Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

itry posted:

There will be a VR game where you get to sit in a mech's cockpit and pull a bunch of levers and press a bunch of buttons. It's only a matter of time.

Vox Machinae has been around for a while and does exactly that. It controls really well, but the game structure itself is very basic.

It has a pully horn so you can honk like a train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Mouse input for camera controls (when set up correctly) is unfiltered, no acceleration curves, no snapping or lock-on. Input values from the mouse are used verbatim (though perhaps multiplied once or twice). Using a stick there's a bunch of layers that inputs travel through and all that filtering takes a toll on precision. For a lot of games it doesn't matter that much but for anything twitchy it can outright break the game; you can't reliably rocket jump in Quake with a gamepad.

If I'm directly controlling a camera I prefer a mouse, otherwise it feels like I'm constantly fighting a bunch of algorithms to get the camera to point where I want it to. But lapboards are a pain in the rear end so I can see why consoles settled on dual sticks.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Caesar Saladin posted:

relaxing on the couch with my gamepad being super rad while you pc gamers hunch over a desk like you're clicking cells on an excel spreadsheet
I play on a couch with this monstrosity

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I dislike dual stick for FPS games because I feel like I have less control and that makes the game less fun. The platform wars poo poo flinging is probably best ignored, as always.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Put trackballs on gamepads. Apple was right all along.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing Transformed is the best kart racer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZUaRcR_0CM
Submitted as evidence: the Skies of Arcadia track played by a sentient Dreamcast VMU that transforms between the Daytona car, the After Burner plane and a Dreamcast controller (as a boat).

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 29, 2021

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Where is this big blowback about reloading guns in VR? There's been complaints about the various implementations, but very few from those who actually think it's a bad idea. It's not like making a game out of a reload is even a new idea, Gears of War, even Cruelty Squad does it.

No one really knows what VR is for yet or who or what it's best targeted at, it's a platform where one of the big hits is a game where you are a gorilla with no legs playing tag. It's all niche audiences and the niche audience that plays shooters seems to want physical reloading.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

You aren't an outsider, you bought a VR headset. You are now tained by it, you are a VR enthusiast. Sorry.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

An outsider opinion about niches of niches.

The Quest is unambiguously successful in a way no previous headset has been. I'm more concerned about who is fostering it's growth and where their vision ends up rather than the medium actually succeeding in the market or not. Are there untapped niches? Definitely, but there's enough people messing with the tech that I'm sure someone will eventually figure out "cool vr shooter that doesn't have physical reloading" and it'll be a resounding success and you'll be right!

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I did some research and robo recall exists ah well

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Space Kablooey posted:

wanst space pirate whatever an okay VR shootymans as well? I know I've heard some praise for it at some point.

It's still pretty fun, but more of an arcade thing where you're in one place shooting waves rather than a true shootyman

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

Honeslty maybe I am just jealous of you guys that are able to play that stuff and be like "wow this is awesome" meanwhile my experience with basically all of them has been.

In theory- Physically reload the gun and interact with your inventory directly, sweet!

In practice-
Out of ammo, poo poo better get my backpack out
Allright cool got my backpack out on the second try, nice
oh drat both my hands are full now, guess I'll drop my gun
time to get this magazine...oh poo poo a throwing knife magnetized to my hand from 5 inches away even though I had my hand on the magazine, better put that back.
oops I dropped it on the ground
ok I got the magazine now, both hands full again better put the backpack away
I want the magazine in my left hand though, I'll just transfer it right over and...
oops I dropped it on the ground
Ok I'll just pick my gun up, eject the spent magazine
better pick up the new one up
why wont it go in the hole? It's just going through the gun. Goddammit
15 tries later *click*
Now why isn't it cocking. ok, got it
*click*
oh poo poo I just picked up the spent magazine and reloaded it. Guess I have to do this again
repeat process
*click*
Oh poo poo I left the safety on
Dead

This isn't one specific game just an amalgamation of how I feel most of the time I'm playing them. I feel like I am missing something where people are actually able to play and enjoy these and make them work better than this.

There's definitely issues with more detailed on-body interactions, but the assumption is that better IK and body tracking will solve most of them. Not all obviously, complex two handed interactions are tricky.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

kntfkr posted:

Aren't there companies that sell fancy virtual reality prop guns for virtual reality and it makes me feel poor when I look that stuff up so I don't??

There's a bunch, the best being the mag/protube and it's clones. It's more like scaffolding and is adjustable, but it's still a big thing hanging off your body all the time and gets in the way whenever you're not using it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Simulators and third person action games VR games have been made, the most popular VR platform to date has almost none of them.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I guess it's in the spirit of the thread

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I like the vehicles, particularly along the coast. Feels like a road trip.

Half Life 2 isn't really a shooter. It uses those mechanics, but the point is to be experiential and immersive, it just so happens that the game mechanics for first person games and the input paradigms that people are most familiar with are derived from shooters. As linear as the story is, it allows enough wiggle room in your approaches for the kind of emergent gameplay you might get from an immersive sim. The game is always desperately pleading with you to use the gravity gun so you're doing something other than aiming at enemy and click button till die.

Consider that the first "walking simulator" was a Half Life 2 mod. The guns aren't the point.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 8, 2021

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

68000 go brrr

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Butcher Bay is another Experience over Gameplay title in the vein of Half Life 2. The final mech sequence is in no way a gameplay challenge but it's the most satisfied I've felt playing a video game ever.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 12, 2021

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Just a terribly average videogame which gets bewildering praise
On a technical level it did dynamic stencil shadows and heavily utilized normal mapping before Doom 3's release, on XBOX even, and unlike Doom 3 it's gameplay systems actually took advantage of the technology. The UI is ahead of it's time, being entirely diegetic outside of the square pips that represent your health. Every character in the game with a speaking role has a dedicated voice actor, something most games with similar scope still can't manage and the story itself is fairly well written and paced, with a power fantasy near-ending sequence, again, before the release of Half Life 2 and it's super gravity gun bit. The game was multi-genre in a way most shooters at the time were not with working stealth, melee and long ranged combat systems. There was a level of care and effort put into it that makes it clearly stand out, despite a few moments where there wasn't quite enough polish applied than what it deserved.

It's a groundbreaking game, better than Doom 3, Half Life 2 and Far Cry.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 12, 2021

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I guess Butcher Bay just had a lasting impression on me. I played it very close to it's original release, so seeing it do much of what everyone expected out of the much hyped tentpole releases from id and Valve before those touched ground definitely took the shine off of them once I played them. In particular Doom 3 which tried to be System Shock-esque horror immersive sim and action-heavy corridor shooter but mostly took the worst elements of both while completely wasting the technology it was built upon. What good is a fancy touch screen monitors if all they end up being used for are loving switches. Butcher Bay pulled off stealth really well, with fancy shadow volumes allowing for the shooting out of lights, but all Doom 3 did with it was make it hard to see anything while you had a weapon drawn.

Gosh, Doom 3 really sucks.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

amazing

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

sorry I'll turn the gamma up

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I would describe Maneater as a Dreamcast game with modern graphics and QoL features.

Maneater is a spirtual successor to Jaws Unleashed, which is based off Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future, a Dreamcast game!

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That Zero Punctuation review of Sekiro comes to mind where game design process should go like treating a hoarder- go down every single feature and mechanic in the game and ask 'Does this meaningfully improve the gameplay experience?' Would save a lot of time, effort and money, too.

Deus Ex Invisible War is a textbook example of where the developers did exactly as you suggest, a drawback to that approach is it can strip a game of much of it's personality, mostly as it's nebulous what "improving the gameplay experience" even means.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jul 29, 2021

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Of course the best advice in the world isn't going to help if you're an idiot, though seems like the worst possible game to apply that to given the whole deal with Deus Ex is that it's a game people love because it's more than the sum of its (very janky) parts.

It's a bad example because it perfectly represents the point I was making that stripping games down to their barest isn't always the best approach to game design? What?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Vic posted:

I mean look at DX: HR and MD. That's the successful attempt.
:lol:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Can't wait for Part 3.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

There's plenty of examples of it going either way. Even when there were graphical improvements like Earthworm Jim, the SNES versions often suffer from being lower resolution/stretched.

Genesis Mortal Kombat II has the best soundtrack, I prefer it over the arcade version in that regard.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

flavor.flv posted:

Star Wars is an old friend you lost touch with. You remember the good times, you see on social media that they're doing okay, but there's just nothing between you anymore

The opposite of love isn't hate, it's indifference

I still keep in touch with Star Wars' cool hip cousin, The Mandalorian

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I was inverted for a long time until I started playing the original System Shock a bunch of years ago which forced me to switch. Since then I'm non-inverted, but found I can switch between fairly easily.

!Klams posted:

Inverted players, do you also lean left and right and tilt the controller when you go round corners in racing games?
After playing a lot of VR over the years I do find myself moving my body playing flatscreen games more. There's also footage of me as a kid playing a Master System where I'm waving the controller around. So I guess yes?

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Sep 1, 2021

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Like, Warcraft 2 has a PS1 port. Can you even loving imagine?
Just use the official PlayStation Mouse and you're good.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

John Murdoch posted:

I maintain that Skylines is basically only held in high esteem because SimCity 2013 sucked.

A "good" new Sim City may not have caught on anyway since it's EA and they're not big on the whole modding thing, something that it is massively useful and cool when combined with a detailed city simulation engine. City simulators are for turbo nerds, C:I is designed from the ground up to accommodate that audience.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Shooters are garbage games for morons.

Any game where you're in a 3D space interacting with objects usually means you're shooting rays out from your player character in order to detect what you want to interact with ergo every 3D game is a shooter.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

abigserve posted:

I didn't even realise prey was one of theirs because it's so different - props to them, that's a really good game.

I'll play deathloop when it comes on sale

Arkane at this point is two studios, the one in Lyon France and the other in Austin Texas. They share duties, but broadly Dishonored and Deathloop are from the French side and Prey and Redfall are from the Austin branch.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I have issues with the Dishonored games, but am a sucker for imsims so I enjoyed them a lot anyway. The levels design is fantastic and the gameplay systems are fun, but that they managed to dissolve much of the agency you might usually have on the core story down to a chaos meter makes anything you do feel a little inconsequential and it's more fun to kill everyone anyway.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

poverty goat posted:

I'm not complaining yet but Dishonored, Prey and Deathloop do all feel like the same engine. The movement still feels like Dishonored, the spells overlap and the combat has really evolved very little from Dishonored to Deathloop. If they keep this up it's going to start feeling a little bit ubisoft after a while. Though the world design is of course much more varied.

Dishonored 2 and Deathloop both share the same engine and mechanics, but Prey is pretty different. A little kludgier, maybe, on top of being on a different engine (Crytek).

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

site posted:

My gripe with dishonored 2 was that the levels felt too big and I often find myself wishing they were cut down a bit. Combined with the fact that bone charms and the upgrade points were scattered sometimes way the gently caress away from the direction of your objectives, it just kinda makes the game drag

Death of the Outsider is sort of a streamlined version of the main game. Smaller levels, less options but more focus. To be honest I prefer the sprawl and options but you might like it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I've always been a little impressed by Road Rash 3D, which did an open world with an "inifinite" horizon (using some clever hill placement and switching out skyboxes) by taking advantage of streaming from the disc. A shame the game sucks to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbGUCZDSKzE&t=3400s
Has a timestamp highlighting where the effect is most obvious.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 29, 2021

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It had lots of great weapons, most of them just didn't come in the form of guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

galagazombie posted:

VR, like waggle controls before it, misunderstands the fundamental purpose of videogame controls. To put the minimum amount of barriers between a nerve firing in your brain and the game reacting to said nerve. Every extra amount of brain activity needed to coordinate physical movements or the actual real world time it take to perform a real world movement is a failure on the part of the game. The reason controllers are still the default method of control and will remain the default method of control is because they reduce the barrier from brain to game to a few millimeters of thumb movement. Until a method of control is invented that involves even less barriers, controllers are here to stay and motion/vr will remain a novelty.

:goonsay: