Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jay Rust posted:

The world's gone crazy.

Lately I've noticed people defending Ocarina of Time's water temple. In this post-fact world we live in, what's considered good and what isn't has become arbitrary.

Water temple is certainly hard and a bit confusing for kids, but I wouldn't call it bad by any means. Its very creative and interesting, its non-linear, and especially in the 3DS remake they add a few little things that make it much harder to get confused.

You compare that to even several other zelda dungeons and its way better. Like, consider jabu jabu in oracle of ages. Its pretty much exactly the water temple from OOT except in 2D which makes it 10x harder to understand.

People like you are why zelda dungeons hold your hand now like in wind waker! :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

tap my mountain posted:

IIRC the master quest version of the water temple was good, but I don't remember for sure. I know the MQ version of Jabu Jabu was great.

All I remember are Cows randomly throughout Jabu Jabu being used as switches :psyduck:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

How 'bout those boss fights? :shepface:

For all the lovely controls, bad feedback, dumb level design, and the fact that the game manages to make shooting your gun lovely, the worst sin is that the switch to blocky 3D graphics completely loses all of Doug Tennapel's artistic touch, which were a huge part of why the original games were so unique.

I really love Doug's art but he's kinda a terrible human being, which sucks :(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah I was gonna say, the elevator definitely took me a few tries.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I said come in! posted:

What happened with Ghost Recon Wild Lands? That seemed to have released to absolutely zero fanfare and no one bought it?

Some people bought it. Its basically MGS5 with drop-in drop-out co-op but no story at all. (Not that MGS5's story was great anyways) Seems pretty good if you want a co-op shooter, but I just bought a bunch of games so I'll probably wait for it to come down in price.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

SO I made a dumb decision and bought a SNES. I never had one as a kid so I was wondering what I should get for it. I did pick up Final Fantasy 3 and would like to find more stuff like that.

Get one of those everdrive thingies and load it up with all the games that would otherwise cost you a fortune.

I mean I have a SNES collection and its great but its very much :retrogames:

Earthbound, Mega Man X 1/2/3, TMNT 4, Mickey's Magical Quest, Chrono Trigger, FF3/6, Super Mario World 1&2, Zelda LTTP, etc.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

The ship battles are cool, but it's still a bad assassin's creed game. The only reason why it was so well received was because it came out on the PS4 before it had anything good.

The reason why it was received so well was because of the sea shanties.

Sea Shanty Simulator was okay.

Lizard Wizard posted:

How about let's post our favorite gaming-adjacent merch that we own?

I bought this friend last year on a whim. Never been big on plushies, but it's really well made and I find myself squeezing it quite a lot.

It's good.

This guy is my fav

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

same. mine sits on top of my tv and has a little plastic headcrab on his head.

Haha, mine is wearing the plush headcrab-hat. Great minds buy similar poo poo I guess :cheeky:

I also have a Left4Dead boomer that I got on sale :) He's the size of a loving basketball.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Desperate Character posted:

probably the kick-started dark souls board game which is coming out soon :v:

I got it mostly just for the models because you got a bunch of the best npc ones if you pre-ordered

Yeah I think the game looks dumb but I regret not backing it just for all the figures. They'd be great for D&D or whatever.

Hopefully I can get them on ebay for pretty cheap or they sell all the bonus models for something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

Molyneux on his new game: The only thing I think is wise to tell you is that it's very different. One of the things I am proud of is the number of different genres that I've attempted. At the moment, it's hard to peg what genre Legacy falls into.

On No Man's Sky: I worked with his wife on all three of the Fable games, incredibly closely. I went to see him. I really felt for him. People don't realize, for me and for him, it was like an ice-cold dagger in the heart. Every game that I work on, I put so much of my heart into it. And always, it's never quite what it should be. If you approach it without knowing anything about it, it's an incredible experience – flying from a planet, no loading, no nothing, into space and then realizing that all those little dots you're seeing, you can visit. Bloody hell, that's pretty incredible, isn't it? I'm not sure if this analogy works, but it's a little bit like how the Lord of the Rings films never worked for me. They were incredibly good, but that world was so defined in my mind by reading the book. In a way, No Man's Sky was the same.

mutata posted:

That Molyneux interview was about the least exciting or alarming thing I could think of. In fact, compared to the past he seemed downright subdued. Y'all are barking at shadows.

Yeah, I was reading this article getting my pitchforks out because I love to hate on Molyneux for his complete bullshit, but... I dunno, it sounds like he actually loving learned something:

quote:

What are you up to these days?
I've defined myself as a coder again. The last time I did real coding was when I was working on a game called Black & White. I thought, "I'm going to go back and do that again, learn it all over again, because that would be the most efficient way for me to get my idea across."

So I started coding. When you're in your 50s, it's rather like being on a couch for 20 years and getting up and entering the London marathon. It's not a pretty sight at the start. But now I feel so much more empowered than I have for years. I've been working on this game called Legacy, and I can – rather like the first game I really did, which was called Populous – just try an idea and see if it works. I was in the hotel this morning, I was having breakfast, I was coding Legacy, and I had an idea. Within an hour, I was actually playing with the thing.

What else can you tell me about Legacy?
I think it would be a mistake to talk about it.

I think one of the biggest mistakes he made with Fable and Godus was he was just the ideas guy, so divorced from the programming that he just promised the world and his poor engineers had to try to make his dreams a reality. The guy getting back into programming is like the best thing that could happen to him, it'll force him to realize what is and isn't feasible before he starts making promises and coming up with lofty ideals.

And he actually doesn't want to talk about his new game yet? Like, holy poo poo, he FINALLY learned!

E: Oh wait though

quote:

Did Bryan Henderson, the player who was supposed to become the "god of gods" in Godus for finding the inside of the Curiosity cube, ever get his prize?
That was a real problem. The only thing to say is, Yes. You'll remember that Godus is a free-to-play game. And while 33,000 people are playing the game, 33,000 people aren't spending money on the game. So in terms of pure profit, actually Godus has not quite even broken even. We got Kickstarter money of about $1 million. After you're done with the pledging and all that stuff, that works out to about $400,000. But Godus cost about five times that to make. We really struggled, at times, to finish Godus. I'd love to pay Bryan money. It would be insane to do it just for a publicity stunt, because that's what it would be.

Yeah that's horseshit Peter. That's horseshit. It was a publicity stunt, you already pulled it, and then you didn't follow through. "oh but we didn't actually profit" oh shut up.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 2, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

He's said this exact same thing every single time

He's never said "it would be a mistake to talk about it" and he's never said "I'm doing programming again" so no, he has not.

What he always says the same every time was "that last game was meh, sorry about that, but guys, the next game! the next game is gonna be amazing!" and then repeat forever.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

Do we have a thread for Retro gaming anywhere?

Its gotta be one of the oldest and most active threads in the entire games sub :)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

What is this from? :ohdear:

Because its basically the same idea as the game I'm fiddling around on

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Wamdoodle posted:

About that Godus thing: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-02-11-the-god-who-peter-molyneux-forgot

I don't have a hate boner for Molyneux like others might but it's hard to get excited about anything he might come up with after stuff like this.

He should really just cut that kid a check for like one grand out of his own pocket. Not like all his money, but he owes that kid (Now adult) a decent chunk of change after all those promises. That's like the least he could do. "Sorry kid, Godus bombed, here's some cash at least."

Its like that one episode of The Office where Michael Scott promises to pay for some kids' tuition, and then can't afford it years later.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

bloodychill posted:

Oh someone made it as a joke years ago. Your game concept of doing drugs and making the game weird is probably safe. Except I think Mario actually did it in Yoshi's Story.

Yeah the yoshi's island level "touch fuzzy get dizzy" is the inspiration for what I'm doing.

Jay Rust posted:

Yeah, Yoshi's Island. "Touch Fuzzy Get Woozy" or whatever the level was called.

No, that image is not from yoshi's island. I was wondering if somebody else had made a game like that with mario assets, but it seems like it was just a joke or a quick demo.

Not that I'm trying to sell this or anything, its just a solo thing for fun. But I'd feel dumb if someone else was working on exactly that idea right now.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 3, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

RickDaedalus posted:

First time I've seen a game dubbed in Spanish. The dub replaces a few words so it isn't 100% accurate, if anyone is curious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt8JABbwoHQ&t=43s

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

Is the Pokeworld exclusively vegetarian? Even down to the Pokemon themselves? There are some mon like Golbat and Weepingbell (Gen 1 4 lyfe) that seem designed to eat prey (not to mention the larger Pokemon that would presumably have a much larger caloric requirement) but I can't recall any instance of a Pokemon researcher feeding Ratatas or Caterpees to larger captive mons, or other more benign references to meat in the Pokeworld. Is it salads all the way down? Inquiring minds want to know.

Pokemon feed on each other but they don't depict it in the cartoons because its awkward and makes you realize the whole thing is pretty brutal and basically dogfighting for children.

So they shy away from all that as much as they can, creating a weird double standard.

Lurdiak posted:

There's a bunch of pokemon that specifically predate on others and some even gank humans. It's all in the pokedex.

Now I'm pretty sure none of that happens in the anime but that's always been a different bag.

Yep

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

precision posted:

Why is everyone mad about the trans character in Andromeda but not the one in Zelda? Is this accurate?

Because that sounds a lot worse than what Bioware did :psyduck:

How is that worse? Its a trans woman, not a trans man. You have to use the appropriate gender to progress, not the wrong one. Using the wrong one shuts you down. I think you have this backwards?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

precision posted:

The part that sounds bad is that you "have to" compliment her.

... you're weird.

I mean Zelda's hardly the most progressive and there are issues with it, but its definitely less "wrong" than Andromeda.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If you really care, here's an analysis by a trans woman.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/21/15004956/zelda-mass-effect-horizon-zero-dawn-trans-characters

precision posted:

That's at best clumsy, at worst cringeworthy.

Its basic dumb RPG conversation man, what the gently caress do you want? Its a binary choice, you're just affirming your past entry once again, because that's how Zelda goes sometimes, and because she's playing coy. Your other option is "you're a man!" so its just once again continuing to use the right response.

Your overreaction to this is way more cringeworthy than the game is.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

bloodychill posted:

It's a different kind of wrong.They're both wrong. In Andromeda, it just dumps the dialog on you in an unnatural way and is like the character wearing a trans nametag, which is dumb. In Zelda, it's playing up appearance and beauty for passing and furthering the plot in a very anachronistic way. I'm not sure what precision's take on it was but that's my take.

It goes both ways. Like I linked, the polygon article actually breaks it down pretty well:

quote:

Let’s get a few things out the way. Yes, this woman has a beard under her veil. Link finding this out when a stray gust of wind reveals is played as a punchline. Link reacts in shock. It reeks of ‘90s trans-reveal comedy punchlines.

Still, let’s talk about some positives. The fact she has a beard hasn’t been a barrier to her comfortably existing within the walls of the all-female city. The Gerudo in the store below don’t tell you where to find “the man who snuck into Gerudo Town” but instead point you towards the “Hylian Vai (woman)” who may fit the description. This shows a level of acknowledgement, but respect, for her female identity regardless of the character having a beard.

Also of note, numerous people within the city walls acknowledge that Link is designated male at birth, but none of them report Link or get them kicked out for this discovery.

The spa in town recognizes your body as traditionally masculine, or non-typically feminine. Their responses to this information are to compliment your muscular frame as advantageous and rare within your race, or to assume it’s a product of battle-worn circumstance. They comment on your battle scars, confirmed elsewhere in the game to only be visible when Link is undressed, but not on your lack of breasts. They do not use this information to invalidate your presented gender.

So its so-so. I guess arguing about whether its "better" or "worse" than another awkward mistake is just down to personal opinion, but I think Andromeda is more directly cringey by far.

Saying she's beautiful doesn't have to mean that you're conflating passing with being attractive. It can also be the direct opposite, affirming that beauty is inward and not based on outward appearance, since the character isn't actually passing and you have to say she's beautiful anyways. Its not exactly black and white, but it is clumsy I agree.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

it is frustrating to not have great trans representation in video games but even the decent examples like in technobabylon still have this awkward infodump aspect to it. but that game doesn't have the problem that most attempts have, which is, the characters' personality is always "they're trans" and that's it

one way of that not being a problem is if they're not simply relegated to an NPC and as a result have to be actually carefully crafted as a character. i mean that still takes effort and consultancy and learning of course, but no matter what the context, NPC #425 is not going to get the attention or love that Main Character #2 gets

Yeah, but the problem is lots of people are still really uncomfortable or straight up antagonistic towards transpeople, so they'll be relegated to NPCs for awhile :(

But there's a strong argument that having lots of gay characters on TV helped get the states to come around overall to gay rights, it lets people become more comfortable with things they're uncomfortable with from the safety of their own couch. And if you include it in some media (show, film, game) that the person likes, it can help influence their perspective of those minorities.

Jay Rust posted:

Maybe a bunch of NPCs in games are transgender or transsexual, they just don't mention it because it doesn't matter, right now they just manage the item shop

The Dumbledore approach?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

90's Good Bad or Bad Bad?

Like where does it fall on the Jaffe scale?

Its boring. That's how bad.

Lurdiak posted:

Does Will and Grace count as a step forward or a step back?

Its tough, they may be stereotypes for but for its time it was progressive and was explicitly one of the shows I saw cited as an example of getting the public more comfortable with gay rights.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

codenameFANGIO posted:

I played Parappa The Rapper Remastered and that poo poo is beatable in under an hour. Also the plot is for literal babies and Parappa's sad sack clown father is amazing. I am going to Platinum it I think.

Did you check the toilets on the left?

Did you check the toilets on the right?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

I don't "get" cats, they seem mean. Never had one though, I come from a pro-dog family

The internet loves to hate, and lots of people just don't "get" cats and end up rubbing them the wrong way, pissing them off.

But if you're chill to cats, cats are super chill bros.

I love cats and dogs both. :3:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

VideoGames posted:

Post ur gaming pets itt

Cat chat

Vincent, smartest cat I've ever had. He sits on command. His ear is clipped and he has Lupus.

Pirate Captain Jack, the one eye-d cat. He also has FIV and diabetes. But he's a trooper and doesn't let anything stop him.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Serf posted:

That's my cat Alley during one of the rare moments when she jumps up onto my desk. Normally she prefers to be outside hunting or whatever. I'll get a shot of my other cat when I get home.

Your cat's got purdy eyes :3:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

They should do a kickstarter to make a sequel / remaster of THAT game. Comix zone was so unique.

actually don't they'd just ruin it

Grapplejack posted:

I loved the aesthetic that comix zone went for, it was great.

Literally smashing your way from panel to panel. There's nothing else quite like it. (Viewtiful Joe I guess?)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

KingSlime posted:

why is that cat not instinctually trying to rip that rodent's head out of its spine?

I thought cats did that but I could have been grossly misinformed (I had a rabbit who people advised me to keep the hell away from stray cats)

Different cats are different man. I had a cat that used to kill multiple birds in a single day, and drag them into the house to gift us. We had to put a bell on her collar to give the birds a fighting chance warning to get the gently caress out of dodge before they got murdered.

Meanwhile other cats: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs_Lr7pKLBQ

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of the difference between pets and feral animals.

Nah plenty of pet cats will eat all the vermin they can get their hands on. (Hell, most won't even eat them, just continually hunt and toy with them until they die from injuries :v:)

Bunnies are hard to say, the cat wouldn't hunt the bunny probably because of size, but cats beat the poo poo out of other cats so I assume if the cat gets afraid of the bunny he can gently caress him up pretty good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

holy poo poo hitman is so good

Its great but some levels are vastly more fun than others.

If you haven't done them, the "Elusive Targets" almost feel like the real game, as pretentious as that sounds. The normal missions are almost like, warmup, and then the elusive targets are the real deal where you're roleplaying a hitman trying to kill somebody and you can't gently caress up, but you've studied the area to every last detail and you mapped out a fool-proof plan.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Also my new favorite way to play Hitman is the horror-style runs in Bangkok where you get a hatchet or other edged weapon and murder your way through the hotel. Really really fun after painstakingly sneaking my way through a floor so I can nail a target! :D

Here's my favorite way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQDw1hlU99E&t=77s

spaghetti spaghetti spaghetti spaghetti

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Brack Papper

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

A mystery box where you get a random selection of old nes/snes/sega cartridges might be cool

This month's theme: Madden

Next month's theme: Hockey

tap my mountain posted:

Oh cool sports games again

gently caress beaten.

Dr Cheeto posted:

LEGO blind boxes would own bones and I'm sorry they don't exist

Now THIS should be a thing.

You could even have two versions; one with and one without the instructions :evilbuddy:

Sakurazuka posted:

I thought Eye of the Beholder was super rare but I might be thinking of SNES Dungeon Master instead.

Nah Eye is a $5 game, carts are everywhere.

I do think there was some D&D game that was rare though... can't remember.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 8, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Shindragon posted:

I mean honestly when was the last time we actually had a Castlevania.

Dark Souls?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Dawn of War III is also coming out on the 25th. But after seeing that it is heavily inspired by MOBAs my expectations aren't that high

Every trailer for DoW 3 looks like a mobile game to me. Something about it is just hideously ugly, which is weird because DoW 2 was really pretty and very detailed.

Something about how the units move around and how empty the map is, it feels like a mobile iOS game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DoubleDonut posted:

My parents haven't played games since the NES and I was hoping to give them a way to play the games they enjoyed that would work on modern TVs and boot up more than once every 20 tries

Buy a raspberry Pi and put emulators on it?

I have an actual NES and SNES, but your gramps ain't gonna know the difference.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Happy High Holiday :350:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXzg0D-cKds

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

literally has never happened to me

Wait you actually played Sniper Ghost Warrior? Jesus Christ Why?

CJacobs posted:

Isn't Sniper Ghost Warrior just the Great Value brand Sniper Elite

YES. I'm convinced Sniper Ghost Warrior sells only because people get the name confused with Sniper Elite. Like, its a game called Sniper, so it must be a good FPS right?

Sniper Ghost Warrior 1 & 2 were hilariously unbelievably terribad. Its a game that exists as a con to get people's grandmas to buy it for them on accident.

Nasgate posted:

Honestly at this point, having never played either I could not tell you the difference other than one loves slowmo xray shots and I think the other is made by slavs?

They look to have almost the same gameplay and graphical style.

Sniper Ghost Warrior is as linear and scripted as FPS get, "go here, shoot this guy, go here, shoot that guy" and there's no real sniping from long ranges. Its so stupid.

Sniper Elite 1 was a great sandbox sniper game with slowmo. Sniper Elite 2 and 3 have better graphics but the levels are much more linear. Still, they're proper games with actual stuff you can do and fun to be had, unlike Ghost Warrior which suuuuucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The best sniping game I ever played is The Hunter, if you can get over sniping deer instead of badguys:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/253710/theHunter/

It has a very awkward pay2play transaction scheme, but its really worth it. Huuuuuge open world where you really have to sneak up on your targets and shoot them from far away, and really worry about making your shots count, because Deer are skittish as gently caress and if they so much as smell you they're just going to bolt running and you'll never catch them.

Its a game that really really tests your patience, but when you spend 40 minutes tracking a huge buck and you're sitting at the top of a hill waiting because you know he's about to come down this way, and then he walks right into the clearing you were aiming at, and you hold your breath and land the one perfect shot... its massively satisfying.

• Locked thread