clothes on. Or at least some pants.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CptWedgie posted:

I think I read somewhere that her supports were altered (in some cases quite heavily) due to controversy. Anyway...

She'd be infinitely more tolerable than the actual same-sex marriage option for women.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Endorph posted:

the same sex option for women is fine, the translation just ruined her.

She's a crazy stalker whose whole life revolves around the PC. Her wishing that she was a man so she could obsess over the PC properly is not an improvement.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

...Is he carrying a baguette into combat?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

chiasaur11 posted:

Counterargument.

Seriously, everyone else has pointed out how full of poo poo that speech is, but man. MAN that is some lovely everything right there.

It's a speech you give to a villain specifically so the heroes can roll their eyes and maybe make a "wanker" gesture. Giving it to a supposedly sympathetic character... yeah.

Eh. If Conquest was genuinely the "good people in a bad place trying to make it better" story that it was originally billed as, I could see his point as billing the protagonists as the lighter shade of grey.

Fire Emblem and shades of grey have never coexisted well in my experience with the series.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Eh, it's not like the protagonist being boring and never does wrong is something that started with Awakening.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And why is the king dude suddenly a slime monster? I don't remember this from Birthright.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Stephen9001 posted:

I'm not quite sure what to make of that...

Japan. More so than any other Fire Emblem I've played or seen played to date, Fates feels like it was made and written from a very Japanese viewpoint, with Hoshido as the very proper faction and Nohr as a bunch of colorful barbarians.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Avalerion posted:

I'd vote for purple's expression but I don't like the nose bandage (what trope is this anyway..?), so red hair it is.

Same.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Inferno-sama posted:

No, that is exactly it. Every 40 years, Nohr gets a moment of good weather and Hoshido gets a moment of bad, then their weather reverts to normal for the next 40 years. That's when the door to Valla will open or close. Problem is, this just makes everything even dumber, since it means that Nohr has perpetually bad weather and Hoshido, instead of helping them, just goes "lol, suckz to be you" and does nothing (outside of Ryoma's support with Silas, but we've been over how that doesn't matter to the story). Why would you set up a kingdom in Nohr? Why would people live there? Why won't Hoshido help? These are all questions the game refuses to answer.

Oh, and if this needs to be spoiler tagged, since I'm not sure if it does or not, someone tell me. Don't want to give everything away before the game dumps more dumb onto us.

At least Skies of Arcadia, which similarly has a nation shrouded in eternal storms, points out that the constant rain is good for crops, and that nation does pretty well for itself.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
It's never really addressed, IIRC. You never go anywhere in that nation besides their capital city and fortress guarding the only way in. Every nation had something weird going on with its environment, though, for magical reasons - each was powerfully affected by a magical element, and that particular nation's element was lightning. So 24/7 thunderstorms.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

chiasaur11 posted:

Fun fact! Thanks to skirmishes, you can marry Scarlet before this mission, and even recruit the kid. You may wonder what that changes.

Nothing.

Even by Fire Emblem standards, that's going to be one messed up kid.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

LEGO Genetics posted:

Hana for Silas because I also want to suffer.

Agreed, Hana.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kay Kessler posted:

There's only one person worthy enough to be the queen of Hoshido, and that's Mozu.

Agreed. Mozu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tae posted:

I have said I will not spend any more on Fates

Next kid is Kaden's Daughter.

Might as well go maximum anime for Kaden. Corrine.

• Locked thread