Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i fuckin' love Down Periscope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

hard counter posted:

i watched kelsey be a guest on a late night talk show once and his anecdotes were solely about staffing issues in his 2nd mansion's kitchen

playing frasier for 3 decades probably wasn't very demanding

he (and niles and martin) made a shitload of money on that show. millions an episode.

meanwhile the ladies were only getting five figures

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I love the movie Down Periscope, even if it drags a bit at times. I'd pay a chunk of money to see Down Periscope, In Space

Ein cooler Typ posted:

in my fanfic Lilith was a stripper to pay for med school

??????????????????????

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Antifa Sarkeesian posted:

If you have HBO go watch The Pentagon Wars right now. Definitely my favorite thing kelsey grammer has ever been in. He plays an army general obsessed with his pet project, the bradley fighting vehicle, which he tries to get pushed through congress for the benefit of his own career even though the vehicle is an unsafe piece of poo poo that will apparently burn Are Troops alive the first time it gets hit with a rocket. Cary Elwes plays an Air Force Lt. Col. tasked with making sure nothing is wrong with the project, and since he is a Good Officer Who Cares About the Enlisted Men he realizes that the bradley is a deathtrap and tries to get it cancelled but of course KG's character tries to get him fired. Very entertaining stuff and based loosely on a true story.

Although really Richard Schiff steals the show with the montage of the Bradley's development:

https://youtu.be/aXQ2lO3ieBA

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Ralph Crammed In posted:

I hate Jim on The Office so much. He thinks he so much better than everyone he works with for no good reason. Yeah, go on Jim, be a dick to Dwight all the time just because he has a strong work ethic and isn't charmed by your dumb shenanigans. He's supposed to be a stand in I guess for the viewer because "he's an average guy just like you!" but I'm not a massive smarmy cock to everyone interact with.

gently caress I hate Jim and I hate the presumption that I should like him.

There's a couple episodes where it's shown that Jim's actually pretty anti-social in general. I don't think he's a terrible person but he's definitely not as amazing as he thinks he is.

Roy's pretty severely self-absorbed and inconsiderate even without the "sudden violent anger" thing though, so Pam definitely needed to move the gently caress on from him.

uh anyway just so this post isn't total derail, I found this anecdote about Kelsey Grammar when he was filming Down Periscope:

Cessna posted:

quote:

It is a dark and stormy night. The Stingray is rolling wildly. Dodge has Jacson, who was a basketball player at the Naval Acadamy (so why is he enlisted?) climb to the top of the periscope and hang the drop light from it. The guy he sends op slips and barely manages to hang on. He mutters under his breath “I never saw THIS poo poo on a recruiting poster!” I love that line. He gets the light attached as the Orlando approaches periscope depth.
Man, that scene…

I mentioned that most of the filming took place during the period when the sub was closed to the public and then towed up to Suisun Bay. Well, that scene was filmed early on, when the boat was still down at Fisherman’s Wharf. You can’t really see anything in the background due to the storm, and it was easier for them to bring in water...

The sub used to do Cub/Boy Scout tours and camping expeditions. They’d get a full tour, and some groups would spend the night on a sub. They’d set up watches, eat a meal cooked in the (still working) galley, etc. They were a lot of fun for the kids. We tried to re-schedule all of the groups that were supposed to have the boat during filming, but there was one group scheduled for a day on the boat, driving in from the Central Valley, that we couldn’t get ahold of.

So here’s how Hollywood films a “storm.” Remember how they were up on the periscope getting drenched with rain? Well, they can’t wait for a day when it rains. They make their own storm. With firehoses. You know you’re in for a bad time when they bring in multiple huge tanks full of water.

Ever been to San Francisco? It doesn’t snow there, but there’s a constant foggy, clammy cold in the air. It just bites through you.

Filming started just as it got dark. Poor Kelsey Grammer and Duane Martin went up on that mast, exposed to the wind – and they just soaked them with the hoses. The first time they got hit they almost fell off, even though they were lashed to the mast. That water was ice cold. They recovered, acted out the scene – cut.

And then they did it again. And again. And again. And again.

They filmed all. drat. Night.

Around midnight they let Grammer and Martin down, wrapped them up with towels, let them get inside into our only real building on the pier, a big toolshed, and gave them hot coffee. Half an hour later they were back up there tied to the masts, getting blasted with high pressure ice water.

And then they did it again. And again. And again. And again.

It was just miserable. Everyone who wasn’t with the film crew felt awful for them. The film crew didn’t care – “that’s why they make the big bucks, turn the hoses on again.” Over and over and over. They stopped filming when the sun started to come up. They were just miserable, pale and shaking, soaked to the bone and freezing.

And then the Boy Scouts showed up.

They came down the pier, ready for their tour, and saw the filming. One of them saw Grammer, wretched and shivering, and said “it’s Frasier!” (This was the mid-90’s, when kids would recognize Frasier or know about the show Cheers.)

Now, by any reasonable standard Grammer should have waved and said something like hey, kids, good to see you and left. Or he could have ducked out entirely.

But he was such a pro that even though filming was done he stayed there and hung out with the kids. He told them stories about being an actor, cracked them up telling jokes, told them about Cheers and how he got into acting, you name it.

It was amazing. Again, there he was, hit by ice-cold firehoses all drat night, freezing cold and sleepless, but when it came time to tell jokes to the kids, there he was, goofing around with them, singing songs, giving them a great time. And not on camera, either. Everyone involved in filming was packing up and leaving, but he was there for the kids, and no one else would ever know he’d done it. He stayed with them for two hours, them laughing the whole time, until they left to get their tour of the sub – and then he went and changed into dry clothes.

Say what you will about the guy, I have tremendous respect for him for that.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Bust Rodd posted:

“YeeeeOOOOOO, Good Morning SEAAAATTLE! It’s me, Doctah Fray-Cray in the mornin’, with the delectable *awooga noises, hubba-hubba sounds* Roz (chorus line: It’s ROZ!)! We got some great giveaways today but the real gift, of course, is the satisfaction of knowing that you are all living your best life as an actualized, complete person.... (Foghorn) Allright gang, you know that means, it’s time for a traffic bumper while Roz and I scramble around for something funny to leave in Maddog’s desk drawer! Join us after the commercial break for more of your favorite Shrink who loves to think! This has been the DOKTAH, Frasier Crane, and as always, stay cray-cray in a good way, Seattle”

"(chorus line: It's ROZ!)" loving slew me, thank you

maskenfreiheit posted:

you're basically a sociopath. you're manipulating people

authenticity is a virtue

it's entirely possible to engage different interests and express different parts of your personality with different groups of people. don't fall into the "only one true self!!" obsession with authenticity trap that the loving hippies did.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Laterite posted:

David Angell probably wishes he skipped 9-11 too.

goldmine

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

holy poo poo

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
It was a mistake. They said they were trying to find some place to buy English boys' pants.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Found out that Frasier is on Amazon Prime, so now I've started watching Frasier, from the beginning. It's good.

Also had a brilliant thought recently:

imagine a crossover episode between Frasier... and Keeping Up Appearances

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Netflix is probably going to be almost entirely Netflix-produced content at some point.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Meh. Watched a few episodes on the Hallmark Channel since they were playing several hours tonight. Nope. This show is boring as piss. Just as I thought.

well maybe you'd care to suggest a better comedy??

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i loved Grammer's portrayal as a supremely corrupt and disturbingly powerful politician, but i think the story about Tom Kane's mental deterioration just wasn't well-developed enough; it always took a backseat to the political intrigue, at least from my perspective.

if the show had made it a story about Tom Kane's grasp on power slipping away due to other issues (family, skeletons in the closet, w/e) that probably would have been more compelling; alternately a show more focused on Kane's grasp on reality slipping away could have been more insightful. instead i feel like they tried to do both and didn't really adequately fulfill either. maybe they could have done both if they'd had more episodes in the season to work with, who knows.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's cool if you just decide that Frasier had a psychotic break and Boss is the continuation of his life in Chicago.

alternately, Boss represents the alternate Simpsons timeline where Sideshow Bob's swindling of the election for mayor goes unchallenged

like tell me Bob Kane isn't the incarnation of "deep down you long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king :argh:"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

numberoneposter posted:

is this canon?????

abso-fraggin-lutely!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
wait, which thread am i in again?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
last episode i watched was the one where frasier kept getting caught being inside daphne's room and woooaaaahhhhhhh that was uncomfortable fuckin' episode :stare:

like god drat daph i know he bought you a car at the end but why are you still there :gonk:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
also that really fuckin' weird & gross joke about how daphne's brothers all (except for the gay one dancer) had "peep on daphne in the shower" as a coming of age thing when growing up

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
that was also an episode where niles claims to have actually scored with maris, after buying her a car?? and i'm like 'maris is capable of sexual intercourse??!?'

weird, weird goddamn episode.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
saw a recent picture of one of my high school classmates and holy moley she looks a lot like frasier's agent! :wth:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Beachcomber posted:

Did she have a soul when you knew her?

yes, very much so

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Brawnfire posted:

Seen on the meme thread;

"hey, Fras', this Sheridan fella reminds me a lot o' you and Niles!" :haw:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Daphne and Rose all getting fuckclobbering drunk on the town together

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Did Lilith ever meet Roz?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i'm up to mid-season 4 now. one thing that strikes me is how good David Hyde Pierce is at physical comedy, which is a great contrast to Niles being incredibly stuck up

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
it'll be set in Chicago as a backdoor third season of Boss. airing on Showtime so that they can get Peri Gilpin's titties out

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

beep by grandpa posted:

Please Kelsey Grammer do not make a twitter account

i have bad news for you

https://twitter.com/kelseygrammer

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
frasier and niles as bumbling holmes-ian detectives. no, wait! they're competing: frasier's watson is roz, and niles's watson is daphne. roz uses her ~*feminine charms*~ to attempt to get information out of suspects (usually getting distracted and laid), while daphne uses her psychic powers which often lead them to find evidence for crimes unrelated to the case they're working on.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
"mr. grammer, can you play a man in the throes of a raging cocaine addiction?"
"...i believe i can try. *smirk*"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
season finale: frasier and niles spend the entire episode trying to pin bulldog for various sex crimes. totally ineffectual.

then at the end lilith swoops down and reveals he was - what else? - running an off-track betting ring all along.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
season (series?) finale: frasier and niles confront their worst nightmare: patton "the bloodguzzler" oswalt. parton is defeated in the final act when he is thrust into contact with maris; the extreme osmotic pressure between osmart's titanic bloodlard, and the bloodless husk of maris, result in patton detonating like a monster from Dig-Dug.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

tactlessbastard posted:

I need to rewatch Down Periscope

He doesn't actually bellow much in that movie.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

barbecue at the folks posted:

IDK but "Frasier, but in Vietnam" sounds hilarious

It's a god drat shame Robin Williams is dead because imagine his cameo on this show

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i just got to the episode where niles bangs lilith.

holy poo poo did they tart her up for that one, god drat

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I just finished the show last week.

When they ended that one season with Roz demanding Frasier choose her or that financial commentator, was that supposed to be a trial balloon to see whether audiences wanted Frasier and Roz to end up together in a relationship?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Bust Rodd posted:

But the “joke” is Daphne keeps saying “please respect my privacy” and then they HA HA ignore her! That’s the whole joke, it’s repeatedly played for laughs, I think there’s an underwear gag. I get it, I get why the writers would think it was funny, it’s probably my only real miss in the first 8 seasons, but that episode isn’t funny (to me).

If I remember right there's also a really weird gag where Daphne says all her brothers, except for the gay one dancer, shared a common coming-of-age moment of peeping on Daphne in the shower. It's doubly-gross with "...wait, her brothers got up to peeping her in the shower?" and the "lol gay" joke.

Also that episode had Niles claiming that Maris had sexual intercourse with him so overall I think that episode took place in the alternate hell dimension where airliners struck the World Trade Center, killing thousands.

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 10, 2018

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Calaveron posted:

I don't think his apartment in that flashback was meant to convey him being destitute, just him having simple tastes, choosing to live modestly and also being a slob

I agree. Also Martin bought that RV new, right? That's a pretty dang big chunk of change.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Farrier Theaks posted:

It was the 90s and early 2000s and things were somewhat less than woke

Yeah I started watching Cheers off and on and got really weirded out by Sam literally breaking in the door to Diane's apartment.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

food court bailiff posted:

lmao i just saw this episode for the very first time and was like "holy poo poo call the cops" and diane did not disappoint

but she didn't, she pretended to, then bedded him later. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Bust Rodd posted:

There’s basically an episode that’s just 20 minutes of this but sadly w/o boner. Every time I bring it up one or two Frasierholics will Kramer in here to tell me how that episode is good and funny and not hosed up and creepy at all.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

If I remember right there's also a really weird gag where Daphne says all her brothers, except for the gay one dancer, shared a common coming-of-age moment of peeping on Daphne in the shower. It's doubly-gross with "...wait, her brothers got up to peeping her in the shower?" and the "lol gay" joke.

Also that episode had Niles claiming that Maris had sexual intercourse with him so overall I think that episode took place in the alternate hell dimension where airliners struck the World Trade Center, killing thousands.