Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Nessus posted:

Excalibur seems like Marvel's Legion of Super-Heroes, it's stuff that's THERE and has had impact but is kind of coralled in its own little brexited ghetto for the most part. I'm sure it also has fanatical devotees. (I'm one.)
I tried to get a set of Excalibur tpbs a few years back and just found some dumb Saturn-9 set that resolved the secret and mysterious worldshaking origins of THE WIDGIT and god drat do I wish I had read more of the actual run before I got to that :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rick posted:

I thought it was dumb when I first read it but I dunno on rereads it feels like it makes sense, at least when Claremont or Davis is writing.
It's a way to resolve Widget's weird randomness and kind of justify it. I just wish I could have gotten the proper build-up to go "oh, okay, that's neat" instead of "the fuq, leave DOFP alone".
I only had about two issues of Excalibur growing up -- one where Widget tosses them through alt realities like 80s Exiles, where Giant-Man loses control of his... giantness? His shallow breaths cause atmospheric disturbances and he basically is confined to standing in the middle of the marianas trench lest he cause apocalyptic tidalwaves. That was cool.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Marvel 2017 : gently caress it, make the Inhumans our mutants

Marvel 2019: gently caress it, make the Mutants more like Inhumans

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Someone thinks Krakoa cloned old Xdudes and is trying to colonize the planet with it's consciousness via the plants and that wouldn't be a terrible fakeout.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Why would you want him to be an underachiever

I will settle for nothing less than Claremontian levels of dialogue
Hear me now men. You stand before Erik Lensherr Magnus, better known to your kind as MAGNETO, THE MASTER OF MAGNETISM.

drat, i'm dry. How do you keep Claremonting this up??

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Open Marriage Night posted:

I’m wondering if it’ll be Sinister or the machines that will have figured out what Moira’s deal is, and found a way to make her into a Trojan Horse. This is like some fifth dimensional chess.
A memetic Moira who exists in alternate timelives to spread a virus or ill ideology is extremely twisted and cool.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Blockhouse posted:

Seems like a real bad idea to restore a franchise to promenience within your fictional shared universe if you're not actually setting the flagship book in said universe?
Not if the point is to get people talking about a franchise that's been left to rot the last few years.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
This is insane and making me want to hit up my LCS since forever.

Also it's a breath of fresh fuckin air compared to how poo poo like Darkseid War/Doomsday Clock ran at DC

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I think it's pretty cool and very Apocalypse that Moira was just in suspended animation until they could sideload the data into her.

Then it was like "Gg, reup"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Martinpale posted:

Oh god, please don't make me say the "slices" thing again. It's like my Tourettes.
I lost track of The Maker after his Children decided he was a dick and Tony had a sentient Infinity Stone tumor.

These Slices thing sounds like Planetary. Is it like Planetary?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Martinpale posted:

I dunno, I haven't checked out Planetary...it's on the list, but the backlog list is looooong.
Check it out! If anything you can say it's a very fun ride.

Thanks for the summary. Not exactly sure why they thought having a megamaniacal evil Reed in every universe would be a good thing to include, but... :doom:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm wondering if Arakko is the TumorSpace in Krakoa. That whole creation myth scrne was something.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Deadly Genesis is told in the interim, after G1 Xguys get trapped on the island and before All New, All Exciting Xguys rescue the franchise.

It's basically a failed rescue mission that gets quickly scrubbed because Xavier botched it with a newbie squad.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Android Blues posted:

Likewise, it's weird to see Storm being so cult-y when a major part of her character arc was accepting that she wasn't a religious figure and needed to treat herself as a human being first.
I'm wondering if Xavier's talk with Emma Frost about the cost of influencing minds and how the subtle push leaves something behind can explain the weird culty poo poo

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MoaM posted:

This issue...feels...not real...?
It feels like someone's creation myth, following Krakoa giving us their creation myth.

And it's doubly in this weird bardo state of dream/myth because Mags is explaining the process to Lorna, so there's a chain of story being invoked there.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Just wondering if I should be worried about Cerebro being a machine that backlogs all the Mutants similar to how Nimrod digitizes people in a Xmen vs SF tankpod.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Endless Mike posted:

Or you could even require them to wear inhibitor collars.
Uhhhhh, haven't we had Olympics related massacres before... :ohdear:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'd like to think it's "at that point genetic engineering makes the mutant human distinction irrellevant" so Moira's working towards some kind of post-human unity.

Maybe We're All Mutants type poo poo with the plant pills.

Else, the point with infecting the World Mind to provide some kind of Phalanx Dominion trojan horse.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Fritzler posted:

I will also say very early on there were a few explanations for why mutants were mutants.
Iirc "Radiation" was like the big reason why most on the first X-Men had powers. Children of the Atom and all that.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Was that Calisto's secondary mutation?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Skwirl posted:

Does anyone besides Emma really have a secondary mutation?
Angel has Healing Tears and Wolverine has HOT KLAWZ?

I actually don't know. I just remember Secondary Mutation! Being a hot thing for a minute and it's pretty funny if it was just marketing PR to make the line interesting but was, like, 3 dudes or something.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Gologle posted:

So is Logan's super senses a secondary mutation or just part of his primary mutation?
The senses are perfectly cromulent if you just accept that his mutation is to be a better Apex predator.

Enhanced senses for tracking, advanced healing, claws, close to the ground...

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
They'll just go back with the Wolverine origin and say she's not a human mutant but a Sciuridae mutate and pretty much a mutant anyway so welcome cousin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sandwolf posted:

I think the argument is more: There are so many loving X-men that no matter what you do, who you focus on, what kind of story you tell - there will be X-men “fans” who are pissed off Character Y isn’t loving Person Z and acting like Anecdote A.
And the other 1/3 are like "but in the Giant Size series, Saberhawk renounced their ninja lineage and in HoXPoXMoX #A they're wearing the clan talisman again so what happened to the plotline no one followed 3 years ago?!"