Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

drat it!

Edit: Also just seeing all the official art again reminds me how much all the Persona in this game rule (at least the party's persona). Seriously they're fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

precision posted:

I both love and hate this game's extremely in your face and extreme approach to UI and text boxes. At least it's something new!

I just love it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

What a powerful cat.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

totalnewbie posted:

And while senpai is just a normal word in Japanese, continued use in normal conversation keeps the relative position of the speakers in mind, whereas transitioning to a first-name basis in Japanese tells you there's a shift. How would you go about doing this in English?

Have the character go from speaking rather politely and a bit distant, to more familiar and casual to signify the fact that the characters are now closer and whatever.

Like it'd be a bit more difficult to show sure and couldn't use an exact translation of the scene, but even in Japanese it's not as if all that changes is the use of the word senpai. The way they talk to each other would also change to show the shift. And that can be shown in the English translation as well.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Are Mudo and Hama instakills really gone for good?

Well, Goro's bio in the op mentions instant death skills so probably not. Unless there are new instakill skills now.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Alder posted:

How about FeMC?

Also Catherine had working adults as the main cast.

Catherine's a different type of game and for a different audience I imagine.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

wizard on a water slide posted:

is a huge part of the audience for the persona games and jrpgs in general not adults, tho, at least in north america and europe?

I just can't imagine actual teenagers giving a poo poo about this franchise

I can. Quite easily? Like, teens have a lot of free time to play videogames and stuff, and jrpgs don't seem particularly more mature or aimed at an older audience than most games. And it's about high school kids and high school life, so it's a setting relevant to teens and everything. I don't see why they wouldn't pick it up.

Edit:

wizard on a water slide posted:

because it's a mechanically complicated, 100 hour jrpg

I dunno, for me at least the 100 hour jrpg was a genre more palatable to me as a teenager. Just had a lot more free time for it.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 17, 2017

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Moltrey posted:

laughing a bit that it takes a bit for a group called The Phantom Thieves to think of using stealth

Maybe they don't have their name yet by that point.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

LightningKimba posted:

The one thing Joker cannot steal... Is a man's heart.

He's stolen mine.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's pretty strange that they seemed to have had decent emphasis on making interesting and unique dungeons to improve on previous games, only to keep the same generic dungeon format they were moving away from with Mementos.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Mar 27, 2017

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

So how good is the Moon Cooperation at keeping the benched party members up to speed? All these characters look cool and I want to use them but P4 had pretty big level differences after a dungeon or two of not using someone.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Moltrey posted:

Ai and Saki Konishi's bro were my fav S. Links in 4, i remember really liking them

This but also Hisano.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

From all the trailers and pre-release info the P5 protag is the coolest character. He steals poo poo, gives evil smirks, and has not one but two cool nicknames. He's the best.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Holy poo poo Kamoshida is even more goddamn despicable than I heard. Ann and Ryuji better loving gut this dude.

Also, I just got to the first dungeon right and proper 3 and a half hours in but I honestly feel the pacing hasn't been too bad. Lots of interesting stuff is happening, the characters are cool, and it's certainly gotten me invested. I'm already really interested in Ryuji, Ann, and Morgana's deals. They're cool dudes. And the voice acting's much better than I heard it was going to be

Really solid so far.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sojiro likes cats so I can't hate him.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

So far Morgana is the expert thief who is training you amateurs in his pro techniques. He's basically the mentor and the most goal-oriented and focused of everyone. And also he's a small cat that hangs out in your backpack.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ryuji is the best Persona bro solely because of his violent hatred of Kamoshida. Since like, hell same.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm still early in the game but why are people complaining about Sojiro's lines of all things. Outside of a bit of "as you know" exposition I thought they got across his character rather well.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I wish this game didn't just kinda arbitrarily decide you need to go to bed early when there's a plot scene the next day. I just rented some dvds but there's no opportunity to watch them because my cat kept forcing me to go to sleep. I couldn't even return them on time!!!

Also, oh my god so many social links require stats now. This sucks!! On the other hand the original party of 4 have a really good dynamic and I love them a lot. Good game so far.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Ryuji you seem cool so far, but I need you stop saying effin', just say gently caress dude.

Ryuji is too good a boy to say gently caress but also too rude a boy to not say something. Please understand.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

pretty much

ryuji is easily the best joonpaykun so far

That is because Ryuji is more of a Kanji than a Junpei.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

hyphz posted:

Please tell me the raped girl isn't the one who manifests a Persona shown with two kneeling dehumanised men chained to her.

The raped girl isn't a playable character. So no.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

And actual teenagers can't go into the shadow realm to make their abusers repent for it, they often have to live without justice for the rest of their lives. Maybe having a "rape is real" back story isn't the best in a game where you can kill God with Pokemon if you are spunky enough.

I don't know dude can't you say that about Ryuji and the MC as well? If you're abused and beaten by an authority figure you typically don't get the chance to beat the crap out of him with your pirate skeleton, and if you are unjustly committed of a crime you didn't commit due to people in power manipulating things and letting awful people get away with whatever the gently caress they want you don't often get the chance to become a master thief vigilante and right the wrongs of the world.

I think you're just not into the concept of the game at all.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

On an unrelated note, man i'm loving these random coffee facts every time I make a brew. I'm used to getting quizzed on highschool topics in Persona games, but just this one activity randomly going on tangents about the origin and use of specific coffee beans is great.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

No Mods No Masters posted:

People in this thread need to attempt to eat the cosmic burger, go to the bath house, drink smoothies, feed their plants, listen to people giving speeches in the street, undergo clinical trials, go to a restaurant and only order coffee, and stuff like that, until they have the Understanding, Knowledge, Proficiency, Guts, and Kindness to make good posts

drat it!! I keep forgetting to feed my plant. I'm awful at this :(

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Crabtree posted:

Every time I hear the word skull I just have the Bulk and Skull theme play in my head in every conversation he's in. Is there any go to persona to try and capture Regent? I know its weak to Psi and Nuke(almighty), but I'm not sure which personas around 14-5 have either of those skills to hit its weaknesses.

Morgana gets lucky punch at like level 13 which has a really high critical hit rate, which is how I got my first Regent. Or I guess you could just have Ann unload on it with her gun and hope one of the 30 bullets she fires is a critical.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Arist posted:

Sojiro requires a stupid number of points to rank up

For real. I've got other things to do at night, just let me hang out with you more so I can brew better coffee!

Also, what's the best way to grind guts because so many s links need it and I haven't found a really good way to get points for it yet.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

postmodifier posted:

Death confidant clinical trials which you should be doing asap, hot coffee at the diner, go to action movies, some books

Trials and hot coffee are such minor bonuses though, and i've already read books and watched stuff.

Captain Baal posted:

EAT THE BURGER

poo poo! I completely forgot about the Burger.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm only 2 dungeons in but everyone sells their awakening really well I thought. Those are some pretty great scenes.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

Also holy cannoli these kids have some serious potty mouths. Even Ann spits out language that would turn anyone in the last two games' hair white.

These are some bitter kids.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Where does Ann usually hangout when she isn't in the classroom? I see she's a hangout option for the day I'm on but can't seem to find her.

Shibuya Underground Mall.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Moltrey posted:

I swear my Pixie came with Zio

She does.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kalsco posted:

As somebody who doesn't really play JRPGs super often, how obtuse is this game? I'm fine with turn-based combat and grinding. Is the elemental system a pain to have to accommodate for?

The combat mechanics are not really obtuse at all. What might be though is remembering which of the many activities raise which social stat and figuring what the most efficient method of spending your time is. But that's only really important if you're going for 100%.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Vitamin P posted:

Rent that poo poo, watch it ASAP, return. The most stressful thing in this game is those loving DVDs.

Joker could totally kick Narukami's rear end. :colbert:

Also, awww that hot-pot heart to heart. And Ann and Yusuke's scenes with Sojiro :3:

The Phantom Thieves are pretty cool dudes.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Man, Mishima is such a loser.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Lord of Hats posted:

Where the hell do I need to go to start Yusuke's social link? It isn't plot-initiated, right?

After 6/14 you get a scene with him going to Leblanc to hang with you, and then after that he starts showing up around the Shibuya Underground in the Day where you can talk to him and start his link.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Lord of Hats posted:

Thanks, I got seriously thrown by how long he's been around with no link starting and was wondering if I botched it somehow.

Also, Sojiro is great. This game's premise could just be "Make Sojiro proud of you" and I'd still love it.

Sojiro rules and I enjoy his coffee and curry facts.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm sure most people in this thread already know this but Makoto is extremely cool and I am glad she has finally joined the party. Her being around made up for dungeon 3 being kinda bad. The first half was pretty decent and had a great theme, but the 2nd half was super lame and filled with demons who were strong against physical which sucked pretty bad.

Also, I really feel like i'm always a step or 2 behind where i'm expected to be with social stats. Only got Guts and Prof at level 3 and although i've spent the last few days grinding Knowledge and Charm for social links they still haven't changed. Post-dungeon 3 what level should my stats really be at to not get gated by anything coming up soon?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zore posted:

Ann's S-link is kinda bleh and that soured me on her a bit.

She's still okay, but she really drops out of prominence in the story as soon as Makoto comes in.

I'm not too far into it but Ann seems a lot goofier in her S Link than in the main story. It's kinda weird. Though I guess in the main plot there has been a couple of scenes of her and Ryuji goofing off as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

My inner hipster won't let me go for Makoto please send help

There's a lot of girls so i'm sure you'll be fine.