Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I think I like every character-tied Persona in the OP which I'm pretty sure wasn't the case for 3 or 4. Nice designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Yesterday I found out the Smash 4 announcer is the Protagonist's VA. Good for Xander Mobus, he made it.

Unrelated: http://personacentral.com/persona-5-yusuke-ps4-theme-avatar-set-now-free-eu-playstation-store/

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

The Yusuke PSN theme is really pretty and it makes me sad that the other ones they released previously (from what I can tell just Ryuji and maybe Morgana) aren't obtainable at this time. I guess they'll probably be paid DLC when the game comes out or something?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

boy are my arms tired posted:

lol if you sub anne out for anyone else

I will use everyone because we will all be best anime buddies.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I knew that but even without that we would have all been strong anime friends together.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

That reminds me, making social links/confidants have abilities that help in battles and dungeon crawls like that is simultaneously really smart and also gonna cause a whole lot of decision paralysis in me.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Yeah, if my take your heart edition gets canceled it'll be a bummer

Dryzen posted:

gently caress you Baal

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Shadow Hearts mention made me look it up and nope, it's not in the PS2 for PS4 collection either. I really hate the death of backwards compatibility.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I'm disappointed by the various screens of really poorly written lines I've seen floating around on twitter, mostly because I really had high expectations of Atlus. I'm sure I'll still enjoy the game just fine, though.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Moltrey posted:

Not to just bust on people, but it's really funny to me how everyone I've seen bummed out about the translation, like five of y'all thugs, has not actually played the game but only seen screenshots on twitter

Okay, so once my game arrives and I get to those points and see them for myself on my TV instead of on my computer screen, am I allowed to feel disappointment then? I mean I'll even acknowledge that probably 99%+ of the lines are localized just fine but I've seen enough poor examples already that "concern and disappointment" don't really seem that unreasonable to me.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

ImpAtom posted:

It's perfectly fine to be disappointed but I would recommend you look through P3 and P4 again some time if you think it didn't do the exact same thing.

I know you're on a weirdly aggressive kick these days but I'm not looking at those games with any kind of rose colored glasses like you're assuming and that's why I personally didn't mention them at all. I expected more from Atlus localization wise on a game that was both hugely anticipated and hugely delayed, and while I'm sure I will still love the game there will still be small pangs of disappointment there that they dropped the ball just a bit.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I thought someone said there was a separate option toggle for animation/movie/cutscene/whatever subtitles.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Tae posted:

Is someone actually going to post the tweets of these terrible translations or not

These two accounts are where I saw various questionable examples, though they're both going a little overboard on the "oh god game ruined" sorta vibe:

https://twitter.com/sikieiki/

https://twitter.com/XEECEEVEVO/status/849171316418650112

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

They were apparently coached by the voice director to say it that way.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Foppish Yet Dashing posted:

I can't tell if those are joke posts or not but if that's true that's weird as hell but whatever. Maybe this is Earth 2 where everyone talks funny.

https://twitter.com/ErikaHarlacher/status/841752349546704896

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

https://twitter.com/randomfox/status/845414021327044610

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Dryzen posted:

I'm gonna mute this thread and turn off all the posters

System message: You do not have a high enough Intelligence rating to ignore the posters.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Ann, Ryuji, Morgana, and Protag theme and avatar packs are up on PSN in NA. $1.99 each for a dynamic theme plus 3 avatars. Weirdly enough, I found only the Ann one in the Themes section of Add-Ons but the other three were on the game's page in an Avatars section.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

This demonstrates the issue people are having with the "music as text" thing going on:

https://twitter.com/Unsomnus/status/849032335781703680

That person fixed it by deleting and redownloading the Japanese audio track.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I don't think I asked this here, but is there any content that is only available in NG+?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Endorph posted:

I mean, does it get better later on? I'm like 6ish hours in.

Seriously, I'm not biased against the game and I think people calling it gibberish are exaggerating and pretty much poisoning the discussion, I just think it's not unfair to criticize the TL for some pretty obvious flaws. If it gets better, than that's good, though that would make me wonder why the first part of the game would be the part that saw the least editing when usually it's the other way around.

I think "poisoning the discussion" is a good way to describe things on both sides of the coin here. I also admit to not actually having started the game yet (!!!) so I won't say anything else besides what I've already said.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

If anyone's still having issues with the Japanese voice pack changing voices and sfx to music, here's another recommended solution: https://www.reddit.com/r/Persona5/comments/63icec/psa_japanese_voice_pack_issues_solved/

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

https://twitter.com/arbys/status/849275376962478082

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It just feels very token. I'm probably just not explaining it well, but I feel that people know where I am coming from. Except for Endorph, who is a massive cock. At any rate, I'll drop it.

I have no interest in participating in this argument but as a third party observer I have to say that I don't think I've seen a single person agree with you in any of it except for a very vague and general acknowledgement that this video game is not the final ultimate say on portraying sexual assault in fiction.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

darealkooky posted:

I don't wanna trudge through a dozen+ pages of sub/dub slapfights to find this out, who was the voice director for the english version? I've heard this rumor that it was someone at atlus japan and that's why they consistently say voices in certain ways, but is there any actual proof of that?

Replying so I can use this post to find my old post.

Edit: Oh nevermind you've seen the tweet in question already. You aren't gonna get more of a concrete "they told us to say it that weird way" than that probably just because they don't want to rock the boat with potential future employers.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I'm way behind but I'll spoiler this anyway, early in palace 2 I was lucky enough to guess right on the Treasure Demon's weakness and catch him, and man is that an insane resource to have access to this early on. Having the freedom to spread out any of the 8 Ma- spells I want, then resummon the thing for 4.7k if I feel like spreading the spells out more, seems really, really good, even if I'm not yet to the point where I can burn through SP infinitely just yet.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I'm roughly 5,000 posts behind in this thread so I apologize if this was already mentioned, but I just recently maxed the Strength Confidant and got to use its top benefit to do something pretty useful and somewhat dirty feeling: My level 51 self dropped 140,000 yen to fuse a sixth palace treasure demon and a Sarasvati into a level 73 Cybele, giving me access to Bless Amp, Makougaon, Auto-Maraku, and then Salvation after feeding her another level via the gallows. Cybele also turns into extremely strong gloves for Makoto with high crit rate, so I did that and then dropped another 60k yen to resummon her.

Also the game is good, the English voices are good, and the script seems relatively error free besides the early game examples posted in the thread, so those are all also nice things.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah I am just about to send the card for Palace 7 and I am overwhelmed by the fusion possibilities now that I have a million yen and Strength 10. I don't know where to even begin

The first thing I noticed when looking at my options was that a Persona 1 level above me was like 30-40k, whereas the one I ended up going with that was 22 levels above me was only in the 140k yen range, so my advice would be to look at the highest level options for something that catches your eye, whether that be a cool design or a skill/set of skills that you want access to.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

It's really nice for things like Girimekhala that have a bunch of resistances but one weakness, and it seems biased toward covering the weakness as opposed to hitting a different element. Also if you leave the persona in too long it disappears but the twins call you on the phone the day that will happen to remind you so it's no real risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Instant Grat posted:

Quick question: What is the point of that ability Chihaya gets that lets you see the next confidant ability for someone? You can already do that by just going into the Confidant menu and hitting right on the D-pad. Am I missing something?

You can only do that in the menu if they get the ability their next rank up, if I'm remembering right.