Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I wonder what happened to Papst, they were great quiet fans at one point. I remember seeing the fan blades with tiny weights on, to balance them.

Looks like they only still do industrial and 120mm fans now?

They still make a lot of stuff, but from what I read their 'silent' sleeve-bearing stuff was matched/eclipsed years ago by the likes of Noctua or Scythes for half the price.
Still make killer ball bearing stuff that will run not-so-silent 24/7 until forever, if you don't mind 40$ for a 120mm casefan that comes with 4" of cable in a shabby brown box.
It's for German super grognards only now :)

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Good god Threadripper is the size of an old school hard drive

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
By AMD standards, that was a pretty good event I reckon.
Okay demo'ing loving Prey with dual AMD Titans/16 cores and have frame tearing was a chuckle :)

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

redeyes posted:

So do we have a rule of thumb for Intel vs Ryzen IPC? Say %20-%30 in favor of Intel?

Zen is basically Broadwell, so much less than that. Kaby Lake (i7-7700K) just clocks several 100 MHz higher.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

So the "fixed" chips - are they all b2 stepping?

Nah, from what I read you'd have to scrape off the thermal paste and look at the production date code on your CPU.
If it's from week 25 (30?) 2017 or later, it's supposed to be fixed.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Risky Bisquick posted:

So what AM4 ITX boards are HDMI 2 or are we waiting on 400 series chipsets?

ATX only, I found 2 boards on a German portal:
MSI X370 XPower Gaming Titanium (7A31-001R)
Biostar Racing X370GT7

From what I understand, HDMI 2.x is not native to AM4 at all and they have to shoehorn in some DisplayPort converter chip to make it work. No idea what the chances are of it showing up in the refresh. I wouldn't count on Netflix 4k content protection etc to survive that.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 9, 2018

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Oh the APU's use thermal paste instead of solder, I wasn't aware of that yet. 'Simple' overclocking is pretty much out of the question as the temp spikes are already real at stock.
The Germans did their thing https://www.computerbase.de/2018-02/ryzen-3-2200g-5-2400g-test-amd-raven-ridge/
99$ R3-2200G is amazing at its price, the 169$ R5 barely an upgrade and not worth the extra cost (unless you run apps that respond to hyperthreading)

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 12, 2018

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Maybe someone else is interested in video playback performance, that info was surprisingly hard to find.
Raven Ridge APUs have a new video decoding engine (VCN) that is very good at playback, VP9, 10bit, H265, no problem (it lacks 10bit hardware encoding though)
Netflix 4K will be possible on RR as soon as the graphics drivers support Microsofts Play Ready 3.0 DRM scheme, which should be the ever popular 'soon'. No idea if it will have the same HDMI monitor only requirement as with Nvidias solution, I wonder how that would work since HDMI 2.x is not a thing yet with AM4 boards.

More info (German) https://www.golem.de/news/ryzen-5-2400g-und-ryzen-3-2200g-im-test-raven-ridge-rockt-1802-132531-3.html

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 12, 2018

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Malcolm XML posted:

Can raven ridge stream Netflix 4k?

Look up my previous post please

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

You'd probably be better of if you just got a Nvidia Shield, Apple TV 4k, Roku Ultra or similar streambox.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
With some (older) games I'd have trouble adjusting brightness/alpha in windowed mode, otherwise Microsofts triple buffer vsync seems so nice I wish they could enforce it in fullscreen, too :shobon:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Seamonster posted:

The exodus has begun!

Bonus pts if you get that reference. (not Prince)

I'd pay 20 more to have a better bin and not bother with manual overclocking:
https://slickdeals.net/f/11448399-amd-ryzen-7-1700x-8-core-3-4-ghz-desktop-processor-240-free-s-h (1700X for 240$ free s/h on newegg)

A higher clocking 2600X will probably be the better choice for general use at that price range, including AAA gaming.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 5, 2018

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Computerbase just did a driveby of the Lenovo IdeaPad 720S, and poor Raven Ridge R7 2700U got the full AMD treatment.
Cooling solution ripped from an old Intel dualcore design, choked to 12W TDP without allowing for short spikes, permanent downclocking if temp limit is exceeded even once, single channel DDR4-2133 :smith:
It was slower than a i7-8650U Surface Book 2 in Overwatch and they had to order a second unit to confirm they didn't receive a lemon, it was so despressing.
https://www.computerbase.de/2018-04/lenovo-ideapad-720s-amd-raven-ridge-test/

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 11, 2018

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Reviews are encouraging.
AMD should have packed a no-LED version of the big boy Prism cooler with the 2600X though, the smaller Spire is really struggling with its job under load.

But then again, the difference between the 2600 and 2600X in games seems to be negligible so just get the cheaper one. Like last time.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Klyith posted:

This is a tough choice this time around. the 1600X was pretty meh because any 1600 non-X could easily OC to the same performance. with Ryzen 2 it looks like there's a lot more performance in the XFR2 special sauce and the X CPUs might be mildly binned for that. So the non-X may not be able to hit the same mark even OCed to the same 4 ghz.

If you hadn't already budgeted for a decent heatsink, definitely take the 2600 and throw in a Hyper 212 with the extra 30 bucks. Ryzen 2000 is definitely throwing more power dissipation around, and to manage it they're using the same types of temp vs power control they have on video cards. So good cooling literally equals more performance.

Good advice, the effective difference between the 2600 and 2600X is like 2% in games. Budget for a decent 30$ tower cooler (or buy a Prism from a 2700X owner who discarded it on ebay) and quality RAM.
If paying extra for the little X makes you feel good, that's fine too. We understand :)

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Kazinsal posted:

StoreMI Is just fakeraid storage tiering, yeah.

Wouldn't be surprised if we saw that tech show up in the next console generation, with a tiny SSD as cache.
If it works without breaking stuff it's not bad for the low end.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

Holy poo poo yes Intel is so turbofucked, if 7nm comes remotely close to what's promised and Intel doesn't make a massive leap above what they've shown to be able to do, they are so hosed.

I wouldn't dance on Intels grave yet until we actually see a finished 7nm high power GloFo product.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
I see the goalposts are already being shifting to post-Navi, very nice.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Stock 2990WX can gulp ~400W under cinebench and ~450W under prime (whole system with an idle 1080ti) :suicide101:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Try the Windows 10 balanced setting, the AMD hack is no longer necessary. Make sure min cpu is not set to 100% by accident :shobon:
Idling at 4+ GHz is deffo not normal unless you're one of the crazy people who clamp it to 100% all the time.
I have no idea what "core performance boost" is though, maybe turn it off? You should run a 2_00X bone stock +XFR and just fix the memory.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Oct 10, 2018

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Harik posted:

E: More thread related, is x265 really tied to single-thread performance? Since the 32-core is beaten by the 16-core and both are trounced by Intel I would have to guess so. It seems really shortsighted to design a modern codec that's tied to a single-thread as core counts explode.

No that's Zen being very mediocre at workloads that make heavy use of AVX.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

It's over 2000 Euro's now......

Mindstar are limited time offers for clearance or loss leaders like that WX, and the closest thing we got in Germany to US prices :unsmith:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Seamonster posted:

Do NOT expect these to be cheap.

It could be if AMD opt for a low power/lower frequency process again.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
So the rumored 3600X would be a single die with 8 cores, no more inter ccx delay and direct access to both Dram channels?
That could be quite the challenger for a stock 9900K :v:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Khorne posted:

Probably not going to happen. DDR5 is coming, and so are massive improvements after zen2. Zen3 is supposed to be another zen2 tier jump, and intel's new stuff will probably be pretty good once it finally arrives in 2020/2021. The next few years are going to be chaos and nothing like 2011-2018.

The first wave of DDR5 is likely to go like the last few gens, barely faster than the top of the line of last gen, just less voltage.
No way affordable sticks are going to be a significant upgrade over 3200CL12/14 DDR4 until several years from now.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

ItBreathes posted:

All existing boards should be drop in compatible with a bios update.

Has this been confirmed for the cheap B350 ones? Also 400 series boards may or may not support new Autoboost v3 features; there should be no rush, just wait and see.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

spasticColon posted:

Is there going to be a non-X 3700 for under $300? I ask because the 3700X is probably going to be marked up to $350-$400 at launch.

It's already the 65W part with 8 cores, don't worry about the marketing names.
Maybe AMD felt that the basic 1700/2700 name implied lackluster performance and retailers had to cut prices too deep on them to move stock, so now every 8core gets an X :)

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

eames posted:

really impressive, though the fact that 8C and 16C both are advertised with 105W TDP (lower baseclock) makes me wonder what they'll really pull under load.

That depends entirely on the Bios implementation.
Sometimes the manufacturer takes the number and turns it into a hard stop, sometimes it's a soft wall that can be temporarily breached (but how far/long varies a lot), sometimes all bets are off and the only limit is the thermal sensors on the CPU.

Of course there are no reviews or lists that I know of that say which board and Bios version do what. It's a surprise :)

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

spasticColon posted:

But seriously, I won't kill my 2500k on purpose but after I build my new system I'm probably going to retire it because I won't get much for it on ebay and I would have to buy a new PSU for my 2500k rig as well because my current HX650 PSU is also 8 years old.

Dunno if it's still the case with 6+ cores becoming the norm and DDR4 speeds going into the stratosphere, but a while ago you could sell a working Z series Sandy mainboard for several 100$

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Marinmo posted:

Oh you sweet summer child. For future reference;

US, Microcenter (web);
2600X (w/ cooler) + B450M - $189 + $75 for 2x8GB RAM = $264 total (add another $40 for fullsize ATX)

Europe (web);
2600X OEM (ie no cooler) + B450 + 2x8GB RAM = $483

And then you have the additional cost of a cooler on top of that, to make things totally equal. Considering flights to New York run about $300 nowadays you're one more computer part away from breaking even, especially if it's a graphics card.

Where have you been looking, Norway? You can put those items into an Amazon Germany cart for 165+75(cheapish B450) and ~70€ for 2x8GB Ram unless you gotta have THE STILT. 350USD including tax.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jul 4, 2019

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
They'll be fine. If you're really using those cores you want quad-channel memory to go with it.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Last minute question on the drive to microcenter. 3700x or 3600x for gaming? I think the 3700x is more a productivity cpu from the benches and specs I've seen leaked but the +2 cores may be end up mattering if the next console Gen is 8core. I guess that's in the future and saving 80 bucks now is better so probably a 3600x for me.

If you intend to keep that Ryzen3000 system for a couple of years with 32 gigs of good Ram, I would not go for 6 cores anymore at this point unless you do a strict budget build with a 3600+B450 board.
Stuff like recent Ubisoft games or online MMO shooters are asking for 6 cores already to run smoothly; you'll kick yourself in 2-3 years for skimping on 80$ now.

Also imo the 3600X and 3800X are traps just like the previous gens, low single digit performance increase for blowing 30-50W more heat out of your case. And the higher upfront cost ofc.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jul 7, 2019

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

The 3700x looks like a beast bone stock. Indistinguishable from a 9900K in games, sipping ~82W peak total package :allears:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Sininu posted:

Uuh, would picking a good B450 mobo for 3700X and 3200Mhz memory be a decent idea now that we have all this info?

Sure, if
-you run at stock clocks and whatever they call AMD Boost 3.0 now
-the mainboard Bios can be updated through an USB stick, without a CPU present (3000 series and old Bios would likely not boot)
some vendors offer to do this update at their shop

DDR4-3200 CL16 is mass market Ram now. No reason to go any slower.
DDR4-3600 CL17 is a small step up for 2x8GB. For 3600 2x16 you'll need to drop to CL 18 or even 19 to not break the bank, at that point you might aswell stay with 3200 CL16

The stock 3700X looks to be the perfect allround CPU with no more gaming weakness, and no gambling on 6 cores being enough for the next 5 years.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 7, 2019

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

pootiebigwang posted:

What’s the consensus on trying to overclock a 3600 on a Tomahawk b450? As long as I have a good fan will it remain stable?

The consensus is to not overclock a zen3000 at all. It's not worth the trouble nor the increased heat output.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

eames posted:

"The Stilt" posted in-depth technical info at overclock.net, the best technical review of Zen 2 I've seen so far:

more here, including IPC analysis, voltage/frequency graphs, SMT, Asus allegedly repeating the "MCE" review drama, etc.
https://www.overclock.net/forum/10-amd-cpus/1728758-strictly-technical-matisse-not-really.html#/topics/1728758

quote:

The external power measurements (VRM DCR) revealed that the CPU was consuming significantly more power, than its power management should have allowed it to. I initially suspected that this was AMDs own doing, in an effort trying
to boost the performance of the new CPUs even further, but further investigation indicated otherwise.

AMD had no part in it, and the actions by ASUS are the sole reason behind it. The investigation revealed that ASUS is altering one or more power
management parameters of the CPU, causing it believe it consumes less power than it actually does. As a result, the frequencies will be higher than the actual power budget would normally allow to. Tricks like this are pretty much a common (mal)practice these
days however, there is a good reason why this must be considered worse than the others: this "thing" is completely undetectable without external measurements and rather deep knowledge, but also there is no way to disable it either.

What shady poo poo is ASUS up to this time? I hope AMD is considering a public statement and/or cutting them loose, even if they are a kinda big player.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

In other news. I bought the 3600 from Newegg. I don't think I want to spend the money on the 3700x and things seem to say that the 3600 and 3600x have about the same performance, so only spending 200 dollars is fine by me. What board do people recommend between 1-200 dollars? I'm used to Asus stuff I was thinking about getting this Asus prime X470 board. All the X570 boards seem to be above 200 dollars. Is X470 ok or am I going to end up limiting myself in some way? The Asus board has pretty much what I need. A bunch of USB 3 ports, 5.1 sound, and M.2.

For a budget build like that, good old MSI B450 Tomahawk should be the way to go: https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Crossfire-Motherboard-B450-Tomahawk/dp/B07F7W5KJS/

Be sure to update the Bios of a 400 board before you plug in the CPU. Procedure will vary for other brands/models. Version numbers are outdated.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Alpha Mayo posted:

I think I settled on going for 3700x, the only other option I'm thinking about is going for a 3600 right now for $200, then upgrading whenever Zen3 comes out since it should also be am4. I'm guessing that's 18 months away? Would I regret going 6core even if it's just for 18 months?

18 months? No regrets.
If you're building a thing now to never touch again (except GPU) for 5 years, I would not go with a sixcore. In that case 3700X or i7-9700K can become a tougher question.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jul 14, 2019

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Party Boat posted:

Hmm. I posted in the parts picker thread that I'm looking for a replacement for my i5-2500k which has done me proud for almost 8 years. I was looking at a 2600 or 3600 as a good value replacement that would work for gaming at 1080p, but if I'm looking for a CPU that will fit the same niche of "keeps chugging along for years to come" should I be saving up for a 3700X? Or get a 2600 now and plan to upgrade in a few years' time? I'm currently using a GTX 1060 6GB so I guess that will be the new bottleneck whatever I do.

6 core is great value for gaming right now, but considering the next console gens are all but confirmed to have custom 3rd gen Zen octacores :shrug:
Impossible to say for sure how it'll pan out. Many ppl are asking that question and no one knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

Is there a list of motherboards that actually work with the 3xxx out of the box?

MSI is respinning the B450 Tomahawk and other 400 boards with a larger Bios chip. They should have MAX in the name and be out soonish?
Those will support Zen 3000's for sure.