Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Kuato posted:

people shouldn't jerk it to video games IMHO

Don't tread on me.

Pick posted:

Dragon Age II is the best video game of all time. This is not a joke opinion. I really believe this.

I've seen you post this many times and once again fate has delivered me to this very spot to call you wrong and suggest you get a CAT scan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Rape Stink posted:

Had both. Genny was flat out way better.

Mega Turrican, Gunstar Heroes, Ranger X, Sonic, Ecco, Phantasy Star, Shinobi, Strider, Alien Soldier, Golden Axe, Altered Beast, Streets of Rage, Flashback, Toe Jam and Earl, TMNT: Hyperstone Heist, Shining Force, Thunder Force, Ristar.

SNES's catalog ate poo poo compared to Genesis.

In hindsight, their roster was more impressive. Never occurred to me since I had neither system.

But I had GoldenAxe on PC and holy gently caress that game ate my homework so much.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

DICTATOR OF FUNK posted:

bethesda games bore the gently caress out of me; the longest i've ever made it was skyrim and that was like a collective 20 hours of gameplay

Skyrim is what made me so reluctant to play Fallout 4. It's ridiculous how much they've nerfed, oversimplified and generally dumbed down the franchise where you could once fly, climb sheer walls, bash down doors, rig your own trial so a massacre goes unpunished and cast spells big enough to fry entire towns.

But now you get dual wield! And there's dragons!

I swear, if the next game is just another you're-the-chosen-one-gotta-kill-the-dragonking I'm not even going to bother looking at it. Just consign it to the dustbin like fallout.

vvv yeah, that's the long and short of it.

phasmid fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 14, 2017

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

basic hitler posted:

i hope bethsoft licenses a Fallout spinoff to Obsidian again, because the gulf in quality between F3 and F:NV was frankly loving ridiculous. The worst part of F:NV were the things they couldn't get rid of from F3, like old assets and the game engine itself.

Yeah. Obsidian of all companies made the best Fallout. The only thing I remember really detesting in that game was that mountains were often unscalable. Oh, and cazadores.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
The games industry is deliberately trying to stem the tide of good games because they don't want to raise the bar. If they were truly innovating, we'd be seeing some amazing stuff. But the groundbreaking stuff is watered down or shelved and committees of "gamers" and suits now decide what constitutes a good game. They want to do to games what Hollywood did to movies: lower the bar, appeal to the lowest common denominator. One day only a few of us will remember actual good games and everyone else will be playing beautifully rendered tripe with mediocre voice acting.

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Women are well-respected in the general video game community and receive no harassment ever.

If they played more than glorified fantasy dating sims (like DA2), they would have more respect. Instead they cry when people threaten to kill them online, which is a tradition older than battle.net.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Chomp8645 posted:

I'm confused is this thread supposed to be about unpopular (but genuine) video game opinions we have or just straight up fake/ironic video game opinions because it seems like most posters are doing the latter.

It's hard to tell. You know if this was a thanksgiving table we'd drat sure have to ban discussion of games.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
There hasn't been a truly good stealth game since Thief: The Metal Age. Yes, I am counting both Dishonored games and the pitiful "stealth" engine in Deus Ex: HR and probably any other game you could mention (including you wiseacres that might mention the terrible Thief sequels). Bethesda's stealth systems were never as fluid or sensible and usually just felt tacked on to justify the stealth stats.

But it's been like twenty loving years and if somebody was going to beat it they would have done so by now.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Alien: Isolation is a crappy game that was bafflingly popular.

Amnesia in space, except you can run past most of the grunts.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

zegermans posted:

Supreme Commander improved on every aspect of Total Annihilation so completely that there's no need to ever play Total Annihilation again.

:psyduck:

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

new phone who dis posted:

And modded out the annoying fade parts.

Modding dragon age is like putting a bandaid on an autistic child's forehead.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Pick posted:

Dragon Age 2 is a spectacular game is about every way, and the only reason gamers dislike it is that it shines too clear a lens on the failures of other games.

Did you know that, according to Dante Alighieri, you will be locked inside of a smoldering crypt for all eternity?

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

basic hitler posted:

before he goes, he'll spend the rest of his life in guantanamo with a food tube up his nose. nobody is allowed to talk that positively about da2

Ever thus to Bioware fans.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Netstorm was one of the most fun RTS games ever made and everything about it was beautiful.

I don't know if this is "unpopular", but I never hear anyone mention it so I think it qualifies.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Unpopular opinion regarding achievments: I hate that the stupid monkey-retarded reward center of my brain lights up like a 4th of July barge on the Mississippi whenever the top left of the screen says some poo poo like "Lock'n'Load 6/10 (slay 10 warrior-bugs with a shotgun)". It snaps me out of the game and reminds me what a retard I am for playing it. Then I play it some more.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Games are Hitler.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Orange Sunshine posted:

His criticisms were silly.

He was saying, "No way, time travel and parallel universes don't work like that! Here's how they really work!"

It's like watching Lost and claiming they got time travel all wrong because Back to the Future is the only proper way to do time travel. But obviously time travel works however you decide it works, as long as there's some sort of internal consistency to it. In fact, every movie and tv episode and video game and any other work of fiction dealing with time travel have their own rules as to how it works, they're all different. It's like arguing that Geordi can't reroute the warp plasma through the deflector dish to produce an inverse tachyon beam or whatever the gently caress he's claiming he's doing. It's all made up, it works however they decide it works.

He didn't like Bioshock Infinite because he decided that parallel universes don't work the way the game says they work. This is idiotic and he should stop thinking about things as he's bad at it.

And yet with all the terminators Skynet sent back we still have this freaking Bioshock derail. Bioshock is crap. End of story.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Mahuum Aqoha posted:

There's never been a good zombie-centric game. Not even Zombies Ate My Neighbors, I hated that as a kid. The closest one for me was Dead Island and even that was a painful slog most of the time.

There was an Apogee game from the early nineties called Monster Bash, which heavily featured zombies. They would explode into gore and their eyeballs would fly everywhere if you shot them with a slingshot. The object of the game was to save puppies from Dracula.

It was the bloodiest children's game I can recall and that is why games today are 99% poo poo.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Bust Rodd posted:

Unpopular Video Game Opinion: This is the 2nd time I'm bringing up this franchise but it is completely baffling to me that in 2017 so many games get voice acting so very, very wrong when the Soul Reaver: Legacy of Kain games just knock it the gently caress out of the park and these are 15-20 year old games.

~Each of the three main dudes (Kain, Raziel, The Olde One) have very unique voices that really cut through the jibba-jabba of townsfolk and vampire hunters

~They are all real stage/small-screen actors, but can't have been that expensive.

~The batshit insane storyline and scene-chewing characterization work because all the actors just 100% show up to every single scene and every line is just a haymaker "I am A VAMPIRE" "Your SOUL, Raziel!" CHILLING!

Fun Fact: The publisher sent Michael Bell a playstation and a copy of Soul Reaver when it came out, but he couldn't beat the tutorial after like 3 days due to being an old man with lovely reflexes and not understanding the concept of gliding in the game "How do I jump twice?" and gave it to his granddaughter, who LP'd it for him.

I do miss those games. It's a shame they lost direction since the first Blood Omen, but your take is spot-on. Professional voice actors kick the poo poo out of getting ordinary actors to read parts. I can maybe see putting somebody with a very distinctive voice (e.g. Martin Sheen) in play, but if they're just movie actors, all putting them in a game is supposed to do is drum up sales. There are occasional exceptions: I didn't care for Mr. Blond in Red Dead Redemption but thought he did a great job as Daud in Dishonored.

One of the other funny things was on PS2 Soul Reaver 2 had an outtakes reel which was mostly just goofy filler, but there was one part where Michael Bell and Simon Templeman (sic?) were doing a readthrough and Bell just starts laughing that Templeman has to read three pages of dialogue and says "Poor Simon. He has to read a novel and I just give him a prompt. 'And?' 'He did what?' "

I miss Kain. gently caress you, Eidos. gently caress you for bringing aliens into a vampire game and so much more.

drat horror queefs posted:

Fact.

The bayonet charge tech in the new battlefield game is the single greatest addition to fps gameplay since quake 2

That's a bold claim, mister.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Rutibex posted:

bethesda needs to stop trying to tell stories. their strength is creating big fantasy world simulations, not linear stories. i put many hundreds of hours into the elder Scrolls games going back all the way to Daggerfall, and i have never bothered to beat a single one of them. the "main quest" was always the most boring aspect!

if Bethesda wants to make a good Fallout game they should do a procedural map of the entire wasteland United States, and fill it with randomly generated bandit factions and cities. let everyone explore their hometown as the wastelands. maybe throw a story somewhere off in the corner, but dont put too much effort into it.

They'd sure stand a better chance if they dropped all the chosen-one b.s. that basically redounds to a depressing, fatalistic world. In the words of Creeper, I don't want to work, I just want to bang on my drum.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Live action cutscenes were loving dope and it's a travesty that no one uses them anymore.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I don't think RTS is dead. It's just sleeping until we get back more of the fun, unpredictable chaos back instead of "balance" mostly decided by vocal tournament dorkwads who want everything so fine tuned they know whether to zealot rush or stalker rush. As basic hitler alluded, competitive multiplayer took the fun out of SC. It was plenty competitive before, with the trash talking and the win/loss ratio but nope, now we gotta kowtow to the South Korean kid with an average APM of 175.

DotA and her myriad clones are trash for babies who can't macro.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Play on a really big map. That makes people have to adapt their tactics. People with their build orders and rush strategies down pat hate bigger maps because it puts more units in play and changes it from short game to mid-long game. Why do you think all the SC2 maps people play on are perfectly symmetrical things where your enemies are right across the lawn from you?

Games with bigger, asymmetrical maps encourage more dynamism.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

basic hitler posted:

actually eq is good

That elf chick was hotter than any other cookiecutter fantasy pinup.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Rutibex posted:

yeah because she had massive knockers!

I mean in those days it was pretty much a tie between her and the actress in the first Dungeons and Dragons movie who, apart from the added virtue of being real, had a couple of good quips like when the guy hits on her and goes "I'd have to cast a feeblemind spell on myself to want to get with you."

Dear god how am I remembering this stuff.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Zombie killing games are racially charged survivalist fodder.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Yeah, but New Vegas.

Yes, I know this is the most obvious post but if Obsidian goes to court, that's part of their defense.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Outpost22 posted:

Mass Effect 3 is good.

Not as good as Mass Effect 2, but not the horrible let down everyone said it was. That being said I only played with the extended cut ending.

"Cheppird, we can CONTROL the Reapers!" *dramatic Darth Vader fist squeeze*

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

fruit on the bottom posted:

DOOM is a vastly overrated game.

So you're under 25 aren't you.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Then I am sorry for whatever made you this way.

cool new Polack jokes posted:

See I wouldn't know I only played the good one :smuggo:
See I used to envy console kids in the days of Genesis and SNES but then when everyone went apeshit over goldeneye I thought they were kidding. lovely controls, lovely weapons and that dumb ever-present droning that made up the soundtrack. I guess if you didn't have a PC in 1996 that would look like a loving miracle but I did so it didn't.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
That said, the only good game for 64 was Smash Bros. Eat it, fuckers.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

I was impressed by the original Half Life if in real time, but consoles were a great equalizer. Not every family had a computer, or if they did it wasn't necessarily a top of the line rig- many were relic word processors (or at least our parents told them they were only for work). So it was to their advantage to give us our own machine to gently caress around with so as not to interfere with whatever Grownup Business they had going on. Plus, a dedicated controller, and essentially the guarantee that nothing would go wrong- whereas a fatal exception or a BSOD was usually cause for a talking to for screwing around with the Expensive Work Machine :shrug:
Oh yeah. My folks had a work PC. It's just that they got a powerful one to run CAD stuff. So with DOOM coming out a few years before hand, it was well suited.

I will Super smash you you loving bitch
I mean, it was good. But Brawl is really the best one imo.

Wolfenstein, bitch.
I loved that game before I played DOOM. Then the floppy disk just sat in the little case and I never touched it again.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Unpopular does not mean "flat out wrong when seen from any angle", basic hitler.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Any thoughts on Lo Wang the Shadow Warrior, or have you spat all your bile for the time being?

I'm sorry good games get you so riled and you never had fun as a kid. Nostalgia is like the best VR there is.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
drat! I was close.

Yeah, I'm not gen x either. I'm just a guy who grew up with Doom.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

You were!

No idea where the wolfenstein copy came from tbh. My dad was super into the Medal of Honor WWII shooters but I can't imagine him playing it.
My dad brought home stuff from work. As I recall, just about all my friends had fathers who traded floppies at work. They didn't think of it as piracy, it was more like loaning someone a vinyl to them. Heh.

Panzeh posted:

alpha centauri is a piece of poo poo game compared to imperialism
That sounds like praise for this "imperialism" game.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Disgusting Coward posted:

Planescape: Torment stunk the most.
Power word: Kill poster

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

basic hitler posted:

and the worst piece of DLC is still okay

With ya right up til here. Ulysses squawking in my ear "the Divide, the Divide, the Divide" made me sad that you can only kill him once.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Yeah. Dean? Greed. Dog/God? Gluttony/greed. Christine? Wrath.

And the guy who got excommunicated from the BoS for being too extreme? The guy who derided you all the time as "just like the others" and only in it for the loot? Yeah, greed.

It was a good one with a good premise but holy poo poo there were some plot holes you could drive a truck through and sometimes the sequences didn't match up.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
1. Honest Hearts
2. Dead Money
3. Old World Blues
4. Lonesome Road aka The Diviiiiiide Christ I loving hate that guy

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
What's the appeal of aimbots? That's like negging a girl into your bed and then feeling proud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
People only hate Nintendo because they take a lot of chances and therefore produce some real failures. They have more balls than Microsoft and Sony, who stick to the same tired formula for years on end. There's my unpopular opinion. Suck it.