Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Did you get ANY permits to do this work?

Isnt California crazy about getting permits for remodels? I only know this from listening to Adam Carolla.

Youll never be able to sell this house if this stuff isnt up to code.

If an inspector see you doing remods with no permits you can get into CRAZY trouble.

JB50 fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

OSI bean dip posted:

Sunken foundation.

Sunken cost fallacy.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Can we just pretend he was never here and move on.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Burt Sexual posted:

''Twas great, gj whomever.

Didnt Sneakyfrog say he bought it for him?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

I am learning so much from this thread! Most importantly, I have learned that if I ever own a home I should not touch a drat thing re: remodeling unless I talk to at least one coworker (most of my coworkers are architects/engineers).

Or if youre going to do anything bigger than hanging a paper towel holder hire a professional.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

dest posted:

Man OP, you have GOT to stop cutting corners (and floor joists) to save a few pennies:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3816693

That Friends & Family PayPal will get you every time.

OP has a never ending trail of great decision making.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

LOL gently caress California.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Don't worry, it's not a load bearing wall.

Just put some load bearing drywall in front of it.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

bEatmstrJ posted:

Well I certainly learned a lot. Without the challenge of the floor joists my plan was to do everything except build the shower pan/hot map and do the tile work. Those items were always going to be contracted out, although likely to some cheaper craigslist guys.

If I could do it again myself, I probably would. I enjoy DIY and learning about this stuff and sometimes you have to make some mistakes to get things right.

The bathroom will still be completed exactly as intended, and I was adamant about that with the contractor so they understand that I will be heavily involved in the design of things (which has changed only slightly from the 3d mockup). The reason I decided to contract most of it was because knowing an inspection would be required for the floor joists meant many other items would be triggered for inspection as well at the same time. So rather than dealing with all of the inspection items I'm just letting the contractor take care of anything that will require inspection.

Did that creepy dude really report you to the city or was he full of poo poo?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

socketwrencher posted:

Care to share the amount of the quote?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Do you think if the inspector sees it he'll make you vacate the premises until the problem is fixed?

Because that would be hilarious.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

got any sevens posted:

I studied geology, rocks rule. What kind of rocks are you gonna use? Plz dont say granite, go with something a little more unique. Olivine?

Pumice.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Just use river rock tile instead of loose rock if you want a bathroom you can really use:

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Found a picture of OP:

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Ha just look at his pic and imagine the OP saying "No its cool I got this, you can just cut the floor joist" all while his friends are like NO DOOD STOP!!!

Its similar to the goon digging a hole analogy.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Reene posted:

posting poo poo from the website the guy linked to in the fuckin OP is not doxxing you fuckin dweebs

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

You guys dont seem to know this, but you can put stuff on wood that keeps it from soaking up moisture.

You can even use wood outside exposed to the elements.

loving goons.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

learnincurve posted:

What Im learning here is that Americans have huge bathrooms and that the British are getting a raw deal. One side of my bathroom is bath, then there is a sink, then the toilet, the door is in front of the toilet so you could open it and wave at anyone at the front door.

Its pretty much why our wives made us start a new country.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Bidet supremacy! I now dread pooping somewhere that isnt home, and I USED to love pooping at work.

I have this installed on the toilet pictured above flushing the nuggets. The American Standard Champion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

So, are you single?

With these toilet skills? Obviously not.

• Locked thread