Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Klei games are on sale on Steam this weekend, if there's anyone following this thread who's on the fence about the game. Just picked it up for 40% off. Oddly, my wishlist showed it as only 20% off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Is there a feasible way to superheat and pressurize steam for the steam turbine without using natural features? I'd like to find a way to get rid of my excess heat that doesn't rely on magically destroying it in the water sieve or finding a particular feature.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

It's an early access game for a reason.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Qubee posted:

baby's first playthrough guide go

Try limiting yourself to no more than 4-6 dupes until you work out food management.

One dupe burns 1000 calories per day. One liceloaf provides 1700 calories and requires 1200 calories of meal lice (two harvested plants) + 50 kg of water. Planted mealwood takes 3 days to regrow after you harvest it, which we'll bump up to 3.5 days to account for non-instant harvesting times and possible delays in tending the crops. So, keeping one dupe fed via liceloaf takes 3.5 x 2 x 1000 x (1/1700) = 4.1 planted mealwood. So, you need 41 mealwood planted to support a population of 10 dupes.

Other crops are more space efficient, but not so much so that you can replace 30 mealwood with 7 bristle blossoms or dusk caps. You need a lot more crops than you have just to support 5 dupes, let alone 10.

Where other crops really shine is in using the grill (30 seconds per food item with 0 cooking skill) instead of the musher (50 seconds per food item at 0 cooking skill), which lets your cook support a larger population. A cycle is only 600 seconds and the default schedule eats 125 seconds of that (assuming you have no showers), so the cook of your ten-dupe base has 475 seconds to come up with 10,000 calories of food.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Griz posted:

liceloaf is bad, it uses too much water. build a stove and make pickled meal which doesn't use water, or switch to blossoms. the spawn point is a light source so you can grow at least 5 blossoms next to it as soon as you get seeds.

:ssh: Blossoms use more water than liceloaf (20 kg per plant per day). Water is just more easily renewable than dirt and gristle berries more efficient to cook than liceloaf.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

In my current game I'm thinking about growing bristle which needs sustainable cold water. Currently planning on taking the polluted oxygen from an infectious vent or two. Trapping it into a room. Running very cold hydrogen in pipes through the room to turn it into polluted h20. This will be really cold. So some goes into a sieve to become normal h20 and the cold stuff is used to cool that to 25 or so degrees c.

Once that's set up I can use the polluted h20 that cools the sieve output to cool something much hotter before it goes into the sieve itself.

Any ideas if this would work? My first big engineering project without using someone else's guide.

Unless I missed something, polluted oxygen doesn't turn into polluted water when it gets cold, nor does putting liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen in the same space produce water.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Replace your copper ore buildings with iron or gold and enjoy your new exosuits.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Qubee posted:

is there some sort of gas density chart?

There's a wiki for this stuff: https://oxygennotincluded.gamepedia.com/Gas

For your particular density question, though:
Hydrogen < Oxygen/Polluted Oxygen < Natural Gas < Chlorine < Carbon Dioxide

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Is there a way to train new dupes through the research jobs they need to become astronauts if you've already completed all/too much of the research tree?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Mazz posted:

FWIW I use 2 screen doors for all my base walls because they only cost 100 metal to fill two tiles, have no decor penalty like air/mesh tiles, and you can save controls settings on the top door if you ever need to default the bottom door to full on/full off beacuse dupes are dumb.

Does this work? My dupes will climb the bottom door just to use the top door, if there's a ladder outside and they're heading up.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Demon_Corsair posted:

In the early game, what is the best way to get thimble reed? I'm trying to get some atmo suits up and running but its hard getting any fibre. Usually any plants I find I harvest and leave growing, but this map doesn't seem to have that much available.

You could farm them; cultivated plants grow at 4x the speed of wild plants. Since seed drop is per harvest, you get more seeds quicker. Sometimes the cracked stone tiles in those zones will also have seeds.

I like to find and plant one in the early game just to have a way to get rid of the polluted water from my wash basins. 64 basin uses = 1 reed fiber, with the caveat that basins only get emptied after 40 uses.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Does anyone here remember the new math behind insulated and radiant stuff? It changed a few versions back and the wiki still has the old info.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

You’re talking about heat numbers? Insulated pipes/vents look like they have a thermal conductivity that’s close to 0.031 of the regular version, specific heat capacity is the same.

Radiant is made out of metal, while regular and insulated are made of minerals, so you can’t really compare them.

I'd read somewhere that insulated pipes/tiles now transmit heat based on functions using the material of the pipe/tile and the stuff in contact with it. And that radiant pipes/metal tiles use a similar function.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

User0015 posted:

Make a moat :black101:

Gold-plated boiled hatches, sauteed in polluted water.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Katt posted:

Don't hold back. You know what that yellow liquid is.

Yeah, I was thinking of a really old blog that had a story about an American of Indian descent, who visited family in India and contracted hepatitis A because he'd been served food made with "spiced water", aka untreated water from the Ganges.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Demon_Corsair posted:

When breaking out of the starting biome what's the best way to deal with the gases? Right now I just throw up a water lock and make them go through that but the stress adds up pretty fast then I have to lock them in my base until the calm down.

The first fourth-tier tech I research is gas reservoirs. They're pretty large (5w x 3h), but if you're not going to be using the space for anything but traveling or resource gathering, it's not a big deal. They can store multiple types of gas at once, up to 150 kg total.

You don't even need to build miles of pipes or wires; just plunk a reservoir and hamster wheel* down next to each other. Build two manual airlocks: one between them and the rest of the base and one between them and the gas. Leave a little space between the second airlock and the gas to throw a pump in, then wire/pipe everything up and mine out the space between the gas and the pump.

Once the gas is gone, you can tear down everything except the reservoir and build them someplace else with a new one. Leave the reservoir there until you're ready to deal with it. Plus, reservoirs take 400 kg copper ore each, so you can start combining them if you accidentally smelt all your loose copper.

*The manual generator often gets overlooked once you get any other type of generator, but it's pretty great for remote temporary projects.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

priznat posted:

When you do 3 tier wide shafts is it space ladder space?

I had been doing 2 wide but it makes sense to make room for transport tubes.

I do the 3 meter wide shafts that way and recently realized I could shave a bit off travel times by adding 2 more ladder tiles to the top of the ladder.

If the top of the ladder is even with the floor the dupe is going to, the dupe will spend a second pulling themselves to the top before they jump across.

If the top of the ladder is only one meter above the floor, dupes crossing the shaft to the other side will stop to climb to the top of the ladder as though it was a solid tile.

At two meters above, neither the dupes traveling vertical to horizontal or horizontal to horizontal are slowed down by the top of the ladder.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

silentsnack posted:

a hideous landfill.

Found my next colony name.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

priznat posted:

My biggest struggle is getting bases that don’t overheat, any good tips on mitigating that? Pump in O2 from a SPOM in a cold biome/weezeworts?

I have a map with a cool slush geyser right nearby, what’s the best way to use that. I set up some pipe to just loop around to try and cool things but I don’t have radiant pipe yet (or a lot of refined metal).

This is 90% what leads to me abandoning bases, things just get too hot.

If you have enough water + polluted water around, cooling water and just setting it in an open pool somewhere will absorb a lot of heat. Run trails of tempshift plates around the base that terminate in the pool to speed things up. Once the water is near room temperature, siphon it off and send it someplace to be used (farms, carbon skimmer, bathrooms, oil wells), then refill the pool with cold water.

Getting a quantity of almost-freezing water can be done with a pool of polluted water, an aquatuner & 2 valve setup* to cool the clean water and heat the polluted, and a water seive to turn the polluted water clean (which goes to the aquatuner) and delete its heat down to 40°C.

* Run the aquatuner output to a valve set to 6.4 kg/s, then continue the same pipe from the first valve to a second valve set to 3.2 kg/s. The other end of the 6.4 valve should use a liquid bridge to loop back into the feed to the aquatuner. The other end of the 3.2 valve will output ~0.6°C water you can pipe to your cooling pools (and feed into sleet wheat).

e: clarified valve setup, I hope. Can't post a diagram from my phone.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 4, 2019

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What do I do to insulate the escape areas from the main biome? Do there exist insulated doors? Or do I build a little double-insulated exit room outside the biome, and pierce the biome insulation into that?

The heat exchange from two tiles out of your entire perimeter should be minimal, so you can probably ignore it if you have decent temperature regulation in the main area.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Firos posted:

Apart from crude oil refining, what are the best applications for thermium?

Really fast tempshift plates? Radiant pipes to offload hot/cold super coolant temperature to its surroundings?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Mierenneuker posted:

Don't mind me, just casually browsing ToolsNotIncluded dot net

Not pictured: Cool Slush Geyser #4

12 kg/s water in the form of cold p.water or cool steam, 200 g/s natgas, and 1.2 kg/s gold. Promised land discovered.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

User0015 posted:

a /\-shaped bristle blossom farm

What does this look like in game?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Riatsala posted:

Thanks, guys. I got my first colony up and running and I'm up to 5 dupes/9th cycle so far. Got actual plumbing, and I'm starting to grow meal worm plants, but I only have 4.

The cracked tiles hold items like seeds or muckroots, or sometimes critters (hatches). If you need food or crop seeds, you can have your miner go digging for them. Eat the muckroots, kill the hatches and eat them (or at least keep them away from the platform with your printing pod), and plant the mealwood seeds. You need about 4 mealwood plants per dupe to keep them fed with liceloaf, but you may want to have them eat uncooked meal lice (5-6 plants/dupe) for a bit until you get the food poisoning germs out of your water supply.

Creating more shifts and spreading your dupes out across them will reduce the number of outhouses/wash basins you need to have available at once and more evenly distribute your food consumption rate.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Riatsala posted:

So how do you purify a water supply? I worked out a sieve to filter out all the pollution, but neglected the germs that were having a grand ol' time in my reservoir.

In the early game, you don't. Do your damnedest to keep your dupes from peeing in it. However, the only things you shouldn't do with infected water are put it in the Water Cooler or use it in cooking. Using it to water bristle berry plants or get flushed in your lavatories is just fine.

Later on, heating the water and/or exposing it to chlorine gas will kill the germs.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 18, 2019

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Ice is just water you don't have to mop up first.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

And you need coal for steel, which also takes lime that you can get from grinding up eggshell. Plus, you get raw egg, which doesn't need any other ingredients to cook into omelettes.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

enraged_camel posted:

Is this true? I never seek them out so I have no idea, but I thought they were random just like geysers.

Geysers (and space destinations) aren't entirely random, either. You get a minimum of 2 cool steam and 2 oil fissures (I think) and the others are random.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Drop a pond of cold water on the top and have your dupe swim through it to break the seal.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

That's not a water lock. That's a pond to keep your dupe from getting fried by absorbing some of the heat from the steam.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I don't like the water locks or fancy door tricks, so I just put an air pump in between two airlock doors, set it to run for a bit after the outer door has been opened, and have it vent to a ways past the outer door.

I suppose I'd allow visco-gel locks, since that appears to be the only reason to make the stuff.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

ExtraNoise posted:

I reached cycle 60 for the first time last night and I was thinking I finally got the hang of this game when I read this post and now I'm worried my dupes are heading toward a "heat death" because I have no idea what that is. Will my base continue to get hotter and hotter? What horrible calamity have I overlooked in my hubris? :ohdear:

Best beginner moment thus far: One of my dupes suffocated on farts. 10/10 would recommend.

The average temperature in the asteroid is higher than many crops and critters can tolerate, plus some buildings and natural features will add more heat over time. As heat moves around to approach the average, the starting area will flip from "everything is fine, nothing is on fire" to this-is-fine.jpg very suddenly if you haven't taken precautions.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 27, 2019

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

quote:

Unsuited Dupes will strongly prefer not to walk underwater if possible

Thank loving god.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

enraged_camel posted:

I understand what you are saying as it relates to the relationship between morale and skills/jobs, but it doesn't really refute anything I said.

Does it have to or can it just be commentary on the new system? Like, if no one here can refute your idea, it gets implemented?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

https://oni-assistant.com/tools/foodcalculator

If you pick meat or BBQ, you can select which creature you want to ranch.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

The disease update trailer finally delivers.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Ambaire posted:

How exactly is "deconstructable POI props" 'cheating the game and yourself'?

:thejoke:

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Stuff the current excess into gas reservoirs for use in space exploration. Put a pressure gauge in your base to turn the electrolyzer off when pressure gets too high.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Alternatively, any dupes you feel are getting uppity about having too much oxygen in a game called Oxygen Not Included can be sent to live in the punishment room, which contains nothing but an unpowered jukebox and an all-chlorine atmosphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Pleads posted:

Can sweepers harvest plants or is a dupe needed for that regardless of anything else?

Sort of, but not really. Plants will drop their harvest after 3 cycles, which can then be picked up by a sweeper. So going fully automated is possible, but means you need a lot more space dedicated to crops.