Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I started playing this yesterday and decided, "hey let's check out the last couple pages of the goon thread." Thread delivers. I know all about snow, now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I just killed a dude with a pistol at the start that had a scar. I don't even know what this means. Feed me some more anecdotes.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I'm struggling with how I should play. The only "realistic" shooter I played was modern warfare 2 or 3 many years ago. I play Overwatch and I play it very aggressively. I live longer if I start on the outside and work my way in with the circle, but it seems impossible to win like that when I'm racing the circle into people that are set up.

When playing duo/squad I want to start being more aggressive and find the center asap after looting early, but my friends that have played longer are slow moving hiders.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

CMvan46 posted:

You can play agressive when solo too, I do most of the time. The games I've won so far have all been playing aggressive a majority of the time although I do die more at the start too. At least games start quick enough I don't care much.

Do know how this affects your rating? Do I need to be hunting people, or lasting as long as I can to climb?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

lol I didn't know there were different modes of fire

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I think I solved the mystery of not being able to switch to auto sometimes. You have to be holding the gun in your hands. Sometimes the gun looks selected, but you might not be wielding it, for example if it gets put away when running. Took me way too long to figure out why it wasn't switching for me in my last match.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Ashrik posted:

You press X (default) to holster your gun. It shouldn't "just happen". The silhouette of the gun will be faded out when it is holstered. You may also notice that your character no longer has a gun in their hands!

New terrible players like me are bad about not looking at their own model and comprehending it with everything else that is going on. We just see the gun icon that is the right shape. Just a learning moment. I have less than 10 hours played and havent played other games like it.

abigserve posted:

A choked shotgun is currently extremely strong and at least as-good-as the SMG's other than the extended mag vector. I think it's because a shotgun puts em down in one shot wheras the SMG's give them a chance for the lucky flick into the dome. The SMG's (in particular the UMP) are extremely good as well as an AR substitute though so tbh all those guns are pretty well balanced. I also think being able to carry two big guns works fine.

Really I think the guns just need more variety in the vein of the crossbow or VSS - weapons that change the way you play, not just the sound they make when they fire. Also additional attachments that do the same - imagine a bipod attachments for sniper rifles or the AR's, that'd be sick.

The bipod elevates you to see out of grass better when prone. Sounds wicked.

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 20, 2017

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Am I misremembering seeing air strikes too far deep into the blue zone to expect someone to be there?

At the same time I feel like I've been in the PERFECTcenter of those. Seemed unlikely it was that big of a coincidence, though it certainly could be.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Anyone have a particularly good guide for parachuting and beating people to a predetermined place you want to go?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I'm disappointed it's going to be a desert city and not a regular city. Tan city is probably easier to make. If my googling is accurate, the current total map is roughly 5 miles X 5 miles. Making a map that big with this much detail is pretty amazing.
A bunch of a tall buildings with 5+ stories would probably be a pain in the rear end to play in. A few buildings with 10+ stories with multiple stairwells might be pretty neat.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I may need glasses. I had to watch the grimmz 900k video 3 times and had to stop it every few frames before I saw anyone.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I love this game but hate this game. I do awesome in close combat and house combat, but I don't know how to aim at long distances. I had a scar with an 8x and spotted someone on a hill probably about 300-400m away. I shot over his head trying to guess bullet drop and the shot landed above The target. He started moving and I fired probably 4 or 5 five more shots. He spotted me and ducked and killed me. I have no experience with this and don't have time to play all the time. It takes forever to even get rifles and scopes to even properly practice this.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Why is 4x better than 8x?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Not only am I bad, I'm also stupid.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I'm trying to talk some online friends into playing this, but they don't want to drop 30$ on early access when they have some other lovely game on the horizon they want to play.

I noticed there's a bunch of free to play combat games on steam. Are any of them good enough to try to use as bait to get them interested in this?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Google Butt posted:

What's the reasoning though? This is like the only EA game that has been good enough to buy ever.

I didn't know this was an EA game until this post.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Gildiss posted:

First solo chicken dinner.
Tastes good.

Also :lol: at some dude getting very angry at my brother in local voice last night.
"YEAH YOU KEEP TALKING MOTHER FUCKER. OK GOOD. I GOT YOUR IP IM GOING TO HACK YOUR poo poo TO DUST. IM A BLACK HAT HACKER YOU LITTLE poo poo"

Got him with the last bullet in your clip?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

mashed_penguin posted:

I thought desert map was supposed to be in peru?

That's fine. Really tired of Middle East combat sims.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

My first car was a hand me down cavalier. It caught on fire.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I've been on holiday and not at my computer. I'm having withdraws from pubg so I decided to watch it on twitch. I've never watched a popular stream before, and this poo poo is weird. I'm watching a guy play pubg with 25k people watching him and he's complaining about donations and telling people to stop because they are distracting him and he's saying things like he "hates his viewers" and donations just keep pouring in. What the gently caress is wrong with all of these people?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Megasabin posted:

It's clearly explained two posts ago that he's making a reference to an inside joke between him and his streamers. It's not weird at all.

No, it was still weird. But I'm another "old" person that doesn't understand this.

In the new updates for thursday I.m kind of disappointed there wasn't more loot spawn tweaks. I might be overreacting to having trouble finding better gear in the first 5 minutes.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I'm not accusing grimmz of cheating. I just assume he's on another level than me. I know he is, but watching him is weird. It's almost like he's receiving information the viewer can't see. I watch ninja or other streamers and it's not as jarring. I want to watch more now that I'm more comfortable with the game, but that would mean I'd have to not queue up.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

If the circle has closed in to just over grenade range. What is the best gun/sight/muzzle attachment combo for a grass fight with 6 or less people left? I'm looking forward to any answers, but speak up if and humble brag if you've won a lot.

I've been trying to 3rd person target people with my rifle then hit m2 while prone, but the shot doesn't seem to line up. No one is dying but I can't tell if im high or low because I'm blinded by grass. What's the correct method of lining these up?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

cosmicjim posted:

If the circle has closed in to just over grenade range. What is the best gun/sight/muzzle attachment combo for a grass fight with 6 or less people left? I'm looking forward to any answers, but speak up if and humble brag if you've won a lot.

I've been trying to 3rd person target people with my rifle then hit m2 while prone, but the shot doesn't seem to line up. No one is dying but I can't tell if im high or low because I'm blinded by grass. What's the correct method of lining these up?

Anyone?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Drewjitsu posted:

Off the top of my head for solos:

SKS/Red dot or 2x/supressor.

The supressor is basically cheating and the sks hits hard enough that, provided you have the initial hit, win most gunfights.

In a perfect world you also have a suppressed vector/uzi to hose down people that are super close to your position.

But seriously, any rifle + secondary can get you the dinner, patience and positioning is going to be far superior to your armament.

Appreciate the input. It's because of this thread I realized having a suppressor and 8x for everything is not actually optimal at end game. I'd like to hear more.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Still struggling. I want to point at things and they die when I pull the trigger. It still hasn't clicked with me. Ive traditionally played non-realistic fps's like quake. Most recently I'm a masters level (top 5%) player in Overwatch, but I'm just god awful at killing people in this game unless it's inside a house.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

Pretend you're Hanzo except your arrows are really fast.

If that were true, I just have to aim within 2 feet of them to headshot with a projectile the size of a tree trunk.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i've been killed way more by disadvantageous circles than i have by enemy skill in the top ten. it's pretty much a crapshoot between 'whose cover is going to be in the circle? congrats, they win'

The problem with this is the circle doesn't seem to cause the top players to lose very much.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

HelixFox posted:

I just watch Anthony_Kongphan instead. He's a lot more chill, doesn't hide his minimap like a baby, and you get to see the Grimmmz plays without having to suffer Grimmmz.

I was going to post this. Best advice in the thread. Watched him for the first time this weekend.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

The last people in will still be loading in all kinds of stuff most likely.

Also, I would make all kinds of bets these noobisms are projections of what the person posting them was doing when they first started playing.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Flip flops in the snow is going to be amazing.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

This. Also got my third solo chicken dinner a few minutes ago which included starting at the school and ending up running into a random care package headed to the circle and having a suppressed 4x Groza.

A suppressed Groza doesn't uhhh miss. Even at 4x.

Also, has anyone else been getting the "No one landed near me but all of a sudden there are 4 assholes in my little compound" thing lately? Happened 4 rounds in a row to me tonight.

I've had a few of those lately. Just missing them makes more sense, but it's weird it seems to have started suddenly after I've gained a lot more experience jumping and panning.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Myrmidongs posted:

Honestly? Gaming headsets are a turd sandwich the whole way around. Get a nice pair of headphones and either an Antlion Modmic or a Vmoda Boompro. It's a bit more expensive that route, but you end up with better quality headphones that you can use for other stuff, and a better quality mic that isn't permanently bolted on.

I like Sennheiser 598's. Either the open back or closed back version.

Alternate opinion - You need a headset to use open mic without being a noisy rear end in a top hat.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Or own a mechanical keyboard.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

If anyone has any doubt if whether high ping people have any sort of advantage at all, the answer is NO. I play from a place with decent cable internet, and a rural place with DSL. It is ridiculously easier with a better connection. You basically have a head start over people with bad ping in engagements.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

RizieN posted:

How should this be handled? Open membership? I remember in the past I used to have to do all kinds of poo poo to prove I was a forum member.

Do you have stairs in your house?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

RizieN posted:

Perfect. Can we make a discord bot that knows the answer to this question? I bet there are new goons (millennials of course) that don't even know the answer.

The real answer is making something exclusive on the internet doesn't mean the same thing as it used to. Don't tie yourself down to the rat infested sinking ship. Use it as a springboard.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

VulgarandStupid posted:

If we're going to keep pushing ideas blatantly stealing ideas from Rainbow Six: Siege, I want to be able to interrogate downed enemies to get their teammates' locations. I've been trying it, through traditional methods, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Torture has been proven to be ineffective and provide unreliable information. The enemies you are interrogating are probably saying, "over there," "by the tree," or "by the level 1 backpack."

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Roki B posted:

For five hundred bucks I'll tank your rating for u

Which will in turn make it easier to for him to win.

$50 a win. That feels painfully expensive, but on the flip side that isn't much money for the booster if it ends up taking 10 or more games to complete.
I could see there being a market for people that want to impress their friends that also play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Tell them lowtax got his rear end kicked by uve boll.

• Locked thread