Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

This game is so goddamn good and I'm so happy to see this already up. I'm looking forward to being aboard the Dark Id- Yoko Taro ride knowing what's coming for once.

As for those that don't know, the soundtrack is available digitally. Do not look into it if you don't know anything about the game, because titles are spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

TooManyUzukis posted:

Its not a spoiler, it's a link to the twitch.tv page of the VA he's talking about. Don't know why he put it in tags, really.

Because if you click that link you will be spoiled several hours all the way up to the ending.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

IIRC, angelic showed up as the black scrawl letters in the original nier.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

When I try to think of my favorite song on the ost I always end up going "Oh but what about that one". There are so many great songs, even for just small little things.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

If on PC, gmg has it for 25% off if you have an account with a extra 5% off voucher code.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

Actually he's stopped using the Dragon Punch and now favors the Wyvern Punch. It's not as good, but costs less energy and is easier to mass produce.

Certain members of the dragon community are less than pleased by this.

Filthy wveryns, taking jobs and punches that good Midgardian dragons can do :argh:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I could have sworn that one of the first opening scenes in N:A was the current year but I don't see it in TDI's first post so I may be misremembering.

Maybe it's post-prologue?

It's the first scene after the prologue iirc.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

GeneX posted:

why are you even discussing potential spoilers already

what is wrong with you people

Id threads never change.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Chaos language. Emi Evans combined a bunch of languages into one that sounds like it mimics other languages depending on the song. So sometimes it may sound English, Japanese, French, or others.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

VagueRant posted:

Steam experts, when do you next think the game will be on sale? Do they usually do an Easter sale or anything? (Can't remember if there's already been a Spring sale)

The LP keeps really making me want to play it. And the thread has reassured me on the bullet hell stuff. And I can hold my graphics card together with a zip tie. But drat it, I'm still a big ol' tightpurse!

It may go on sale in June during the summer sale, but if it does I wouldn't expect much since it seems to be selling well. GreenManGaming has it for $45 USD if you have an account with them. If you want it, I'd try and get it from them if you can.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

a kitten posted:

I think maybe i really fuckin' love this game is what i'm saying.

:same:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Iretep posted:

I thought the corpse system was kind of dumb at first but then i realised that the game doesent auto save. Which means that as long as you can get your corpse back you dont lose any progress. If you lose your corpse youll just have to reload from your last manual save. Its technically a pretty forgiving system as long as your corpse doesent get stuck in a place where you cant get it safely. Which there arent many.

Due to the fact that you can just reload your last save, the corpse system doesn't just become really dumb, it also becomes really loving pointless. It's the biggest blemish on this otherwise amazing game.

Though granted, I only died once (:smug:) so it was never a problem for me, which in a way made it even more pointless.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

END ME SCOOB posted:

B) you can jump over that fence in your screenshot, it's a one-way passage but it's passable. I used it as a shortcut back all the time.

Was going to post this as well. You have to double jump over the middle part and you just barely fit through. I only figured it out because I was stubborn.:v:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

people start migrating out and intermarry with the machines, and then the second third of the game is a combo Spore/Sims machine/android interbreeding minigame, and then the last third of the game is using your hybrid children in an RTS to kill the sisters that spawned out of the flower 2B is hiding under her blindfol

Wow dude, just spoil the cooking mama style final boss too while you're at it.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Turning that corner and seeing the amusement park made me just stare in awe for a few minutes before muttering a very confused "...what"

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

GeneX posted:

I murdered absolutely everything in the park and I regret nothing

What does it feel like, being worse than hitler?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

The xenomorph dick is the only spot I've ever died. She revealed it and locked into her OHKO attack at the same time so I had no time to react. The boss fight is insanely cool and one of the best, but that's just a bit poo poo design.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Spatula City posted:

I know, right? Sci-fi is generally pretty good at sorting out people who are actually empathetic from people that like to think they are, but won't really ever put in the mental effort if the "other" is too different from them. It is immoral to NOT consider the androids and machines worthy of empathy.

To be fair, it took me a while to warm up to 2B, 9S, and the androids. Especially compared to papa Nier, Weiss, and Kaine.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

:h: pet

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

The Dark Id posted:

Also I'll probably be starting a goddamn Limbo of the Lost revisit VLP soon thanks to Patreon nonsense.

Please Id, think of your poor liver. Has it not suffered enough!?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Emil did nothing wrong.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

This interaction between 6O and 2B has some of my favorite voice acting from 2B in the game. She's maintaining that "I'm professional" vibe while still trying to show caring in her own way. Just reading the text makes it seem like 2B is dismissive but she does actually care, even just a little bit.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

exploded mummy posted:

it's the Angelic for "A, C, G, T"

the best possible connection I could come up with is that those are the symbols for the 4 nucleobases of DNA.

Worth noting those are the same letters that made up the black scrawl.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

iospace posted:

That's the other thing I was wondering. When I do the third LP, do I do the thread or the archive?

iospace posted:

That's the other thing I was wondering. When I do the third LP, do I do the thread or the archive?

If you got archives, I'd recommend the thread. It was one of the few times an ID LP also had a good thread too. Plus it's only 2 years old so the posts should still have most of the images which is good because there was a lot of bizarre (in a good way) fan art for that one :v:. It also has everyone's reaction to nier:a getting announced which was a pretty amazing thing that I'm pretty sure created 10-20 pages on its own.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Chokes McGee posted:

Gotta say, this ride hasn't been quite as :yokotaro: as in the past. Did they finally rein him in, or are we just waiting for the crazy dam to break?

Oh don't worry he's reigned in fully now and this is going to be a happy romp from here to the finish line :unsmigghh:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

What's his reason for life is strange? I just beat it so I'm curious

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Beefstew posted:

He said that it had something to do with being young and stuff, but I'm sure it's really because it becomes a psychedelic nihilism simulator by the end.

True, the game practically becomes a Yoko Taro game in later parts, so him liking it isn't a shock :v:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

9S is good, strong, and my friend

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

iospace posted:

Sliiiiiiightly off topic, what TDI LP should I read while waiting on updates for this one? I did the Nier and Drakengard 1 ones, so recommendations would be nice.

Drakengard 3 is a real good lp, was also a good thread too. I'm also a big fan of the chrono cross lp and it isn't as long as the others iirc.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

S.D. posted:

Possessed by Disease is a great track - the non-BECOME AS GODS version was used in the 2015 Paris Games trailer for the game, and it was such a great track that as a Platinum Games fan, I was pretty hooked.

One of my friends, who's not a Platinum fan but IS a Nier fan (who hadn't heard about Automata before I mentioned it) immediately put down cash for a preorder.

Watching one of the live performances of possessed by disease was incredible. There's like no editing in what you hear in her performance, it's all her.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

AradoBalanga posted:

9S gets a 10 for dramatic entrance, but loses 8 points for failing to stick the landing.

I don't know, I'd give him a nines out of ten

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Forgall posted:

God, it's such a stock jrpg villain speech.

The A route final chapter is pretty lackluster. Not to say there's no cliche stuff later but If the game ended after eve it would have been super disappointing.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

exploded mummy posted:

also Eve should have been voiced by Cam Clarke

: You killed my brother...such...unending pain...Uggghhh

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Dr. Snark posted:

Quoting this for truth.

I don't know about Id, but this is probably my favorite track out of the entire DrakenNier franchise, and that is not a statement I make lightly.

I think I may still give a slight edge to this silence is mine, but this one is right behind it. The funny thing is, I think the English one is my least favorite version of it despite still loving it dearly. Don't want to elaborate until we hear the others though.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Schwartzcough posted:

I appreciate them trying to make the ending impactful with a character death, but it really just falls flat when they point out he can restore his data from like 20 minutes ago. Nothing that character-building happened since 9S performed an orbital faceplant. They started the game off with him losing a couple minutes of memories from self-destructing and it was no big deal.

Also, 2B and 9S, you know you can just pull out your OS chip for a quick and painless death, right? 2B is an old pro at it. No need to go for the strangulation method.

While it would be 9S from 20 minutes ago, that's still 20 minutes of a person who dies. If you were to lose the past 20 minutes of your life are you the same person? The game hasn't really touched on it to this point, but androids being able to just reboot themselves are still losing who they were before the reboot.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Mega64 posted:

I think my brain just broke

:yokotaro:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

GeneX posted:

I goddamn wish we were playing as a stubby.

:same:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

I want that shirt.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Lopside posted:

nope!!!!!! This is me back in 2014 (before Yoko Taro schooled me on the Emil head construction) on the way to Anime Central in Chicago. Here I am drunk on the CTA at 2AM in full regalia. My pal went as Kaine with me but I dont really feel comfortable uploading duo pics without asking her first because... that is certainly a costume--you can see a bit of her train appropriate edit reflected in the window though, haha.

I was only recognized by three people at the con at the time but they were all super thrilled to see Nier getting love, I feel like it might get a more bombastic reception now due to the wondrous and totally inexplicable recent mainstream success of Yoko Taro.

I'm so glad I saw this picture now, hungover, rather then when it was posted and drunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Solitair posted:

Couldn't disagree more. I found 1's story (except endings D and E of course) much duller than 3's. The dumb, goofy bullshit was a nice change of pace, and it didn't stick around that long anyway.

My only exposure to drakengard games are Id LPs and some random YouTube videos, but I agree. 1 was a lot more batshit of course, but 3 had characters I liked and had good moments that I remember and enjoyed. 1 was just :wtc: from midway through to the end with nothing really enjoyable outside the music which is good because of how hosed up it is.

• Locked thread