Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

haveblue posted:

Only because at the time they were Clover and had not yet achieved their final form.

NGB was absolutely the best brawler of that generation but none of the 360-era NG games lived up to it.

That's a weird way to spell God Hand

Jay Rust posted:

That's surprising to hear. These days it's commonly accepted that they were actually pretty mediocre games but felt good thanks to the graphics and the general dearth of contemporary RPGs on handheld.

People could correct me if I'm wrong, maybe it's still the golden sun it was at the time

No, you're right, even in 2002 I would have found the idea of Golden Sun being "not tedious" pretty laughable

raditts fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Apr 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Dr Cheeto posted:

Why is TB bad I know nothing of youtube gamesmen besides maybe Jimbo and Dunkey

He used to post here and the only thing I can remember about him is that his posts were really bad.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Franchescanado posted:

drat, he just can't not draw Goku

Look, you can't go to Toriyama for concept art and not expect derivative Dragonball characters.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I think this Pepsi commercial everyone is upset about would have gone over a lot better if Pepsiman had been there to help systematically end racism and police brutality.

Thank you for ending racism Pepsiman.

Pepsi for TV-Game. Pepsi for America.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The White Dragon posted:

wtf... i just saw the chrono cross watch...

should i buy it

Chrono Cross wasn't worth buying so I'm gonna go ahead and say the watch isn't either

Mordja posted:

I don't know if I'm just a crotchety nofunman, but my skind starts to crawl whenever I see #BRANDS engage in poo poo like this.

Just enjoy the things you like and either buy the product or don't

It's not that difficult

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

Maaaaan, when Barkley 2 finally comes out, your head's gonna explode.

It'll probably just crumble, because by the time Barkley 2 comes out we'll all be corpses.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I don't understand, what do these companies think they have to gain from this poo poo

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

StrixNebulosa posted:

This is actually really informative? I...never knew what FYAD stood for until now. I've been the weenie who's stuck to games, the LP forum, and flirted around some of the other specialty subforums like the Book Barn and such.

e: I'm the wrong kind of person for FYAD and GBS. I go into those forums, don't find a lot of those threads to be informative or funny, and often just quietly leave, a disappointed lurker. Not to say they're bad places, just that it's not for me. :shobon:

GBS pre-2008 or so was a pretty cool place that had a lot of fun and memorable threads. It went on a decline but stayed pretty good until the dark and gritty GBS reboot 3-4 years ago, and it's been mostly unreadable poo poo ever since. I don't even bother checking it anymore these days.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

fridge corn posted:

There are only 2 genders

But in the sequel Link finds the NO.3 GENDER to break the spell over Zelda

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

All boxes matter.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Looks like I missed gamerpet sharing time but gently caress it, this is Nessie and she enjoys the Nintendo 2DS Handheld Gaming System

Grapplejack posted:

I loved the aesthetic that comix zone went for, it was great.

It's too bad Comix Zone was terrible as an actual game.

The Colonel posted:

i played this game years ago and all i remember from it is a whole lot of sex jokes

plays pretty decently though

Comic Jumper was such a bizarrely half-baked game, like it could have been good and they nailed the aesthetic of the different comic styles, but then they forgot to work on the game. Like half the upgrades you get in the game that are supposed to make your attacks stronger literally do nothing, it's so loving weird. Shame that Twisted Pixel peaked with Splosion Man.

If you want a game that matches Comix Zone in terms of "a brawler where you smash through comic panels that isn't a very good game" though, then Unbound Saga is a closer match.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytb1wK838TU

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 8, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Mordja posted:

Clean your kitchen, you loving animal.

Make me, bitch.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kins posted:

Nobody with that many dirty dishes can ever be truly considered a good boy.

That's a breakfast nook so this picture was probably taken after breakfast or something, I don't remember.
And Nessie is a girl. A good girl.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I bought Total Warhammer for $12 and then The Witness for $12 and feel like things worked out pretty well. I think I might get Inside for $12

I got a Humble Monthly a couple months ago because the featured game was Xcom 2 and I had a discount from buying a humble bundle, and it turned out that one also had Steamworld Heist so those made it worthwhile to me for :10bux:
The next couple also featured games I wanted, but the April one looks like all garbage besides The Witness so I'll probably hop off that train unless next month features something really good.
So overall I wouldn't lump Humble Monthly with most of these garbage packages since it's really more like "pay $12 for this one game if you want, and you might get some other stuff you like too" ... although I'm sure the idea is indeed that you sign up for something you like and forget to unsubscribe. But that's hardly unique to the "mystery box" phenomenon, that's like every product that offers a trial of some sort going back for several decades.

precision posted:

1 second on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feNIl9IKj7w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeMgN6XA2Ng

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRx_aOEmgHs (holy poo poo!!!)

So now women have Loot Boxes specifically aimed at them.

I want to say we've reached the peak of Capitalism Mountain here, but there is always higher to climb, I'm sure.

raditts fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 8, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Help Im Alive posted:

A mystery box where you get a random selection of old nes/snes/sega cartridges might be cool

This month's box theme: ALIEN INVASION!
*contains Atari 2600 E.T. and NES Bart vs. the Space Mutants*

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I will admit that I was tempted to order Bitsbox for my kids since they're interested in learning programming and that 3D remake of Zelda 1 they put up online before Nintendo smacked it down was a hell of an advertisement. Not tempting enough to spend $20 a month on though.

Dr Cheeto posted:

LEGO blind boxes would own bones and I'm sorry they don't exist

As if Lego hadn't gotten in on that racket years ago, they sell blind bags containing a random minifigure from a set group at pretty much any store that sells lego stuff. They're like $5 a pop though. That's probably the best you could hope for from them.

raditts fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 8, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Phantasium posted:

I played the Ys VIII demo after Zelda and Square is the character switch button in that. I kept furiously changing between party members every time I wanted to attack.

I don't know what the rest of the button layout is like, but that sounds like pretty bad design.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

KingSlime posted:

Of course there is. God drat it of course that's a thing already.

Well if they're going to have touchscreen intensive games, that's just going to be a matter of course.

Why they didn't do the opposite thing with the switch that they did with the Wii U and make the handheld part transmit to the dock for second screen stuff for games that might need it, the world may never know.

raditts fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 10, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

corn in the bible posted:

the real question is, why the gently caress is there a touchscreen on the switch

For all the Switch's faults, no crime would be greater than allowing Miiverse to die.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

KingSlime posted:

PS1 had a ton of good games, and a fuckload of bad ones

I'm still kinda mad that the Poy Poy series died on the ps1, I used to play the poo poo out of those games in college. It could have been incredible with online play. Rot in hell Konami.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Harrow posted:

I expect it was specifically to shake off that last part. Nintendo has made some moves to try to broaden their library beyond specifically family-friendly games. I think they've gone a bit further on handheld than on console (see: SMT4/Apocalypse), but Wii U has things like Bayonetta 2 and (possibly to a lesser extent) Xenoblade X that aren't child-friendly games. They also wanted to try to appeal to "core gamers" with the Wii U, if I remember correctly.

The plan didn't quite work out and Bayonetta 2 stands out as one of the few non-first-party games on Wii U that's actually good, but it was a worthwhile thing to try.

The "family friendly" Nintendo image only ever applied to Nintendo of America anyway, didn't it? Back in the NES / SNES days they were infamous for bowdlerizing games for US release, removing blood and naughty language and all that, and even up to today when weeaboos rage about how characters are changed to dress more modestly or can't date their siblings or whatever.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Harrow posted:

I think it was more NoA at first, but like others pointed out, the Wii era definitely went for family friendliness in all regions. Nintendo basically leaned into it. Their western pre-release marketing for the Wii U seemed to insist that it would be a system for "core gamers" as well as families, which would explain the smattering of third party titles not aimed at kids/families like Bayonetta 2 or Xenoblade X. Their first party titles are always family-friendly though.

Fair enough, admittedly I can't really think of any games on the Wii that are not kid-friendly.

Sakurazuka posted:

The Famicom literally stands for family computer....

Golgo-13 and its sequel, games where you're a sniper who assassinates high profile targets and bangs ladies in every city you travel to: fun for the whole family on the Family Computer
Oddly, also managed to make it to the US with seemingly none of that censored, although I've never seen the Japanese versions for comparison.

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 13, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

FirstAidKite posted:

The game's ending is weird though. It ends with you beating the final boss and him talking about how he's sorry and that it's just that he was jealous that you don't play with him or the other old toys anymore and that he just wants you to remember your old toys, to never forget them when you get older. Then you play a final mission where you're flying a toy commercial airliner around the room you were fighting the final boss in. You land the plane to pick up some passengers, then when you take off the game cuts to a scene of the plane flying off towards some models of mountains and then it reveals the whole game has actually been the dream of a plane pilot who fell asleep at the cockpit and is about to crash the plane into some mountains,
except he gets woken up just in time by a flight attendant and he manages to avoid crashing the plane.

Hahaha, what the gently caress? Talk about your "you die in the game, you die in real life" situations.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Harrow posted:

It was the least exciting of the console generations during which I was actually playing games, I guess. I suppose I can't really compare it to pre-NES stuff because I wasn't playing games yet so I don't really have any experience there.

It's probably just down to the kinds of games that I like. For me, NES, SNES/Genesis, PS1/N64, and PS2/Xbox/GameCube were crazy treasure troves of rad games everywhere. Maybe I also feel like the PS3/360/Wii generation was kinda crappy just because of how long it was around and, even though there were a lot of good games, they were pretty far between.

This is ridculous, the PS3/360 generation is when online multiplayer and digital downloads became mainstream on consoles, and when indie / smaller developers were able to break into the console space. (I don't know that the Wii can rightly be counted in this though, because Nintendo was/is so hilariously far behind in online implementation.)
If you can't think of like a dozen games just offhand that you enjoyed and you owned at least one of those consoles then there's something wrong with you.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

well, scalpers are really gonna cash in now, aren't they.

Help Im Alive posted:

With how successful the NES Mini was, why hasn't Sega made a Little Genesis with a bunch of Sonic games/Gunstar Heroes etc

https://www.amazon.com/Sega-Genesis...genesis+classic
No Gunstar Heroes, but you can get it on other consoles so there is that I guess?

an actual dog posted:

I mean, I'm pretty sure they're in a situation where they could keep making a cheap, fad console or make more switches.

¿Por que no los dos?

raditts fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 13, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Snak posted:

To my tiny brain, this makes the most sense if they are planning to release the entire library of the NES Classic on the switch. As like a bundle.

It's like you don't know Nintendo at all

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

FirstAidKite posted:

I live above a pool store and the person operating the pool store was running a generator down there and when they closed up the store, they left the generator on and the generator says not to operate indoors or else because it emits carbon monoxide and can kill in minutes if left running in an enclosed space. Had to open up the windows and ventilate the apartment and go downstairs and pull open their garage door in order to shut off the generator.

You should probably move as soon as you can. Having a neighbor whose ignorance can literally kill you does not sound like a good time. Don't die, dude.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

Is 14 bucks a good price for the Lego Avengers game?

Depends, is cdkeys considered a legit site? They have it for $3.79.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Dr Cheeto posted:

Ben McCurry, the freelancer who wrote a scathing takedown of Brash Games within his Pacman 256 review has a piece up on Jim Sterling's website about just how terrible Brash Games and Paul Ryan are.

The most baffling part of this to me is why they were having him do a review of a game that has been out for like 2 years. Even the Steam version has been out almost a year.

Lurdiak posted:

It is not.

Oh. Well, I'd probably wait for a steam sale or something. Lego games usually go on sale for $5-10 about 6-12 months after release, and I think there was a deal on Bundlestars or something a couple months back where you could get any 3 of them for $10.
If you can't wait that long then I guess $15 is decent.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Am I experiencing deja vu here or have we had this exact conversation already in this thread

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

bloodychill posted:

Not only that, Lego Avengers is a really weak follow-up to Lego Marvel, though that is admittedly the highest mark in the silly Lego collectathon series by quite a bit.

Lego games are still fun IMO, but my opinion of them dropped a bit after they did Lego Hobbit, only made 2/3 of the story with the intention of making the last third DLC, then never actually made the DLC.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Red Bones posted:

I wonder if hipsters were in vogue at the start of this game's development, because leaning so heavy into the hipster stuff for your main cast in 2017 (or whenever this game is going to be released) feels very weird and dated.

Well, looks like that video was posted in April of last year, so assuming it was in development for some time before that I'd assume they started dead in the middle of that poo poo being a thing.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

FirstAidKite posted:

I love the third from the left. If I ever get a chance to play etrian odyssey V, there is no way I'm not choosing that art.

Double Amputee Fist Fighter, looks like an interesting class to play.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

FirstAidKite posted:

Wtf, King Knight isn't the King...

well duh

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

FirstAidKite posted:

I know some families over here do gift giving stuff but for now I'm just relaxing with my fiancee's friend's family for their easter stuff. We're watching Moana at the moment. I've never seen it before but I'm not really paying it too much attention to be honest, was just gonna sit here like a shitlord browsing the forums lol

Moana owns pretty hard.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

In Training posted:

Ashley Riot is a really good video game protagonist name

It sounds like exactly the kind of name you would expect in a JRPG character.

What was with male JRPG protagonists named Ashley around that time anyway? Aside from Vagrant Story I know there was an Ashley in Wild Arms 2 and at least one other.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

There's pretty much no reason to not have an xbone controller for PC gaming ever since they started making the ones with Bluetooth.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I don't think any of the computers in this house have Bluetooth.

This is the second time I've seen someone say this recently, and it's weird to me because my most recent desktop is like 4-5 years old and has it onboard, and every laptop I've had going back to a few years before that has as well. I just assumed that they were just ubiquitous now, especially considering like every non-PC consumer electronic seems to have it too.

tap my mountain posted:

Yeah and they drop inputs from anything more than a foot away

I bought one for my PC that didn't have one for like $5 off amazon and it's worked like a champ v:confused:v

raditts fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 17, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Man, Steamworld Heist is a pretty good and fun game, if a bit easy when you don't have to deal with missions with a bullshit countdown timer, and I like how hats exist solely so they can be shot off wild west style, and most of the music is good but then you get randomly assaulted in the ears with shitass Steam Powered Giraffe and it just ruins the whole thing for a little bit.

FirstAidKite posted:

My fiancee was telling me about this show called bee and puppycat

I don't know what this is but this is as far as I needed to read to know I was going to instantly hate everything that followed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Quest For Glory II posted:

we bare bears is a cute show i recommend it

It's cute and it's not bad, but it's pretty boring imo, at least from the first season or so of episodes I watched, which CN aired 50 billion times a day until I never wanted to watch the show again. I don't know if it's changed since then but it was basically "cartoon about millennial teenagers, but they look like bears and they live in a tree" and didn't really aspire to a lot more than that. Which I guess is okay if that's the kind of thing that entertains you, but I've felt no desire to ever go back to it and give it another try.

• Locked thread