Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

I want to get this game for my wife simply because she loves the animation, but she's not usually into action platformer games, and I hear this one can be pretty challenging.

The crit path wasn't too bad, I feel, but there were several optional bosses/zones that thoroughly owned me. If your wife wants to get the ~*good ending*~, she'd probably have to work for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

guppy posted:

Beat the game this morning. I'd have liked to do the good ending, but I don't want to deal with the nightmare bosses. Can you get to 1800+ Essence without it?

You can skip one of them and still meet the essence requirement. Possibly two, if you're very thorough otherwise? You definitely need to kill at least one.

Lakbay posted:

I keep hearing about this game, is it PC only?

There's a Switch port coming out at some point, but for now it's PC only, yeah.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Darth Nat posted:

The only thing I don't like about this game is that it feels really stingy with the benches at times. I'm sure it's taking that inspiration from Dark Souls, but it seems really unnecessary in this game. The worst so far was the bench before the Mantis Lords that doesn't unlock until after you beat them and no longer need it.

I'm not sure I agree. One of my favourite things about the game is the way it makes you feel genuinely lost at times, and I think having lots of savepoints in convenient locations would undermine that feeling. Having to remember the path back to the shade definitely contributed to the sense of pressure I felt when navigating an unfamiliar area without a map.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Obligatum VII posted:

I'm nearing the endgame now, and I just want to say how much I love this game's music. Also that I wish I was better at fighting will wall grabbing The third arena fight is kicking my rear end at the part where it forces you to wall grab to avoid the ground spikes

Charge Slash is extremely useful and will kill the small fliers in one hit if you've fully upgraded the nail. Do use Nailmaster's Glory if you aren't already.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Obligatum VII posted:

Just found that actually, seems super useful. Can't say I expected to get it where I did though.

The location of the Nailsage's hideout is actually foreshadowed pretty cleverly. For one thing, Sly can immediately tell when you've learned a new Nail Art, just by looking at your stance.

Flubby posted:

Edit: Actually forget the praise I'm on the true last boss. gently caress this game. Maybe worst game ever made.

Don't give up, skeleton!

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Augus posted:

Got the true ending! 93% in 27 hours. The optional area and final boss were quite tough, but not as nightmarish as people in this thread seemed to be suggesting. The only thing in the game that I felt was ridiculously hard was the third arena challenge, I walked away from that after dying many times to the section where they force you to do like a dozen waves without any platforms to stand on.

So, was there a parry mechanic that the game never explained? I noticed that on some bosses, like Hornet, my character would hit them and cause a louder sound to play, with a slowdown for emphasis, and then the boss would be stunned. I think it was happening because I hit them preciselynright before they did an attack?

This game was extremely good, probably my favorites "Souls-like" game so far. It reminds me a lot of Symphony of the Night in how big and imposing it was with so many directions to go in, but unlike Symphony of the Night this game also has really good room/level design! It's crazy the amount of content that was put in this game that is completely missable. The music an atmosphere was on point, the combat and really just the movement on its own was incredibly fun, it was all great stuff.

Some little nagging complaints I have:
-Spikes. Spikes have this really weird behavior where they seem to suck you into their hitboxes when you get too close. The game freezes for a moment when you take damage, but for some reason it seems to "prepare" for when it seems you're about to take damage, and start the freezing effect early? It's really weird but there were plenty of times where was clearly above the spikes but then my character froze and apparently teleported into them. It got pretty irritating after a while.
-Speaking of which, this game has too many mechanics where the game freezes for a moment for emphasis, which can mess up the flow of combat pretty easy. Getting hit once tends to snowball very easily because of this fact, especially in the Colisseum.
-Stagway placements aren't great, there's a lot of running back and forth that needs to be done for prime real estate locations that you'll be visiting several times, like the blacksmith and most of the lower parts of the map. I had to drop down that same path down from the City to the Basin so many drat times...
-Apparently there's an achievement for getting 100% in the permadeath mode, and the Coliseum is included in 100%? Jesus loving Christ.

That's all, really. This game turned out to be a real gem, it was a nice surprise. Really should be getting a lot more attention than it is.

I don't think the boss stun thing is any kind of parry. It's probably more like running the boss's poise down to zero, if we're using Dark Souls analogies.

There is actually a kind of parry mechanic in the game, though. If you attack into an enemy swing with the right timing, the strikes cancel out. I found it pretty useful when dealing with mantises, and to sneak in an extra pogo stomp against the Lost Kin (you can bounce off his wild overhead swings to avoid damage).

As I said before, Nailmaster's Glory is extremely useful in the platform-less segment of the trial of fools.

One Hundred Monkeys fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Apr 30, 2017

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I didn't even realize there was a down and upslash until I read this. Thanks.

Enjoying this game a lot other than my personal gripes with Metroidvanias, but it feels like it really took the kid gloves off rather suddenly. Was progressing fairly comfortably up until I hit Soul Sanctum and then I died a ton. Beat that, and now I'm dying a ton in Crystal Caves instead. I wanna just spend all this geo but I can't even find a stagecoach to leave this blasted place. What is it with crystal levels in video games always being annoying?

I'm guessing you've progressed through the caves by now, but here's a pro tip for any other goon that might be reading: you can flip the unstable platforms back to a safe configuration by pogo bouncing on them.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Is Failed Champion supposed to be absurdly hard or am I just even worse than I thought?

Its the only boss I've run into where I have no clue how to even go about dodging all the stuff it throws at you.

When he runs towards you, that means he's going to do a jump attack. Getting some distance makes it easier to predict his next move.

If he ends up very close to the wall, with you stuck in between, he'll back up a little bit so you won't get hit with unavoidable damage. Still, he's at his most dangerous when he's got you cornered, so try not to let him put you there.

He will block any debris falling on top of him, so you can use his body as cover when you pass under a jump attack.

You know this already, in all likelihood, but you can deflect the falling rocks with a nail swing. Useful if you don't have space to dodge them.

Losing to the Champion doesn't count as a death, so the normal drawback of Fragile Strength doesn't apply here.

If you absolutely can't beat him, come back later after you've collected a bunch of powerups. I'm guessing your nail isn't heavily upgraded yet?

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010
Yes.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

SinineSiil posted:

Oh god no! Noooo!

Do you have the crystal dash? If you do, you should be able to access an upgrade in the Basin that'll make it easier to climb the elevator shaft.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010
It's on the lower left side of the basin, specifically.

Go to the bench pin and keep heading left.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

I've been thinking about possible challenge run configurations:
Minimal hunter's journal completion
No light item
No sword upgrades
No Grubs

Don't you need the lantern to access the spider village? Maybe I'm misremembering.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

In other news

1. I've been finding odd things to use the dream nail on and grabbing screenshots, clarifying some of the context of the Big Bad and the King.
2. I saw someone in a speedrun...escape during the False Knight fight. is it possible to break out of the room after the first "round"?

Some of the routes I'm identifying are making me curious about a minimum kills run. I'm realizing a remarkable amount of stuff is obtainable/reachable without any killing.

Yeah, there's a crack in the western wall that you can bust through once you finish the first phase of the fight. You won't be able to enter the City of Tears through the main gates if you skip him, though, since you won't have the city crest.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010
The devs seem to like little secrets like that in general, I really. I had no idea you could drop a chandelier on the watcher knights until I watched the speedrun.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

ilmucche posted:

That's amazing.

In spoilery boss stuff I beat four bosses today. Two really stuck out for me: flukewarm, which is an awesome name and made the otherwise mediocre royal sewers pretty cool, and mantis lords, who had a really cool song and were a fun fight. deepnest seems like it's going to be reeeeeeally hard.

Did you fight the second sewer boss? If so, what did you think of him?

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

ilmucche posted:

What in the world is shadow dodge?

It's a cloak upgrade that makes you invulnerable while dashing. You can find it in ancient basin, but only after collecting a different item in kingdom's edge.

Some more notes for watcher knights:

-Pogo bouncing can be risky, since their spin jump comes out quickly. Your best opportunity for pogo bouncing is when they're doing their sword combos. Also, do keep in mind you can pogo off them when they're spinning. It won't deal damage, but can be used to avoid a hit if you don't have enough airtime to jump over a charge.

-Descending Dark is super legit against them (and lots of other enemies). It hits like a rocket-powered truck and gives lots of invulnerability besides.

-There's a secret room just before the boss arena, behind a breakable ceiling (or wall? I don't quite remember). There's a chain inside you can cut to drop a chandelier on one of the knights, so there's one less to fight.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

ilmucche posted:

I've gotten the king's mark or brand and I figured it'd open up the palace grounds in the ancient basin but haven't had any luck with that. Other than a little bit near the top of the map I've explored everything I think I can get to.

At the very bottom of the part of the basin you can currently access, there's a sealed door. You can use the brand to open it. Have fun :unsmigghh:

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

ilmucche posted:

The first phase of soul tyrant takes forever, is there any recommendation on when is best to hit him? I can get an attack in when he runs across the ground and occasionally when he teleports in front of me to shoot a ball and that's it. I'm on a nail level 3 and have the fragile strength charm to try and speed things up, but it still takes ages.

You should be able to hit him fairly consistently when he's teleporting around and shooting projectiles. The trick is to stay low to the ground - if you ground dash towards him immediately after a teleport, his shot will pass above you and then hit the ground when it tries to course correct. That way, you'll be able to close the distance quickly and get rid of his shots at the same time. Sometimes he'll teleport far enough away that you can't reach him before his next jump, but you should be able to catch him at least once or twice over the course of a teleport chain.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Dancer posted:

Of note: I feel like the shadow dash is particularly helpful in this fight because it allows you to be just that little bit extra reckless rushing in to get the next hit.

Eh. If you do it right, you should never be in danger of getting hit by his basic projectiles. I guess the shadow cloak would make it easier to deal with his ground slam and spinning orb attack, tho.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Nevvy Z posted:

Do I need to chase that weird spider lady all the way back to the dreamer or something to 100%? I only talked to her once.

If you're talking about the Midwife, then no, you don't need to do anything at all with her.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

WhiteHowler posted:

I'm in Crystal Peak now, and I only have four or five crests available. Are they well-hidden, or back-loaded, or did I miss something really obvious?

You get like five charms from the charm merchant alone, so it kinda sounds like you missed her. She's in forgotten crossroads

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So is this better for Switch or Steam? I had a friend tell me it scratched the exploration itch started by Breath of the Wild and that's as good as any selling point I've ever heard.

It's not out for Switch and we don't have a release date either, so for now it's PC or bust. (The exploration is real good.)

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

OzFactor posted:

So, I really, really like this game several hours in, and although I am trying to appreciate getting super lost all the time and just enjoy the experience... if I could make a suggestion to improve the game, I'd just like there to be some way to know if there's a bench nearby. Oh and I would like an entire campaign around the Dung Defender. It looked like he just ran away when I beat him, please tell me I'm going to see him again.

I felt the devs did a pretty good job pointing the way to new benches with signposts, for the most part. Maybe that's just selective memory on my part, idk. (You know what the bench signs look like by this point, I hope?)

As for the Defender, he's not going to play a big part in the plot or anything, but yeah, there's more content associated with him.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010
Yeah, definitely check the map store first thing. Cornifer's got (at least) two different hiding places inside the Deepnest, so I guess it's possible he's still hiding out in a part of it you haven't explored - if Iselda won't sell you anything, try dropping into the nest from the Fungal Wastes and explore the rooms close to that area transition.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

skasion posted:

Having fought Troupe Master Grimm once, is there any reason in particular to keep collecting flames? Am I going to have to fight him again but harder?

ye. the bump in difficulty is significant enough I think it's worth seeing.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

You probably found her after getting enough nail upgrades to one shot the flukefeys. Flukemarm is a terrible boss because either a) you can't one shot her minions and she's a slog or b) you can one shot them and she's a joke. There's no middle ground where she's a fun well designed challenge.

I killed her with a level 2 nail the first time around, and had fun working out a strat to keep the minions at bay with well-timed Howling Wraiths :kiddo:

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I just completed White Palace.

That... was not fun.

I take it you didn't find the entrance to the Path of Pain :unsmigghh:

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

Is there a trick to fighting the Flukemarm? I only have the first nail upgrade, but the Mantis Lords did not give me as much trouble. The only thing I can think of is to spam the soul shot and attack. Maybe use the Fragile Strength charm too, but that is all just pure DPS burning, and it feels like it SHOULD be a simple fight, which makes me think I am missing something.

As an aside, gently caress the bugs in the Deepnest.

You can make up for a low nail level by using Howling Wraiths. If a minion is coming at you from above, you can hinder it a little by standing under a platform - it'll go straight at you, deflect of the platform and path around. This'll let you bunch them up so you can hit more than one enemy with a single cast.

It kinda sounds like you haven't found Wraiths either though, in which case you probably want to go elsewhere and come back after you've collected some more upgrades.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

OzFactor posted:

How are you supposed to know to do that? I'm genuinely asking, I don't remember. I mean, I did it, I just don't know what sent me there.

the kingsoul "opens the way to a birthplace"

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

redreader posted:

I played this game and just came back to it but am not sure where to start... uh I have:
howling cliffs, dirtmouth
greenpath, forgotten crossroads
fungal wastes.

I'm not sure what to do next.

it's easier for other posters to give directions if you list your collected upgrades rather than levels you've visited, fyi.

if you've been to the cliffs you must already have collected the mantis claw (wall jump), so the obvious next place to go for you would be the city of tears. you can access the city from the fungal wastes. alternatively, you could leave the wastes in the opposite direction and head into deepnest. if you can afford the lantern, you could check out crystal peak via the crossroads.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Sock The Great posted:

I'm still getting roughed up by the Soul Master. So far I've upgraded my nail once and I still only have 5 HP. M I getting ahead of myself (backtrack and upgrade more) or on the right path.

that should be fine for soul master. which attacks in particular are you having trouble dodging?

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

eonwe posted:

im going to buy this game for Switch tonight

I passed it up on PC because I didn't have a good controller at the time

any good hints? I heard there is some place called 'Deep' something that I should probably wait on till I upgrade

you can aim your sword downwards if you attack in midair. hitting enemies or certain objects with a downward swing makes you bounce up a little. you can use this to get more air time when jumping, or chain attacks together to pogo bounce for extended periods of time. some people figure this out instantly on their own; others don't and get stuck for a while when the game eventually requires you to bounce off things. you may want to give pogoing a try early on because it's often useful & mandatory to proceed in some places

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Actually I could use a rec. I'm feeling a little undecided on where to go next and I also wouldn't mind getting that nail upgrade. So far I did the first area and green path. Last thing of note I did was fight hornet so I have the dash. Went to all the areas that were blocked via dash that could think of and all of them are either blocked by a second ability I need or seem a little tough. The only place iirc that I didn't get blocked off was the mines, but everything took forever to kill there so I was wondering if it's better to upgrade first and how I might go about doing that.

sounds like you want to hit up the fungal wastes next. easiest way to get there is through the forgotten crossroads, lower left side of the map (there's a room with a ledge you need the airdash to reach).

you've still got a bit to go before you can upgrade the nail. the swordsmith npc is in the city of tears. you can access the city from the fungal wastes, but only after you collect one more major platforming upgrade

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

I was going to go sell some of my seals in the city of tears and the path is closed now. I guess that statue didn't open a permanent path?

nope, the main gates will remain closed. use the stagways (or whichever route you used to leave the city, if you did so without opening a stag station)

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

Having a lot of fun with this on the Switch. I'm having trouble with Hornet though. I'm not great at actiony games but got past the first two bosses without too many issues.

I can't seem to get a handle on her tells, and she's really quick.

when on the ground, hornet has got three moves: a charge, a weapon throw that boomerangs back to her and a weird string-thwirling attack that hits all around her. each of them has a different visual cue (she stands upright and holds her spear like a javelin when she's about to throw it, for example). she also shouts whenever she's readying an attack.

her jumps come out quicker, as i'm sure you've already noticed, but she always stays airborne a little while before committing to an attack, so the fast jumps are only a problem if she physically bumps into you on her way up. you shouldn't be spending a lot of time directly above her when she's not stuck in a grounded attack animation, is what i'm trying to say here.

when in the air, hornet can either transition into a lunging dive attack or an aerial version of her string thwirl. in the former case, she'll suddenly stop in midair before shooting off directly towards you. in the latter, she'll complete most of her jump and attack towards the end of her jump arc. you'll want to stay a little distance away from her so you can react, but be careful if you've got your back against a wall; she might jump directly in front of you and thwirl, leaving you with no room to dodge. if you're in a corner and see her jumping towards you in an arc, consider walking under her while she's airborne.

note that hornet's ground attacks have limited horizontal reach, while her aerial ones can hit you from anywhere in the room. this means you can back up and sneak in a heal as long as she stays grounded, but you gotta watch out for her jumps if you try.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010
there are two possible routes into the basin

1) go into deepnest, collect the tram pass (upper side of the map) and use the deepnest tram station (lower right side). the basin is the next stop

2) go to the resting grounds and use the ground slam powerup to smash open a cracked coffin lid. this will let you take a lift into the right side of the city of tears, which is inaccessible if you enter the city through the main gates. at ground level, there's a broken lift shaft you can climb down that eventually leads to the basin

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010
big white palace & path of pain fan here

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Cool. Am I able to go there before I have ground pound? I'm basically just trying to avoid Soul Master for now and I can't figure anywhere else out I can go for the life of me. I feel like I've explored every available option that only requires wall jump and dash (which is all I have) but that can't be right. I've seen people fighting that boss with way more upgrades than I have.

you can take the deepnest route into the basin without acquiring the ground pound, yes. no promises it'll be easier than fighting soul master, though, and keep in mind there are one-way drops in deepnest. if you go far enough in you might have to climb back up by a different route, or else accept being stuck for the long haul. I guess what I'm saying is the cure might be worse than the disease, in your case

dash and walljump gets you into the howling cliffs, if you haven't been there already.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

skasion posted:

Can’t you also get into the Basin through the sewers?

I didn't think of it at the time, but you're right. you can crystal dash through the spike pit and cancel it halfway through to drop into the ruined lift shaft.

(you can get into the sewers without having access to the rightmost half of the city, right? I think you can reach the locked manhole as soon as you enter the city through the main gates)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Books On Tape posted:

God I hate the mines. Specifically, those flying things that shoot out the crystals that grow on the ground. I did successfully acquire the dream nail pretty early on, having only defeated the first boss in Crossroads and Hornet. Anything cool and worthwhile I can do with it this early? Are there any other things I can get relatively early that will better my character especially for bosses? I found one of the special attacks from the howling cliffs and I plan to grind a bit to buy whatever mask shard and vessel fragments I can as well as a few charms.

remember the room where you fought the false knight? there's an additional section of it you can reach with walljumping. try going there and looking out for destructible walls, there might be something you can dreamnail for a cool surprise

for future reference, you can deflect the crystal shooters' projectiles by hitting them with your sword. this way you can send them up to grow spikes on the ceiling or wherever so they won't get in your way.