Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I drive by the Arkane Austin office all the time, looks like a nice building. Would love to work there, they make such cool stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

If you're an alien clone though, why don't the turrets shoot you?

Valatar posted:

Sadly the ending on pretty much all the Shock games are rubbish

Nah!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

System Shock 2's MedSci track is amazing and I won't hear otherwise.

It may not fit the level at all but it is amazing. :colbert:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Have been avoiding the thread while playing the game, just beat it, and wow. I'm honestly not sure how the two in-progress licensed System Shock games are going to top this. The ending was disappointing, but really I have very few complaints about it other than that. Just about any time I thought to myself, "I wonder if I can..." the answer was almost always "Yes!" The gameplay was good, the level design was absolutely top-notch, most of the writing was solid, the art design was interesting enough to be remarkable but also very well executed. I have nitpicks here and there, but overall, just... this game has been a delight from start to almost-finish. Catching up on the last few pages of the thread makes me quite sad to see that this didn't sell especially well- while I think the story wrapped up well enough that I don't need a Prey 2 (3?) I absolutely want to see more games like this from Arkane, regardless of the IP. Between this and Dishonored, I'm hard-pressed to think of studios I like more right now.

e: and related to the game's poor sales, I agree that they very much dropped the ball on the marketing. I saw the name of it at e3 2016 and ignored it because they didn't make me care, and then heard nothing else until it came out and a guy I watch on youtube sometimes played it and it was amazing. I talked to a lot of my friends who are interested in immsims and none of them had even heard of it at all either.

aniviron fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 23, 2017

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

HATECUBE posted:

ss3 better deliver harder than bioshock and its sequels or I'll be pissed

I know Warren Spector has made some good stuff, but it was all a long time ago, and I have to admit I am skeptical. He's also made a lot of bad stuff, and it was all a lot more recent than the good stuff.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

axeil posted:

but I'm starting to run low on ammo and materials.

Invest in the Engineering perk that increases recycler yields by 30%. Anything that goes in your inventory can be crafted pretty much, and having more materials means having more ammo, or more mods or medkits or whatever you need. If I recall it's just three mods to get that upgrade, which is absolutely worth it.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

lambskin posted:

Mindjack is also great for dealing with groups and also lets you clear areas of mimics easily. Just let your mindcontrolled typhon do the work for you!

I agree that Mindjack definitely has more utility, but by the midgame when I was hunting Typhon to make myself into a biotic god I had enough surplus that I could do fun poo poo like Phantom Genesis. Nothing quite like having your own pet Phantom following you around, especially when you get the upgrade that gives you thermal/voltaic/etheric. It's sad that you can only have one at a time, but I understand why- even having one ally made it trivial to take down Weavers, Technopaths, etc.

It's also worth it just for the reaction you get from the people locked in the cargo bay when you turn their fallen friends into Phantoms in front of their eyes/

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

HenryEx posted:

Phantom Genesis 2 is also pretty nice in the late game, cuz a friendly Voltaic Phantom just easily deals with all these hostile operators on the side while you take care of the important poo poo.

The downside to Voltaic Phantoms as buddies is that they passively electrify catwalks when they touch them. :[ Though I guess with the perk that lets you absorb electrical damage as psi you could turn that into a benefit.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I want a Typhon plush toy.

Me too!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Prey was on the summer sales top sellers the last two days which spurred a little hope for me that the game might continue to sell well and Zenimax would make more games like this; it's still in the top 25 but dropping fast, disappointingly. At least Dishonored 2 is well-represented on there.

Also, speaking of the cook, does anyone know who he's supposed to be? I figured out pretty fast my first time he wasn't who he was saying he was thanks to the audio log with the real cook's completely different voice, but are there any hints to which crew member the fake cook actually is?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Digirat posted:

he's an escaped "volunteer."

Oh, now I feel really silly. The accent should have been a giveaway.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Depends on what you mean to be "Of note." Just like the rest of the station there are dead bodies and crates to loot, enemies to fight, and a number of quests, though of the four three quests I can think of that send you outside none of them start there. There are also a number of neat things to find that are referenced in audio logs that aren't a specific part of anything else, like the dead guy on the transtar billboard orbiting the station

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

Oh dude that's not a bug the quest is literally just programmed to break the objective arrow when you get to the zone unless you have activated his tracking bracelet.

I'm on my 2nd play through and the double-jump boost chip is a hilarious game changer and definitely perfectly compliments the Slow Glide Chip and the mobility neuromods. Oh Prey, my EZ GOTY

Can't believe I missed double jump in my first run, it was amazing in Dishonored and it would be amazing here. Guess I know what I have to find starting next time.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Utnayan posted:

Well, Bioshock sold over 25 million copies series wide with over 11 million being Bioshock Infinite with, outside of this echo chamber, glowing reviews for both press and gamers alike. 2017 Prey might be lucky to crack 750k sold combined across all platforms. So, I guess it's pretty easy to come to a conclusion which world building technique is more desired. If you present show me over read me, I guarantee you 99% of everyone will pick show me any day of the week. That isn't Prey's only glaring issue though. Prey has no soul to it.

Utnayan posted:

Metacritic, and even the users, disagree. And went on to sell over 11 million copies and was the best selling Bioshock game ever. I consider that most definitely not a reason why irrational games folded.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/bioshock-infinite

Levine didn't destroy the studio. Levine wouldn't let Take Two fluff out carbon copy sequels.

Regardless of my opinion on which games are good and not, "Thing is popular" is a horrible metric by which to judge how good that thing is. Justin Bieber is popular. Fidget spinners are popular. Popular garbage is absolutely festooned throughout every facet of culture.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

DLC Inc posted:

I'm still amused how The Nightmare can get into your main office. That was quite a shocker, idk how it squeezed in there.

I wish it could squeeze into tight areas a lot better. The nightmare is a super cool concept and in the Typhon trailer it sorta squishes down to fit through the double wide doors just fine; but in the game as it is you just find a slightly elevated area or a door and shoot it/psychoshock it repeatedly while it fails to deal with you. I wound up using all four calls to the satellite back to back to get five nightmares delivered to my doorstep and then went on a mad power trip with the million neuromods that let me create.

It wouldn't be so bad if the game didn't have such excellent level design. But every single area the nightmare can spawn in a little creativity can get you somewhere it won't be able to harm you within seconds. I find Technopaths and Telepaths far more dangerous.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Digital Osmosis posted:

^^^^^ I'm reasonably sure he's referring to a side-mission that spawns only if you've installed a particular number of typhon mods and killed the Nightmare a certain number of times. I went 100% pure human lol in my playthrough so I missed it entirely.

Ah, had no idea it was a triggered thing- I just got a call from January who said I could install some stuff on a satellite if I wanted to bitch out of nightmare fights and even though that didn't sound like something I'd do taking an EVA to go mess around with satellites did sound fun- so I installed it, and it puts an audio log in your inventory that lets you dismiss or summon the nightmare at will, four times.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Vib Rib posted:

Though I'm not too hot on the "all meat is eels" aspect.

I was not really sold on the eels thing for a long time either- it was clearly a Dishonored reference which was neat haha I guess; but it seemed really out of place, like an arbitrary and exotic thing to have on a space station for no reason. Then, when I got to water treatment in life support they explain that the eels are there because they're detritivores which dispose of the sewage and then go on to become food themselves. It went from dumb to cool really fast because that's the kind of neat efficiency thing that would happen on a real, large space station. Which, I guess is a weird way to say it but it went from being unimmersive to really immersive and that's what sold me on it.

Also eel is pretty tasty, gotta agree with Ghostlight.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Turning off some of the things that alert you to enemies might be nice, especially the big obvious bar above their heads when they see you- but a lot of the things that mod disables are things that make pretty good sense immersion-wise, especially since you're wearing a fuuuuutre spacesuit with a special head attachment.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

BBQ Dave posted:

Doing my no human mods runthrough on hard.

How is it? I've been tempted to do that run next time I play, but going full Typhon without taking any of the scientist tree stuff that lets you upgrade your Psi or Psychoscope sounds like a real pain in the rear end. Not sure how I would do that besides just rushing straight to the quest that lets you drug the water

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I think you will find that it is the older brother that is always the jerk, thank you very much. :colbert:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Prey sold another ~65k copies in the summer sale, according to Steamspy. Not as much as I would hope for, but it brings it above 300k sold on Steam at least; here's to hoping they meet whatever quota exists for more Arkane games like this to get made.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

turn off the TV posted:

I'm not sure why they went with Art Deco, the station should have been brutalist, given the timeline.

Much as I adore some good Brutalism, it comes from béton brut, French for bare concrete; and I'm inclined to agree with the namer that concrete or at least breezeblock is necessary for the look to really work. Would be a bit strange to have a space station made of concrete, given its heavy, porous nature.

Realistically I think they went with deco because it looks nice and isn't that hard to make, and tends to already be associated with retrofuturism thanks to properties like Bioshock, Fallout, etc. I think a different look might have been better suited to the game, but with that said I think the environment was very nicely executed.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

So ending spoilers Those who say the choice wasnt meaningful because obviously they were going to pick the obvious certain choice are wrong. I know I am not the only one who picked Kill Them All - I cant be. And it was a choice I put thought it. I really stopped and thought about who I was, what it all meant to be, and who and what I should do. Like others I had figured out most of what was going on prior to the end - the earth being typhonized, the fact you are still in a simulation and its all a test, etc. I had somehow missed that I myself was a typhon though and it changed everything.

I try to just sort of go with my gut on the first play of a game like this, and found the Typhon surprisingly sympathetic, even without knowing the twist. Not many of the humans do things in the game that make me think "Yeah, this is worth saving." I wasn't sure about the Typhon either way for a long time because their motives are so mysterious; though clearly they've evolved to be something fascinating, something that interested me. What sealed the deal was the confirmation that coral is a neural map of the people who have been consumed. The Typhon aren't good, but they're not bad either, they operate outside of that reference framework, and I honestly find the idea of the massive shared neural framework quite interesting, as well as the structure of the various forms of Typhon that function to fill different roles towards a single end.

To that end, I played very Typhon-heavy, not gunless per se but going very heavy into psionics; and I was delighted to be able to choose to finish off the humans at the end, even if I did wind up saving quite a few (but not all) of the humans on the station in the sim. I know there's a pretty good argument for joining Alex since his plan is to splice together Typhon and Human into some kind of exotic fusion cuisine, but like I said, at the time I went with my gut and that involved killing them all.

Arglebargle III posted:

So, wait, hang on... why doesn't anyone try to radio Earth throughout all this?

Someone mentions that external comms are down, don't remember if it's an audio log or what, but there's been no way to radio off the station since the start of the incident. What puzzled me more was how the board knew to send Dahl even though comms were down.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Neurosis posted:

you have a strange moral compass. the choice between a devouring alien physically incapable of empathising and even the decidedly flawed group of people on talos seems incredibly self-evident to me.

In regards to my strange moral compass (not gonna argue that point, at least) there are definitely places shown in the game that the Typhon are alive and conscious in some form on a level roughly equivalent to humanity- the best example is when the player Typhon has the visions that break through the simulation ("They're lying to you" etc) which wouldn't be happening if the Typhon were just mindless devourers like lions or what have you.

I might be misremembering this but I also seem to recall that someone in the game says the coral in part has the same neural patterns as the people who were eaten to make it. That would mean that in a fairly real sense, they're not dead, but absorbed. I find that fascinating, and between the coral and the evidence for Typhon sapience I think there's at least a choice to be made there rather than just "do you want to be bad." The fact that the Typhon are so enigmatic and hostile means most players will and probably should choose the ending that sides with Alex; I didn't because I find the Typhon quite interesting, and because I am a cranky old misanthrope.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Regardless of the answer, I do very much enjoy that the Typhon are, as someone said, fairly inscrutable. Mass Effect and Star Trek and the like always bug me that aliens are just blue humans or whatever; life adapts to such a wide variety of circumstances the odds of meeting an alien that's pretty much just you except with cat ears are infinitesimally smaller than meeting an alien in the first place.

There's just enough there with them in the game that it gives us something interesting to talk about.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Ojetor posted:

Gameplay-wise, maybe it's because I played on Normal, but Combat Focus feels completely broken. The game started out challenging until I got points in Focus and just bullet timed everything to death with the shotgun (or stun gun for mechanicals). Even the Nightmare is a huge chump if you Focus and unload your shotgun on it. I went from "OH GOD RUN" whenever it appeared to "eh, you again?".

I played on hard, and no, that's just the way the game goes. I didn't really bother with combat focus, I went psi-heavy, and the game starts out with you being terrified of a phantom and ends with you chumping the hardest stuff the game can throw at you. The difference seems to be largely how long it takes for you to go from peasant to murdergod, the higher difficulties make it take longer. Combat focus is very strong indeed, but it's not stronger than psychoshock or superthermal or any of the other abilities; the game's difficulty progression is just generous as long as you're doing things besides beelining the main story, in which case I guess you'd have few enough mods and upgrades to make it tough since the spawning of tougher enemies is linked to where you are in the main plot.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

double nine posted:

Also I ran into a weird bug where the Life Support and Power Plant map completely reset. All containers, all enemies, all doors are back to where they were when I first entered. All computers that I have read the emails from have them as read, the audio logs I can pick up are similary marked as listened to, and I have all keycards to re-unlock all doors, but it's very strange. Normally the big coolant room should have the white gas, but that's not there right now - it's in the state you first find it i.e. a bunch of mimics and generic/voltaic phantoms and an active turret, with several fires going.

I had this happen to the Arboretum. It was weird and bad and unsettling but didn't seem to affect my progression though the game. Still seems like a pretty major bug though and it was a long time ago, before the save corruption thing was patched; I guess it hasn't been fixed though.

Fiannaiocht posted:

I'm so peeved that the chips are random. I just did my final sweep before ending the game and I'm missing a couple of chip types. At least they weren't important for my build, missing out on psi regen would suck.

What, you don't need six laser resistance chips? I made good use out of all of mine. :colbert:

I do wish the chips were quasi-random instead of fully random though. Three of my first four were laser resist chips and this was right at the beginning of the game and nothing even does laser damage until the end with the military operators. I was so loving confused, I thought maybe I had to be upgrading them or recycling them or something, but no it turns out they were actually just worthless. Did a run that was almost entirely psi-focused and never got the psi regen chip either.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Okay, you have all convinced me, Blindslight is next in my reading queue.

And yeah, the first thing I thought of when I saw the looking glass stuff was oldskool Quake/UT-era skyboxes. I have seen a lot of youtubers really impressed with it and it is a really nicely done effect, but it's still pretty much a breakable skybox.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Hope so, be neat to have something scoped with long range.

That was something I really liked though, your helmet has a built-in zoom both before and after the psychoscope gets installed, and you can use it while firing. A++.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Vib Rib posted:

I love that this was a serious reason to not do something. :allears:
loving reployers, man.

Does the game ever tip its hand about what they were actually meant for? At first I ignored them, after a few audio logs it confused me, and after a few more where it was lampshaded it started to get funny, but there's so much to explore I can never tell if I just missed something.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I think part of the issue with the very end is how reluctant the game is to kill you. You have to go out of your way playing like a psycho on purpose to really get the 'bad' ending. If it weren't as easy to get to the juncture where you make the choice about whether or not to destroy Alex and his bots, it might feel more meaningful.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It's not just combat focus though, any competent build can do that. Psychoshock is as good if not better, it completely shuts down the enemy's ability to do anything but hug you and does a fuckton of damage, then you just use superthermal, q beam, or whatever you want. A lot of the powers are kind of absurd. Things like Phantom Genesis II are also a bit bonkers, your own phantoms seem to have a lot more health than the enemy so they just run around murdering anything that gets close to you without you even firing- I had a thermal phantom that solo'd a weaver and two more phantoms for me at once while I spectated and came out with half health. There are so many strong abilities in this game, it's just that most people go for combat focus because it's easy to get and obvious it's going to be good before you pick it. But I feel like you'd have to go out of your way to make a bad build without any combat options that make the game easy later.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I blew Kaspar up (in space) and didn't have any issues with Big D after that, encountered him in the arboretum. Might just be randomly buggy.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

QuarkJets posted:

the only things that you need to know is that there is a double-jump and a Princess Peach glide feature and they are awesome once you get them

If you get blessed by the game's RNG, that is. You might also find four laser resistance modules right away that aren't even useful for 90% of the game instead.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The cargo bay containers can be opened with one of the computers, if it's the ones I'm thinking of.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Kinetic Blast is an excellent mod, assuming you build around it. On hard, I was able to one-shot phantoms and large groups of mimics with it, and the psychoshock/kinetic blast combo will tear apart almost anything. The key is specializing your build. Everything is good, you just have to make sure you're getting the most out of whatever you're doing.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I feel like Typhon only would be ace... if you could get the scientist perks that make your psi pool better and psi hypos not suck.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah, rushing that seemed like the only way to make it playable, but doesn't that only become available fairly late in the game? It took me a long time to stumble on it, anyway.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

So I get that this game has a plot or something but frankly I'm enjoying it as some kind of larcenous spider monkey simulator where my immediate response to a new area is "how can I climb up to the roof and steal everything not nailed down?"

I played this game and Night in the Woods back to back, and they're my favourite games of the year for completely opposite reasons. Prey's plot is... okay. It's good in that it serves as an effective hook to allow you to do all the amazing gameplay stuff it has to offer, but it's not special in terms of storytelling. Night in the Woods was the opposite, and really highlighted the interesting way in which games can be so different yet still be great; NITW has effectively no gameplay, but the story was so good that I kept going anyway. It just highlighted for me how Prey uses the story as a tool for the gameplay instead of the other way around like NITW.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I think the wrench is better than you give it credit for; like the rest of the game's weapons, it really shines only when paired with sneak attacks/gloo/electricity/psychoshock/combat focus. It's pretty useful throughout the game.

That said, a melee-only run would be miserable in Prey compared to SS2 with the Crystal Shard and Laser Rapier also available to you.

To the poster a couple pages back who mentioned the game's absurdly bad texture pop-in- lower your texture quality. I was having that issue as well, could play with maxed textures and it looked great in the first room I loaded into, only to find that as soon as I left anything further than 10m from me would be a solid colour. Turned my textures down to medium and while stuff doesn't look quite as nice up close, everything distant looks like a game should.

Also, to the people way back when who recommended the novel Blindsight as a good point of reference for discussing the Typhon intelligence and first-contact scenarios, thanks! It was an excellent read, and really does feel applicable to Prey. The idea of intelligence without consciousness seems to make a lot of sense in regards to the Typhon, and in this light I'm a lot more impressed with the game, since it's a tall order to have a discussion like that in a video game compared to a book, given the strengths and weaknesses of the media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah, but that doesn't make it worse than the pistol or early game shotgun even. Wrench does fall off late game but still has a useful place against quite a few enemies if that's your thing.

I wish it had a weapon upgrade path like the other guns though. That would probably be enough to make it workable at all difficulties and more enemies.